GW2 Isn't made for people that has a real life job.

2 hours ago, Conncept.7638 said:

Guides should be optional, needing them to complete content is a sign of kitten poor game design.

A good game is no different than a good book or movie, if you have to go outside of the body of material just to understand it, the body of material is not well made.

A better comparison would be reading a full piece of work vs. reading the Cliff/Spark Notes of it. You retain more information and can pick up more nuance with the actual book but if you lack the time, the Cliff/Spark Notes version does well to get you to the end with a summary of the whole thing.

None of the collections in GW2 outright require guides, but if you're short on time (such as the OP is) or having a lot of trouble with one specific part, it makes sense to look it up and that's not a sign of bad game design, just that different people like different things and guides mean you can select your difficulty for collections, so to speak.

OP is trying to play on hard mode when his life only allows for easy and then blaming the game for it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Conncept.7638 said:

Guides should be optional, needing them to complete content is a sign of kitten poor game design.

A good game is no different than a good book or movie, if you have to go outside of the body of material just to understand it, the body of material is not well made.

Hold on ... I've been accessing guide for games since as far back as I can remember, even before the internet existed ... and those were some of the best games out at the time. A guide isn't a sign of poor game design at all. It DOES indicate a level of complexity in the game that might make some tasks not obvious to many people. 

Comparing books/movies to games is not a reasonable comparison. Games require a player to understand rules, user interface, etc ... reading books and watching movies are much different (and likely simpler) cognitive tasks than playing a game

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 1

Err, I don't recall using the guide nearly as much for Skyscale as I did for, like, Gleam of Sentience (where you have to do things like find 40 tokens deliberately buried in weird crevices on a map — activities that feel like they're straight-up *designed* to be crowdsourced puzzles we solve collectively via the wiki). With Skyscale there's little map markers for a lot of it, and the big "go around all the maps" section near the end mainly leverages existing map completion and JP knowledge.

On 5/13/2021 at 6:19 AM, Blakhart.5024 said:

I think the people ignoring this complaint are being a bit obtuse.

I have found the same thing.

Try doing a Legendary on a "casual" timeframe lol  when you need X hundred Obs shards, mystic clovers and other materials you only get from really grinding out certain aspects of the game.

Silverwastes Runs are productive but do them for a week straight and you wont feel like youre having "fun"

GW2 has ALWAYS been an extremely grindy game if you actually want to accomplish anything big and saying otherwise is pure hogwash.

Ive played the game since launch, albeit I probably havnt been "active" for around 3 of the last 9 years.  I play casually and havnt been in any big raiding guilds or PvP guilds.  Im currently rank 29 in PvP Arenas and around 50 in WvW.    Ive completed 1 legendary and could, potentially, be close to finishing a second.  Three of my characters have full Ascended Armors, two have completely ascended Armor/Weapons/Accessories.

I havnt finished my skyscale as im still acquiring the 250 stones for each zone for the saddle.  A project I have focused my gametime on the last 2 months and still havnt completed yet.

Im not complaining about the game myself.  Anymore.  I certainly bished about it during my first Legendary.  The collection bits were fun but the final grindy bits for the Mystic Forge are simply ridiculous.  But it is what it is.  But call it what it is please.  Its a grindfest.  Dont sugarcoat it with your fanciful notions.

Do Bitterfrost Frontier for obsidian shards. I have 9 characters, and if I run them all through a winterberry run each, then consume the winteberries for unbound magic, and purchase obsidian shards with it (the unbound magic), I can average around 100 obsidian shards per day in about 2 hours of grinding. Of course, if you’re lucky you can get more than that; yesterday I got 120.

9 hours ago, Clex Mix.7624 said:

Hence the word “overtly”. You don’t go out of your way to announce it to the world. You don’t use it as an excuse to complain about not having things.

Your post count seems to indicate that you've not been around here for very long.  I used to have a signature line before the switch to the new forums which very much announced my casualness to the world.

But, yeah, I don't use it as an excuse.  😉

50 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Your post count seems to indicate that you've not been around here for very long.  I used to have a signature line before the switch to the new forums which very much announced my casualness to the world.

I’ve played both games since launch, but no I dont typically use forums. Browsing them more so now just to find Cantha topics but more than half are the same complaints from the same type of players... and some from the same player. 

My post count doesnt make what I said untrue, WoW, Aion, Tera, TOR, GW and so on all have similar topics of how “every dev caters to only the hardcore top 1% of players” and it’s just not true... that would be a horrid business model.

They are designed to be played over years, not hours. So yes, some people just play more and get more faster... it’s just silly when people misconstrue it as being “impossible” when being an adult...

Edited by Clex Mix.7624
  • Like 1

Op has it right.  I say to my self @ 7am that I will just log on and get my daily reward then get some breakfast.  Next thing I know I am feeling weak and dizzy.  It's 9.30 pm,  I have gone all day forgetting to eat or drink.  I also need the toilet real bad.

I eat, drink, rest my blood shot eyes promising myself I will not touch GW2 tomorrow, but the evil circle repeats itself the very next day.  I need help.

How is it possible to play this game and have a job?  It's not.

Edited by Joote.4081
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Joote.4081 said:

Op has it right.  I say to my self @ 7am that I will just log on and get my daily reward then get some breakfast.  Next thing I know I am feeling weak and dizzy.  It's 9.30 pm,  I have gone all day forgetting to eat or drink.  I also need the toilet real bad.

I eat, drink, rest my blood shot eyes promising myself I will not touch GW2 tomorrow, but the evil circle repeats itself the very next day.  I need help.

Well if you had a job that wouldnt be problem now, would it?

5 hours ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Hold on ... I've been accessing guide for games since as far back as I can remember, even before the internet existed ... and those were some of the best games out at the time. A guide isn't a sign of poor game design at all. It DOES indicate a level of complexity in the game that might make some tasks not obvious to many people. 

Comparing books/movies to games is not a reasonable comparison. Games require a player to understand rules, user interface, etc ... reading books and watching movies are much different (and likely simpler) cognitive tasks than playing a game

The best guide ever written for any game is still the official goty morrowind strat guide. It’s just a good read in of itself.

Edited by Clex Mix.7624

3 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Did you not want to have a signature this time?  They are available.

At least, there's a place to put in a signature.  (Account Settings)

• Like 1

GW2 is pretty friendly for players with lousy freetime availability.  Trickle effort accumulates over time and there is very little to grind for that's on any kind of timer.   

You can plink away at getting any legendary or mount in whatever tiny little increments you can spare or tolerate, and you'll get it all done eventually if you keep at it like that.

That said, most of the grinds aren't my idea of being fun at all.   I'm not entertained by the jumping puzzles and I find almost all completions to be exercises in tedium.

9 hours ago, Zephire.8049 said:

A better comparison would be reading a full piece of work vs. reading the Cliff/Spark Notes of it. You retain more information and can pick up more nuance with the actual book but if you lack the time, the Cliff/Spark Notes version does well to get you to the end with a summary of the whole thing.

None of the collections in GW2 outright require guides, but if you're short on time (such as the OP is) or having a lot of trouble with one specific part, it makes sense to look it up and that's not a sign of bad game design, just that different people like different things and guides mean you can select your difficulty for collections, so to speak.

OP is trying to play on hard mode when his life only allows for easy and then blaming the game for it.

I think you misread the topic title. What OP really mean is this game is made for people who are mostly unemployed or has little to no social life and he is indirectly blaming himself for having a job and an active social life.

• Confused 3

Another reason why GW2 is made for people with a job and a busy life is being able to own 40 accounts and make thousands of gold with just login rewards. Apparently Anet is not doing anything to stop players owning multiple accounts and profit from them. F2P players can hardly afford 1 account but they would never profit from it as much as a P2P because daily rewards require accounts to have an expansion unlocked on them and the Metas just can't compete in terms of gold farming with gems-to-gold conversions or multiple account farming.

This until Anet will decide to take action against those who own multiple accounts to get an unfair advantage because at this point having lots of them becomes even more profitable than buying gems and converting them into gold.

Edited by Touchme.1097

So because you cannot find the time to play, or better said, enjoy certain aspects of the game means that everyone who does has no job and no life. Well, that is enough GW2 forum for me today after reading this silly tantrum throwing little rant.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Did you not want to have a signature this time?  They are available.

At least, there's a place to put in a signature.  (Account Settings)

When I go to account settings, it shows that the feature is not available at this time.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

When I go to account settings, it shows that the feature is not available at this time.

It shows available for me.

Profile - Drop down menu - Account Settings - scroll down to 'Signature' - scroll down to the text box to enter signature text - save

Edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234
removed signature, and reference thereto
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

It shows available for me.

Profile - Drop down menu - Account Settings - scroll down to 'Signature' - scroll down to the text box to enter signature text - save

See below.

Thanks.  I was going to Profile - Edit Profile

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, Joote.4081 said:

That sounds like ADHD to me, not addictive gaming mechanics. Contrary to the idea that ADHD always results in a lack of focus, it can also result in hyperfocus (at the expense of everything else, including basic biological functions) on certain things. Gaming (any game, including such addictive hits as Tetris, Solitaire, and Minesweeper) tends to be one of the more common hyperfocus activities given it's constant positive stimulation and something to do.

That or addiction, but in both cases it's on the player to seek help to break the cycle, especially for a game where the vast majority of players have no trouble putting it down when needed.

• Like 2

On 5/15/2021 at 9:01 PM, Conncept.7638 said:

Guides are optional for requiring the skyscale. The descriptions of the collection items are very well done, and you can find everything with a little looking around.

A friend and I got our skyscales a couple of weeks after release, without the help of any guides. It took us maybe around 10 days, and it was one of the most enjoyable and satisfying activities I've ever done in this game.

Guides are there for those who don't enjoy scavenger hunts, or figuring things out for themselves, so they can shortcut the process, but they are in no way needed for getting the skyscale.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Rasimir.6239 said:

Guides are optional for requiring the skyscale. The descriptions of the collection items are very well done, and you can find everything with a little looking around.

A friend and I got our skyscales a couple of weeks after release, without the help of any guides. It took us maybe around 10 days, and it was one of the most enjoyable and satisfying activities I've ever done in this game.

Guides are there for those who don't enjoy scavenger hunts, or figuring things out for themselves, so they can shortcut the process, but they are in no way needed for getting the skyscale.

I never stated I agreed with the OPs opinion on the skyscale quest and agree with you that it doesn't require a guide or even much of a grind.  I don't even know why you and other posters even think that as I never even responded to the OPs post but to someone else who made a similarly general statement.

All I'm saying is that Guild Wars 2 has had a continually growing issue over the last few years with new content having ridiculous meta-knowledge restraints that make for a poor experience and aren't good encounter or progression design.

9 minutes ago, Conncept.7638 said:

I never stated I agreed with the OPs opinion on the skyscale quest and agree with you that it doesn't require a guide or even much of a grind.  I don't even know why you and other posters even think that as I never even responded to the OPs post but to someone else who made a similarly general statement.

All I'm saying is that Guild Wars 2 has had a continually growing issue over the last few years with new content having ridiculous meta-knowledge restraints that make for a poor experience and aren't good encounter or progression design.

Orrrrr, they design the game to have the option of exploration and discovery. Like how Precursors didn't use to have the note about being involved in leggo crafting... 

YOU might have a problem with it, but there are plenty of gamers who like discovering all the game has to offer without having to use the wiki... but there's also a reason they have an official wiki... to also not leave players in the dark. Take WoW for instance, players love finding the "hidden" stuff like the mounts and pets from riddles and such. All too often the game holds your hand for most of everything else. I think it's less of a design "problem" and more of a problem YOU have with the design.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Clex Mix.7624 said:

Orrrrr, they design the game to have the option of exploration and discovery. Like how Precursors didn't use to have the note about being involved in leggo crafting... 

YOU might have a problem with it, but there are plenty of gamers who like discovering all the game has to offer without having to use the wiki... but there's also a reason they have an official wiki... to also not leave players in the dark. Take WoW for instance, players love finding the "hidden" stuff like the mounts and pets from riddles and such. All too often the game holds your hand for most of everything else. I think it's less of a design "problem" and more of a problem YOU have with the design.

Ah yes, the exploration of tabbing out of the game and going to a website that tells you exactly how to do things so that you don't have to see a single pixel more of the world than the minimum necessary for progression, oh wait, that is literally the opposite of exploration.

• Confused 1