What do wvwers get?

asterix.9614

Alliances are the big thing, but that's a base game update because it would make absolutely no sense to restrict it to people who buy EoD and have a second system for people who don't. New elite specs might also have an impact on WvW, but we won't know what difference they'll make until we find out what they are and how people use them.

It's also possible the siege turtle will work in WvW. Anet haven't said either way but I know a lot of players are asking for it (and it seems logical) so maybe it will happen.

Personally I'd love a new WvW map, but those have not been well received in the past and I think it's a lot of work to create one so I can see why Anet might have given up on that idea.

Alliances must be implemented according to an updated wvwv reward system (to single players and alliances/guilds). Having alliances without properly rewarding players for building such alliances and keeping the competitive level high is a nonsense. Of course alliances will allow anet to better control population issues so matches are going to be better equilibrated in terms of population (current link system is a fail), but if anet only stays at this level, without any motivation on winning your MU, it will end as it is now: ppl with 0 motivation just playing from time to time in a casual or semi-casual mode.

WvW needs rewards so winning matters, tiers matter and being in one alliance or another matters.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Blackfish.7349 said:

Alliances must be implemented according to an updated wvwv reward system (to single players and alliances/guilds). Having alliances without properly rewarding players for building such alliances and keeping the competitive level high is a nonsense. Of course alliances will allow anet to better control population issues so matches are going to be better equilibrated in terms of population (current link system is a fail), but if anet only stays at this level, without any motivation on winning your MU, it will end as it is now: ppl with 0 motivation just playing from time to time in a casual or semi-casual mode.

WvW needs rewards so winning matters, tiers matter and being in one alliance or another matters.

Cause kitten the people who cant into a top alliance guild, right?

• Like 6

Time will tell and in a few weeks we will get a better picture what will be in WvW besides Alliances. I dont think WvW Alliances is a solution but a start and we will see if it gets abused like 3 large guides controlling the outcome. I hope this does not happen but I am sure ANET knows this is possible and have an answer to this as well.

25 minutes ago, Blackfish.7349 said:

I have read and know some older beta WvW players and they all said something like the following:

"Rewards .. go to pve.. we are here for the fights..."

I am glad we have rewards in WvW and do not know how it was like playing WvW during beta and a few years after that but I have been told and seen in youtube the massive fights. I really hope this WvW Alliances brings out these massive fights again. Viewing these videos reminded me of the massive fights we had in AION which I missed alot as well of course the open world pvp and getting chased when you kill too many players as you are marked as a skull on the world map. Good old days...

Anyway if this brings those fights and brings back new and older WvW players - this will be a great thing for WvW and I can finally be part of it a well.

Hope for the best!

Edited by killforbeers.7534
  • Like 1

Maybe it depends on your server but WvW does still get massive fights. I'm on Desolation and sometimes my biggest problem is finding a group which is actually playing WvW and not just meeting up with a huge group from another server to go round in circles farming each other, but we get real fights too. Last time I was involved in taking Stonemist Castle there were 60 attackers (50 in the squad, 10 more in their own squad reporting back via map chat) and there must have been at least 50 defenders.

Although some people object to players actually trying to claim and hold objectives. I think because then you 'risk' moving up a tier and it's easier to farm other players in the mid tiers.

That's one thing Alliances might fix: players who want to actually play WvW, capturing and defending objectives, can form alliances focused around doing that and hopefully get matched against other alliances with similar priorities and ones that just want to farm each other for drops can form separate alliances to do that. That will depend on how the match-making works though.

1 hour ago, Dante.1763 said:

Cause kitten the people who cant into a top alliance guild, right?

Read what I said:  updated wvwv reward system (to single players and alliances/guilds). U need to reward tiers to create competition and competition will bring old players back. Rewarding tier position you reward all players that achieved that tier and also alliences/guilds involved. All will get rewarded, but anet must create differential rewards depending on tier, make the fights have a goal! (alliance/guild pride, items rewards, economic rewards,...all of them)

"Rewards .. go to pve.. we are here for the fights..."

The pro wvw fighter always says so, but it is not what he/she really think. Rewards attracts poeple, they need people to fight! What do we have right now? Same rewards no matter the tier, no recognition, just combats without purpose,...why do I have to try harder or improve if I will get the same thing as the pro player? Why an alliance would need my services if I just play randomly? ppl gets demotivated, they fight for nothing, nobody cares on the result, they end leaving... WvW needs competition and recognition to survive.

I'm ver curious how the future for WvW will look. I try not to be overly negative or jaded, but it's hard, every WvW'er will know the feel. I just hope Alliances will maybe fix a few things when it comes to populations and matchmaking.

The Siege Turtle will be a very interesting one. On the one hand, if it actually sieges stuff, it would make perfect sense to have it in WvW. The Warclaw definitely changed WvW, for me it was an improvement. That being said, on the other hand, the Warclaw was not well received and had to be toned down to a level where it actually just is a means of fast travel. Every other functionality, breaking doors, finishing players, had to be nerfed to keep WvW "the pure experience" the fans wanted it to be. So I don't know how the WvW world would react to having Siege Turtles in game that can actually siege things.

Edited by lokh.2695

5 hours ago, Telgum.6071 said:

Alliances, and I guess the siege turtle

Also I have this feeling of WvW receiving a new map. That's the minimum, considering their "cornerstone" view.

Might be a new map, but I doubt siege turtle will be a thing in wvw.

• Confused 1

siege turtles, battle boats :9

nothing confirmed yet tho for "cornerstonemode" Wvw lel.

2 hours ago, ASP.8093 said:

Well, ideally what we get is a new meta thanks to new especs.

yeah right, so people can once again complain about "broken meta classes that ruin our fun so we cannot still roleplay random ranger memes with bobo stats"

the new classes likely bring some new dps in. any power dps with aoe options can become a new meta pick basically.

currently, nothing is known about the new elite moves, but those are often very decisive in picking a class. either that, or sheer fast brutal power dps. or some absurdly broken utility (like warri bubble of spb)

Edited by kamikharzeeh.8016
  • Like 1

Well WvW gets 9 more specializations thrown into the mix. That should create endless drama over the next year or so as some players whine and complain that they're too powerful, are un-unkillable, have infinite invisibility, have pets that do too much damage etc., etc., etc.

It should be fun. Bring a bucket for all the tears and some popcorn 😂

• Like 1

What WvW'lers should get and what they will get are two very different pairs of shoes...

- Alliances? Might not even be a EoD feature, but will roll out independently. Which could mean we will see it before or even after February 2022. Upon arrival Anet needs to give people reasons to join alliances, which has to be some sort of reward overhaul.

- Siege Turtle? Gaining a 2-person powered mobile siege platform that gets fuelled by Supply and is a lesser version of conventional siege (or on par with currently useless siege, like ACs) could be a means of make roamers work together more closely. The Siege Turtle mastery could involve unlocking a extra attacks (e.g. the ability to damage walls/gates), abilities (e.g. shield bubble), capability to receive supply from external sources (like "repairing" ammunition/supply for the turtle).

- Skiffs? Those make sense to me, only if we get a new map that is heavily water based, so we could be forced to traverse certain areas only via the Skiff (e.g. you can't swim for long, or you take damage while swimming), or we have to ferry siege turtles close to walls etc.

- New map? If that wish gets real, will it replace an Alpine Map (people will complain) or will it be in addition to the old maps in a rotation system (people will complain)

- Rewards? Will they normalize the skirmish tickets across the reward chests (WvW mains will complain, although they will receive the same amount after a week, that it is too easy now for the casuals)? Will they give us an exchange system for Badges, Tickets, Emblems etc.? Will they actually increase the rewards to get them closer to other "cornerstones" of the game?

- Guilds? Will Anet revitalized the "middleman" between the lone wolf players and the big Alliances in any way (like removing the 3-men constraint on the more "roamy" guild missions)?

If things turn out badly, you might be able to do a few new Canthan themed reward tracks for things you can get in PvE in 10% of the time.

@Andy.5981 that is no argumentation simply. the elite specs are not specifically made for Wvw, obviously. kinda obvious they will cause debate and some will likely become meta. that all doesn't matter however, as it is not precisely content made directly for our starved format called Wvw.

@Gorani.7205 i think the skiffs have potential, if they can sorta give them a senseful use. maybe they flood some ruins areas again to have more water. adding too much extra water outside of map mid is probably not thaat much of a good idea.

like in the alpines: reduce the capture points to, idk, three (bloodlust isn't a great mechanic, could also just remove the cap points imo) and then just flood like half of the lower areas of it. some land should be still there, so u can walk over it, but the ruins are not that important.

in desert border, u can flood a big area in the midst of the map, maybe even going towards one close towerside (odel acadamy)

and yeah, the boats would need some fighting reason as well. maybe ability to chose between some type of siege. or giving them different boat types, with like different cannon types or sth alike.

(lets face it, core cannons, catas, ballistas, arrowcarts.. are all so freaking dead boring. alone their sounds bores me to death)

tbh: i don´t expect WvW-players to get anything "special" or "exclusive". Even though ANet stated WvW to be a "cornerstone", they have showed us over the past years, that actually the opposite is the case. (Just some quick "keywords": population balancing, matchup victory rewards, balance changes, bug fixes, innovative events, and many more)

The new elite-specs are nothing limited to WvW, but something that will just get into WvW "because it exists". And it will mess up the Meta for sure (just as heavy balance-changes, and that is what new specs basically are, always do). But this will surely calm down once the players figured out a meta (and will come up again once ANet realizes what they messed up, becauses i´m sure ANet WILL mess up the balancing). 

Siege Turtle? hmmm, maybe. It´s too soon to tell if it will come to WvW or not, and how it will impact the gameplay in WvW. It could be a nice addition, but i expect the same as with the warclaw (too strong in the beginning, and getting nerfed into the ground pretty fast). 

Skiffs? same as siege turtle. although they will only come to WvW if we get another map that can actually utilize it well (the current alpine and desert maps dont have a place for skiffs)

Rewards? i really hope there will come something along with the expansion. I especially look at rewards, that are given for a won matchup, rather than an ongoing reward for playing (like Reward-Tracks). 

Guilds? well, it´s hard to tell what exactly will happen, as ANet will roll out alliances step by step and over time, independent of EoD. Alliances will be the chance to fix population, but at the same time it is also possible that it will completely screw up existing communities due to constant changes of your team-members (because of re-building the alliances, the filling up with players without guilds, or guilds that are not part of an alliance). That´s because you won´t "fight under the flag of a server" anymore.

• Like 1