Movie quality cinematic trailer for new expansion

I know GW2 has it own style when doing cinematics, either the concept art looking flats motion graphics or use in game model to create a scene. However I hope to see a high quality produced CG trailer for upcoming expansion, something matches the new Shadowland or Diablo 4 trailer.I know some people gonna say “I don’t care about a fancy CG trailer, give more better game content” yes we always need good game content, but I think it will worth the time and money put into it for a great advertising, even if it’s a very short and sweet cinematics. And we can be more proudly showing the game to friends and on social media.GW2’s game graphic and modeling is amazing, I just don’t feel it’s trailers and promo art are matching.

WOW example:

@Hoover.6394 said:I know GW2 has it own style when doing cinematics, either the concept art looking flats motion graphics or use in game model to create a scene. However I hope to see a high quality produced CG trailer for upcoming expansion, something matches the new Shadowland or Diablo 4 trailer.I know some people gonna say “I don’t care about a fancy CG trailer, give more better game content” yes we always need good game content, but I think it will worth the time and money put into it for a great advertising, even if it’s a very short and sweet cinematics. And we can be more proudly showing the game to friends and on social media.GW2’s game graphic and modeling is amazing, I just don’t feel it’s trailers and promo art are matching.

So you show them a pre-rendered trailer. They get all excited and buy it. Load into the game to find out it looks nothing like what you showed them then quit because you lied them? Now the support team has one more refund to process.

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@Hoover.6394 said:I know GW2 has it own style when doing cinematics, either the concept art looking flats motion graphics or use in game model to create a scene. However I hope to see a high quality produced CG trailer for upcoming expansion, something matches the new Shadowland or Diablo 4 trailer.I know some people gonna say “I don’t care about a fancy CG trailer, give more better game content” yes we always need good game content, but I think it will worth the time and money put into it for a great advertising, even if it’s a very short and sweet cinematics. And we can be more proudly showing the game to friends and on social media.GW2’s game graphic and modeling is amazing, I just don’t feel it’s trailers and promo art are matching.

So you show them a pre-rendered trailer. They get all excited and buy it. Load into the game to find out it looks nothing like what you showed them then quit because you lied them? Now the support team has one more refund to process.

That's not how Video game industry works, how many Wow player refund the game cos the in-game model looks different from their trailer movie? how many LOL players quit the game cos the model doesn't looks nearly as good as the splash art?

A good trailer or splash art provide a great fantasy for players see their loved content go live, it's not about giving false expectation.

@Hoover.6394 said:

That's not how Video game industry works, how many Wow player refund the game cos the in-game model looks different from their trailer movie? how many LOL players quit the game cos the model doesn't looks nearly as good as the splash art?

A good trailer or splash art provide a great fantasy for players see their loved content go live, it's not about giving false expectation.

I doubt many people buy the game based on the trailer and then demand a refund.

But I've been disappointed many times by "cinematic" trailers that look nothing like the game. I pretty much hit pause and then close the window as soon as I realize what it is. What's the point? I don't mind a few unplayable camera angles to show things off better, but I much prefer the trailers to be in-engine. Otherwise they have basically nothing to do with the actual game.

That being said, I love Anet's incorporation of concept art style illustration into the game and it's something they're known for. The art--to-game transition trailer they did before GW2 released is still well-remembered. I still get kind of pumped by how cool that trailer was, but the Rytlock CGI trailer for Heart of Thorns? Meh. Just doesn't do it for me.

The Icebrood Saga trailer is also actually very good, and that style would work for an expansion if it was followed by some gameplay like the original GW2 teaser.

I'd rather have an "art" trailer or an in-engine trailer. Both would be great.

@"Hoover.6394" said:I know GW2 has it own style when doing cinematics, either the concept art looking flats motion graphics or use in game model to create a scene. However I hope to see a high quality produced CG trailer for upcoming expansion, something matches the new Shadowland or Diablo 4 trailer.I know some people gonna say “I don’t care about a fancy CG trailer, give more better game content” yes we always need good game content, but I think it will worth the time and money put into it for a great advertising, even if it’s a very short and sweet cinematics. And we can be more proudly showing the game to friends and on social media.GW2’s game graphic and modeling is amazing, I just don’t feel it’s trailers and promo art are matching.

WOW example:

Trailers are not good advertising for MMOs. SWToR probably the best trailers (with the exception of Wrath of the Lich King they are better than WoW). Did that pay off? It would not here either. This is money better spent on Content. The trailers will not matter.

A movie quality cinematic trailer is only "needed" to promote games on TV/ mass media. Actual "gamers" want to see gameplay and in-game footage, cinematic trailers mean very little, other than extra storage space for the game (for a cinematic you'll probably see only once)But if the game was to be promoted on mass media then it would need a different kind of trailer to inspire and awe "non-gamers" to go and check out the game.

i do love the wow trailers, but at the same time i like that GW2 shows you what you'll actually be getting to play withedit: still holding out for an ACTUAL wow movie! (none of that greenscreen with actors nonsense that they made for the last one, FULL CGI!)

I don't care about WoW, I don't care about fancy trailers; I want to see what I'm getting into. I have lost count how many times I've been disappointed having discovered the game I downloaded was nothing like the trailers, I saw it as a form of false advertisement, to be honest. Give me quality content over fancy trailers that don't speak about the game at all.

I want to see gameplay. I am tired of companies having to put a little disclaimer in the bottom stating: not actual gameplay footage. why would you buy a game that has a cool trailer, but doesn't show gameplay. I'd go watch a movie if you prefer first.

@"Game of Bones.8975" said:I really enjoyed these vids when they came out.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD4aaHOISx8

Each core class was represented with a small slice of what they were capable of doing.

Yeah I loved those too.I wish they had made videos like that to show off each of the elite specs when the expansions were coming, I bet that would have really hyped up the fans even more.

Here's the trailer for HoT that was cinematic:

I didn't mind it. They could do another one like that. It shown off the theme of the revenant class a bit with Rytlock and had the main bad guy there. Wasn't as high quality as the WoW opening cinematics, but it did have it's own flavor to it. It's true that in-game footage is preferred by the community. I don't think that trailers like that target people that already want the expansion. I'm kind of curious if that trailer did gain them sales. They didn't do it for Path of Fire, if I recall correctly.