HOTS had gliding. POF had mounts. What can EOD bring?

On 5/2/2021 at 12:25 PM, Scoobaniec.9561 said:

And popularity is nowhere close to Valheim either 😁

Its the same bs as it was with the mounts for years until they actually released it and now everyone be like "mount... good". Nobody said you cant attach some buffs to house instances either so theres your player power. At least very least housing should be done like in PoE.

They can even get money off it same way PoE does by selling special waypoint skins and map skins in the game. Endless possibilities.for them to make money off it.

Current "home instances" do not cut it. I cant choose where i want to place the stuff nor how environment look like or what npcs i got there. And for example charr instance looks like a utter joke for a home instance

To be honest, as far as I have seen the arguments against mounts where pretty valid at the time. Their where way more ways to kitten up mounts then their where ways to do it as well as they did. 

Please don't assume that because mounts turned out well that the people arguing against them where wrong. 

• Confused 2

On 5/3/2021 at 3:08 PM, Malitias.8453 said:

So the earth actually became round because less people said it's flat? Fascinating.

I like this idea. Would probably work great in some psychedelic fantasy setting.
This is reality though, so that logic doesn't work.
Also, you haven't stated an opinion, unless telling people to stop having an opinion is an opinion. 😵

Apparently 40k orks work on this principle. 🙂

On 5/17/2021 at 10:03 AM, Veprovina.4876 said:

Most realistically, they'll introduce a new obstacle in EoD maps like those raven locks, then you'll have to use masteries to get past it.

Just a key and a door, nothing substantial.

Still better than RGB mastery.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2021 at 2:42 PM, Faline.8795 said:

Easy part first.  Yes to housing.  Long overdue, greatly needed.

Now, on to endgame, the bugagboo of Guild Wars 2.

I know some feel it is collecting different skins, and some high-end fractals.

But far too many people ask "What is the end game in Guild Wars 2?"

I've always struggled with that.

For me -- and this is just a personal opinion -- I'd like to see something to continually reach for.  Not ever-increasing gear since that is evil to people here.  But something to continue chasing.  Almost like skill points, but one that just keeps going.  But it can't make your character stronger.  Just something to brag about.

Maybe like Hero points, but you keep doing them, each time gets harder and harder.  "I have 500 Hero points".  "I have 600 Hero points".  Etc.

Something for the soloist to chase that doesn't have an end.

The   endgame is WvW. Think about it.

PvE: Boring monotonous AI with predictable patterns, game centered around rotations and DPS. BORING

WvW. Bring your best gear, skills, and builds to the table, each encounter is different.

with that said, ANET needs to give WvW attention.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, yann.1946 said:

To be honest, as far as I have seen the arguments against mounts where pretty valid at the time. Their where way more ways to kitten up mounts then their where ways to do it as well as they did. 

Please don't assume that because mounts turned out well that the people arguing against them where wrong. 

The arguments were all variations of "I don't think the game needs this so they shouldn't do it" that this forum loves to slap on any suggestion for something new

Very little breakdowns of how they would have negatively impacted the game's mechanics or social fabric and a whole lot of "this game has waypoints so mounts are redundant and pointless"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

At first I thought that introducing mounts into gw2 would not be a good idea, and well... if it was implemented like in most mmos - just increased movement speed with cash shop purchase to get faster/shinier mount, then it would prove me right. But anet showed that they can make it fun and in some way meaningful. When I hear housing, again I think that it wouldn't be too good of an idea to implement it as a main feature of an expack, but if anet makes it own spin on it they may again prove me wrong, so I won't be entirely negative if they say they are going to do it. I'll be more like 'come at me bro!' or 'show me what you got'. But personally I think with how a lot of playerbase is (with either solo playing mmo, or being in very loosely connected communities), the conventional way of implementing housing would either be disappointing or kind of redundant (we already have guild halls, if you are determined you can get some decos from NPC, activities/achievements or even throw tons of gold into scribing and make some yourself).
I think that the interesting way of implementing 'housing-like' system would be to allow either groups/guilds/squads to control a part of open world (either by some kind of bidding system that could be a goldsink or by filling progress bar by completing some events around map, or even connect wvw alliance system where getting part of a zone dependant on win/score in wvw - each housing-like zone could have its own requirements so it would not be hogged by just one part of community). Those open zones could be a way to allow players to create content - sth like community based events, race competitons, jumping puzzles etc. It would allow guilds to better promote themselves and to easier connect ppl into communities, allow roleplayers/content creators to channel their positive energy and express themselves (why hide their creations in some obscure home instances, let us all enjoy it and give them some bragging opportunity as well). Groups organizing events could get some benefits based on amount of ppl and time they spend in the zone participating in activities (either hard gold, buffs - sth like magic find boost/gathering/karma etc, some currencies, maybe special decos for guild halls). If studio has reduced amount of ppl after layoffs, why not 'outsorce' some eager players and let them work for free like slav... well... you know 😉
Maybe instead of strict housing-like zone make it into 'stronghold-like' sth like wvw, but in pve spin (going further with drizzlewood coast idea). Either all players or groups clear events around map, earn some curency they can spend on improving strongholds, hiring NPCs etc. It could be either sort of competitive (no pvp) idea or full coop. In competitive spin - player joining map would be added to one side of conflict, players in that  group would need to split into 'attacking group' and into 'defending group' (by defending I mean gathering currency for repairs and improvement). There could be reward for participating, holding your stronghold longest, by reaching some stage of completion etc. In cooperative spin - completing events around map could give players sieges, maybe lower stronghold defenses (or improve them and by having increased difficulty you get better rewards), open way to some hidden bosses, spawn NPC with some better loot. Well at the moment the cooperative sounds more like an idea for a map meta xD

• Sad 1

I would LOVE to see some major improvements to the engine. I highly doubt that will happen but one can wish. Speaking of the engine, because of its limitations there is no way there will ever be open world housing. It's just not possible with what we have now. If you are thinking instanced housing, they could just refine our personal instances. 

The other thing I would love to see is us being able to choose any spec we want in our build with no limitations. In other words, we are getting a 3rd elite spec in EoD. Let us choose a build that can incorporate just elite specs! I realize for some professions this would be an insane power creep but it could be fun...maybe?

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Tokugawa.1268 said:

I would LOVE to see some major improvements to the engine. I highly doubt that will happen but one can wish. Speaking of the engine, because of its limitations there is no way there will ever be open world housing. It's just not possible with what we have now. If you are thinking instanced housing, they could just refine our personal instances. 

The other thing I would love to see is us being able to choose any spec we want in our build with no limitations. In other words, we are getting a 3rd elite spec in EoD. Let us choose a build that can incorporate just elite specs! I realize for some professions this would be an insane power creep but it could be fun...maybe?

There wouldn't be open-world housing even if there was an engine upgrade. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Substance E.4852 said:

The arguments were all variations of "I don't think the game needs this so they shouldn't do it" that this forum loves to slap on any suggestion for something new

Very little breakdowns of how they would have negatively impacted the game's mechanics or social fabric and a whole lot of "this game has waypoints so mounts are redundant and pointless"

Well saying a feature is redundant is a pretty good reason not to add it. (A reason why the mount implementation is so genius as almost no mount made the others useless, expect maybe the skyscale i guess)

And "I don't think the game needs this so they shouldn't do it" is a valid reason for not adding something, that is until someone explains the use of the addition.

My response was also more to put attention to the fact that because something turns out well, that doesn't mean the people advocating for it where suddenly correct and the ones advocating against it wrong, it all depends on the arguments used. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Mounts were done really well. The only mount that the skyscale might make obsolete is the bunny. Just about every other land mount in the game, has abilities that the skyscale can not match. Even for straight point-to-point travel, unless the terrain is incredibly mountainous, a good raptor or jackal will get you there faster. As for player owned homes, honestly, with all the amenities that exist with regards to the current banking and storage systems, there really isn't any grand need for player housing other than as another form of showing off one's largess and even that gets nullified if player housing is implemented as instanced housing. I wouldn't use games like Valheim as a reference point because that is an entirely different genre. Games like Valheim, Conan Exiles, Ark and others are survival games where building structures is actually required in order to survive. There is no such requirement in Guild Wars 2.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, AfroMetal.5394 said:

At first I thought that introducing mounts into gw2 would not be a good idea, and well... if it was implemented like in most mmos - just increased movement speed with cash shop purchase to get faster/shinier mount, then it would prove me right. But anet showed that they can make it fun and in some way meaningful. When I hear housing, again I think that it wouldn't be too good of an idea to implement it as a main feature of an expack, but if anet makes it own spin on it they may again prove me wrong, so I won't be entirely negative if they say they are going to do it. I'll be more like 'come at me bro!' or 'show me what you got'. But personally I think with how a lot of playerbase is (with either solo playing mmo, or being in very loosely connected communities), the conventional way of implementing housing would either be disappointing or kind of redundant (we already have guild halls, if you are determined you can get some decos from NPC, activities/achievements or even throw tons of gold into scribing and make some yourself).
I think that the interesting way of implementing 'housing-like' system would be to allow either groups/guilds/squads to control a part of open world (either by some kind of bidding system that could be a goldsink or by filling progress bar by completing some events around map, or even connect wvw alliance system where getting part of a zone dependant on win/score in wvw - each housing-like zone could have its own requirements so it would not be hogged by just one part of community). Those open zones could be a way to allow players to create content - sth like community based events, race competitons, jumping puzzles etc. It would allow guilds to better promote themselves and to easier connect ppl into communities, allow roleplayers/content creators to channel their positive energy and express themselves (why hide their creations in some obscure home instances, let us all enjoy it and give them some bragging opportunity as well). Groups organizing events could get some benefits based on amount of ppl and time they spend in the zone participating in activities (either hard gold, buffs - sth like magic find boost/gathering/karma etc, some currencies, maybe special decos for guild halls). If studio has reduced amount of ppl after layoffs, why not 'outsorce' some eager players and let them work for free like slav... well... you know 😉
Maybe instead of strict housing-like zone make it into 'stronghold-like' sth like wvw, but in pve spin (going further with drizzlewood coast idea). Either all players or groups clear events around map, earn some curency they can spend on improving strongholds, hiring NPCs etc. It could be either sort of competitive (no pvp) idea or full coop. In competitive spin - player joining map would be added to one side of conflict, players in that  group would need to split into 'attacking group' and into 'defending group' (by defending I mean gathering currency for repairs and improvement). There could be reward for participating, holding your stronghold longest, by reaching some stage of completion etc. In cooperative spin - completing events around map could give players sieges, maybe lower stronghold defenses (or improve them and by having increased difficulty you get better rewards), open way to some hidden bosses, spawn NPC with some better loot. Well at the moment the cooperative sounds more like an idea for a map meta xD

TBH if GW2 could pull something like Ashes of Creation with its build-able world, the game would just explode. They have a lot of edge over new MMOs, and could probably do this faster, leaner, more integrated. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Akvyr.9836 said:

TBH if GW2 could pull something like Ashes of Creation with its build-able world, the game would just explode. They have a lot of edge over new MMOs, and could probably do this faster, leaner, more integrated. 

I think you are overestimating what the old gw2 engine is capable of doing.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Eraden.8740 said:

As for player owned homes, honestly, with all the amenities that exist with regards to the current banking and storage systems, there really isn't any grand need for player housing other than as another form of showing off one's largess and even that gets nullified if player housing is implemented as instanced housing.

Well, as someone without one I wouldn't mind a variance to the Mistlock Sanctuary pass, but with those home instance nodes integrated too.

A subspace where you can gather your home instance nodes on top of having access to various functions you can unlock via achievements.

Like dungeon gates unlocked via Dungeon Discovered achievement, each crafting bench for 400+ crafting, etc.

Heck, maybe give it nodes for resources that previously didn't have one (Flax, Zhaitaffy, etc)

• Like 1

The only way I would want housing if it was like No Man's Sky where you could build it the way you want from materials.  Of course it would still have to be in an instance because it would not work in the open world.   If housing is like ESO where it is an instance but the houses are already made (and some sold for crowns) and all one can do is add furniture and other items  I'd find that boring and would not be interested at all.   

If Anet is indeed exploring housing I hope it isn't at all like ESO.  Because then it will be buy a, "New home in 'name the map here'  2000 gems."  Of course I can't blame them from wanting to profit from such a thing.   But I'd rather have a fully customizable home that I can build the way I want with materials gathered in game (as I mentioned above) if they introduce housing with furniture or other housing related items sold for gems.

Here is the thing with housing.  It is really a one player thing.  Most other players won't care what your house looks like and won't bother to visit.  Maybe friends you have in game will stop by once if you ask.  So it is more about building something the player enjoys doing on their own.  

Edited by JustTrogdor.7892
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, RoflCat.9827 said:

Well, as someone without one I wouldn't mind a variance to the Mistlock Sanctuary pass, but with those home instance nodes integrated too.

A subspace where you can gather your home instance nodes on top of having access to various functions you can unlock via achievements.

Like dungeon gates unlocked via Dungeon Discovered achievement, each crafting bench for 400+ crafting, etc.

Heck, maybe give it nodes for resources that previously didn't have one (Flax, Zhaitaffy, etc)

Have you looked at Eye of the North? You can activate crafting tables, services and expanding gate linking.  It pretty much have everything but home instance nodes, and is something everyone can acess without needing a pass, temp or not.

Though I still prefer the Divinity's Reach one as things is much tighter setup there. The Eye used to be wholly no mounts allowed, but they allowed it after complaints that the chamber was too huge with how things was spread out.

Though I do find myself often hanging out by the eye, as the linked gate allows quick access to strikes and DRMs.

Edited by LucianDK.8615

7 minutes ago, LucianDK.8615 said:

Have you looked at Eye of the North? You can activate crafting tables, services and expanding gate linking.  It pretty much have everything but home instance nodes, and is something everyone can acess without needing a pass, temp or not.

Though I still prefer the Divinity's Reach one as things is much tighter setup there. The Eye used to be wholly no mounts allowed, but they allowed it after complaints that the chamber was too huge with how things was spread out.

Though I do find myself often hanging out by the eye, as the linked gate allows quick access to strikes and DRMs.

Yeah, just got to it recently.

So maybe the new thing can incorporate both of them, as some kind of ultimate subspace.

Like if it's tower, where each floor is different 'season' of housing systems.

The lowest floor being the default home instance stuffs.

Maybe 2nd floor for later additions like expedition board.

3rd floor for Eye of the North stuffs.

In the future if they add more unlockable node, then more floors/areas can be added.

1 hour ago, RoflCat.9827 said:

Yeah, just got to it recently.

So maybe the new thing can incorporate both of them, as some kind of ultimate subspace.

Like if it's tower, where each floor is different 'season' of housing systems.

The lowest floor being the default home instance stuffs.

Maybe 2nd floor for later additions like expedition board.

3rd floor for Eye of the North stuffs.

In the future if they add more unlockable node, then more floors/areas can be added.

Imho I do not think ultimate suspaces ever will be a thing. Anet have released more different ones over the years. Scenic, fractal and wvw based ones. So they will most likely keep selling more over time. PoF for example had a subspace with the deluxe upgrade.

The fractal one comes close to being ultimate. many prefering it due to the ability to send you back to the zone you came from.  Personally I do not like it as its so cluttered it with npcs, in particular fluff npcs that it may take some moments to realize which of the 4 wings you want to go down.

Though with giving the Eye of the North free to everyone, there will surely be a markedly less desire to buy more among the great masses of players.  Though I wholly expect to see a snazzy canthan themed subspace with the EoD deluxe.  I just hope its not hopelessly spaced out like the PoF one.    I find a subspace is poorly designed if you get lost or struggle to locate what you want to find. That is why I love the Divinity Reach's one.

On 5/18/2021 at 8:55 AM, Poormany.4507 said:

I'm thinking underwater content, housing, and/or wall climbing would be the most likely for me.

Underwater content - The next expac seems to have at least partial water focus and this would be a good time to bring in underwater-specific exploration abilities, such as currents, deep sea pressure, interactions with underwater races and their home cities, etc. I wouldn't expect much in terms of combat due to general lack of player support and it being a nightmare for balance (about as much as mount button 1 attacks), but mainly for exploration utility.

Housing - Seems to have at least a moderate player appeal (based on the Forums at least), would provide for good long-term achievements/collectibles, and would be easy to sell gemstore skins. If it is housing though, I would really hope and am concerned that they do not lock 90+% of it behind gemstore skins and items.

Wall climbing - Last major movement ability that we don't have in large scale yet (although skyscale has some). Could do some type of wall walking/climbing/jumping/oakheart type things as masteries, as well as combat abilities like those mentioned by @Gran Reave.9754above. I even wonder if the recent tilt bug may be hinting at this being in development/experimented with?

YESSS, i'd be down for freerunning/rock climbing type stuff! that would also work well in with the whole cantha  (since it seems to be a mixture of china, taiwan, japan and more- I see a little of vietnamese style dress in the NPCs, but I haven't played it , so just from the NPC outfits I don't get much korean or filipino or malay or other countries vibes really ) ninja & wuxia type things!! and for traveling.   They could play off of ninja style lore and wuxia flying whatever. (could it be different skill trains for the climbing?? like one is ninja style climbing and flips, and the other is more wuxia style, and then incorporate other types of things from the other cultures cantha is inspired by?).   I'd be so down for rock climbing. We do a bit of roof hopping in gw now, but not climbing or other acrobatics.    What about a 'stealth'/sneaking mechanic in PvE (only pve, not wvw or pvp, i assume), along the canthan ninja-assassin types kind of thing.  That would be pretty cool (esp sneaking past monsters), but I'm not certain if it would unbalance things between those who don't have the expacs.

I would like player housing and am one of those dedicated minority who love guild halls (and wish they'd fix the bugs!), but I doubt that would make sense with Cantha.  Right now tho, character 'housing' seems to be just the poh and the guild hall, would it really work, would it be like, another house in cantha too?   (i hope they add cherry blossom trees as guild hall decor).  It's fun to decorate the guild hall.  (i wish we had more guild slots/it was less painless to switch.)

Before I read this I had a silly thought of maybe we could surf on the jade ocean in terms of traveling, but then again, we already have skimmers XD  (I'd prefer rock climbing and stuff tho).

If they do underwater combat,  I kinda want largos as a playable race (i'm not so interested in their character design but their culture and the voice acting, especially with hunting and honor and like, assassination missions as a way to get rep) but i know they won't be with cantha expansion, geographically it makes no sense. I feel like underwater combat expanded would be all right, but I'm not feeling it with cantha specifically, the beauty for me would most likely be above ground.   I don't want my character to be stuck under the sea all the time, unless they have some kind of underwater dragon palace like in the story Urashima Taro, which would be super cool.  Other than that, the underwater stuff would be really cool. 

• Like 1

tbh in regards to player owned homes, tho I like decorating, at this time, I feel like I rather just decorate the guild hall or my home instance's house or something.  I'd want a different house for each character too, if it existed...  right now, all my characters have their own home in the home instance, but they can't really decorate it at all.   The guild hall it kind of makes sense coz you're sharing it with friends. I don't know. I definitely would not be opposed to player owned homes or an estate you can build at leisure!!!  It would be very very nice!!   And especially if it isn't as expensive or arduous as say, like, capturing a guild hall and stuff, so all players could get access to it and decorate it up!   I hope that our scribes can make decorations there too though, and just have cheaper stuff added, because of how expensive it is to train scribe.  

I mean it actually would be pretty cool, depending on the amount of freedom and architecture you could do with the player owned home/estate, if they make it I'd be into it.  (the other question is, would it have to be in cantha or something? could you magically change the weather >U< ?

On 5/18/2021 at 9:45 AM, Kelly.7019 said:

Here is the thing with housing. some love it, some don't care. There are probably many games that have a good housing system. One that comes to mind for me is Elder Scrolls Online. It is woven into the game in such a way that it can be end game content.  Anything you loot has a chance to drop decoration plans. Where they drop might be more productive in farming for gold if they are valuable. Keep them, learn them or sell them for profit. Start with a tiny apt for free, use gold to buy bigger apts, homes & or use gems to buy mansions! (mansions could be small guild halls in size) Own 1 or 2 or own them all! Decorate how ever you like. Cosplay your house like you cosplay your toon. Or minecraft yourself a giant enterprise out of the decorations ingame. It's always more fun to make new decorations with other decorations.

ESO has a massive housing community for people that like to decorate in ways you might not realize. With some minor tweaks to gw2's  scribe system it could too be reinvented to be a new housing system here. Cantha could bring that but, seems unlikely. The main reason seems like they gave up on guildhalls was to sell those gemstore scroll things (blanking on name). Guildhalls while fun for the few that got to decorate kinda have problems in that not everyone can decorate. And since the cost is massive, not as many cared about doing it. They kinda shot themselves in the foot there or didn't want people to do it (because of resources) so made it super expensive and group based decorating. (people have ownership issues) A solo house decoration system would be better in this game.

My guess however is that first if they changed anything they'd allow our current personal instanced housing to be decorated. 2ndly since those places are already decorated they might look at doing a housing system in game, but again resources.  They seem small and poor, so i'd imagine some kind of gemstore unlock (like with gardening). Not saying i want that, i'd prefer it standard with the xpac as the op mentioned Hot had gliders, Pof had mounts, this xpac or another could have housing.

As for what people love about gw2- it has changed over the years. The original people that made it are all gone. The original intent is fading away. Micro transactions popped up. Shiney legendaries took a back seat to shiney gemstore items. Never raiding is now yes we have raiding. What you once loved about gw2 might not always be here.

yeah, i adore the guild hall, but it's so expensive to decorate, not everyone can do it. Also it's buggy.

I love doing it, but something easier access would be nice!  i prefer individual houses to group houses tho, because we already have guild halls for group decorating >U<

• Like 1

On 5/18/2021 at 10:19 AM, Bish.8627 said:

Fishing please. Give me something that is a time sink, relaxing enough I can watch a stream or something, with a chance to land rare enough stuff that makes money, so it keeps me there. Would also make sense that different places in the world land different fish/items so people can see different parts again.

i wouldn't be against fishing as long as it didn't turn into a boring runescape style grind  (guild wars 2 is not on phones yet, so ... grind is not for me).  If they make fishing, maybe you could swap between one mode which is more afk and one mode which is more -active game interesting like gw2 style-.  Could also just be something like, swimming/skimming/ over specific spots, or a meta.

• Like 2