New path to legendary armor?

1 hour ago, Ayrilana.1396 said:

If there was an easy mode raids that awarded as many LI as normal raids, people wouldn’t care. Or at least nowhere near the level as they seem to now. 

So? Wouldn't this give you guys everything you wanted? You could be sure the only people who ever joined your squad actually had skill and wanted to play at that level? If you don't believe anyone, including yourself will still do them, then you don't believe they're fun and you don't actually enjoy them.

Also I enjoyed Strikes, I didn't enjoy raids, so maybe easier ones would be more enjoyable and there'd be more involvement, justifying more dev time, just like I don't know, WoW raids? But no, the GW2 raiding community just couldn't handle that. because the real reason they raid is so they can feel more special than everyone else.

Edited by Firebeard.1746
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Ayrilana.1396 said:

People only say it’s terrible because they’re challenging. If there was an easy mode that awarded the same number of LI, there wouldn’t be nearly as many people complaining. 

Nnnnnope, I say they're terrible because every game where they've been introduced they have, at varying rates, completely destroyed the games community as players compete with each other to get into parties and guilds that enable them to do the content.  Their very existence engenders a world of 'haves' and 'have nots', which is contrary to everything that GW2 was in the beginning.  For the first few years, if there were 'haves' and 'have nots' it was entirely cosmetic.  No function, no utility, no statistical advantage, I just get to look niftier than you.  This was good.

• Like 3
  • Confused 4

2 hours ago, Ayrilana.1396 said:

I've farmed a legendary armor set and the ring from WvW. 

And how long it took you to obtain them? In both playing time and general timeframe (time from start to end of whole legendary farm)?

2 hours ago, Ayrilana.1396 said:

Being highly skilled in WvW has zero impact on how quickly you obtain pips.

Not directly. But veterancy in the mode (WvW rank) does, and being skilled/more knowledgeable about the mode does help you get those ranks much, much faster.

• Confused 3

2 hours ago, Firebeard.1746 said:

Also I enjoyed Strikes, I didn't enjoy raids, so maybe easier ones would be more enjoyable and there'd be more involvement, justifying more dev time, just like I don't know, WoW raids? But no, the GW2 raiding community just couldn't handle that. because the real reason they raid is so they can feel more special than everyone else.

Frankly to expand on this point, the only reason I don't raid is time constraint - even if we disregard gear, learning encounters etc, assembling a raid squad, and actually getting those wings cleared is multi-hour venture, and I don't play GW2 because I have time for multi-hour ventures on single sitting, I play GW2 because I don't and in most of it, GW2 is very friendly towards people on time constraints like me.

And strikes are actually good middleground for that - on paper at least - raid level encounter, but can be run with public MM, and well it's only a single encounter, so it is much shorter than a wing clear.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

I'm kinda confused because people are talking about easy mode/beginner mode raids. That's Strike Missions. It was the developers' explicit intent for Strike Missions to be an easy raid. It even has a (mostly) unique armor set attached to it.

It seems backwards and silly to try to push 'easy mode raids' just so that people can get Envoy armor.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, Sarrs.4831 said:

I'm kinda confused because people are talking about easy mode/beginner mode raids. That's Strike Missions. It was the developers' explicit intent for Strike Missions to be an easy raid. It even has a (mostly) unique armor set attached to it.

It seems backwards and silly to try to push 'easy mode raids' just so that people can get Envoy armor.

People have always asked for easy mode raids. Since the launch of HOT. The last two-three pages have veered onto that topic. I personally dont think raids should have an easy mode that still rewards LI. That is from someone who wants a pve legendary armor set that doesnt include raids as part of it.

The Envoy armor skin should be a reward that raiders can only obtain, while an alt set with a generic look to it can be obtained by those not wanting, not willing, or unable to do raids can obtain, just for the functionality of it.

In the end its up to anet. Arguments can go back and forth between both sides of it forever but one side of it does also have a smaller playerbase.

Threads asking for an easier to obtain set will pop up till either the game dies or anet introduces a set that doesnt incljde raids. *shrug*

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

41 minutes ago, Lord Trejgon.2809 said:

Frankly to expand on this point, the only reason I don't raid is time constraint - even if we disregard gear, learning encounters etc, assembling a raid squad, and actually getting those wings cleared is multi-hour venture, and I don't play GW2 because I have time for multi-hour ventures on single sitting, I play GW2 because I don't and in most of it, GW2 is very friendly towards people on time constraints like me.

That's more or less the reason I don't get into raiding besides the very few times I did do them. I just can't commit my time to one single sitting on top of getting a group of 10 people and clear mutliple wings. That's also why I primarily play Fractals and Strikes. They are raid like experiences that you can jump into relatively quickly and clear in a relatively short time depending on group experience.

6 minutes ago, Sarrs.4831 said:

You completely right. Considering that point there really is not much of a reasont to beginner/easy raids. It does offer unique armor but it unfortunately is not legendary quality.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lord Trejgon.2809 said:

And strikes are actually good middleground for that - on paper at least - raid level encounter, but can be run with public MM, and well it's only a single encounter, so it is much shorter than a wing clear.

But for waht exactly do you need a Legy armor if you can't even spare a few hours in the evening on 1 or 2 days the week?

Do you think a legy armor for PVE will be less time consuming and without content you don't like.

Because, lets one time be real. For Anet at least Fractals are pve and i bet for a "pve" amor you need at least to do fractals ... in a group ... and when you need to pug, then good luck.

------

I think, most have the time and commitment but are simply afraid. Either they have had negative experiences, like some say here, and project that onto everyone, others read all these negative experiences and then its happening because they search for exact this people, or they don't even start because they think they can't do it.

The problem is probably that not everyone has someone to take them by the hand, as I am doing with my best friend. She has mega fear of failure and that they flamed and without me she would have raids, or even t4 fractals never considered.

Because in general the same people write in these threads. Most PVE'ler will not care about that completely. Friendsy for example did not even know that a legy for pvp/wvw armor exists although she's (strangely enough) strouls very often alone in wvw.

That's the problem with gw2 for me personally. The content is not hard. But the learning curves in terms of mechanics and lightning storm bosses are enormous for many.

Most of the groups I raided with rarely lacked DMG. But the simplest mechanics because many were overwhelmed and then panicked. Or one thing failed and then the whole run suddenly went badly for the person because of panick . No idea whether this is a gw2 mentality.
In my WOW times I have rarely experienced that people panicked and wanted to quitten if something has not worked as it should be. Quite the opposite.

Yesterday at the second phase the tank was ported and vale went into his cc phase right in a dmg field. After that there was a lot of chaos. I myself was also out of my rota, but in the end we killed him without anyone dying. I rarely see that in training runs. Since such a thing will quickly kill half of the people and then some people will leave because its to much stress for them, whats sad. 

I still have some stress in raids when I missclick(My group had to gg'n once yesterday at sloth because I had accidentally eaten the mushroom when I wanted to write something but was not in chat xD.) or so but I'm a pretty ambitious person.

I would really like to see once that the people who write here that they do not want to raid because the community is kitten or that they think they don't have the skillset for this content, have the luck i have, who actually had almost only positive groups where i could learn everything but also cleared most of the raids. As @Cyninja.2954 said~, i was carried at the beginning and then later carried friends of mine~ because its a much more pleasent expirence when you actually kill something.

But of course you have to take a step and look for groups or join training runs and either have my luck and be approached by experienced players who ask if you will join them, or approach others.

Well, but this will be just a hope i think. This discussion is 17 sites long, with the same arguments and circle-writing. As always :D.

Edited by Fuchslein.8639
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Fuchslein.8639 said:

But for waht exactly do you need a Legy armor if you can't even spare a few hours in the evening on 1 or 2 days the week?

Do you think a legy armor for PVE will be less time consuming and without content you don't like.

Because, lets one time be real. For Anet at least Fractals are pve and i bet for a "pve" amor you need at least to do fractals ... in a group ... and when you need to pug, then good luck.

------

I think, most have the time and commitment but are simply afraid. Either they have had negative experiences, like some say here, and project that onto everyone, others read all these negative experiences and then its happening because they search for exact this people, or they don't even start because they think they can't do it.

The problem is probably that not everyone has someone to take them by the hand, as I am doing with my best friend. She has mega fear of failure and that they flamed and without me she would have raids, or even t4 fractals never considered.

Because in general the same people write in these threads. Most PVE'ler will not care about that completely. Friendsy for example did not even know that a legy for pvp/wvw armor exists although she's (strangely enough) strouls very often alone in wvw.

That's the problem with gw2 for me personally. The content is not hard. But the learning curves in terms of mechanics and lightning storm bosses are enormous for many.

Most of the groups I raided with rarely lacked DMG. But the simplest mechanics because many were overwhelmed and then panicked. Or one thing failed and then the whole run suddenly went badly for the person because of panick . No idea whether this is a gw2 mentality.
In my WOW times I have rarely experienced that people panicked and wanted to quitten if something has not worked as it should be. Quite the opposite.

Yesterday at the second phase the tank was ported and vale went into his cc phase right in a dmg field. After that there was a lot of chaos. I myself was also out of my rota, but in the end we killed him without anyone dying. I rarely see that in training runs. Since such a thing will quickly kill half of the people and then some people will leave because its to much stress for them, whats sad. 

I still have some stress in raids when I missclick(My group had to gg'n once yesterday at sloth because I had accidentally eaten the mushroom when I wanted to write something but was not in chat xD.) or so but I'm a pretty ambitious person.

I would really like to see once that the people who write here that they do not want to raid because the community is kitten or that they think they don't have the skillset for this content, have the luck i have, who actually had almost only positive groups where i could learn everything but also cleared most of the raids. As @Cyninja.2954 said~, i was carried at the beginning and then later carried friends of mine~ because its a much more pleasent expirence when you actually kill something.

But of course you have to take a step and look for groups or join training runs and either have my luck and be approached by experienced players who ask if you will join them, or approach others.

Well, but this will be just a hope i think. This discussion is 17 sites long, with the same arguments and circle-writing. As always :D.

Theres a huge difference between 1-2 hours in a mode you enjoy and 1-2 hours in a mode you dont.

I have the time personally to do full wing clears. What i do lack are people doing wing clears before 10pm in my timezone(east coast). Which the guild im in is going to try to have some earlier on in the day here soon, and i hope it happens as i do enjoy raids and i miss doing them.

What? Someone who enjoys raids wants an armor route thats not locked behind raids? Madness!

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

Raids should absolutely have an easy mode, probably 2 easy modes:

There should be a story mode that is very difficult to fail, so anyone interested in the story of wing can experience it.

Then you have an easy mode. This doesn’t offer the reward of harder modes but exposes players to the actual bosses of the wings (instead of strikes that have little value as training given that you still don’t know what the actual raid fight mechanics are). 

Next is the normal mode raids are at currently.

Last, there should be a hard mode with more punishing mechanics and significant enrage timers.

Lacking granularity is why raids failed to make an impact on GW2. Launching with only a single difficulty meant that raids would be too hard for the vast majority of the player base (who were mostly being challenged by open world zergs and simple story missions) and they were too easy for the top players. Other successful mmo raiding scenes have tiers of difficulty. It’s not a complex idea, nor is it a bad one.

• Confused 3

3 minutes ago, Dante.1763 said:

Theres a huge difference between 1-2 hours in a mode you enjoy and 1-2 hours in a mode you dont.

I have the time personally to do full wing clears. What i do lack are people doing wing clears before 10pm in my timezone(east coast). Which the guild im in is going to try to have some earlier on in the day here soon, and i hope it happens as i do enjoy raids and i miss doing them.

What? Someone who enjoys raids wants an armor route thats not locked behind raids? Madness!

Join Raid Academy discord, people do runs there at all hours.

8 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

I dident say it was a good idea maybe learn to read?

Im 700 btw.

I said if that was the only way to get pips and everyone could do it.

They would do it for rewards.

Kinda like you know anyone can open up a raid instance hence that comment about infinite eternal maps.

Learn to read? Really? You said we would all play it to get pips and I said I wouldn't. To double down and say again they which includes me would all do it to get rewards when I just said I wouldn't tells me you need to learn to read. It is also a terrible idea.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

27 minutes ago, Dante.1763 said:

I never said i'm against a pve-route for legy armor. Others and me, just not get one answer of any of you how this would be implementable in PVE so that all here in the thread(not just you) are satisfied. But still so that it not makes all other legy armos of raids, PVP and wvw time-wise obsolete.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

48 minutes ago, Fuchslein.8639 said:

Ok, let me elaborate on this one - at the moment being specifics of my irl situation leads to the fact that I can't spend "few hurs" in single continuous sitting within any single day of the week. I still play relatively lot, but it goes in short bursts of 30m-1h at a time.

And I would very appreciate legendary armor, because it would cut down on the biggest issue I ever had in GW2 so far - gearing and adapting on stats on all of my characters.

That being said I am not saying I want non-raid pve armor set, I am perfectly ok with slowly chipping at pvp set as I am already doing spvp for daily completionist (they are most time efficient on that). I just decided to chime in on the argument of people asking for ez mode raids, and provide additional insight that challenge is not the only factor for people to not run raids.

I love your wording in here: "lets one time be real" - casually implying that for the most of the time we are not xD

But yes I think it would be fair assumption that non-raid pve legendary armor would be rather fractal armor, and not OW armor, had AN ever decided to actually develop one. And I would not mind tbh - fractals are much shorter than raids, so when I finally dig myself out of all the OW/LWS list of mid-long term to-do-lists.

------

I cannot speak for most, but all in all, if we ignore raids and arguably wvw for a moment GW2 is structured to be very asual friendly, and the bulk of modern casual players are working people with families, and therefore limited time to commit for gaming.

And here is a fun thing, I had participate in a raid exactly twice, and in both runs mechanics were not an issue, first one was just vale guardian so it overall went smoothly, it's just that core of the squad had to go after it, but second one went all the way up w1 to sabetha where we failed up until disband of the squad. Reason of failure? squad failed to meet dps check of the boss, hitting enrage timer repeatedly.

I would really like to see once that the people who write here that they do not want to raid because the community is kitten or that they think they don't have the skillset for this content, 

Can't speak for the rest of forum users in this thread but in my case, again it is a case of I don't have time to raid. If not for time restrictions I would totally give it a try just for the armor if nothing else

And as a matter of fact myself I did found a nice guild that does raiding all the time, it's just they always have a raid running when I am 100% sure I don't have a timewindow for such commitment xD

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, Sarrs.4831 said:

I agree. I just wish the game provided more directions as to what content served what purpose, where to go etc. I can imagine getting into strikes/raid is actually not that hard, but the information barrier is huge because Anet cannot slap a simple Content Guide/FAQ in the game

Edited by Mik.3401

14 minutes ago, Lord Trejgon.2809 said:

Ok, let me elaborate on this one - at the moment being specifics of my irl situation leads to the fact that I can't spend "few hurs" in single continuous sitting within any single day of the week. I still play relatively lot, but it goes in short bursts of 30m-1h at a time.

And I would very appreciate legendary armor, because it would cut down on the biggest issue I ever had in GW2 so far - gearing and adapting on stats on all of my characters.

That being said I am not saying I want non-raid pve armor set, I am perfectly ok with slowly chipping at pvp set as I am already doing spvp for daily completionist (they are most time efficient on that). I just decided to chime in on the argument of people asking for ez mode raids, and provide additional insight that challenge is not the only factor for people to not run raids.

I love your wording in here: "lets one time be real" - casually implying that for the most of the time we are not xD

But yes I think it would be fair assumption that non-raid pve legendary armor would be rather fractal armor, and not OW armor, had AN ever decided to actually develop one. And I would not mind tbh - fractals are much shorter than raids, so when I finally dig myself out of all the OW/LWS list of mid-long term to-do-lists.

I cannot speak for most, but all in all, if we ignore raids and arguably wvw for a moment GW2 is structured to be very asual friendly, and the bulk of modern casual players are working people with families, and therefore limited time to commit for gaming.

And here is a fun thing, I had participate in a raid exactly twice, and in both runs mechanics were not an issue, first one was just vale guardian so it overall went smoothly, it's just that core of the squad had to go after it, but second one went all the way up w1 to sabetha where we failed up until disband of the squad. Reason of failure? squad failed to meet dps check of the boss, hitting enrage timer repeatedly.

Can't speak for the rest of forum users in this thread but in my case, again it is a case of I don't have time to raid. If not for time restrictions I would totally give it a try just for the armor if nothing else

And as a matter of fact myself I did found a nice guild that does raiding all the time, it's just they always have a raid running when I am 100% sure I don't have a timewindow for such commitment xD

And from what you write, then it's not the raids fault but simply that you're one of those "I have a life and a family" players where I feel like your words say that raiders can't have that (while we're at it, putting words in each other's mouths :3).

I know some raiders who have family, job and whatnot it takes to be considered an adult and still raid successfully.

If you have a solid group(which of course also means that people do not play any thrown together builds. That's what I told my people from the beginning when they wanted to participate in our training raids.), raids also do not take several hours, even if you have no pro-group. But if you'r group needs more time, you could also ask if you could split it.
If your guild gives something about their members, they will not say anything against it.

In the groups where I was so far, something like that was always discussed.

But as you say pvp or wvw amor is perfect for you then. You can do that when you want and as long as you want. Wvw is even more flexible than PVP where you have to wait for groups. So hf~ 🙂

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

And how long it took you to obtain them? In both playing time and general timeframe (time from start to end of whole legendary farm)?

Not directly. But veterancy in the mode (WvW rank) does, and being skilled/more knowledgeable about the mode does help you get those ranks much, much faster.

I figured you would eventually respond as you always make sure to respond to every post of mine. 

As for WvW ranks, it doesn’t really take skill to gain them. You join a zerg or just go around and take objectives solo. Really no different from leveling. 

The point that I was making was that when people compare the two modes for legendary acquisition, they always ignore the time it takes to learn their rotations as well as gain the skill to consistently complete raids at whichever rate is being compared. All to often you see people using a rate (such as four hours) for raids, which isn’t something a new player would immediately achieve, and compare it against a rate in WvW of a new player. 

• Confused 2

1 minute ago, Ayrilana.1396 said:

I figured you would eventually respond as you always make sure to respond to every post of mine. 

As for WvW ranks, it doesn’t really take skill to gain them. You join a zerg or just go around and take objectives solo. Really no different from leveling. 

The point that I was making was that when people compare the two modes for legendary acquisition, they always ignore the time it takes to learn their rotations as well as gain the skill to consistently complete raids at whichever rate is being compared. All to often you see people using a rate (such as four hours) for raids, which isn’t something a new player would immediately achieve, and compare it against a rate in WvW of a new player. 

You took all that effort to reply, but avoided answering. But then, i figured you would.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

7 hours ago, rrusse.7058 said:

Do you think having a Beginner Mode or Easy Mode would be helpful for the raiding scene? Would that motivate people to engage with raids more, in turn making legendary armor an option for more players?

Not for this game with its player base. As easy mode really shouldn’t be a path to legendary armor. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Firebeard.1746 said:

You know exploits on bosses in other games are almost immediately patched? Right? So basically you're saying it's okay for raiders to take shortcuts, but if it was possible for WvWers to get more progress actually doing activities that contribute to your server score (Killing other players, capturing things, the essence of the game mode) it shouldn't be rewarded?

Killing your alt character would take too much time (you'd have to corpse run them back to a secret place, or risk camping too close to an enemy spawn point. Trading captures also has a timer on it. And what would be wrong with people killing and capturing?

It's way more useful than someone who maybe just tapped SMC's wall every now and then.

Also trade captures would be more difficult to pull off because you'd need cooperation from other members on your server.

I'm sure despite your "exploits" organized groups that play the game mode properly would still progress faster than people attempting to exploit for as little effort as possible which it sounds like is an MO you're very familiar with, regardless of game mode.

Please do not twist what I said nor make up things and say that I said them. 

• Confused 1

36 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

You took all that effort to reply, but avoided answering. But then, i figured you would.

I didn’t include the number because it’s on those in the thread choosing to ignore it to provide it since they’re the ones who brought up comparing the acquisition rates in the first place. My point in the thread was ever for them to simply include it. 

Edit:

I didn’t really want to get swept into the umpteenth thread about this. I originally posted because the someone was doing comparisons in days which is misleading as it doesn’t account for the variations of hours which could occur within those days. Similar to someone going and saying that someone can farm enough gold for a legendary weapon in fours days through Silverwastes. 

I then asked for the time it took to learn rotations and learn the raids themselves to be included.  Similar to how how telling a new player how much it would cost them to craft their first ascended item should include the cost to get the crafting profession up to that level.

Edited by Ayrilana.1396
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Fuchslein.8639 said:

People don't only get things because they need them though. I would say that actually, MOST of the things people work to are things they don't need. I would fully expect leg. armor to be unreasonably hard for the casual 1 or 2 day a week player to get ... but that's not the point here. The goal of the ask isn't to outfit the most casual of players with BiS gear. 

The fact is that Anet is creating assets for the game that have little value as long as only the 1% of the 1% are engaged in activities related to those assets. That's a big miss. 

On the player side, it's a fabulous long term option that has the potential to keep the 'missed' segment of people playing since the level of engagement of a new LS or event is probably around just a month. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3

3 hours ago, Fuchslein.8639 said:

And from what you write, then it's not the raids fault

Well they are long instances that take alot of time to assemble team for and clear.....

But aside from that yeah, more of a me issue than raids issue 😉

but simply that you're one of those "I have a life and a family" players where I feel like your words say that raiders can't have that (while we're at it, putting words in each other's mouths :3).

Employed people with family tends to have much less free time, than the ones whom either are still at schooling/uni period, or are singles 😉 And most of raiders I know tends to be mix of both. Yeah yeah small and biased sample size 😛

I know some raiders who have family, job and whatnot it takes to be considered an adult and still raid successfully.

Good for them 🙂

If you have a solid group(which of course also means that people do not play any thrown together builds. That's what I told my people from the beginning when they wanted to participate in our training raids.), raids also do not take several hours, even if you have no pro-group. 

Last time I kept track on local raiding groups it was still 2+hours, for weekly sitting, with variable amount of encounters actually cleared. Local guild static was recently celebrating being able to finally fit wing 4 after weeks of training  together. And also note to bear in mind is that when you want to be member of a static group, you need to make commitment that you will be able to be there every week. My current time schedule is in such constant flux, that I cannot even promise friends that I will be available at set hour tomorrow, not to mention on every x day of the week for following months to come.

But if you'r group needs more time, you could also ask if you could split it.
If your guild gives something about their members, they will not say anything against it.

That is a bit unfair to alot of guilds - I know at least one where they do care about members, but there is virtually not enough commanders to actually lead everything on everyday, and they have schedule of running raids, strikes, wvw raids, and more.

But as you say pvp or wvw amor is perfect for you then. You can do that when you want and as long as you want. Wvw is even more flexible than PVP where you have to wait for groups. So hf~ 🙂

Well wvw comes at a disadvantage that it's tied directly to time spent in the mode, a good match often has a chance to get more progression towards pvp one, than equivalent time (waiting for MM + match itself) in wvw 🙂 

• Confused 1