Jump to content
  • Sign Up

EoD end of an era.


Recommended Posts

So I logged in last night to try out the elites, popped up the Gemstore to see whats on, and I saw the EoD advertisement in the window. Nothing new there, but I then saw written below it,  end of an era.? What do they mean normally when you see end of an era it means the close of something great. Is EoD the final chapter in GW2?

  • Haha 5
  • Confused 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

The devs have repeatedly stated that no, this is not the end of GW2's story, nor of the game as a whole. It's (supposedly) the end of the dragon cycle - to what end exactly is unknown. Who knows where we'll go from there?

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Batel.9206 said:

The devs have repeatedly stated that no, this is not the end of GW2's story, nor of the game as a whole. It's (supposedly) the end of the dragon cycle - to what end exactly is unknown. Who knows where we'll go from there?

Interesting since the world is based around dragons right? 

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, what else do you want to hear? We have the devs saying it won't be the end of GW2 and by that people kinda sorta somewhat agreed to understand that the devs mean development of GW2. So there will be some kind of live releases, maybe even another expac or two, who knows what time will bring. At the moment all we have is 1) the above statement and 2) what they actually put into the game and it doesn't look like packing up and switching to maintenance mode. So again, what exactly do you want to hear? "Jup dead game move on can i have your stuff?"?

Edited by lokh.2695
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Considering that the original Guild Wars game is still around, it's highly unlikely that Anet/NCsoft decide to pull the plug anytime soon. That said, it could mean pretty much anything from an end of narrative content development, a change of monetization strategy (more expensive & smaller DLCs), or just a different narrative direction for possible expansions after EoD.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont know how many times has it been said and even shown EoD is not the end of GW2. Not only we have developers themselves saying it is not, we also have Ruby saying there is more story planned afterwards and we also have long term updates like the DX11 update which if the game was to end any time soon they definitely wouldnt bother with anymore. Really you are just looking too much into things while ignoring actual confirmation from the devs.

End of an era literally is just another way of saying end of dragons, it essentially means end of the dragon era. 

Edited by Cipisek.2147
Typo
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you should consider opening these sort of threads in the Lore section next time. 

It was confirmed by the devs EoD is not going to be the end of GW2 so never underestimate the creativity of a writer, because in my opinion there is enough lore to be explored to make at least 3 more expansions.

If you want to know more about lore you can consider playing GW1 and reading the wiki.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Cipisek.2147 said:

I dont know how many times has it been said and even shown EoD is not the end of GW2. Not only we have developers themselves saying it is not, we also have Rubi saying there is more story planned afterwards and we also have long term updates like the DX11 update which if the game was to end any time soon they definitely wouldnt bother with anymore. Really you are just looking too much into things while ignoring actual confirmation from the devs.

End of an era literally is just another way of saying end of dragons, it essentially means end of the dragon era. 

While I share your opinion, I still want to point out that "developers" and "Ruby" in this case are basically the same corporate identity. "EoD will not be the end of GW2" is a talking point that was created probably months before first talks of an expac went public. Being a business I am pretty sure ANet knew that this would happen, should they call their next expac END of Dragons, people will want to talk about "will it be the end of GW2?" so I'm sure they prepared their staff on what to say and what to communicate. So two, three, twenty, hundred people, working for the same company saying one thing counts as one voice.

However, since it is the only voice we hae on this matter, we can either believe it or not, but we won't now.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Its the end of this story arc and ties up everything so far.

 

Whilst it possibly literally means no more Dragons, there is still the DSD out there who has barely even been hinted at for EoD plus all the hints at Dragon magi-tech.

 

Tyria looks to be heading to a new age and new stories, based on how we finally solve or replace the cycle the World has been tied to

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cipisek.2147 said:

I dont know how many times has it been said and even shown EoD is not the end of GW2. Not only we have developers themselves saying it is not, we also have Rubi saying there is more story planned afterwards and we also have long term updates like the DX11 update which if the game was to end any time soon they definitely wouldnt bother with anymore. Really you are just looking too much into things while ignoring actual confirmation from the devs.

End of an era literally is just another way of saying end of dragons, it essentially means end of the dragon era. 

I suspect the topic is going to keep coming up until we get the next expansion after EoD.

 

I was going to say when the next Living World storyline starts, but I'm fairly sure no matter what it's about that will be seen by some people as an epilogue to wrap up the story before it all ends.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

St. John Damascene said that serpents are just the venomous variety of snakes and dragons are the constrictors.

 

thus you can see typically that dragons have 4 limbs in common depiction and the snakes are depicted like water hoses.

  • Confused 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Zuldari.3940 said:

Interesting since the world is based around dragons right? 

The world is based around magical entities that absorb and release magic, behaving as filters. Not dragons, they just happen to fit the role as the  apex predator of Tyria. But even the Human Gods probably could've completed this cycle, if the dragons had been destroyed by some other means besides a direct confrontation.

 

Obviously dragons will be replaced, its the one rule of the universe you can't change: Time marches on.

Link to post
Share on other sites

As other has said EoD or the LW after will just be the end of the Elder Dragon Storyline and the beginning of a new storyline that no longer related to Elder Dragons.

It is a good thing in my opinion because it gives the developers room to not try to tie almost everything in with something GW1 or Elder Dragon related. This also opens up maybe more creative freedom into designing new regions and what type of civilizations beyond the regions we currently have only known about since GW1. 

The world of GW2 is massive and we still have around maybe 80% to 70% of the planet left to explore that has never been touched even during GW1.

Edited by EdwinLi.1284
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, EdwinLi.1284 said:

The world of GW2 is massive and we still have around maybe 80% to 70% of the planet left to explore that has never been touched even during GW1.

Probably closer to around 66%.

 

What people forget is that world maps are distorted since the world is a globe, and thus any map that is a square(like the world map we were given) is massively over distorted the closer you get to the poles. Most of the giant bulk of landmass to the north and south isn't anywhere near as big as it seems.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/18/2021 at 2:11 PM, Zuldari.3940 said:

So I logged in last night to try out the elites, popped up the Gemstore to see whats on, and I saw the EoD advertisement in the window. Nothing new there, but I then saw written below it,  end of an era.? What do they mean normally when you see end of an era it means the close of something great. Is EoD the final chapter in GW2?

ANET has repeatedly said it's not the end to the game, and their work to upgrade the game engine to DX11 is further proof of that. You would not undertake such an effort for a game you were no longer going to develop for.

 

Personally I welcome this end of an era. Dragons wore out their welcome years ago (in my opinion) and I look forward to seeing new, interesting stories in new parts of the world, or even existing parts, that have nothing to do with dragons. Considering how big the world is and how much of it we haven't seen, I don't believe the dragons are as big of a deal as they were made out to be. They were all clustered around a small portion of the supercontinent that is Tyria. Move beyond Tyria and hopefully we have some new ideas and stories.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Faridah.8431 said:

They were all clustered around a small portion of the supercontinent that is Tyria.

They really weren't though.

 

If you account for map distortion, which would place the arctic circle just north of Janthir, as seen in this YouTube video and map out the visible in-game map, as well as the halfway point of the Tyrian supercontient, the dragons were the big issue on half of the livable part of Tyrian supercontinent.

 

We know that Jormag woke up further north, and drove the northern species(the Kodan and arctic Quaggan) south in the process. Both of which were species that lived in the arctic oceans, and not on the land(as one would expect the arctic region of the landmass wouldn't have enough plant/animal life to support a developed species). Likewise we know the Charr's empire extends further east then the current in-game map, and humans have gone to the western coast of the Maguuma, and probably explored part of the eastern coast of Elona. So the "known" part of the Tyrian supercontient is about half of it.

 

You can see this all displayed out here

https://i.imgur.com/8KKjOAM.png

White lines = arctic and antarctic lines

Yellow = current visible in-game map

Blue = map size if expanded down to the southern part of the GW1 Cantha map

Black = continent dividing line

Edited by Sajuuk Khar.1509
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

 

You can see this all displayed out here

https://i.imgur.com/8KKjOAM.png

White lines = arctic and antarctic lines

Yellow = current visible in-game map

Blue = map size if expanded down to the southern part of the GW1 Cantha map

Black = continent dividing line

 

im dreaming.

 

https://i.imgur.com/hSmhtEz.jpg

Edited by ugrakarma.9416
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

I find it more likely that, after EoD, and the inevitably Canthan focused LWS6, we will go into the Mists before we go to other parts of the Tyrian world.

i hope someday they back to LS3 model, when we are "hoping" various maps differentes regions.

 

but the one im really curious is Janthir Isles.

Edited by ugrakarma.9416
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ugrakarma.9416 said:

i hope someday they back to LS3 model, when we are "hoping" various maps differentes regions.

 

but the one im really curious is Janthir Isles.

I could see them doing this for a hypothetical LWS7. Like, EoD and LWS6 covers Cantha, the end of the Dragon plot, and maybe an end to the god plot in LWS6. LWS7 gas go up around the world to close up the various dangling plot threads

  • Going north of the "Bandit Bridge" in Brisban Wildands, into the Maguuma Wastes, and finding Maylck's tree(this would be a retcon but meh)
  • Going into the Woodland Cascades, into the Centaur Homelands, to do the Centaur plot that got cut from IBS. Could have E show up here given his connection to Krytan politics, and ending the conflict with the Centaurs tying into that.
  • Having a release in Ascalon, in the region labeled "Bladeridge Mountains" just east of the Iron Marches. Picking up the Charr/Human story we get Madgier back from whatever smith Eir gave it to back in core, and help lead a combined delegation of Charr and Humans to Drascir. There we exploit the portal to the Mists there, and it being a place of power, to end the ghost problem of Ascalon once and for, finally resolving the last major thorn in true peace between Charr and humans.
  • Have a release down in Elona, in the western part of Kourna. At the end of LWS4 Zaeim said he was going to look for people to lead Elona. There we help them clean up the last of the Branded in Elona, and secure a new capitol for Elona over were Melonni's old village was.
  • Maybe a Wizard's tower raid
Edited by Sajuuk Khar.1509
Link to post
Share on other sites

I decided to stop by and see what people were saying after being gone for so long. I felt I had to comment on this, out of empathy.

 

It's important to remember that people can lie. I mean, I was emotionally invested in The Icebrood Saga. I had reason to be, it touched on neurodiversity, pluralism, and the trauma that comes from abuse and how desperate it can make someone. I was very interested in seeing a story told about that in a more mainstream piece of entertainment that might actually get that out there.

 

I asked them about this. They swore up and down that this wasn't just another black & white story about killing evil creatures, that they were doing something actually different this time around. Fool that I was, I believed them. That's on me, I know. The thing is is that lying isn't exactly an alien concept to MMO developers.

 

I have no doubt in my mind that End of Dragons is one, last push for profit before GW2 is placed into maintenance mode. Especially with some of the things I've heard coming out of NCSoft. You need to consider that NCSoft wouldn't be doing layoffs after layoffs if they didn't think of it that way. Bringing back Colin Johanson feels like the marketing push fo a last sigh. Just a way to make the last bit of money fromt his IP. It's a very NCSoft thing to do.

 

ArenaNet is beholden to NCSoft, basically chattel, owned by them. We've seen that time and again, NCSoft isn't afraid to behead ArenaNet's leadership if they disagree. That's what it's worth remembering, that it isn't ArenaNet pulling the strings here but NCSoft.

 

What do you think NCSoft wants out of this? Do you think that a continuation of Guild Wars 2 fits their bottom line?

 

Look, all I'm saying is... Don't set yourselves up for a huge disappointment. In my opinion, End of Dragons is the last content drop for GW2, after which it's going into maintenance mode. MMO fans always do this to themselves, they always... No, it's me too... We always defend them, delude ourselves, say everything's going to be okay.

 

You do you, but it's worth acknwoledging the possibility. There's just something about the wording of it and the way NCSoft has behaved up until now. I think this is it. So there you go, you can do you. But remember how many MMO projects have failed dedicated fans in the past.

 

WildStar et al, and who owned WildStar again? Oh yes...

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Hypnowulf.7403 said:

I decided to stop by and see what people were saying after being gone for so long. I felt I had to comment on this, out of empathy.

 

It's important to remember that people can lie. I mean, I was emotionally invested in The Icebrood Saga. I had reason to be, it touched on neurodiversity, pluralism, and the trauma that comes from abuse and how desperate it can make someone. I was very interested in seeing a story told about that in a more mainstream piece of entertainment that might actually get that out there.

 

I asked them about this. They swore up and down that this wasn't just another black & white story about killing evil creatures, that they were doing something actually different this time around. Fool that I was, I believed them. That's on me, I know. The thing is is that lying isn't exactly an alien concept to MMO developers.

 

I have no doubt in my mind that End of Dragons is one, last push for profit before GW2 is placed into maintenance mode. Especially with some of the things I've heard coming out of NCSoft. You need to consider that NCSoft wouldn't be doing layoffs after layoffs if they didn't think of it that way. Bringing back Colin Johanson feels like the marketing push fo a last sigh. Just a way to make the last bit of money fromt his IP. It's a very NCSoft thing to do.

 

ArenaNet is beholden to NCSoft, basically chattel, owned by them. We've seen that time and again, NCSoft isn't afraid to behead ArenaNet's leadership if they disagree. That's what it's worth remembering, that it isn't ArenaNet pulling the strings here but NCSoft.

 

What do you think NCSoft wants out of this? Do you think that a continuation of Guild Wars 2 fits their bottom line?

 

Look, all I'm saying is... Don't set yourselves up for a huge disappointment. In my opinion, End of Dragons is the last content drop for GW2, after which it's going into maintenance mode. MMO fans always do this to themselves, they always... No, it's me too... We always defend them, delude ourselves, say everything's going to be okay.

 

You do you, but it's worth acknwoledging the possibility. There's just something about the wording of it and the way NCSoft has behaved up until now. I think this is it. So there you go, you can do you. But remember how many MMO projects have failed dedicated fans in the past.

 

WildStar et al, and who owned WildStar again? Oh yes...

you really did not ever consider that Icebrood saga was going to be a rushed story to eliminate Jormag and maybe Primordus quickly without any full detailed philosophical plot? 

For me I never expect much about the Icebrood Saga and the reactions by a lot of the fans being greatly disappointed by the Icebrood Saga reveal showed a bit how many had low expectations for it. 

Only good story introduced, in my opinion, has always been during the expansion storylines since they are not limited to the restrictions of releasing within a set time period like living world story releases. Living story has been mostly for me a more extension to finish up any story left unfinished within the expansion which can lead to a lot of rushed plots if they did not plan a head how things will be handled. Certain areas of living story did not ended up rushed and ended just right but most of it, in my opinion, did. Icebrood Saga is just another story among the list of plots rushed by a living story way of releasing their story since Anet can't fit everything they wanted within the Living world story release set up.

 

Edited by EdwinLi.1284
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Hypnowulf.7403 said:

I have no doubt in my mind that End of Dragons is one, last push for profit before GW2 is placed into maintenance mode.

 

and this is exactly why now they invest alot of resources in engine and infrastructure to futureproof their game... oh wait.

 

Just in case you didn't get this one: updating game engine from DX9 to DX11 is that kind of investment that is not worth doing "just for marketing gig before going into maintenance mode". It is kind of work you do when you want to prepare your product for futher updates and development, for years to come.

 

PS. weren't you a guy that kept projecting yourself onto jormag, and then got mildly upset when both forum and later reddit told you that you are in fact self-projecting, and what you preceive as happening is not what story tells?

  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...