EoD Elite Name Change, First Wave

I really think ANet should change the name of these elites. The current names are not fitting at all, and they could save these names for the next set of elites. 

I think names are more below are more fitting.

Mesmer- Psionic

Necromancer- Vermillion 

Guardian- ? (Willbender just doesn't sound right)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 7

I'm wondering if someone on the team is a big Stormlight Archive fan. The Willbender is reminiscient of the Willshaper - one of the orders of the Knights Radiant. This order hasn't featured prominently in the books yet, but its 2 surges (Transportation and Cohesion) are both mobility-based - and the Willbender's main appeal for the Guardian is increased mobility.

• Like 2

Virtuoso is fine (though Psionic does sound cooler and is more in line with how many of the skills are Psionic-type). The word implies expertise, especially of the musical variety, so maybe this name should have been saved for a Mesmer bard spec of some sort. However, I'm at peace with it being used for this. Be an expert at throwing sharp zippy blades. Have fun.

Harbinger? Didn't get that vibe from the class at all. The theming seems like a scatter of disease, embarrassing kung fu poses, and Canthan Jade (which I feel we don't know enough about but that maybe should factor into the name of this spec since it's so prevalent in the visuals). The inclusion of a gun feels like an afterthought. Personally would have preferred Exorcist or Ghostwalker, a ghost/spirit-themed Necromancer spec with nods to Cantha's long and complicated history with things dying and not staying dead.

Willbender is... It sure is a name. Willbreaker might be the easiest repair for this one. Much as I have loved the amazing and endless stream of joke names in the beta (Bend It Like Becky, for example), it just doesn't project the relentless nature of the spec's skillset. This is an in-your-face bully spec that chases you down and punches you into veal, whereas Willbender makes it sound like they're just gently nudging you with their boot to try and feebly convince you to give up. Mesmers do sneaky stuff like rule-bending, Guardians should break them (or Warriors, now that I think about it). Other possible names? Brawler. Juggernaut. Eviscerator. Executioner.

It is most definitely too late to rename any of these (they won't even revert the 'off-line' thing and are viciously defending it like a racoon defending half a bagel), but brainstorming certainly is fun.

• Like 7

Psionic for mesmers definitely sounds more relevant than virtuoso.

Harbinger doesn't make sense at all, i think they just tacked on a name that sounds kind of ominous and necro-ey. From google: Harbinger - A person that announces the approach of another. Doesn't have anything to do with drinking potions or spreading blight.

Willbender just sounds vaguely sexual it needs to go asap. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

Vermillion is a red pigment (and the name of the shade it produces...and a city in Pokemon). What does that have to do with the new necromancer spec?

You're right. I would actually prefer they change the necro color to red from green, like they changed Scourge to tan from green. I think Vermillion also has more to do with toxins or toxics, which falls right in line with the utility skills. It's a much more fitting name. Harbinger does not fit this elite at all.

• Confused 3

Harbinger makes perfect sense.   Pestilence is the first horseman to arrive at the apocalypse.  

I actually like virtuoso.  It suggests the mesmer's mastery over combat to such a level as to be art.  All the other professions are brutish and stab and bash things.  Virtuosos elegantly neutralize the lives of their enemies.  It's a fitting mesmer theme.

Agree on teh general opinion here about Willbender.

52 minutes ago, Zuldari.3940 said:

I agree with mes and esp guardian, come on willbender? If you had to use will how about Willbreaker, or maybe something like swordsman or Bladesman.  But honestly I like harbinger ever hear harbinger of doom? harbinger of death?

Willbreaker sounds great.  

Essentially, the theme of this new guardian elite isn't so much protection (a defensive and less aggressive approach).  

Imperial bodyguards force all others into blind obedience to the Emperor. This is more like the theme of the new guardian elite wants to be.

So a +1 from me for changing it to Willbreaker.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Rogue.8235 said:

Harbinger makes perfect sense.   Pestilence is the first horseman to arrive at the apocalypse.  

I actually like virtuoso.  It suggests the mesmer's mastery over combat to such a level as to be art.  All the other professions are brutish and stab and bash things.  Virtuosos elegantly neutralize the lives of their enemies.  It's a fitting mesmer theme.

Essentially, the theme of this new guardian elite isn't so much protection (a defensive and less aggressive approach).  

Imperial bodyguards force all others into blind obedience to the Emperor. This is more like the theme of the new guardian elite wants to be.

Thanks I think that would suit it too. But it prob wont happen there is just something about how a name rolls off the tongue that makes it or breaks it. Willbender sounds too soft and for some reason I think like a wizard when I hear it. WillBreaker sounds melee and something an elite imperial guard would be called. 

Harbinger is okay even though it's kind of an incomplete name. Harbinger of Koolaid.

Virtuoso; I don't really get it since it seems more of a music/bard thing but I can live with it.

but Willbreaker is worldbreakingly awful. To think a whole culture would use a name like that for such an 'important role.' It just rolls off the tongue poorly.

On 8/19/2021 at 2:27 AM, VocalThought.9835 said:

You're right. I would actually prefer they change the necro color to red from green, like they changed Scourge to tan from green. I think Vermillion also has more to do with toxins or toxics, which falls right in line with the utility skills. It's a much more fitting name. Harbinger does not fit this elite at all.

It's just a color tho.

You might as well be saying "Hey, check this out, let's rename Spellbreaker to Magenta."

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Rogue.8235 said:

I totally agree, and yet I can't help but wonder if the developers meant to name the especs "Bladesinger" and "Willbreaker", and then discovered that both those names had been trademarked by other companies in the gaming space and so settled on the alternatives we have...

• Sad 1

I agree that the names could be better.

Virtuoso seems fine, as it does not only work for instruments. It is more like being a Master Artist with Blades. Psionik or Psyblade would also be fine.

Harbinger sounds necroish, but the mechanic doesn't have those vibes for me. Maybe rename it as Plaguedoctor, Witchdoctor or Alchemist and reserve Harbinger for the next Spec.

Willbringer sounds a bit strange and the mechanics don't have anything that fits this name (didn't play GW1 so I don't know if the fluff makes sense for the name). German translation is even more creepy, as nearly nobody would use the term "Willensverdreher". "Gedankenverdreher" could be a solution, but i suggest to rename the Spec complitely.

10 minutes ago, Naneel.2348 said:

Willbringer sounds a bit strange and the mechanics don't have anything that fits this name (didn't play GW1 so I don't know if the fluff makes sense for the name). German translation is even more creepy, as nearly nobody would use the term "Willensverdreher". "Gedankenverdreher" could be a solution, but i suggest to rename the Spec complitely.

Translations are strange sometimes. I never understood why the "Mirage" was translated to "Illusionist" in German, but maybe that was the intention behind the Mirage.

I would have liked "Zealot" for the Willbringer, but maybe the Zealot-like elite was already named Firebrand according to the Firebrand's lore.

11 minutes ago, Naneel.2348 said:

I agree that the names could be better.

Virtuoso seems fine, as it does not only work for instruments. It is more like being a Master Artist with Blades. Psionik or Psyblade would also be fine.

Harbinger sounds necroish, but the mechanic doesn't have those vibes for me. Maybe rename it as Plaguedoctor, Witchdoctor or Alchemist and reserve Harbinger for the next Spec.

I don't get the concept of willbender any way. I mean how is it bending the wills of opponents? That sounds more like a mesmer spec. Even bladetwister would be better, but it's all about movement and gap closers really. And none of the utilities can be used under water. That's also a downside.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

I don't get the concept of willbender any way. I mean how is it bending the wills of opponents? That sounds more like a mesmer spec. Even bladetwister would be better, but it's all about movement and gap closers really. And none of the utilities can be used under water. That's also a downside.

But EoD is totaly the underwater expansion guys right?

• Haha 1