GW2 Isn't made for people that has a real life job.

Given the number of pay-for-convenience items in the gem store, I'm getting the impression it's made precisely for people with jobs.

Since working full-time I've stopped completing all the story achievements (which I used to do on two accounts), but just playing through each story release and a bit of the associated open-world content has taken me no more than a Wednesday and Thursday evening every 2-3 months so far. It's a pretty good MMO to play casually, from my experience, so long as you skip the skin collections grind.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Samnang.1879 said:

If I had a job and a boyfriend, I wouldn't play GW2, that's for sure.

You'd still need to have your own hobbies, for when you're not working and your boyfriend is not around or doing something boring like *checks on husband* looking up the chronology of Batman comics so he can plan a future reading list. 🙄

Although if GW2 is already low down the list I can see how it could be one of the things that gets dropped. But that's another advantage of this game, if you stop playing for a few weeks or months or even years you won't really miss anything (unless you stopped playing in 2012 or 2013, then you missed Season 1, but at least they stopped doing that). You're not going to come back and find you have to grind through a bunch of dead content to get the latest gear and new levels before you're allowed into the new stuff everyone is playing, you can jump straight into whatever you want to be doing.

• Like 11
  • Haha 2

Good job but demanding and time consuming, daughter, building a house. Gw2 is the best mmorpg for us. It took me about 3 to 4 month of doing 1 or 2 things on days when I could play for collections.  I try to avoid guides, dont like them, kinda defeat the purpose for me. 

Edited by Cuks.8241
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

After making 30+ legendaries, I can confidently say skyscale is a lot more tedious than making a legendary. Mostly because a huge chunk of a legendary can be acquired very passively. You either acquire the materials passively or acquire the gold to buy them passively. GoB and map completion are more restrictive though. In both cases you can slowly chip away at it but the legendary has more variety in the activities that you can do.

Well i meant it more from OPs perspective.

You only need to do Skyscale once, after that, you never have to repeat the steps.

You have to repeat the steps for every legendary you make, and some time gated currency like WvW skirmish tickets can be downright abusive to people with limited time since they are not flat gains across tiers, meaning, anyone who has limited time will probably never complete a single piece in 3 years, let alone a set because the majority of the tickets are contained in mithril and diamond (so, 30-40 hours of  play) and without that, you get nothing, not to mention you need to buy precursors, craft marks which you're not getting, etc., it's a mess for someone who's not sinking 40 hours a week into. Same goes for Raids, though raids tend to be a bit more forgiving with their thing. After all, you can just whip out a credit card from all that RL work you're doing that's preventing you from playing, buy raid runs and get your full set in literally 6 weeks. You can't do that in WvW.

As for the weapons, i agree with you, they tend to be easier, and depending on the weapon, some collections are even fun and, indeed can be skipped to get the weapons passively. So yeah, it has more variety, but you "only" get one weapon, most classes will need at least two so idk...

• Like 2

Well without more specific details about your life it's kind of hard to see why your time is so limited.
You're well within your rights not to share that info though.

But I struggle to relate to your plight as well, how we all spend our free time is ultimately up to us and us alone.

There are many things in life that can demand time and attention away from hobbies like gaming, Work obviously is one of them as are kids etc.
Yet as has been pointed out there are plenty of people who have a job and a family and still find the time to indulge their gaming hobby.

So if you feel like you don't have the time to play Gw2 then I'd have to argue that it is mainly because of decisions you have made about how you spend your free time.. and if GW2 is really that important to you then you would reorganise things to make time for it as others do every day to play.

3 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

You'd still need to have your own hobbies, for when you're not working and your boyfriend is not around or doing something boring like *checks on husband* looking up the chronology of Batman comics so he can plan a future reading list. 🙄

How did your auto-correct mistype "something incredibly important like" as "something boring like"? 😉

• Haha 5

It's true, on a certain degree. But on the other hand: GW2 is known as an extremely casual-friendly MMO.

There will always be different kind of players with different goals and different wants. GW2 attempts to please most of them.

• The story and open world events + meta's are very accessible for casuals and other players who don't have much time.
  • GW2 allows you to buy gold via gems and thus skip a lot of farming/grind this way. Perfect for players with fulltime (paying) jobs.
  • Players who have high skill and not much patience can do hard content like sPvP tournaments, fractal at high scales and raids.
  • Players who have iron dedication but average skill can go for many achievements and collections that will reward their continued efforts and time investment.

I think GW2 does it right here. Sure, there can always be improvements. I'm in the last group and would love to see a normal mode / story mode for raids for example. But you can't always fully please opposite wishes of players.

Edited by TheQuickFox.3826
  • Like 4

im a vert busy person too, just dont rush, 1 month to make skycale is good enough. save 300g(u can farm it easily in 1 week).

i have near 1yr pause on gw2 and returned on december 2020, completed skycale, did the my Exordium, completed all LS4/IBS metas by now, skycale aside the golem backpiece from sandsweept isles is a bit grind too.

i find the Grothmar Valley meta(before nerf) most painful than skycale, it take 2 weeks.

Edited by ugrakarma.9416

1 hour ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

You have to repeat the steps for every legendary you make, and some time gated currency like WvW skirmish tickets can be downright abusive to people with limited time since they are not flat gains across tiers, meaning, anyone who has limited time will probably never complete a single piece in 3 years, let alone a set because the majority of the tickets are contained in mithril and diamond (so, 30-40 hours of  play) and without that, you get nothing, not to mention you need to buy precursors, craft marks which you're not getting, etc., it's a mess for someone who's not sinking 40 hours a week into. Same goes for Raids, though raids tend to be a bit more forgiving with their thing. After all, you can just whip out a credit card from all that RL work you're doing that's preventing you from playing, buy raid runs and get your full set in literally 6 weeks. You can't do that in WvW.

The trouble here is that you have just described the general terrible situation with rewards in WvW which is independent of legendaries. It interacts with the WvW legendary making process but it is not exclusive to it. Generally speaking for anything that can be obtained in multiple ways the WvW option will be the worst.

If you spent ~1h/week getting 1 raid boss kill it will take around 3 years to make a set of legendary armor.

If you spent ~1h/week in WvW it will take around 25 years to make a set of legendary armor ... =_=

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

Although if GW2 is already low down the list I can see how it could be one of the things that gets dropped. But that's another advantage of this game, if you stop playing for a few weeks or months or even years you won't really miss anything (unless you stopped playing in 2012 or 2013, then you missed Season 1, but at least they stopped doing that). You're not going to come back and find you have to grind through a bunch of dead content to get the latest gear and new levels before you're allowed into the new stuff everyone is playing, you can jump straight into whatever you want to be doing.

I agree with 2nd paragraph. 

It's pretty easy for me to catch up. I went on hiatus for a year after the 2 Bjora maps. And still caught up pretty easily to 366 max mastery points.

I can agree that certain tasks are tedious in their design - the skyscale collection being one of them.

So if you want to say do 30 mins here and there to chip away at one of these long tasks, each play session can become extremely monotonous and more of a chore than entertainment.

On the other hand most "necessary" things (gear etc) are easy to get or can be largely bypassed with gems->gold, so overall gw2 is very casual friendly in terms of time.

Skyscale is probably one of the few things of great convenience that requires dedicated play time to get.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, OlsenSan.2987 said:

Before I start I want to say that it is my opinion and I don't care if you don't agree with whatever I am saying and you don't have to read this either.

I've not been so active playing guild wars 2 for at least 3 years now.  The reason is I have a good Job and life to deal with. I have both expansions released so far and all LWS episodes unlocked. I always log in once in a while to not miss any new episode. But I can't or even feel like I can be back playing. The reasons are because the things I want to do take in the game so long, but so long, that I can't compromise myself and my time to do them anymore.

As an example. It has been over a year now that I've been trying to complete my Skyscale collection in order to get my mount and everytime I do some part of this collection I don't feel like doing it anymore. It will probably take another 2 years to complete.

2 days ago I logged into the game and tried to do "Saving skyscale collection" It had many subcollections to complete. Ice, Fire, Water, Courage, Fear and before I start this, I finished the other one about the eggs and had to wait 2 hours to start this one. This took me the whole day to finish Saving Skyscale. The amount of time I can't spend playing a game anymore. And the reason why I was never able to complete the eggs collection before is the same.

I am pretty sure there are a lot of people who enjoy this. And a MMORPG games should try to invest and keep players who would actually support the game not only with a few hours per day but also buying whatever there is for sale in the game store. But we can't if even to get a mount we have to spend days and days wasting our time into a ***** collection. Our time is valuable as too. 

I logged into the game today and checked what is the next part of collections I should get for my skyscale and I didn't feel like doing it today. So I wont be online untill the day I feel like doing it. The day I have plenty of time to spend in Guild Wars 2, that I have nothing better to do with my life. In 2 years I will finally be able to fly freely onto the skies of tyria. 

I recently got let go as part of a downsizing at my job, currently doing the whole "Job hunt thing". So yea Im unemployed as of two days ago. BUT while I was working my job (I was working everyday, with days of split between... the week if even that.) And guild wars 2 was the ONLY Game I could spend any time in and feel like I was getting anywhere. Because its not like the others, I can chew it at my own pace and if I have time to spend in a map and gather/do my pieces then im still advancing.

Sure if you're trying to do something like Drizzlewood or dragons-stand it becomes a bit tricky with time constraints, but honestly this game is SO casual friend and is probably the only mmo someone with a life could enjoy to any sense of the fullest. I feel like you're being dramatic and claiming "Well I can't have it now, waaaah this game is not friendly to people who souldn't be gaming." If you dont have the time then fine, I Get it... we've all been there. 

But this game is not WoW and its not any of the others, it respects your time spent and honestly is built with you having a life in mind. You don't need everything right now; Some goals are good to have for the long term. When I settle down and have kids I really doubt ill have even the slimmest amount of time I had before. Will I complain that my real and more important life keeps me from achieving things in a video game? No. Neither should you. If you can't handle that fact then maybe gaming is not for you anymore, and you'd have much more enjoyment with other hobbies. Take a break, try doing something else? But dont expect the game to be made and tailored to fit your schedule. Its not fair for the other people who play it.

Yes this was harsh, but honestly... Your "opinion" is wrong. Sharing it offers it up for criticism, and sometimes the harshest way to deal with something is the best way. I doubt this game could handle anymore watering down in risk of really becoming stale, and I say this as someone who even now as Im unemployed is not devoting tons of time to GW2. I still have a life outside of it. It maybe max gets an hour or two of my time, what I Get done is what I get done. See the glass half full, life is much more enjoyable that way my friend.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

The trouble here is that you have just described the general terrible situation with rewards in WvW which is independent of legendaries. It interacts with the WvW legendary making process but it is not exclusive to it. Generally speaking for anything that can be obtained in multiple ways the WvW option will be the worst.

Well yes, it interacts with the legendary process, that's what i meant. Since it concernes the WvW specific legendaries. The fact that it's also generally a terrible situation is and isn't a different problem but yeh, pretty much what you said.

3 hours ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

If you spent ~1h/week getting 1 raid boss kill it will take around 3 years to make a set of legendary armor.

If you spent ~1h/week in WvW it will take around 25 years to make a set of legendary armor ... =_=

Exactly, and ouch! See, this is what i'm saying, it's insulting.

I don't necesarily think they should increase the amount per week of skirmish tickets, but there's literally no reason for the majority of the weekly cap to be located behind 40 hour playtime wall. Paying jobs take 40 hours a week, who thought it was a good idea to make basic stuff so time consuming (and yes, skirmish tickets are basic stuff because they're used for pretty much every WvW gear, infusions and trinkets, not just legendaries).

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

who thought it was a good idea to make basic stuff so time

I think it was just a failure to do some sanity check. I think someone just checked the numbers and went "yeah that looks okay"  but didn't look at the time required.

• Like 2

I work between 60 and 100 hours per week, have a disabled wife at home that I take care of, and I manage to play GW2. There are certainly some in game objectives that I am unlikely to achieve due to limited playing time but that is not an indication that GW2 as a whole is meant only for those who do not have a real life...it means that the developers put different goals for different play styles...as any game should.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

22 hours ago, OlsenSan.2987 said:

But we can't if even to get a mount we have to spend days and days wasting our time into a ***** collection.

And, in case you missed it, you can get a mount, multiple of them, without wasting your time on a **** collection.

22 minutes ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

I think it was just a failure to do some sanity check. I think someone just checked the numbers and went "yeah that looks okay"  but didn't look at the time required.

I don't know, i just know the system needs changing ASAP. At least let us trade in emblems for skirmish tickets weekly (up to the weekly 365 cap, no need for more). So that people who don't play as much, but when they play they fight a lot, can then get rewards a bit sooner than passively waiting.

Edited by Veprovina.4876
  • Like 4

If GW2 specifically isn't the mmorpg for you then I'd like you to tell me which one is.

Your complaint seems to mostly come from the fact that you "want that reward right now", so if you can't get it (in this case skyscale, which is optional in the first place) NOW then it's totally unplayable. But nobody even said you have to finish a collection or any given section of the achievement/game in one sitting. You're complaining because you can't get your dose of instant gratification on every step you take ingame.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I can kind of relate to this at the same time I don't agree with OP opinion.

A year before the pandemic, I barely had any time for GW2. But that's just how MY life was/is, and the game can't base its content purely on people that have little time to spare, specially because if there's too little to do or if the new contents are too short, a whole lot of the player base won't play it anymore.

Now about the collections, yea, I agree, some are really long. I didn't do my griffon collection back when PoF was released, I just used tele to friend to all locations on people while I was busy studying for my tests. I  missed the fun part of the collection but I was able to unlock the mount anyway. The skyscale collection, I only started it when I had some time off, but nothing in this game is made in a way that it can't be done in 1 hour. 

In 1 hour or less you can do:

• a set of T4 fractals
  • 1 raid wing, depending on the group, even 2 wings in a row
  • Any meta event that occurs at the time you are logged on
  • Farm for gold
  • Kill a few world bosses
  • Several dungeon paths
  • Mapping

In my opinion, there's a lot of content that takes that kind of situation in consideration... I think that only PvP and WvW take more  than 1 hour to have some fun due to the time to get in a match or if there aren't tags online at the time you get online. But if you are PvE player, everything is set in a way that you can do it little by little. There are plenty guides on the internet that can help you to do your tasks more efficiently so you don't waste time being lost on what to do.

Hmm....I remember I had to wait around 7 days (before the time gate was set down) to finally get the skyscale? - I guess I don't get his point 🤔

Or is he talking about getting endgame content as a beginner? Yes, this is not an arcade'ish game, right - it's all about progression over the years - he missed that?

There are a lot of beginners mounts....

Did I mention that I don't get his point?