Exotic armory

40 minutes ago, LSD.4673 said:

There's a vast array of stat combinations out there, yet how many of them see use?

They'd see use if they could be easily selected and not be a burden to acquire and maintain.

In the meantime, we continue to see the exact same builds across the board...

THIS!

• Like 2
  • Confused 7

On 8/18/2021 at 3:13 PM, LSD.4673 said:

...which is, as i specifically said, completely against the tenet of being "fun"/casual-friendly.

People harp on about the "gear grind" or treadmill or whatever in other games. Legendaries are a grind under a different name -- and that's fine, as items of presteige for people who want that grind. But for those who want to play casually, what are their options? Shelling out real money for gold to try out builds? Or simply sticking with the meta?

The vast majority choose the latter. It's what causes stagnation, and turns people away. It's to the extent that balance patches focus exclusively on meta builds, neglecting balance as a whole.

Your choce is always exactly that -your choice. Exotics with selectable stats are easy enough to acquire that you can get however many pieces you want/need.

Also nothing about that is "against the tenet of being fun/casual-friendly" and too many people lately try to use it for the sake of justifying complaints about not having everything unlocked for them. The casual-friendly thing relates to no need to constantly farm to catch up with gear treadmill and no level cap increase with each new release. You can get your exotics/ascended gear, quit for a year, come back and still be as relevant as you were the moment you quit. Additional stuff like legendaries have nothing to do with it.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 4
  • Confused 2

I do not want anything like the Legendary Armoury for any other gear type.

I want my Ascended and Exotic gear to remain as items that I can put into my inventory.

It's already bad enough that Arenanet didn't give us a choice for our Legendaries to remain as items.

That mistake needs to not be repeated for other rarities.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, LSD.4673 said:

6 armour pieces, 1-3 weapons, 6 accessories, like 20odd combinations. You do the maths.

To try out different builds will set you back hundreds of gold in stat swaps on the insignias/materials. 

Hence nobody bothers with the non-essential stats. It's pointless diversity. 

For a game that claims to be about "fun" and casual-ness, it sure fails to follow that methodology on so many fronts.

Even in the most extreme cases these days you are talking about 25g for a complete conversion. Maybe another hour or two for the trinkets if you play it smart..

This is for a complete swap of the stats on BiS gear.

Two hours farming metas?

Maybe Three?

Four if your only source of gold is chopping wood in Mount Maelstrom?

And if that sounds extreme to you, the game showers you in Stat selectable armor that is second-BiS. Further, if you want to experiment with core stats the price for second-BiS is negligible.

This is BY FAR the easiest MMO to gear up in, it absolutely does encourage variety.

People arguing otherwise are being intellectually dishonest to support an ulterior agenda.

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, LSD.4673 said:

6 armour pieces, 1-3 weapons, 6 accessories, like 20odd combinations. You do the maths.

To try out different builds will set you back hundreds of gold in stat swaps on the insignias/materials. 

Hence nobody bothers with the non-essential stats. It's pointless diversity. 

For a game that claims to be about "fun" and casual-ness, it sure fails to follow that methodology on so many fronts.

Accessories a re moot.  You can get mist ones and i t's like 6g to reset all 5.  Blood ruby one can be redone  with a capacitor for Unbound Magic.

Armor.  The most expensive insignia is ~7g 56s.  let's round this to 8g, Ectoplasm to 25s, and spirit shards opportunity cost to 20s each.

10 spirit shards = 2g * 6 is 12g
6 insignias = 48g
30 ecto = 7g 50s
Total for armor = 67g 50s

worst case for weapons is having to stat swap 4x

Most expensive inscription is ~4g.
5g from ecto (20 globs), 8g for spirit shards (40 in total)

17g to stat swap at the worst cost.

84g 50s .  Let's add 30g for runes and sigils which makes it
114g 50s.

You need to change the sets around so rarely that this is generally a one-time cost if you come back from a break.  Also, if you have maxed out crafting, it's generally extra cheap to just craft the insignias and inscriptions you need to then stat swap.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

Exotics are cheap or easy to make.  I run them on characters that I'm learning or trying out a build.  Ascended ones like marauders that are pretty universal and I know I'll use a while.  No reason to make an armory of them, they are salvaged once they're not longer needed.  Everything does not need to be account wide or permanent in game, it's part of playing the game...you save up, you gather resources, you research a little.  Yes there a lot of stat combos, it can be confusing and overwhelming, but see no need to reduce the value of legendaries or even ascended by having account wide access to every piece of exotic you find...ick. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LSD.4673 said:

...which is, as i specifically said, completely against the tenet of being "fun"/casual-friendly.

People harp on about the "gear grind" or treadmill or whatever in other games. Legendaries are a grind under a different name -- and that's fine, as items of presteige for people who want that grind. But for those who want to play casually, what are their options? Shelling out real money for gold to try out builds? Or simply sticking with the meta?

The vast majority choose the latter. It's what causes stagnation, and turns people away. It's to the extent that balance patches focus exclusively on meta builds, neglecting balance as a whole.

The "build/equipment storage" could have alleviated the problem, but Anet chose to milk the system...

You define fun by being given end game ascended stat gear (which is already ridiculously easy to obtain) for dirt cheap, already more cheap than it is to obtain.

This is not fun, this is just getting things for borderline free, which is fun how? You don't even get the experience of acquiring it over time which is part of the enjoyment. You already have plenty of resources to get stuff whilst also being casual at the game, I know, because I am one. 

I have a job, go to university and study for web development to further my job, and I workout sometimes twice a day due to being on a team and have roughly 1-2 hours to play the game (sometimes less) a day, so I spend that time doing HoT maps, fractals and daily then I log off. I have over 10 sets of ascended gear I've accumulated and have a set of legendary armor I've accumulated over years of raiding. It's not hard to get gear in this game.

If you can't manage your time and resources efficiently, that's not on the game, but you.

"The vast majority choose the latter. It's what causes stagnation, and turns people away. It's to the extent that balance patches focus exclusively on meta builds, neglecting balance as a whole."

That's not why people turn away from the game, that's another topic entirely, mainly due to the fact they release an expansion every 2-4 years and don't have the staff to pump out content regularly, this is why people get bored of the game and eventually stop. 

Getting ascended gear in this game is ridiculously easy and has nothing to do with people running away from this game.

This is a learn to play issue and much rather also a "I want things for half the effort" issue.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mindcircus.1506 said:

Even in the most extreme cases these days you are talking about 25g for a complete conversion. Maybe another hour or two for the trinkets if you play it smart..

This is for a complete swap of the stats on BiS gear.

Two hours farming metas?

Maybe Three?

Four if your only source of gold is chopping wood in Mount Maelstrom?

And if that sounds extreme to you, the game showers you in Stat selectable armor that is second-BiS. Further, if you want to experiment with core stats the price for second-BiS is negligible.

This is BY FAR the easiest MMO to gear up in, it absolutely does encourage variety.

People arguing otherwise are being intellectually dishonest to support an ulterior agenda.

25g for a set. How many stat combinations are there in the game? About 40, now?

The one and only way for a player to go about doing this is with 3rd party sites like GW2Skills, which are utterly dull.

What was that other tenet the game was made using? No more "preparing to have fun"? No other MMO features this much "preparation" for fun.

This is the easiest MMO to gear up and follow the meta with. Do a couple Verdant Brink runs, buy what's left over, hey presto, you have a set of exotics and can go follow a zerg...

What a joy that is.

There's a reason the hemorrhaging WoW playerbase of late hasn't translated into GW2 players...

2 minutes ago, superkaratemonkey.7408 said:

You define fun by being given end game ascended stat gear (which is already ridiculously easy to obtain) for dirt cheap, already more cheap than it is to obtain.

This is not fun, this is just getting things for borderline free, which is fun how? You don't even get the experience of acquiring it over time which is part of the enjoyment. You already have plenty of resources to get stuff whilst also being casual at the game, I know, because I am one. 

I have a job, go to university and study for web development to further my job, and I workout sometimes twice a day due to being on a team and have roughly 1-2 hours to play the game (sometimes less) a day, so I spend that time doing HoT maps, fractals and daily then I log off. I have over 10 sets of ascended gear I've accumulated and have a set of legendary armor I've accumulated over years of raiding. It's not hard to get gear in this game.

If you can't manage your time and resources efficiently, that's not on the game, but you.

"The vast majority choose the latter. It's what causes stagnation, and turns people away. It's to the extent that balance patches focus exclusively on meta builds, neglecting balance as a whole."

That's not why people turn away from the game, that's another topic entirely, mainly due to the fact they release an expansion every 2-4 years and don't have the staff to pump out content regularly, this is why people get bored of the game and eventually stop. 

Getting ascended gear in this game is ridiculously easy and has nothing to do with people running away from this game.

This is a learn to play issue and much rather also a "I want things for half the effort" issue.

Did you fart on your keyboard? You've built yourself a strawman, told us about how you play the game, and then made some random accusations. 

Was there a point to this post?

• Confused 7

1 hour ago, LSD.4673 said:

25g for a set. How many stat combinations are there in the game? About 40, now?

The one and only way for a player to go about doing this is with 3rd party sites like GW2Skills, which are utterly dull.

What was that other tenet the game was made using? No more "preparing to have fun"? No other MMO features this much "preparation" for fun.

This is the easiest MMO to gear up and follow the meta with. Do a couple Verdant Brink runs, buy what's left over, hey presto, you have a set of exotics and can go follow a zerg...

What a joy that is.

There's a reason the hemorrhaging WoW playerbase of late hasn't translated into GW2 players...

Did you fart on your keyboard? You've built yourself a strawman, told us about how you play the game, and then made some random accusations. 

Was there a point to this post?

Yea and that reason is ff14 that fits their need more being quite similar to wow.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, sevenDEADLY.5281 said:

Honestly this post just seems like an "other people have something cool and I don't, so now I want it but I don't want to put as much effort in" post.

Yep, entitlement is strong in this thread, i rarely call people that i'm sorry but there only other words for this "Jealousy"; "Lazy"

14 hours ago, jhnsmth.2641 said:

This game should support all players, not just the rich ones.

Funny i wish i was really rich because after crafting 1 legendary, i ended up with 30g and have to re-start the whole process of grinding.

This is just laughable, you don't like putting in the legwork and just complaints hoping for easy reward. You want something? You work for it!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, sevenDEADLY.5281 said:

Honestly this post just seems like an "other people have something cool and I don't, so now I want it but I don't want to put as much effort in" post.

It has the potential to be a pretty cool idea.

Could you imagine if you could unlock say, a legendary  piece without stats associated with it, right?  Then, slowly, via collections and material sinks, you unlock the prefixes you want for the pieces.

Current legendary equipment already comes with the most bang for the buck; all attributes unlocked from the get go.  This method I'm suggesting would require extra  work by first acquiring the piece, then doing each collection for the prefixes. Probably a sprinkle of every bit of content in the game.

• Like 2
  • Confused 5

This game should support all players, not just the formaly rich ones.

Anet should introduce exotic armory where we could select stats like the legendary armory except the exotic stats

which are somewhat weaker.

The unlock mechanism could be acquiring (account bound) exotic items.

In this way this game would be more accessible like the Guild Wars 1 was.

There I fixed it for you.

• Haha 1

This game should support all players, not just the people who spent so much time farming and playing the game, accrued such wealth, then spent it on a legendary.

Anet should introduce exotic armory where we could select stats like the legendary armory except the exotic stats

which are somewhat weaker.

The unlock mechanism could be acquiring (account bound) exotic items.

In this way this game would be more accessible like the Guild Wars 1 was.

6 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

There I fixed it for you.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

8 minutes ago, Sir Alymer.3406 said:

It has the potential to be a pretty cool idea.

Could you imagine if you could unlock say, a legendary  piece without stats associated with it, right?  Then, slowly, via collections and material sinks, you unlock the prefixes you want for the pieces.

Current legendary equipment already comes with the most bang for the buck; all attributes unlocked from the get go.  This method I'm suggesting would require extra  work by first acquiring the piece, then doing each collection for the prefixes. Probably a sprinkle of every bit of content in the game.

This isn't a bad idea.  However arenanet already had to scrap the legendary journey aspect of legendaries due to time constraints so creating a whole new legendary journey to add associated stats just seems like a step backwards into something that has already failed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, sevenDEADLY.5281 said:

This isn't a bad idea.  However arenanet already had to scrap the legendary journey aspect of legendaries due to time constraints so creating a whole new legendary journey to add associated stats just seems like a step backwards into something that has already failed.

Yeah, I know.  I can dream, though.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, LSD.4673 said:

Maybe you weren't in the right position to craft a Legendary if all you had left was 30g...

...in which case, maybe you aren't in a position to be mouthing off.

I always end up with less then 300g when im done crafting a legendary tho. Sometimes less than 100. Im up to..16? Really doesbt matter how little one ends up with. Shame theres no way to craft a non effect version of vision/aurora or id have those too.

This thread is just awfuly entitled and i thought it was a joke at first >.>

• Like 5

QoL should not be exclusive to Legendary items.

It is so stupid to not let beginners/casuals to try/use the armory features.

It is against the accessibility of this game.

Exotic stat swapping would not render Legendary items obsolete.

The shininess and the stat difference should be enough to keep them interesting.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2

This idea would completely destroy some of the benefits of legendary gear and therefore devaluate the effort and cost put into it by a large degree. It would be a legendary effort for cosmetics and slightly better stats compared to exotic. I mean some people don't even care about some of the skins but got them anyway because of the ease of use. And why exotic gear? What about ascended then?

Exotics are hella cheap and much more easily available compared to ascended and legendary gear. I don't see the need for this even from that point of view. Plus it would have a major effect on the TP if exotics got this treatment and that would make exotic loot also worthless pretty much.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, jhnsmth.2641 said:

QoL should not be exclusive to Legendary items.

It is so stupid to not let beginners/casuals to try/use the armory features.

It is against the accessibility of this game.

Exotic stat swapping would not render Legendary items obsolete.

The shininess and the stat difference should be enough to keep them interesting.

Beginners and casuals don’t really need the features of the armory. And if they do need them, they can just craft legendary gear. 
And not all legendary items have a unique shiny skin, so no stat difference and shininess is not enough. The armory is the best feature of legendary items. And should stay exclusively for them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

Just a reminder that crafting/selling/buying exotics and materials for ascended is one of the main ways the game sinks gold and thus maintains a healthy in game economy.

Making an Exotic Armory would require new, powerful gold sinks that everyone is going to hate and which will easily outweigh any QoL gained from stat-selectable Exotics (Say hello to 5g Waypoint Fees or 20g repair costs). 

• Thanks 6

19 minutes ago, mtpelion.4562 said:

Just a reminder that crafting/selling/buying exotics and materials for ascended is one of the main ways the game sinks gold and thus maintains a healthy in game economy.

Making an Exotic Armory would require new, powerful gold sinks that everyone is going to hate and which will easily outweigh any QoL gained from stat-selectable Exotics (Say hello to 5g Waypoint Fees or 20g repair costs). 

Yup, because the economy is more important than gameplay.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 4