Replace "crippled" with "hindered"

The word "cripple" is literally a dictionary defined pejorative/slur. You'd never call someone with a permanent disability a "cripple" or describe them as being "crippled" so why would you think it's OK to refer to someone with a temporary disability that way?

Getting rid of all language that is insulting to disabled people is pretty hard (e.g. stopping all use of blind or deaf as metaphor for being terrible at something). But at the minimum we should be able to avoid referring to people or conditions by a literal slur.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Insulting? You gotta be fucking kidding. At least i hope you are, a little limit on getting offended by everything would be in order. You won't but eh...This is probably just another post where people have nothing better to do so let us go rile up something on the forums. Tsk tsk.

I mean the word is being used correctly when you look at how its defined. Especially the one in bold.

verbverb: cripple; 3rd person present: cripples; past tense: crippled; past participle: crippled; gerund or present participle: crippling

• cause (someone) to become unable to walk or move properly.
  • a person who is unable to walk or move properly through disability or because of injury to their back or legs.
  • a person who cannot use their arms or legs in a normal way
  • to injure someone so that they are unable to walk or move in a normal way

These also tie into the animation being hobbling.

@"Kaida.1478" said:There are no words for how bizarre this request is. Crippled is absolutely the right word for this condition.

No one is being called a cripple in a derogatory way here. (Which would be a very different thing).

There are people advocating to ban the use of "white list" and "black list", I rank the request to rename the condition 4 out of 10 on the silly scale.

@Kulvar.1239 said:

@"Kaida.1478" said:There are no words for how bizarre this request is. Crippled is absolutely the right word for this condition.

No one is being called a cripple in a derogatory way here. (Which would be a very different thing).

There are people advocating to ban the use of "white list" and "black list", I rank the request to rename the condition 4 out of 10 on the silly scale.

Oh dear sighWe'll be lucky if we can use any words at all if some people have their way. We'll have to ban all the words just incase someone is offended.

As a 'physically challenged'* person myself... I cannot express how bizarre this request is. I do not really care what people call my disability (and it is a disability, so let's call it what it is ha ha). What dictionary are you using? GW2 is using the word 'cripple' exactly according to definition.

*term is being used sarcastically

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:Hindered has the letters hind in it which can be read as reference to your hind end, your posterior. I’m offended by references to people’s posterior body parts and would be offended by seeing this word in game.

I was more thinking about the attack helicopter and that might trigger someones ptsd.And to the OP have you tried getting the any of the holy books censored aswell?

Jesus Heals a Crippled Man

Is written in one of them for example

There is nothing wrong with the word.Offensive meanings are implied by context not definition of the word.

Many terms people deem offensive today are in fact legitimate medical terms for specific conditions that later gained an offensive status because some people used them in that manner/context to insult other people, usually by comparing them to someone with a severe disability.The word itself is not offensive, derogatory or insulting.. it's the context those words are sometimes used in that can be and that's by far thee most important factor.

@"Nietzsche.6247" said:The word "cripple" is literally a dictionary defined pejorative/slur. You'd never call someone with a permanent disability a "cripple" or describe them as being "crippled" so why would you think it's OK to refer to someone with a temporary disability that way?

Getting rid of all language that is insulting to disabled people is pretty hard (e.g. stopping all use of blind or deaf as metaphor for being terrible at something). But at the minimum we should be able to avoid referring to people or conditions by a literal slur.

Google search:

crippled/ˈkrɪpld/Learn to pronounceadjectiveadjective: crippled

(of a person) unable to walk or move properly; disabled."a crippled old man"    (of a machine) severely damaged.    "the pilot displayed skill and nerve in landing the crippled plane"

Merriam-Webster (3rd definition, yes the others refer to disabilities and other possible uses):

cripple verbcrippled; crippling\ ˈkri-​p(ə-​)liŋ\

Definition of cripple (Entry 3 of 3)

transitive verb1 : to deprive of the use of a limb and especially a leg the accident left him crippled

Cambridge Dictionary:

crippledadjectiveuk/ˈkrɪp.əld/ us/ˈkrɪp.əld/Someone who is crippled has serious injuries that affect their ability to walk or move:Will she be crippled for life?Crippled beggars crowd the steps.damaged and unable to move or operate effectively:A crippled submarine found itself unable to surface.Officials had hoped those measures would calm investors' nerves and heal the crippled financial system.

I honestly could go on with multiple other primary dictionaries, but let's keep this short.You sir need to use more than 1 dictionary since most seem to define this as a condition which primarily encumbers ones movement or some disability due to injury to limbs.

@Gundahar.2765 said:Honestly, im fed up with this political correctness. Don't use this, don't use that... In this day and age are people offended by everything? I'd have a word for that... Stop making everything offending or racial or anything. Its just stupid.

@Gundahar.2765 said:Honestly, im fed up with this political correctness. Don't use this, don't use that... In this day and age are people offended by everything? I'd have a word for that... Stop making everything offending or racial or anything. Its just stupid.

If you look hard enough, everything is racist/sexist/...

@Kulvar.1239 said:

@"Gundahar.2765" said:Honestly, im fed up with this political correctness. Don't use this, don't use that... In this day and age are people offended by everything? I'd have a word for that... Stop making everything offending or racial or anything. Its just stupid.

If you look hard enough, everything is racist/sexist/...

It really isn't.

Offense is rooted in the intent, not the means.

Heck, take a look at these forums for example, where any "Bad" word is replaced by "kitten" but posts can still be moderated because the intent of the word "kitten" is still being used offensively (I.e. "You're an absolute kitten") not because the word kitten is inherently bigoted.

It's one of the big failures of this oversensitive culture to not realize this basic principle. But instead they look to try and get everything banned because of some asinine idea that something such as a word is inherently offensive to them.

Oh god, another one of these.

Definition of cripple (Entry 3 of 3)

transitive verb

1: to deprive of the use of a limb and especially a legthe accident left him crippled

2: to deprive of capability for service or of strength, efficiency, or wholenessan economy crippled by inflation

The use of the term 'crippled' is entirely within context and subject, and we if you feel somehow insulted by it, that says something about you, not the game.