Finished astralaria and gift of battle was uncalled for

Teefy.5016

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Holy Security.9724 said:

@Teefy.5016 said:first, semantics. context is player vs player in whatever shape or form. i dont care.second, so what.

Believe me, if it was real PvP you would have complained more. Like, a lot more. Therefore the difference between WvW and PvP is important here.

Both PvP tracks and WvW tracks takes around the same time and that is accounting for queue times and assholes not clicking the Ready button. There is also no need to deal with participation levels. There are also a bunch of custom arenas made by people specifically for completing the PvP dailes in case you want to skip actual fighting whereas the similar ones for WvW still has a probability of having to fight people so PvP would have been any worse.

@"Hesacon.8735" said:I mainly play wvw and crafted Astralaria; and I can tell you a lifetime in wvw is better than completing the "Not So Secret" jumping puzzle once.

There are several things that can make that easier too and that is is ignoring the fact that there are often people portaling people to that chest.

@Tails.9372 said:

@Strider Pj.2193 said:Count the threads where a WvW player hasn’t started off by saying give me the GoE with just WvW.

Unsurprisingly since he can just skip the whole process and buy the legendary directly from the TP. However, these threads are always about gen 2 legendaries which can't be bought from the TP and GoE is not a factor. Comparing GoB to GoE in the context of gen 2 legendaries is like comparing apples to oranges.

Generation 2 legendaries are not able to be bought on the TP

@Teefy.5016 said:Those that took the (massive) effort to create a legendary will know that its 99.9% pve till you get to the point where you, for whatever reason, need to do pvp to get gift of battle.

After all that, the incredible amount of materials, time and effort it takes you to get to your final hurdle (spent in pve content): pvp for 6-7 hours.

I'm salty and i need to vent my rage of this utter random and uncalled for requirement. i never pvp'd before, by design. yadda yadda its a legendary, its supposed to be hard yadda yadda.

That 6 hours of pvp is insignificant on the large scale. what the actual kitten ><.

(i have no illusion this post will somehow change anything, whatsover. i just want to express my disappointment over this seemingly random descision.)

Spends 124 hours chopping elder wood.Complains about the 6 hours of low threat pvp,

sounds legit.

@Mazreal Blackknight.1564 said:

@Strider Pj.2193 said:Count the threads where a WvW player hasn’t started off by saying give me the GoE with just WvW.

Unsurprisingly since he can just skip the whole process and buy the legendary directly from the TP. However, these threads are always about gen 2 legendaries which can't be bought from the TP and GoE is not a factor. Comparing GoB to GoE in the context of gen 2 legendaries is like comparing apples to oranges.

Generation 2 legendaries are not able to be bought on the TPcan't = can not

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@"Lite Ning Strike.5203" said:I can see what the OP was referring too, the game does advertise itself as "play how you like" but then puts stipulations on certain items.The game is not advertised in that way. The "play as you like" is an oft-repeated partial quote about gear grind: the idea is that you should be able to gear up without having to grind. And the game still works that way: you can play pve, fractals, wvw, pvp, and still get full exotic or full ascended.

Premium skins have never worked like that; there's always been additional hoops to thread and needs to jump through.

While I agree that rewards were never included in any, "play as you like" statements by ANet, I have not seen any such statements referring to gearing up. Do you have a reference?

I have seen:

"Choose Your RoleEvery profession in Guild Wars 2 can contribute meaningfully to the fight. Pick the way you want to play!"

and...

"Races and ProfessionsYour character should be about what you want to play."

I also saw a statement on the outside of the original box. I don't remember the exact wording, but it also had to do with profession choice.

@Mazreal Blackknight.1564 said:

Generation 2 legendaries are not able to be bought on the TPThey also do not need GoE, so again, it's not a factor.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

Generation 2 legendaries are not able to be bought on the TPThey also do not need GoE, so again, it's not a factor.You still need to complete pretty much all of PvE though. Spending a couple of hours in WvW doing nothing more than... uh, PvE... and being AFK... is dead simple in comparison.

@"Lite Ning Strike.5203" said:I can see what the OP was referring too, the game does advertise itself as "play how you like" but then puts stipulations on certain items. I think they need to look at an option to for all areas to earn Legendary Status items in their particular area (PvE, WvW, PvP). I have no issue earning gifts of Battles because I run the reward track and have it set to reoccurring, and I usually do 1 or 2 dailies over there. But lots of others don't even want to go into WvW for a daily.

I personally would like to be able to craft Legendary Armor in PvE ( not just Raids)....

finally someone who elegantly summarised my complaint. thanks !

Be thankful you don't need wvw map completion anymore.

Edit - use some reward track boosters/enrichment, stick with a zerg and farm to t6 participation. Then you can even afk on an unfilled BL and tag a sentry/camp every now and then to keep participation up - or stay with the zerg. Pretty mindless and less than 8 hours depending on boosters.

Everytime I see these kind of threads I like to recite my grind for The Shinning Blade,

I'm a WvWer and wanted The Shinning Blade. Part way through it I realized that I would have to super grind a lot of arbitrary HoT mastery points and it was going to suck. I came on forums and suggested they implement a merchant that allowed WvWers and PvEers to exchange some of those "proof of mastery" type gifts between modes. A bunch of PvEers came in and said suck it up and just do them. Well I spent probably 50-75hrs beating my head on the HoT mastery point grind wall but I finally did it.

So now I have earned the authority to tell ya, Good Luck in WvW.

! Currently working on Aurora precursor and it's another PvE grindfest. You end up repeating a lot of dead map content, hello Wayfarer Henge. I have to actually tagup in pve to get anything done... Be thankful you are not required to tagup in WvW to accomplish gift of battle.

It seems the problem lies in waiting until the very end to grind out the Gift of Battle. If you just do 1 WvW daily per day while working on legendaries then you will be close to or have already claimed the Gift of Battle by the time all other legendary requirements are met. There is almost always 1 quick and effortless WvW daily available each day that doesn't require any skill or actual combat with other players.

• Big Spender: Just talk to a Merchant
  • Veteran Creature Slayer: AFK until the vet spawns
  • Master of Monuments: Just stand in a circle for around 10 seconds
  • Land Claimer: Kill one vet NPC and stand in the circle that spawns afterwards
  • Mists Guard Killer: Kill any 5 vet NPCs

@Teefy.5016 said:

@InvaGir.9158 said:Took you 6 hours to do the gift of battle reward track and you complain?!it takes me days if not weeks to actually complete it :\

im confused.
i had no idea what i was doing

This ^ mostly explains why the following:

@Boysenberry.1869 said:It seems the problem lies in waiting until the very end to grind out the Gift of Battle. If you just do 1 WvW daily per day while working on legendaries then you will be close to or have already claimed the Gift of Battle by the time all other legendary requirements are met. There is almost always 1 quick and effortless WvW daily available each day that doesn't require any skill or actual combat with other players.

Wasn’t done.

The takeaway and I guess cautionary tale is: ask. People would have (despite some obvious and obnoxious trolls) offered advice and guidance before starting. It makes life easier.

This situation, where players wait until finishing the PvE aspects before starting to work on getting their GoB, comes up with some degree of frequency, either here or in game. It leads to the sort of disappointment that could be so easily avoided by doing some research, finding a guide, asking others, etc BEFORE starting the entire process. Not a perfect solution, but a decent way to minimize this particular source of dissatisfaction.

@Boysenberry.1869 said:It seems the problem lies in waiting until the very end to grind out the Gift of Battle. If you just do 1 WvW daily per day while working on legendaries then you will be close to or have already claimed the Gift of Battle by the time all other legendary requirements are met. There is almost always 1 quick and effortless WvW daily available each day that doesn't require any skill or actual combat with other players.

Yes ... impatience plus poor planning can result in frustration.

I don't know if anyone said this yet, but XP boosters work wonders towards the WVW reward track.

Also, it's a legendary. An item that you should expect anything to come down your way. WvW is a treat compared to stuff like needing a ton of Aurillium for Gift of the Exalted or Airship Parts for Gift of the Itzel (same applies to Tangled Depths), or if you're doing Gift of Desert Mastery, the insane timegatedness of needing Incense. Not to mention you need to do Renown Hearts to get them. Also, it takes a minimum of 14 days.

The point is: legendaries are called legendaries for a reason. They're to show that you've went through a lot to get them. So with that being said: congratulations on your axe :)

@Teefy.5016 said:first, semantics. context is player vs player in whatever shape or form. i dont care.second, so what.It's different. I do WvW every day to chip away at my next Gift of Battle and PVP has very little to do with the process. The way I like it. I'm on my 25th Gift of Battle, so I KNOW it requires very little PVP to obtain. BUT, it does require a small bit of wvw gameplay understanding. FIRST, focus on dailies to get reward track boosters, don't follow the zerg.

If you complain about clovers, we can ALL have a good cry together >hugs<.

@"keenedge.9675" said:I do WvW every day to chip away at my next Gift of Battle and PVP has very little to do with the process.

That's because you don't care about the objective. WvW is PvP, you're just not in direct competition but at it's core it's a simple "whichever team gathers the most amount of points within the given time limit wins" kind of gamemode.

Now you don't have to engage in direct combat with other players but most players generally don't like these kind of PvP based game modes for the simple fact that someone could gank them at any time which, while it generally has little impact on the porgression speed, is extremely anoying.

Archived