Aviator Box and other items placed under chests purposely to annoy/prevent players from looting

@Linken.6345 said:

@Veprovina.4876 said:I honestly never encountered this in PvE. So it can't be "every meta"...I didn't mean every time a meta is done.But in every map meta I've done, there's been at least once a clown to pull out that troll box.And with Auric Basin meta for the last community event, I have noticed at least three of these boxes every day.

Well i've honestly never seen it so idk... Maybe it's the EU/NA thing? Are you on NA? Cause i often read on the forums that NA servers can be quite toxic sometimes.

In any case, the baffling thing is how that's happening in the first place, just make it so the items can't be placed over other objects. How hard can that be?But i'm also sure we're going to get toooons of people starting to defend Anet quoting "sphagetti code", or worse "i'd rather they work on
content
" like it would require 2 years to fix a small problem like this.

Learned my lesson the last time i made a suggestion.

It happens on eu servers as well, I play there but its usually the first big chest in ab meta and some mesmer/raid portal guy on first chak pod after chak gerent wall.

@Veprovina.4876 said:Well i've honestly never seen it so idk... Maybe it's the EU/NA thing? Are you on NA? Cause i often read on the forums that NA servers can be quite toxic sometimes.As @Linken.6345 said, I've played on both EU and NA servers and I've seen it on both. Not all the time but often enough for me to be on the look out for such trolling. Like the OP and many others, I dislike this kind of trolling and I really dislike the fact that Anet has failed to do anything about it.

I must be lucky then lol, i rarely see any people trolling or any "toxic" behaviour (if you can call it that), that people sometimes bring up on the forums.Maybe it's the times i play on, who knows...

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

@Chichimec.9364 said:

@Veprovina.4876 said:Well i've honestly never seen it so idk... Maybe it's the EU/NA thing? Are you on NA? Cause i often read on the forums that NA servers can be quite toxic sometimes.As @Linken.6345 said, I've played on both EU and NA servers and I've seen it on both. Not all the time but often enough for me to be on the look out for such trolling. Like the OP and many others, I dislike this kind of trolling and I really dislike the fact that Anet has failed to do anything about it.

ANet is the enabler of such behavior and profiting from it at the same time so you might want to take that into consideration ...

• Like 1

@MaLong.2079 said:The real question is why there is no button to exit the transformation. What other transformation works like that?

You can interact with the item again to remove the effect (at least with the Aviator Box). It seems quite a lot of people don't know this.

It's still annoying when you're trying to loot a chest, but you don't have to run around with the effect on you.

One thing they could do is give lootable chests the same AoE that prevents people from dropping the novelty items. These chests might be programmed with a shared parent class or a script for looting. If whatever code shared between these lootable chests included spawning the AoE anti-novelty field that prevents clustering novelties, this could prevent griefers at all chests across the entire game world with much less work for the devs.

• Like 1

There seem to be priority of selectable objects, and usually it opens a chest. To get Aviator's effects you would need to click again.Aviator's Memory Box is placed noticeably often, but not so much, so it's ok, it's quite fun actually to use it from time to time.But I'm all for more settings to allow everybody to set game interface as needed. Checkbox to turn off novelties/transformations would be fair.

And when we're in subject of trolling, then the real troll is ArenaNet with their pop-ups and aggressive blinking on interface. Those are super annoying, also useless and can't be turned off - it's the worst thing in the game. Aviator's Box is nothing compared to it. So I would like much more an option to turn off all pop-ups and blinking (with option to convert it to chat text).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Had this happen with someone who spawned around 100 snowballs on a chest. I assume from the anger in chat that almost no one was able to open the chest. I zoomed in to try to target it to no avail and the chest became unavailable before the snowballs cleared. This is literally jerky players being able to prevent others from getting their rewards and should be stopped. It's extremely disappointing to have a development team that has shown no interested in correcting this issue.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

I've had similar experiences where it was not possible to even loot chests because of troll items. Also, the other day, some trolls placed items on every single Grand Exalted Chest after the AB meta... Next ally doesn’t always work due to chests having low priority when there are lots of targets. Even if you have the chest selected, there’s a problem where F still interacts with something else instead, like portals.

WoW had a similar problem where players would stand on top of critical NPC's with large mounts so that players could not interact with the NPC's. Blizzard GM's actually logged in to the game and warned the players to stop trolling or face suspension. Soon, a fix was released so that it was no longer possible to mount near these NPC's. Anet, unfortunately, doesn't take similar actions with this issue in their game despite this being a problem that's been going on for years. Sigh...

There are many possible solutions, some of which are:1) Do not let player place stuff near chests. If players place troll items before the chests spawn, remove the troll items.2) Make chests auto lootable as long as players have keys and are standing on the chests.3) Give chests higher loot priority when pressing F.4) Give option to disable interaction with player placed novelties/portals who are not in my party/squad.5) Seriously, just DO something about it.

@Xeno.1298 said:Had this happen with someone who spawned around 100 snowballs on a chest. I assume from the anger in chat that almost no one was able to open the chest. I zoomed in to try to target it to no avail and the chest became unavailable before the snowballs cleared. This is literally jerky players being able to prevent others from getting their rewards and should be stopped. It's extremely disappointing to have a development team that has shown no interested in correcting this issue.

Just your average MMO behaviour. Nothing will be done until it gets publicity, so beg/pay some streamers to make a stink out of it so their mindless followers can go nuts.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

I know it's already been mentioned in this thread, but let me do it again:There's a control, "Next Ally". Bind it to a key and use it whenever you find yourself in one of these situations - it works beautifully. I did this years ago and trolls have since not bothered me at all.

Now, this is not to say it's not an issue that it would be better if it could be handled by Anet, but presumably (since they haven't already done this) it's a bit more complicated than we all think so the Next Ally thing is a decent way to get around the frustration and blood pressure issues until such a time as Anet figures out a solution.

• Like 1

@"Zohane.7208" said:I know it's already been mentioned in this thread, but let me do it again:There's a control, "Next Ally". Bind it to a key and use it whenever you find yourself in one of these situations - it works beautifully. I did this years ago and trolls have since not bothered me at all.

this usually works, i have a key bound to it when clicking manually doesn't work but in the case of @Xeno.1298 where 100 interactables were spawned near the chest it still becomes a chore/annoying when you could've just looted and moved on and it just compounds and gets worse if those 100 or so were done on every chest.

@Xeno.1298 said:Had this happen with someone who spawned around 100 snowballs on a chest. I assume from the anger in chat that almost no one was able to open the chest. I zoomed in to try to target it to no avail and the chest became unavailable before the snowballs cleared. This is literally jerky players being able to prevent others from getting their rewards and should be stopped. It's extremely disappointing to have a development team that has shown no interested in correcting this issue.

• 1 year later...

Aviator boxes, and other boxes are useless and serve no purpose other than troll items. They should just be done away with. When I get one for birthday or whatever I just drop it  to get rid of the kitten.  I Have No interest in them at all.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, disco.9302 said:

ah yes, how could others possibly be interested in something you're not? People enjoying things you don't? Preposterous!

You mean people enjoy to make experience kitten for the others? Since that's the only purpose for it. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, disco.9302 said:

ah yes, how could others possibly be interested in something you're not? People enjoying things you don't? Preposterous!

How many times have you heard someone say OH LOOK I got a Toy Box  or a SAB Box ....etc ? OR Man I am saving up my gold to get gem store aviator boxes they are sooooo cool. 

You dont because NO ONE gives a kitten about them. They are just troll items to mess up a loot chest with. The only people that would miss them in game are .... (drum roll) ........trolls.

Edited by troy.3257
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 4

Just now, troy.3257 said:

How many times have you heard someone say OH LOOK I got a Toy Box  or a SAB Box ....etc ? OR Man I am saving up my gold to get gem store aviator boxes they are sooooo cool. 

You dont because NO ONE gives a kitten about them. They are just troll items to mess up a loot chest with. They only people that would miss them in game are .... (drum roll) ........trolls.

Considering Toy Boxes are used for the Gift of Entertainment, I hope they ignore that part of your post.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 1