Im not getting the skyscale.

I can understand what OP is saying, which seems many have missed : the warning regarding other episodes of living story 4 comes at the eggs sightseeing stage, which by then you'd have already invested a significant amount of time on your skyscale.

OP isn't asking to have his stuff for free, that some other posters have assumed so is rather sad and dismissive. OP Simply states that if he had known before starting the skyscale questline, he wouldn't have bothered, seeing as he cannot complete it without paying for it. Which to be honest, is a fair statement. The warning could stand to come sooner.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Saving_Skyscales

By the time you receive this, you've already gone through the hoops of finding the medicine, the individual sick skyscales and the eggs. It's a considerable amount of time invested.

@"Naxos.2503" said:I can understand what OP is saying, which seems many have missed : the warning regarding other episodes of living story 4 comes at the eggs sightseeing stage, which by then you'd have already invested a significant amount of time on your skyscale.

OP isn't asking to have his stuff for free, that some other posters have assumed so is rather sad and dismissive. OP Simply states that if he had known before starting the skyscale questline, he wouldn't have bothered, seeing as he cannot complete it without paying for it. Which to be honest, is a fair statement. The warning could stand to come sooner.

By the time you receive this, you've already gone through the hoops of finding the medicine, the individual sick skyscales and the eggs. It's a considerable amount of time invested.

So he has it done, until he completes..the old content... I don't really see the problem. It's not wasted.. It's done for when he's ready to g et back to it..and if he likes the game, he will come back to it once he's unlocked the older content.

@Taygus.4571 said:

@"Naxos.2503" said:I can understand what OP is saying, which seems many have missed : the warning regarding other episodes of living story 4 comes at the eggs sightseeing stage, which by then you'd have already invested a significant amount of time on your skyscale.

So he has it done, until he completes..the old content... I don't really see the problem. It's not wasted.. It's done for when he's ready to g et back to it..and if he likes the game, he will come back to it once he's unlocked the older content.

Again, that's not the point, the warning comes at the second stage. It should come at the first stage, that's all

That's really not much to change to be honest

@AgentMoore.9453 said:The Skyscale has caused a lot of division between players, and the first step toward ending that is to stop sniping one another for liking or disliking this mount.

ArenaNet's implementation of the Skyscale has faced sharp criticism, and I believe it is fair for people to say as much if it's really what they believe. Conveyance has been such a big problem in the game that it has become a meme among my friends to say 'conveyance' whenever we encounter something critical to a story or game mechanic that has not been properly explained or otherwise conveyed in plain view.

Posting about limited time in-game events on Twitter and outside social media only. Poor. Running promotions and changing their terms after the fact. Poor. Introducing the breakbar mechanic without sufficient explanation and example. Poor. Hyping a new mount that is tied into the acquirement of a new legendary and that requires large amounts of purchased content without making those requirements clear until partway into the acquirement process. Poor.

ArenaNet has (and will continue to) play it by ear and make adjustments where they see fit. Feedback like this is necessary, and no good will come from infighting. The info-delivery aspect of the Skyscale is currently lacking, and that is the problem touched on in this thread.

It can not get more accurate than this.

You havent tho, you finished some collections in the newest map that give ap and cost hardly anything in the grand scheme of things.OP can see it as getting rented mount in new map for some running around free of charge.

@Linken.6345 said:

You havent tho, you finished some collections in the newest map that give ap and cost hardly anything in the grand scheme of things.OP can see it as getting rented mount in new map for some running around free of charge.

That's true, but it's probably not the actual problem I feel, I think they're sour because they're stuck on a wall they didn't see coming. Having the warning come when gorrik first contact you would easily solve their query

@Derdzvero.7051 said:

@Zuldari.3940 said:So the mount is not accessible to all players, new players have to pay for it, real nice anet.

Shady very shady.

GW2 is NOT free 2 play. It's a wrong and shady advertisement.Nothing meaningful in this game is available without buying whole content - perhaps lws2 is not a must, but all the rest is (provided you want to gear multiple chars and participate in all activities/have all mounts).Every new player should calculate 2 expansions and lws3+4 at very least.

My advice: . Collect all the gold you can - everything in GW2 gets cut down to gathering gold (by simply run&tag mobs or doing same big bullet sponges again and again). With that gold you can buy yourself content, gear up , bypass timegates, collections and so on.Sounds boring and brain dead? Yes. It's getting worse.

@Zuldari.3940 said:So the mount is not accessible to all players, new players have to pay for it, real nice anet.

Shady very shady.

GW2 is NOT free 2 play. It's a wrong and shady advertisement.Nothing meaningful in this game is available without buying whole content - perhaps lws2 is not a must, but all the rest is (provided you want to gear multiple chars and participate in all activities/have all mounts).Every new player should calculate 2 expansions and lws3+4 at very least.

My advice: . Collect all the gold you can - everything in GW2 gets cut down to gathering gold (by simply run&tag mobs or doing same big bullet sponges again and again). With that gold you can buy yourself content, gear up , bypass timegates, collections and so on.Sounds boring and brain dead? Yes. It's getting worse.

You can do every aspect of the game as a free to play player except raid.

No, you can't. You can't sell stuff on TP and thus you can't get even basic amount of funds. Most I could get back then from running around for world events was exotic gear for 1 character (cheapest Nika set). That's it. Forget about anything else.

That's true. Restrictions have to be in place to stop gold sellers, which is good for everyone, however, there are people who play this game who don't sell much on the TP anyone. I'm one of them. Not being able to sell stuff on the TP means you'll get gold slower, not that you can't get gold. Pretty much every free to play restriction is an anti-goldseller measure. This is why we can't have nice things. The fact remains, you can run dungeons, do fractals, do world bosses, do WvW and SPvP, zone complete. If you want to do more, the buy in has been on sale for $15 as a one time charge. I repeat, no game has had as generous a free to play version. If this game isn't free to play, none of them are.

@Derdzvero.7051 said:

Shady very shady.

On the plus side at least gold farming is an option in this game so you have a choice whether to invest more time or money.

You know, we are talking about ~7 dollars here (or less when offered at discount). For a boatload of content.
Heaven forbid the OP should ever want Ascended trinkets, or anything else, from Season 3. (Does OP even own HoT?)

At most, one has invested $50 at this time; at least, invested $15.

Pro-tip for new players: The Wiki (link above and accessible in-game by typing /Wiki ) is a great informational resource for all things Guild Wars 2.

Fear not; there's plenty to do, to experience, to enjoy while you acquire whatever is needed to access all content.

Again, welcome to Tyria, and good luck!

@Blocki.4931 said:They clearly wrote multiple disclaimers, at the very start of the collection the MAIL you get it in RED TEXT that you require ALL EPISODES. This wasn't some secret hidden information...

That mail is sent after collecting the eggs / when Gorrik moves to Sun's Refuge (which is where they said they found out).

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:At most, one has invested $50 at this time; at least, invested $15.

(or $0, since they were giving away PoF for free)

I'm just wondering... one month after starting a game (this type of game, with a huuuuge world and story to discover) the most important thing to care about is the newest, last released mount...?

OP, you don't need the skyscale anywhere - actually its nice to have but if you have the other mounts - the "big five" from PoF - you have everything you need to start your journey through Tyria.

But then, i remember 6 years ago, as i started GW2 ( at that time i was already playing for few month but still leveling new chars, testing classes, experiencing new paths of the story) reading in map chat "hey, i started playing last week. how do i get legendary weapons"Don't know... for me the experience of exploring a new game, leveling the first chars are the best part of (mmo)-rpg. But i guess that's just me :)

@Healix.5819 said:

@Blocki.4931 said:They clearly wrote multiple disclaimers, at the very start of the collection the MAIL you get it in RED TEXT that you require ALL EPISODES. This wasn't some secret hidden information...

That mail is sent after collecting the eggs / when Gorrik moves to Sun's Refuge (which is where they said they found out).

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:At most, one has invested $50 at this time; at least, invested $15.

(or $0, since they were giving away PoF for free)

Indeed. The OP does seem to indicate that cost is an issue, not that completing some content is an issue.

@AgentMoore.9453 said:The Skyscale has caused a lot of division between players, and the first step toward ending that is to stop sniping one another for liking or disliking this mount.

ArenaNet's implementation of the Skyscale has faced sharp criticism, and I believe it is fair for people to say as much if it's really what they believe. Conveyance has been such a big problem in the game that it has become a meme among my friends to say 'conveyance' whenever we encounter something critical to a story or game mechanic that has not been properly explained or otherwise conveyed in plain view.

Posting about limited time in-game events on Twitter and outside social media only. Poor. Running promotions and changing their terms after the fact. Poor. Introducing the breakbar mechanic without sufficient explanation and example. Poor. Hyping a new mount that is tied into the acquirement of a new legendary and that requires large amounts of purchased content without making those requirements clear until partway into the acquirement process. Poor.

ArenaNet has (and will continue to) play it by ear and make adjustments where they see fit. Feedback like this is necessary, and no good will come from infighting. The info-delivery aspect of the Skyscale is currently lacking, and that is the problem touched on in this thread.

Best post I've read in these forums all week. The presentation and (non) explanation of the Skyscale's acquisition was very poorly handled and I hope ANet has learned from it.

@Zuldari.3940 said:Well i went through all the initial hoops not happy at all with the amount of stuff you have to get and time you have to wait to get the mount. But the straw that broke the camels back was finding out after i got the eggs, that i have to do every LW4 story in order to proceed forward with getting the mount. Yeah new account i dont have those LW parts, and im not paying them to buy them. I wish they had made the requirements clear from the start. So the mount is not accessible to all players, new players have to pay for it, real nice anet.

Oh and before someone comes in to fanboi for anet about the roller beetle was the same. No it wasnt, you couldnt even start anything for the roller beetle until you unlocked the story for it. I know i had to buy it, the skyscale is not like that, it made it available to start for everyone. Shady very shady.

Arenanet gave away access to the previous episodes for the 4 weeks prior to ep6's release.And you want to call them shady?

That's an ugly attitude.

@Lady Celtaine.3760 said:

@"Palador.2170" said:They actually told us that we'd need all of LS4 before we started on it, but it wasn't announced in the game anywhere. So it's not like they were hiding it, it's just a message that some people missed.

And as for the "made it available to start for everyone", no. They made it available to start for anyone that has that chapter of LS4 AND PoF. (AKA: The people most likely to have the rest of LS4 unlocked.) And they recently offered each of the other LS4 chapters for free for a week each, for those that hadn't unlocked them for free already. If you're so disinterested in the story that you didn't get them, then I think the rest of the collection might be enough to deter you even if you did have them. (You need, amongst other things, 250 of the currency item from EACH of the 6 zones).

@Danikat.8537 said:I suspect Anet didn't anticipate many players with a 1 month old account jumping straight to trying to unlock one of the latest long-term(ish) goals immediately. Or that people in that situation would want to do it without unlocking all of the preceding content.

I can see how it would be a problem in that situation, but I can't imagine there's large numbers of people who are doing that.

However the fact that it requires all the other Season 4 episodes doesn't mean you can't get it, just that you're several steps behind people who had already unlocked those maps and will be doing it in a different order. They're still available to buy, and you can buy them with gold. Yes it will take a lot longer than if you'd already done that before the skyscale was released (which is really the only alternative - no one is getting it without unlocking and playing those episodes) but there is a huge difference between something which is going to take longer than expected and something which is genuinely impossible.@OPThis. And LW s4 episode requirement info is on the Skyscale's page on the wiki
see section "NOTES" and has been since the page revision on the 22nd of May. If you were using that as a guide at any point in the last week I'm surprised you just found out tonight. Ultimately it's not impossible to get the Skyscale as it's not required to pay real cash to unlock the other episodes via gold to gem transfer, it just means you have more grinding to do than the people who were there from the start of season 4. It's not the end of the world, you won't get permanently locked out of mount collections just because you get to them later than other people. You won't be alone, there will always be people doing the collection as it won't matter if you missed the start of LWs4 by a month, six months, or a year, a lot of players will be doing it retrospectively.

Does that mean all of the episodes completed or just to get to the new zone though? I often wind up not completing an ep because of something flashy or something, but always play to the new zone and buy the node.

@Menadena.7482 said:

@"Palador.2170" said:They actually told us that we'd need all of LS4 before we started on it, but it wasn't announced in the game anywhere. So it's not like they were hiding it, it's just a message that some people missed.

And as for the "made it available to start for everyone", no. They made it available to start for anyone that has that chapter of LS4 AND PoF. (AKA: The people most likely to have the rest of LS4 unlocked.) And they recently offered each of the other LS4 chapters for free for a week each, for those that hadn't unlocked them for free already. If you're so disinterested in the story that you didn't get them, then I think the rest of the collection might be enough to deter you even if you did have them. (You need, amongst other things, 250 of the currency item from EACH of the 6 zones).

@Danikat.8537 said:I suspect Anet didn't anticipate many players with a 1 month old account jumping straight to trying to unlock one of the latest long-term(ish) goals immediately. Or that people in that situation would want to do it without unlocking all of the preceding content.

I can see how it would be a problem in that situation, but I can't imagine there's large numbers of people who are doing that.

However the fact that it requires all the other Season 4 episodes doesn't mean you can't get it, just that you're several steps behind people who had already unlocked those maps and will be doing it in a different order. They're still available to buy, and you can buy them with gold. Yes it will take a lot longer than if you'd already done that before the skyscale was released (which is really the only alternative - no one is getting it without unlocking and playing those episodes) but there is a huge difference between something which is going to take longer than expected and something which is genuinely impossible.@OPThis. And LW s4 episode requirement info is on the Skyscale's page on the wiki
see section "NOTES" and has been since the page revision on the 22nd of May. If you were using that as a guide at any point in the last week I'm surprised you just found out tonight. Ultimately it's not impossible to get the Skyscale as it's not required to pay real cash to unlock the other episodes via gold to gem transfer, it just means you have more grinding to do than the people who were there from the start of season 4. It's not the end of the world, you won't get permanently locked out of mount collections just because you get to them later than other people. You won't be alone, there will always be people doing the collection as it won't matter if you missed the start of LWs4 by a month, six months, or a year, a lot of players will be doing it retrospectively.

Does that mean all of the episodes completed or just to get to the new zone though? I often wind up not completing an ep because of something flashy or something, but always play to the new zone and buy the node.

Just the zone.

@Gop.8713 said:

@Gop.8713 said:Have I been remiss? Was I supposed to be making threads about all the things in the game that I've chosen not to do . . ?

Yes. Feedback is important. If there's something wrong with the game that prevents you from playing it, then you might as well voice it. On the off chance that the devs change it, or that somebody else has advice that will help you through it.

kk, haven't encountered anything like that since ep 4. That doesn't seem relevant to this thread though, where someone is choosing to avoid content rather than being prevented from playing it . . .

Figuratively. Not literally.

The Skyscale isn't even worth it. It has been sitting fully upgraded on my main account for days without being used once. Flashy Spyro wannabe to impress players that don't have it, sure. Usable? Not by a long shot. Just a giant waste of time and energy.

If I'd known the cost and content of the entire Skyscale collection I would have never done it. Not in a million years.