A bit pissed at Devs

To the

On 5/18/2021 at 9:07 PM, MSJ.8760 said:

GOOD GRIEF Charlie Brown !!!!!!!!

The point of my original post was so entirely missed !!

Every balance patch change in the history of the game is primarily because a certain group of players whined loud enough & often enough. At first Anet just screwed up royal cuz everything was a GAME WIDE nerf ===> Now, at least it's a per game mode change.

Here's what "THEY" fail to understand ..... most melee skill times are roughly half that of a caster, but when you add in a players ping in my case best I can ever hope for is 750ms + cast time.. Players are USUALLY intelligent enough to figure what works for them based on environmental variables they deal with on a daily basis. When they find something that works they tend to stay with it.

On no less 4 different occasions I managed to figure our a ranged caster build that would viably work for me in PVE and very occasionally in WvW. considering my environmental factors. Now ... I barley manage to survive in PVE and don't even talk about WvW. I'm usually dead before I get my 2nd skill to activate. My point was STOP changing the game based on whiners or DEV's personal play style.

Yes .... I bought the game
Yes ..... I realize games add new content
Yes.....I have proof of different races /same profession /same armor/same trinkets /same build / same consumables = ending up with entirely different numbers... and no I'm not going to GIVE ANET a reason to take action against my account for proving my point with pictures. That's for you yourself to check out it's easy enough to do with cheap exotic gear.

Just stop screwing with the game basics to force a play style that suits the DEV's & the PvP whiners.

Just my 2 cents

Keep dying in pve?
Git gud.
But seriously, the hame is not that hard, if you are dying so much it's maybe because you are missing what the game is about.
It's not like you can play any build in pve but nearly anything that has a little sustain would work.
Usually I get people in chat complaining about dying in Pve are running full berserker without a good burst build(that would still mean suicide in some cases)...just don't do that and you are good to go.
Also, it's a game that has rules and in any way you decide to play you are plaing by what the devs want you to be playing so your point doesn't make sense.

On 5/18/2021 at 12:52 PM, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

Erm. No. We are the customers, it's "Our" game. If they produce a game that we don't want, guess who doesn't get paid?

Our as in theirs and ours together, if they decided to turn off the servers next week it wouldnt be that much of your game.

That being said nobody would want that so its a matter of players and devs working together for a good product.

On 5/18/2021 at 5:15 AM, Rihar.3465 said:

First of all, ANet is a private company, and Guild Wars franchise if their business product they sell to us. It is their game, not "ours", and ANet is free to do whatever they want. At the same time, if they mess up things really hard, some players may leave or stop buying gems which is the main source of income to them. That's in short how it works.

Modern society is still very immature and prefer creating raging posts on various platforms (Reddit, Twitter, here on forum) thinking they can really affect something by doing that.

ANet read forums, we know that. ANet doesn't really care about bots and hacks, we know it as well: it's a proven fact. But I will repeat again - ANet is free to do with their product whatever they want and balance it as they want. You as a customer/consumer have a single but strong way to express your opinion - your money. You don't like something - don't buy the product and anything related to it. Business language is a language of money, not emotions.

Now regarding the balance itself. When I came to this game, power classes were on top. Later after another balance patch things has changed - condi classes became meta. I had to abandon my power sword warrior and start crafting expensive Viper gear. Later I swapped to axe/axe warrior because it was performing well both in raids and in fractals, as well as in open world.

Things change every year or two and I find it to be a good thing. I prefer trying something new instead of seeing the same classes and builds everywhere (yes, guardians, ANet still gives you too much favor).

To be fair, I honestly think some of these bots are created to fluff out the queue system and population.

I mean, it may be a conspiracy but some of these mirage bots in particular are insane. Not only in terms of survivability and reaction time with using defensives, but the insanely fast response time when they sense the other player using a skill and use the interrupt mantra. I fought one yesterday in a match and it's like the freakin' bot knew I was going to use an ability before I did. Aggressive as crap too and will chase you until you're dead.

Then you have the others that don't seem that smart and are just like.. core necro bots that seem to not even know how to use shroud. I've seen some good Scourge bots though, and then uh... some of the core guard bots can be decent but they're usually just carried by aegis spam and the invuln virtue reset elite. 

But yeah, I don't know if there are just different priced/tiered services to the ai the bots use in these situations or if it's just certain classes being able to be scripted easier than others. I'd have to think it's the former because I've seen some mirage bots that were terrible and some that I struggled with due to the fact that they somehow managed to go invuln several times in a row, dodge at the exact right moment everytime, interrupt instantly, and seemingly become invincible at like 10% hp only to come back from stealth with near full health.

As far as condition over power goes, I think one problem is that they seem to want to tack on conditions to everything because they want to give each spec some freedom to play differently than just being locked into power focused/condition focused. But I think often times it's kind of a missed mark or empowers something in a way it doesn't need to be empowered. Like holo getting so many burns on their forge 4 pistol ability. It's already insanely bursty but then you add several stacks of burn onto it and it's just free damage they don't need.

Or reaper randomly getting a ton of poison to reaper shroud 4. I don't know if that was to make it more viable as a condition alternative for necros to synergize with specific traits or if it was intended to make the ability more punishing in pvp. It's a little unnecessary in pvp, imo.

Another thing I can think of is Renegade shortbow and the amount of conditions it puts out for having some pretty high burst damage. 

I think these kinds of things (balance changes, "pay to win," etc.) can be something different people view differently based on their past experiences.

My first MMORPG was Ragnarok Online, but on a private server.  Talk about no recourse.  I played on a few private servers, and they were almost all run by some college kid with a server in their basement, and they could put whatever game-breaking stuff they wanted in the cash shop and implement whatever nerfs they wanted in the game, and the whole server could just disappear overnight (and sometimes did).  The people running the servers didn't have the legal right to run them, and they were free to play, so the cash shop items were the only way people were making money, so of course they put pay to win things in them.  It was imba as all get-out.

By comparison, nearly anything is better.  I don't say that to mean that there's never anything wrong with other games, just that, historically, I'm used to chaos. =P  By contrast, ANet's cash shop items are all aesthetic, not anything that breaks game play.  And you can trade gold for gems.  Balance changes at least appear to be made in good faith, even though they will always frustrate someone (RIP my old grenade kit engi and the beautiful range they used to have back at launch).  I feel comfortable putting money into the game because I am enjoying (most of the time) the experience ANet is providing.  And while the game is not mine, the memories and friendships I'm making are mine, and those are ultimately why I play.  (Cue emotional violin music.)

I will also add that I've been a GM before, and a forum moderator for an MMORPG, and it's one of the most thankless jobs.  No matter what you do, several people are always unhappy.  People rarely talk about things they enjoy.  Even valid criticism is often expressed in the most vitriolic ways.  You can create something where people like 95% of it, but oh my word, they will burn everything to the ground and personally attack over that 5%.  So while I totally get being frustrated by certain things in the game, I think it can be helpful to remember that real people put their real heart and soul and creative energies into this.  We should definitely be able to talk about what we don't like, but it might also be nice to talk about things we do like sometimes, too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Well, the idea was first developed with SPvP in mind (because originally all balance attempts were mostly based around PvP modes), which did not have any gear investment attached to it then. Of course, nobody probably even considered how badly this might impact PvE. Besides, forcing players into more grind is always good, isn;t it? [/sarcasm]

As i already mentioned, i was never very fond of this way of thinking. But hey, what do i know.

Well thinking back this was also the reason why Neverwinter got so many changes(balance patches) when I still played it. The game itself  and the skills in it was already based on a "balanced" D&D paper version in the x iteration. But then people started to call for a nerf of the thief because it was so good in PvP  which happened but then they buffed Warriors. As soon hunters(with  their ability) to uncover stealth)were announced I stopped playing thief and started playing PvP-healer.

I admit that I have an uncanny ability to find the most successful dps class in an MMO just by login into it xD.

But I switched to heal there then because I finally saw the pattern already back then. It doesn't matter if your class is really OP people will complain in PVP when

1.Lot of people playing this class

2. They can pull of more then others for the people who complains it doesn't matter how proficient the players are who plays that.(My Weaver😭)

This alone cause an endless cycle of balance patches.

Because of this some MMO completely separate PvP from the rest of the MMO

3 hours ago, msalakka.4653 said:

Setting aside the personal story missions being different, of course, until they converge.

You missed that this was a refute for the person saying asura and norn dont have same stats.

Both being level 80 with same gear/skills etc right?

On 5/18/2021 at 4:50 PM, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

I pay for access to HoT and I'm delivered a CD Key. If I lose my CD key and I contact support - am I entitled to a new CD Key?

Yes?

Then I own the product. I paid for HoT, Anet delivered me a CD Key in exchange for my money. Are you saying I don't own the CD I paid for that is in my possession?

If I lost my CD Key and contacted support with my name and date of birth, they would re-issue me that CD key, would they not? Or would they just tell me "Sorry, you don't own anything from that transaction. You have no right to the "service" you paid for. Good day!"

you will understand the day the game shuts down and you madly click in your desktop shortcut.

On 5/18/2021 at 7:50 AM, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

I pay for access to HoT and I'm delivered a CD Key. If I lose my CD key and I contact support - am I entitled to a new CD Key?

Yes?

Then I own the product. I paid for HoT, Anet delivered me a CD Key in exchange for my money. Are you saying I don't own the CD I paid for that is in my possession?

If I lost my CD Key and contacted support with my name and date of birth, they would re-issue me that CD key, would they not? Or would they just tell me "Sorry, you don't own anything from that transaction. You have no right to the "service" you paid for. Good day!"

Should you lose your Serial Key, the CS Team may help you regain access to your account, but they will absolutely not re-issue you the Serial Key, or issue you another.

https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/230895568-Finding-Your-Serial-Code

In most cases, you won’t need your serial code once it's been used to unlock the game. That said, we highly recommend storing or saving your serial code in a safe place, since it can be used as a unique identifier that will help you verify ownership of your account if something ever happens to it. Please note that support will not be able to provide this information if you misplace your code.

• Thanks 3

On 5/21/2021 at 9:51 PM, Sobx.1758 said:

You can still do that if you want to, just not with every game... which was also always true 🙃

Sure, you can play co-op on a few indie games. Most games that aren't single player have online multiplayer so it can be played co-op only if you buy two consoles and/or games. Top that off with Xbox gold and PS plus and we're at peak money milking.

24 minutes ago, Yggranya.5201 said:

Sure, you can play co-op on a few indie games. Most games that aren't single player have online multiplayer so it can be played co-op only if you buy two consoles and/or games. Top that off with Xbox gold and PS plus and we're at peak money milking.

Fifa, the most indie game in existance. I won't list games that allow you to do that, because it would just be stupid and a waste of time. You're just wrong, go google couch coop games or w/e. There's plenty, so no need to pretend there's none or "just some indie games".

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Confused 1

On 5/18/2021 at 10:52 AM, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

Erm. No. We are the customers, it's "Our" game. If they produce a game that we don't want, guess who doesn't get paid?

will if they listen to all suggestions on this forum, they will ruin the game enough to not get paid yeah
customer might be king but trying to please all customers will just ruin your business.

Edited by Fangoth.4503

And this is why I don't like meta builds and refuse to use them XD
Always the ones being hit by nerfs.. and largely the reason FOR! the nerfs in the first place.

And as other's have pointed out, this isn't "our" game it's Anet's game.
We can influence at best but that's about it.

Edited by Teratus.2859

On 5/18/2021 at 7:20 AM, MSJ.8760 said:

Since when do WE have to play the game your way ?? Seriously

You favor melee combat over casters and yet RANGERS & DE hit from 1500 range. Now you're favoring condi over power builds

Here is a simple concept .... STOP SCREWING UP OUR GAME !!!!

Every time since launch when a caster class figures out something that works for them ..... YOU NERF IT !!!!

Here's one I bet the player base DOESN'T KNOW .... Make two characters of different races, same profession and same armor & weapons> press H & compare the numbers 

(THEY AIN"T THE SAME ) ... so your BALANCE PATCHES are simply making an UNFAIR game more unfair

Societies around the world have different terms to describe this behavior ... I'll let them pick their own words.

Brought to you by a CASUAL IDIOT that believes what his eyes can SEE ....not what they read,  and cannot be proven with posts,  using pretty words about balancing the game.

Just my 2 cents

Im confused. 

What casters are u referring to which suddenly don't work? Are you talking staff ele? Because that was a broken rune 🤣 

But.. this patch brought back staff / sceptar+torch mesmer. A fully ranged caster in both PvP and PvE. 

Condi builds aren't winning in every case. Power Soulbeast GS is still in line with condi Soulbeast. Power weaver are 1/2k difference. 

Here's the real problem. 

Your all fixating on numbers u will never achieve quite litterally, bench marks aren't real fights. They don't prove anything. They prove in a perfect situation against a boss that doesn't move or react. 

Who cares what the damage ceiling is when 90% of the playerbase can't even make it to 70% of that damage number. The vast majority of players are doing 20k DPS while it's capable of 40k. 

Power and condi builds are a few K in difference DPS wise. And that gap will never be reached by a average player as most of you weren't reaching the numbers to begin with. 

Games balanced to be done on like 20-25k DPS and you guys are screeching because Ur class is benching 38k instead of 42k. 

There's my 2 cents.

• Thanks 1