Its time to make map waypoints account wide

Map exploration is very fun and rewarding, my main character is only missing the last few living world chapters, but when it comes to alts the feeling turns sour and daunting.

Would it be too much to make waypoints account wide? With all currencies, mounts and vanities now being account wide for convenience sake, there is just no reason for waypoints to remain outside of it all.

I would love to do dailies and other things with my second alt, but I always turn to my main because of the map ease of access.

@"Etria.3642" said:They do have a waypoint thing in the gemstore...so I doubt this would ever be a thing.

They could have also monetized account wide mounts, currencies and vanities, but they didnt. I have like 50 of those "teleport to a friend" thingies I have no idea where they came from, and yet I only used 5 of them and I had to pester random strangers in Lion's Arch asking them to port somewhere so I could port there myself. Its just an outdated system.

There are things to overcome to make it happen

• It must be optional. I would not want this for my alts
  • It ideally should avoid toons waypointing to areas well above them. Eg too many low levels porting to level 80 zones would cause a range of issues
  • A fair compensation for those who had bought the waypoint unlock gemstore items for a non-trivial cost (not the teleport to friend things) of 600 gems per region and 2000 gems for the package https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Waypoint_Unlock_Box
  • Something to replace any income lost from the removal of those items

To be honest I don't see it happening. They moved it to a gemstore unlock per region. Outdated or not, they will make money on these simple convenience items

The other day, I was late for inquest golem mk.2, but I didn't have any waypoints south of lions arch. So, with 2 minutes before the pre event, I hopped on petie and...

... actually made it?

Yeah, the roller beetle kinda makes waypoints redundant, so I can't see a large market for this change

this sounds more like convenience for lazy players rather than actually good idea for improving the gameplay.waypoints make a notable chunk of the map completion progress, and having them all automatically unlocked makes actually exploring maps completely pointless. not to mention that with all waypoints unlocked, the whole map completion progress would get cut significantly since its extremely easy to just hop between the waypoints to reach the other locations required for map completion. the gifts of exploration are supposed to be something you earn through effort, not something that is handed out for half free.plus waypoints are a notable source of xp especially for low level characters, and this would screw up the balancing in all low level maps for low level players.

Waypoints are a really annoying thing about alts...

They're a completely trivial part of "Exploration" and map completion too, since half of them have quite generous activation ranges. Most of map completion time is spent on getting the more numerous PoI's that feel like you need to be stood on exactly the right pixel for them to check off as well as grinding out all the Hearts.

It was quite nice to find that Dragon's Stand just gives you the entire zone's worth of Waypoints for free upon entering the zone (Albeit with the caveat that a lot of the time they're all contested anyway :p ).

Would be quite nice to have that for more places, if not account wide WP unlocks (Though, I'm biased since I do already have 100% map completion on my Thief from way back before HoT as well as most of HoT and PoF zones WP's)

It is however unlikely, due to the Gem Store offering character specific WP unlocks, which suggests they want to try and keep WP's annoying so people are more inclined to buy the 2k Gem bundle for each of their alts...

@aaron.7850 said:I would love to do dailies and other things with my second alt, but I always turn to my main because of the map ease of access.

Which means you then have to spend time on your alt, exploring the waypoints, etc. What you are asking is for ANET to help you spend less time playing their game, and why would any MMO developer, or any game studio for that matter, want to do that?

@Westenev.5289 said:The other day, I was late for inquest golem mk.2, but I didn't have any waypoints south of lions arch. So, with 2 minutes before the pre event, I hopped on petie and...

... actually made it?

Couldn't resist to stop how long I needed :)

• exit LS at Cavern WP to Durmant
  • use the portal from Durmant to Fort Trinity
  • use mount to Golem MK 2

under 2 min 30 sec from LS to Golem MK 2 :)

@Dayra.7405 said:

@Westenev.5289 said:The other day, I was late for inquest golem mk.2, but I didn't have any waypoints south of lions arch. So, with 2 minutes before the pre event, I hopped on petie and...

... actually made it?

Couldn't resist to stop how long I needed :)
  • exit LS at Cavern WP to Durmant
  • use the portal from Durmant to Fort Trinity
  • use mount to Golem MK 2

under 2 min 30 sec from LS to Golem MK 2 :)

I went the long way - Blood tide Coast to Sparkfly (follow the right swampy side of the map, being careful not to crash into trees), then into Mount Maelstrom. From there, Roller beetle down the southern coast, and use your skimmer to go the rest of the way. Make sure you actually trigger a waypoint, since it's actually possible to have no way points on this map using this method.

I made it in ample time, and got WP's for the Destroyer WB.

Why would they have waypoint unlock packs in the gemstore to then shoot their income on that and make them accountwide?

Why would I play any other characters if I don't even have to map on them anymore? What's the point?

I still believe alot of content should be more character bound (or replayable) to increase replayability. (like repeatable achievements or masteries)

This game is already the most altoholic friendly MMO I've ever played. Waypoints are easy enough to get. There are plenty of tricks to get around, including using the guild teleporter on new alts to take you to guild mission locations. Mounts are unlocked account wide, so I see no reason to make waypoints unlocked account wide. If you already have mounts, getting around is easy anyway.

• Like 1

@Dayra.7405 said:

@Westenev.5289 said:since it's actually possible to have no way points on this map using this method.

No it's not possible to have NO way point on a map you ever entered, when you enter it the first time the nearest one is yours, irrelebvant how close you are/come.

Head into mount maelstrom from fort trinity (Straight of Devistation). The opening waypoint is far away enough to miss if you don't deliberately move to trigger it, and there is no auto unlocked waypoint. If you don't believe me, give it a try.

@Westenev.5289 said:

@Westenev.5289 said:since it's actually possible to have no way points on this map using this method.

No it's not possible to have NO way point on a map you ever entered, when you enter it the first time the nearest one is yours, irrelebvant how close you are/come.

Head into mount maelstrom from fort trinity (Straight of Devistation). The opening waypoint is far away enough to miss if you don't deliberately move to trigger it, and there is no auto unlocked waypoint. If you don't believe me, give it a try.

Oh, you're right. But I am quite sure, that there once was an auto-unlock, maybe it's even a bug now :)

@Dayra.7405 said:

Oh, you're right. But I am quite sure, that there once was an auto-unlock, maybe it's even a bug now :)

Same is true for Kessex hills when you enter it from Queensdale. If you do not walk close enough, it does not unlock.