A bit pissed at Devs

6 hours ago, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

When you buy a product, it's yours. I paid for GW2, and more than once. I consider GW2 "Mine". But it is all of ours, collectively.

If you bought a single player game on a physical media i'd probably agree with you - you pay a fixed price, it's yours forever to keep -  but this is an MMO.

It's not "yours" or anyone's as long as it's on a server, and since it's on a server, you and everyone else that's playing is basicaly paying for a service and access to it. So no, it's not "ours" because Anet owns the servers and thus owns the game and everyone on it. If they decide to flik a switch tomorrow and shut down the servers i wonder how you will play "your" game then?

• Like 4

I'm just truly sorry for the OP's dawning realisation of MMO's. 

It's wonderful you are passionate about Guild Wars 2, but in no sense beyond the propriety name of your character, and how you gear it or experience through the game; do we ever have any control, right, or directive on how we experience. 

You can be rightly annoyed at the direction something takes. You can rightly be upset about throwing 8 years into something you do not own or possibly change the outcome of. Those are within your rights. 

I hope you continue to enjoy the story for what it is, and be comfortable with one day this chapter will end too. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MSJ.8760 said:

On no less 4 different occasions I managed to figure our a ranged caster build that would viably work for me in PVE and very occasionally in WvW. considering my environmental factors. Now ... I barley manage to survive in PVE and don't even talk about WvW. I'm usually dead before I get my 2nd skill to activate. My point was STOP changing the game based on whiners or DEV's personal play style.

Yes .... I bought the game
Yes ..... I realize games add new content
Yes.....I have proof of different races /same profession /same armor/same trinkets /same build / same consumables = ending up with entirely different numbers... and no I'm not going to GIVE ANET a reason to take action against my account for proving my point with pictures. That's for you yourself to check out it's easy enough to do with cheap exotic gear.

Well, what profession(s) are you playing ?

Staff condi Mirage... rifle Deadeye... longbow Ranger... shortbow Renegade... are more than OK tier for PvE, and you may tweak your build for WvW.

I don't play Rifle Warrior, so I don't know how good/bad it is.

Open world PvE is not that demanding, and any builds can do the job, actually.

Nevertheless, if you want to play high end PvE like T4 Fractals/Raids/CMs, there are specific builds (meta) for this purpose, and ranged builds rarely shine there.

ANet can't take action against your account if you post screenshots of a bug. So please post your evidences. If you can't, I would assume you are not serious.

On 5/18/2021 at 7:20 AM, MSJ.8760 said:

Since when do WE have to play the game your way ?? Seriously

You favor melee combat over casters and yet RANGERS & DE hit from 1500 range. Now you're favoring condi over power builds

Here is a simple concept .... STOP SCREWING UP OUR GAME !!!!

Every time since launch when a caster class figures out something that works for them ..... YOU NERF IT !!!!

Here's one I bet the player base DOESN'T KNOW .... Make two characters of different races, same profession and same armor & weapons> press H & compare the numbers 

(THEY AIN"T THE SAME ) ... so your BALANCE PATCHES are simply making an UNFAIR game more unfair

Societies around the world have different terms to describe this behavior ... I'll let them pick their own words.

Brought to you by a CASUAL IDIOT that believes what his eyes can SEE ....not what they read,  and cannot be proven with posts,  using pretty words about balancing the game.

Just my 2 cents

look like your caps lock is randomly triggering, you might want to fix that too

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, MSJ.8760 said:

TO ALL ......... Anet HAS taken action in the past .... I've been suspended for negative posting about patch nerfs twice. DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH ... I had too !!!

Not risking a perma-ban cuz I post pictures of something they ALREADY KNOW is an issue and don't want it discussed.

What past? You only have 4 posts to your account and they are all on this thread. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Haha 3

16 hours ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

If you bought a single player game on a physical media i'd probably agree with you - you pay a fixed price, it's yours forever to keep -  but this is an MMO.

It's not "yours" or anyone's as long as it's on a server, and since it's on a server, you and everyone else that's playing is basicaly paying for a service and access to it. So no, it's not "ours" because Anet owns the servers and thus owns the game and everyone on it. If they decide to flik a switch tomorrow and shut down the servers i wonder how you will play "your" game then?

Technically, I believe that even buying a game on physical media does not grant ownership.  But that's a different topic.  😉

• Like 2

On 5/18/2021 at 7:20 AM, MSJ.8760 said:

Here's one I bet the player base DOESN'T KNOW .... Make two characters of different races, same profession and same armor & weapons> press H & compare the numbers 

(THEY AIN"T THE SAME ) ... so your BALANCE PATCHES are simply making an UNFAIR game more unfair.

OMG you're so right! Went to check my qFB charr and the asura one. 

Both have snow crow build they both are level 80 with full ascended/legendary gear and the Charr has 5more toughness than the Asura but 5 less condition damage 😨.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Technically, I believe that even buying a game on physical media does not grant ownership.  But that's a different topic.  😉

Technically i believe yes, you own nothing basically, the code and everything that is "the game" is owned by the company who made it. And then there's stuff like Steam and GOG where the line gets even more blurry so, yeah. 😛

1 hour ago, Fangoth.4503 said:

OMG you're so right! Went to check my qFB charr and the asura one. 

Both have snow crow build they both are level 80 with full ascended/legendary gear and the Charr has 5more toughness than the Asura but 5 less condition damage 😨.

Can you show a picture of both, that could be a serious problem. 

Have you also checked infusions? 

• Sad 1

41 minutes ago, yann.1946 said:

Can you show a picture of both, that could be a serious problem. 

Have you also checked infusions? 

Shhh he didn't precise infusions but yes Charr one is the tank one.

Could also be map scaling or him being on a mount tbf

Edited by Fangoth.4503
  • Sad 1

That you don't 'own' an MMO is correct this also the major reason GW2 is my last MMO .('m here because some buddys which hardly playing this game anymore) I played a few over the years most go the p2w route when I started playing GW2 it was the only one which wasn't p2w or subscribing passed.

But even when you look past p2w or MMORPGs there is a pattern I always disliked and this is major shifts in the balance which ruins my gameplay in the sense I enjoy playing with my character and then it is out of meta or just so hard to progress it becomes nonsense.

Why this happens ? People complain like crazy sometimes, bias from developers, or marketing wants to sell boosters or new add-on or even they want to make it more grind.

From my understanding Guild Wars tried to stay away from this because they players knew this pattern but because there are only a few people left from old times at Arena.NET this went more and more down the drain.

This is also the reason Asian MMOs were never successful in the west for Asian players an MMO is a slot machine, for western players a game is an excessive in skill and so also partially of control . This also why  mobile MMO are like wild fire in Asian and in the west : GO AWAY

In general I would say MMO aren't so hot any more for western audience because of how of they got burned with MMOs I would even say they got replaced by sandbox games.

By the way this is also true for all so called life services. Ask some farmers in the US

On 5/18/2021 at 11:01 AM, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

Well, if all of what you are saying is true then I must say, that really devalues the product in my eyes. Why even keep playing this game for 8 years now? The only reason I still play because the time I've invested. But if this is just a cheap "service game" then honestly that's pretty depressing. How can I keep playing a game, knowing that they could take it away from all of us at any time and we lost everything we paid for and spent time on.

You should be playing if it's fun or not, not due to the sunk cost of time.

And every game with online servers is a "service game."  If the company goes under or pulls the plug, it's over.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Lord of the Fire.6870 said:

From my understanding Guild Wars tried to stay away from this because they players knew this pattern but because there are only a few people left from old times at Arena.NET this went more and more down the drain.

Stay away from what? Major shifts in the game balance? Quite the opposite, actually. One of the first things we heard about how devs view the balance was the idea of "dynamic balance" - the idea, that the meta has to keep getting overturned on regular basis, creating change and bringing new life into the stale meta. that it's okay if the classes and builds are not too well balanced around each other, because the next time the balance hammer swings, the situation is going to change and the former leaders of the pack will get kicked down hard, while new strong builds will be promoted.

The idea never appealed to me, but Anet devs seemed to strongly believed in it, at least originally (and probably believe in it still, because it would explain a lot of what's going on with balance in the last years)

Edited by Astralporing.1957

On 5/18/2021 at 11:01 PM, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

Well, if all of what you are saying is true then I must say, that really devalues the product in my eyes. Why even keep playing this game for 8 years now? The only reason I still play because the time I've invested. But if this is just a cheap "service game" then honestly that's pretty depressing. How can I keep playing a game, knowing that they could take it away from all of us at any time and we lost everything we paid for and spent time on.

You have been playing for 8 years and didn't know?

I have been playing since launch and I know the game isn't mine, all I'm doing is paying for access to play Anet's game. Even "my" account and ccharacters aren't mine.

What's going on with the world today? People act all entitled when they don't read and understand the terms of what they're going into. Smh.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aldnoah.1567 said:

You have been playing for 8 years and didn't know?

I have been playing since launch and I know the game isn't mine, all I'm doing is paying for access to play Anet's game. Even "my" account and ccharacters aren't mine.

What's going on with the world today? People act all entitled when they don't read and understand the terms of what they're going into. Smh.

Everyone is focussed on convenience. They can't be bothered to read the "Terms of Service" for anything so when things don't go how they think they should we get arguments and rants like we're seeing on this thread. This attitude is everywhere now. People like this are super easy to control unfortunately.

On 5/19/2021 at 9:05 AM, Veprovina.4876 said:

Technically i believe yes, you own nothing basically, the code and everything that is "the game" is owned by the company who made it. And then there's stuff like Steam and GOG where the line gets even more blurry so, yeah. 😛

For the old single player NES or N64 or SEGA game cartridges / cd's? You definitely do own the copy that you purchased. Not the code or ideas or characters/settings, but the playable copy you do. The proof is that you can resell the copy to someone else and then they own that copy.

Any game that has a "key" is just a license to play, which is not the same and you do not own the copy. Usually just the access to some online service. The proof here is if you try to sell the "key". You can't.

Gaming has changed so much from when I was a kid, lol.

1 hour ago, dandamanno.4136 said:

For the old single player NES or N64 or SEGA game cartridges / cd's? You definitely do own the copy that you purchased. Not the code or ideas or characters/settings, but the playable copy you do. The proof is that you can resell the copy to someone else and then they own that copy.

Any game that has a "key" is just a license to play, which is not the same and you do not own the copy. Usually just the access to some online service. The proof here is if you try to sell the "key". You can't.

Gaming has changed so much from when I was a kid, lol.

Yeah, the good old days where stuff like this wasn't an issue.

I wonder how GOG stuff works then, cause it's all DRM free and "yours", so more like physical media but digital?

Probably not ahha, i can't see someone selling their GOG games to someone else second hand hahaha. But would be interesting to see if someone can come up with a system like that. That players can trade their "used digital games" to other plaers...

4 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Stay away from what? Major shifts in the game balance? Quite the opposite, actually. One of the first things we heard about how devs view the balance was the idea of "dynamic balance" - the idea, that the meta has to keep getting overturned on regular basis, creating change and bringing new life into the stale meta. that it's okay if the classes and builds are not too well balanced around each other, because the next time the balance hammer swings, the situation is going to change and the former leaders of the pack will get kicked down hard, while new strong builds will be promoted.

The idea never appealed to me, but Anet devs seemed to strongly believed in it, at least originally (and probably believe in it still, because it would explain a lot of what's going on with balance in the last years)

This problem is people  want to join, a game the more experienced players already looking for the builds and classes for what game mode they want to play and then basically getting the gear and learning rotation and mechanics. It just that there is a large junk of players who don't want to learn and invest in it every month new.

This maybe is for someone who want to be the one on the top of top differently but you must also see what consequence this has here and other games:

WoW : farm you gear for the new build/class , farm new currency (in between add-ons)

LOL:  You may buy the new character.

Neverwinter: You pay another few 100 euro/dollar for artifices and enchantments.

GW2: You may buy a new character slot, the legendaries on your main becomes worthless.

This doesn't cover the personal training you had and also not what fun you had with the particularly play style each build has/has while parts of the problems in Gw2 are solvable e.g trough the armoury. I doesn't pay for the fun so to speak.

I must also add we have roughly the same meta since end 2018 the so called heavy amour meta thw changes even more cements the role of guardian, rev and warriors (+ Scourge if we talk wvw &PvP)

2 hours ago, Super Hayes.6890 said:

Everyone is focussed on convenience. They can't be bothered to read the "Terms of Service" for anything so when things don't go how they think they should we get arguments and rants like we're seeing on this thread. This attitude is everywhere now. People like this are super easy to control unfortunately.

Well people often don't know what they go into with a 'live service'  but people are more individualistic then ever. I'm not an exception to this. For me this is also because this is a game 99% of it only effects me unlike when you are talking about coivd, politics or the environment. 

I must also the opposite of it is rationality this would be a in terms of the game a mathematically accurate balancing which is I think mostly possible so long there is no new addition. because you can actually calculate how a change around xy effect the dps of a build and you can also do similar things for healer.

• Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Yggranya.5201 said:

Remember playing co-op on the same computer/console with a single purchase? Yeah, it has changed.

You can still do that if you want to, just not with every game... which was also always true 🙃

• Confused 1

Gw2 Pre-HoT was a game that was sold to us as a "play your own way", "no holy trinity" and "no gear treadmill". 

I have to admit, if I felt like playing my "caster class" staff mesmer, I would be awful unpopular in dungeons, fractals or squad content, at least compared to a cookie cutter Power Chrono or Condi Axe Mirage. But it's still technically an option, I guess.

Edited by Westenev.5289

3 hours ago, Lord of the Fire.6870 said:

This problem is people  want to join, a game the more experienced players already looking for the builds and classes for what game mode they want to play and then basically getting the gear and learning rotation and mechanics. It just that there is a large junk of players who don't want to learn and invest in it every month new.

Well, the idea was first developed with SPvP in mind (because originally all balance attempts were mostly based around PvP modes), which did not have any gear investment attached to it then. Of course, nobody probably even considered how badly this might impact PvE. Besides, forcing players into more grind is always good, isn;t it? [/sarcasm]

As i already mentioned, i was never very fond of this way of thinking. But hey, what do i know.

• Thanks 1