Dragon Story Missions are boring and tedious - [Merged] — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Living World

Dragon Story Missions are boring and tedious - [Merged]

Samnang.1879Samnang.1879 Member ✭✭✭✭
edited February 22, 2021 in Living World

Dragon Story Missions are boring and tedious, please give us something more interesting to do.

These missions are basically the same thing, just different sceneries... they are boring and tedious.

Anet: give us in-game customizable human NPC companion please
Please, no more balance changes, or at least reset our gears so we don't have to waste gold changing gears every time.
Please have option to not receive bloodstone dusts, empyreal fragments, dragonite etc

Comments

• Dawdler.8521Dawdler.8521 Member ✭✭✭✭

Well dungeons, raids and fractals are basicly the same thing too. I also find them boring, but they are only tedious if there are people not bringing PvE builds. Or a brain for that matter. 2 people with good dps will breeze through a DRM... I've seen 5 people take 3x the time to kill things.

gaggle - /ˈɡaɡ(ə)l/ - noun
    A disorderly group of Asura.
    "The gaggle of Asura tried to agree on whether a phase-shifted thermonuclear energy matrix was sufficiently powerful for a device capable of heating bread"

• Redfeather.6401Redfeather.6401 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 8, 2021

I think the game's longevity could benefit from new game systems that get players to re-experience existing zones in fun new ways.

Been away from guild wars 2 for a long while and been playing a lot of other games. One is elder scrolls online and they released a system where you get leads from older zones that help hone in on places to dig up artifacts to get all kinds of cool things. All of the zones are alive again from that new system. It was a really good decision.

BTW, I'm not saying they invented that system. Just sharing what I saw that really did wonders for making the world exciting again. If anyone from arenanet is curious it is described in eso wiki as antiquity system.

Click on your name up top. Click the little icon with the down arrow for preferences. Click Signature Settings to the right.

• Samnang.1879Samnang.1879 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 8, 2021

@Dawdler.8521 said:
    Well dungeons, raids and fractals are basicly the same thing too. I also find them boring, but they are only tedious if there are people not bringing PvE builds. Or a brain for that matter. 2 people with good dps will breeze through a DRM... I've seen 5 people take 3x the time to kill things.

They are boring too :# They are replayable because they give good rewards so I can play fashion wars :# As for raids, I raid mainly to feel a sense of community :# Not because I actually enjoy the content.

It's a breeze for sure, but it's annoying, long, tedious and unrewarding.

I don't find Strike Missions annoying for example, because we go str8 to the boss.

The DRM's on the other hand, we have to clear easy mobs that take FOREVERrrrrrrrrrrrr

@Redfeather.6401 said:
    I think the game's longevity could benefit from new game systems that get players to re-experience existing zones in fun new ways.

Been away from guild wars 2 for a long while and been playing a lot of other games. One is elder scrolls online and they released a system where you get leads from older zones that help hone in on places to dig up artifacts to get all kinds of cool things. All of the zones are alive again from that new system. It was a really good decision.

BTW, I'm not saying they invented that system. Just sharing what I saw that really did wonders for making the world exciting again. If anyone from arenanet is curious it is described in eso wiki as antiquity system.

Exactly.

I don't mind going back to old zones, I mean some zones are beautiful, I don't understand why it's abandoned just to make new maps that have the exact same events, same useless NPC fights............... I mean....

Put something new, be innovative, it's not that hard :# Doing group events where we just press 1 1111111 and then finish... is so tedious and boring.

Why do people find HoT metas fun???? it's because of all the mechanics involved... we don't want to play a game where we just press 1111111111111.

Anet: give us in-game customizable human NPC companion please
    Please, no more balance changes, or at least reset our gears so we don't have to waste gold changing gears every time.
    Please have option to not receive bloodstone dusts, empyreal fragments, dragonite etc

• Blocki.4931Blocki.4931 Member ✭✭✭✭

Honestly they are okay. They are not long enough to be annoying IMO and optimizing the pre-event is kinda fun. Just annoying when you have to wait for NPCs, especially if they decide to attack this one random destroyer that was not even near them.

Pls just permaban me by now so I can stop going back here

• Tyson.5160Tyson.5160 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Blocki.4931 said:
    Honestly they are okay. They are not long enough to be annoying IMO and optimizing the pre-event is kinda fun. Just annoying when you have to wait for NPCs, especially if they decide to attack this one random destroyer that was not even near them.

I’m going to wait to see how the DRMs play out in their entirety as well as a full mastery and judge the whole DRM as a whole.

• Of course it is boring DRM and final episode is just placeholder (aka minimum effort) to keep us in game before they go with End of Dragon.

• Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭

And no start of a new event week today. Hmph. Even less motivated to do them.

• Mungo Zen.9364Mungo Zen.9364 Member ✭✭✭

@Ashantara.8731 said:

If you have done them once, then they are done, and no more doing is required :-)

Best, worst content ever!

• Mini Crinny.6190Mini Crinny.6190 Member ✭✭✭✭

Agreeeed lol, i just did the story real quick and logged to play some FFXIV :D

• Firebeard.1746Firebeard.1746 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 10, 2021

I actually liked the story part of them and the banter and lore i learn in the process. ASide from the CMs I actually like the boss fights, I agree with the assesment that there's not a lot of diversity in format and that can wear on them. I'd give them an 70-80/100. Also if some of the longer ones were 5-10 mins shorter the pacing would be way better.

I also don't feel like they compete well with other types of gameplay in terms of rewards and this community has a penchant for efficiency.

Also the quality of DRMs would be much higher if people could rejoin after mission start. Then I could start a DRM, doing the morale events while in LFG and collect people along the way. This works with forging steel, not sure why they took this direction.

• LucianDK.8615LucianDK.8615 Member ✭✭✭✭

DRMs are truly terrible compared to dungeons. So uninspired.

• SexyMofo.8923SexyMofo.8923 Member ✭✭✭

Yes. They are boring.

• Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Ashantara.8731 said:

The new faction begins Tuesday 16th as per the original release page

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/january-19-2021/

What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

• Oxstar.7643Oxstar.7643 Member ✭✭✭

@Dawdler.8521 said:

Dungeons were optional story content, not mandatory. DST should have been the same, with time spent on expanding the story more.

edited February 15, 2021

@Oxstar.7643 said:

@Dawdler.8521 said:

Dungeons were optional story content, not mandatory. DST should have been the same, with time spent on expanding the story more.

Well DRMs are optional too - you dont have to do the LS.

But considering it takes like 10-20m to solo a DRM, its not like its time consuming.

If you want even more optional, there is the strike missions. I havent done a single of them. Or raids for that matter. Or fractals. Its all optional.

"The gaggle of Asura tried to agree on whether a phase-shifted thermonuclear energy matrix was sufficiently powerful for a device capable of heating bread"

You can't say optional about the storyline in the same way that you can say optional about dungeons that doesn't in any way interfere with the story.

@Oxstar.7643 said:
    You can't say optional about the storyline in the same way that you can say optional about dungeons that doesn't in any way interfere with the story.

Yet the entire storyline is still optional no matter how much you want to compare dungeons to DRMs.

Stop. You are very well aware that what I'm saying is that dungeons are not required to progress the story. The repetetive missons should also not be.

• DoctorOverlord.8620DoctorOverlord.8620 Member ✭✭
    edited February 16, 2021

@Firebeard.1746 said:
    Also if some of the longer ones were 5-10 mins shorter the pacing would be way better.

Or as much as 50% shorter (or more) :)

The reason I say this is the point to the story missions should be to present the story in the most dramatic and entertaining manner possible. It has been pointed out that players don't do story mission for the loot, they want to see the lore and story.

Nothing kills a good story when watching a movie worse than drawn-out, tedious scenes, and nothing kills a good story in an RPG than drawn-out, tedious timesinks, whether they are too many waves of enemies, too many steps in a puzzle, or boss fights deliberately designed to drag on and on. I have no problem with timesinks in other content like Dungeons, Fractals, Guild Missions etc. I get the reason for having timesinks in MMOs, but they absolutely ruin good storytelling, and GW2's story is good enough that it deserves to be told well.

@Dawdler.8521 said:
    Yet the entire storyline is still optional no matter how much you want to compare dungeons to DRMs.

I would argue the story not optional if you look at it from the point of building a strong community around a game. An MMO can have a wide range of players from hardcore raiders to light casuals to RPGers. The one element that can unite all these players and bring them together as a community is the setting and the lore. Any GW2 fan should be able to talk to another GW2 fan about Tyria. That means understanding the history, races and regions, it means knowing the differences between the Legions of the char or why you never make a Snaff joke around an asura.

The story is what accomplishes this. The story allows a diverse range of players with widely different play-styles to find common ground so they can share and connect with each other. And that means the story should be accessible to everyone from Legendary harpoon gun-owning, basement-dwelling tryhards to the most casual of gems-to-gold buying, filthy casuals.

The story to an RPG, whether single-player or massively online, is not optional. It's an important foundation of the fan community.

• Ayrilana.1396Ayrilana.1396 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 16, 2021

It'll be more tedious if you're going for the two new weapon sets. You'll need 1,664 prismaticite crystals to craft all of the weapons. If you do the daily three DRMs for the daily achievement, it'll take you about 151 days to acquire those unless you do more than three a day and/or mix in CMs which I believe drop more. Or you can spend around 1,760 gold and buy them off the TP although I don’t believe there are that many listed and the price would certainly go up.

Better get farming.

Edit: The new mastery tier doubles the crystal drop assuming you have the opposite dragon's buff.

edited February 16, 2021

@DoctorOverlord.8620 said:
    I would argue the story not optional if you look at it from the point of building a strong community around a game. An MMO can have a wide range of players from hardcore raiders to light casuals to RPGers. The one element that can unite all these players and bring them together as a community is the setting and the lore. Any GW2 fan should be able to talk to another GW2 fan about Tyria. That means understanding the history, races and regions, it means knowing the differences between the Legions of the char or why you never make a Snaff joke around an asura.

You can argue that but it is still optional. Of course I would also say that you should do it if you like playing GW2, its a given. But no one is forcing the LS on people. Dont people start the LS to... kind of complete it? Whether it contain a DRM, a dungeon, or whatever is irrelevant. This argument that its not optional would be the same as saying raids arent optional. Dont they do exactly what you say?

The story is what accomplishes this. The story allows a diverse range of players with widely different play-styles to find common ground so they can share and connect with each other. And that means the story should be accessible to everyone from Legendary harpoon gun-owning, basement-dwelling tryhards to the most casual of gems-to-gold buying, filthy casuals.

Exactly. Like it is now.

• Fleabite.7528Fleabite.7528 Member ✭✭✭
    @Ayrilana.1396 said:

The new mastery tier doubles the crystal drop assuming you have the opposite dragon's buff.

Even doubling the drop, who in their right minds would spend 75 days grinding this tedium.

I ALREADY HAVE A BORING DAY JOB ANET!!

• DoctorOverlord.8620DoctorOverlord.8620 Member ✭✭
    edited February 17, 2021

@Dawdler.8521 said:

You can argue that but it is still optional. Of course I would also say that you should do it if you like playing GW2, its a given. But no one is forcing the LS on people. Dont people start the LS to... kind of complete it? Whether it contain a DRM, a dungeon, or whatever is irrelevant.

I think we're talking about different things. You're talking about gameplay while I'm talking more about essential foundations for the game that should be shared among the community.

I'm just saying there are some elements to any MMO that are basic parts of the experience. Character creation and customization. Combat. Exploration. And I would rank Story as essential as any of these, but that's just my opinion. I suppose there are those who don't care about the story and ignore all dialog and lore, just like there might be people who play RPGs like Mass Effect and ignore the dialog choices and just want to grind to the boss fights. You can certainly play RPGs that way, but it would be like playing GW2 to only to farm nodes and sell mats on the TP to see how much gold you can gather (Which you could do and even eventually reach max level weirdly enough). To each their own....

This argument that its not optional would be the same as saying raids arent optional. Dont they do exactly what you say?

Raids don't really tell the story. They give (sometimes important) pieces of background lore, but they won't explain why undead are running around Orr or why Lake Doric is a mess. To share and understand the background and lore that is familiar to the GW2 community, you need to do the LS.

• Will.9785Will.9785 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2021

I just did the Brisban Wildlands DRM with all of the CMs enabled 3 times. I did Snowden Drifts yesterday and Gendarran Fields the day before that.

The Snowden Drifts time limit by the way is too short. By the time you get the kodan down the path there are only like 6 minutes left.

That point aside, every day that I've done them, I've just felt exhausted.

Maybe it is just me but I've played though all of the content this game has to offer from Shattered Observatory CM, to Dhum CM, etc and I have never felt so wiped out as I do from playing these and its not even close. They are very tedious and very taxing on you physically. You are constantly dodging or breaking cc or ripping boons or running or jumping while trying to maintain a proper rotation to clear the content within the time limits. Its a bit much.

Why they decided to make you repeat the CMs 5 times is beyond me. I've tried grouping up but its virtually impossible to find competent people in LFG. I've had better luck clearing them solo so far... but man do they wipe me out.

I can think of a million other things I'd rather be doing in the game than playing these but they force you to grind these for the achievements and usually if you want to craft the legendary trinket at the end of a season you will need to do most of the achievements so that's the only reason I'm doing them.

Am I the only person who feels this way about these missions? I hope this isn't a sign of the sort of gameplay we can expect in EOD.

I'm on condi renegade in case folks are wondering.

• rrusse.7058rrusse.7058 Member ✭✭✭

I've said in other threads that DRMs would likely serve a better purpose if they worked as sort of mini-story steps in between big episodes.

Imagine if in between episodes 'A Shadow in the Ice' and 'No Quarter' there was a mini-story mission like a DRM that helped set up the growing threat the Dominion posed to the United Legions? It would have a new daily and players could gather 'Dominion Cat-Tags' as a currency. They could trade those in to the United Legions as proof of their efforts to buy new Charr themed weapon and armor skins just like the ones we got with 'Visions of the Past' update.

That way the slow grindy nature of the missions is more palatable to the playerbase since it's not a true episode anyway, writers have a little more wiggle room and devs hopfully have more breathing room to make and add content to maintain player interest and retention.

Zommoros giveth and Zommoros taketh away.

• Zephire.8049Zephire.8049 Member ✭✭✭

I suspect what happened was that because EoD was decided/announced while IBS wasn't halfway through yet, DRMs mark the point devs were pulled from what was planned with IBS to work on EoD with a small team finishing up IBS (and having the narrative team re-write the second half of IBS...). Since DRMs are so simple and there's no new maps, only dialogue, and there hasn't been any cinematics or custom animation, it's really easy for a small team to make and push out.

That said, it is really boring and grindy and I can't see myself doing DRMs in the future. I think it should have maxed out at 3 for the number of times you have to repeat each one since while that would have been annoying, putting it at 5 means burning out on them. Especially since outside of Snowden, none of them are particularly hard so it really is just grind, not challenge.

Hopefully if my suspicion is correct, that means EoD should be far better. That's what I'm banking on anyway (and I don't blame a small dev team resorting to grind because management hasn't given them the time/resources to put enough content in that doesn't need grind to pad it out) but I've talked to more than a few people who refuse to play GW2 again until EoD because they've heard of how grindy the current story is.

edited February 18, 2021

@DoctorOverlord.8620 said:
    I think we're talking about different things. You're talking about gameplay while I'm talking more about essential foundations for the game that should be shared among the community.

But thats exactly what I mean! We can do a simple sanity check on it:

If I say that WvW and sPvP is not optional, would you take me seriously?
    If you say no, then dont expect me to take you seriously when you say PvE is not optional.
    If you say yes, well then we are in agreement that WvW and sPvP are essential foundations for the game.

But then again in practice, isnt those parts still... optional?

• Luthan.5236Luthan.5236 Member ✭✭✭✭

I'm not yet at the point with the DRMs. (Playing in order of release and still at season 4.) Can someone tell me: How long does it take to complete one DRM? Does it take a lot longer than a fractals?

And how often do you need to do them for permanent achievments? (Excluding maybe grindy weapon collections which I tend to ignore. Example for these collections: The weapons in Drytop and the ones from Istan.)

If it were only for grindy collections it would not be that bad. (Can just skip it and do it later a little bit every now and then.) My guess is: They are using it as easy option to fill the time until the next releases ... while most of the staff is doing other things. (Working on next expansion.)

Once the expansion is released the full staff again can work at the further living world seasons. (And maybe different content.)

• Manasa Devi.7958Manasa Devi.7958 Member ✭✭✭✭

This entire game is optional, and opting in seems less and less like a good choice.

edited February 18, 2021

1 DRM with all 3 CMs turned on takes about 15-20 minutes to finish. This includes the 4-5 minutes spent during the "pre" events at the start.

They take much longer than fractals.

I've cleared fractal 99 CM in just slightly more time than it takes to do the pre-event for these DRMs, to put things in perspective.

• Once again its like people are just left to their own devices and there's no management calling the shots. Advertising is all about "selling it" and they just aren't doing it justice. You can "sell" a grind of weapon skins or even Dragon response missions if you really wanted to and I don't know why they don't want to. Create more content videos about each DRM, a lore story written up, maybe even an announcement that DEVS will be joining DRMS to help out!....literally something and/or anything. WHY do we need these new weapons? Somebody tell us WHY. Make us care...

• We are going on several months of the allies still dying quickly in the DRMs (the allies that are supposed to help you and the entire point of this marshaling event) and nobody is doing anything about it which really tells you everything you need to know.

• Fueki.4753Fueki.4753 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2021

To me, DRMs are far more mentally exhausting than they are physically.
    And I'm only doing 3 of them daily doing the community events.

I'm not even going to bother with CMs or grinding the weapon collections.
    The CM achievements really should have been limited to one time instead of five and the CM Mastery Points should have been tied to that.

• Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭

I'm pretending the CMs don't exist. That way I can't be tempted to grind

What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

• Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2021

The Drizzlewood meta (the southern part in particular) is way more exhausting (with all the jumping across the map and the treasure spawns at the end^) than any of the DRMs, which are just tedious if anything from having to repeat them daily if you want to do all the collections.

P.S. CM = Challenge Mode = you are being challenged, hence the time limits and mechanics are fine.

^) before it was updated at least

• Manasa Devi.7958Manasa Devi.7958 Member ✭✭✭✭

Ironically, the requirement of 5 CM completions for the achievements has me playing less instead of more. I've only done 2 CM completions, 1 each for 2 different missions. I'd have gladly done the others as well, but upon finding out I needed 5 completions per mission, there's no point. I'm never going to do all of them 5 times, and doing each of them just once is useless.

@Ashantara.8731 said:
    The Drizzlewood meta (the southern part in particular) is way more exhausting (with all the jumping across the map and the treasure spawns at the end^) than any of the DRMs, which are just tedious if anything from having to repeat them daily if you want to do all the collections.

P.S. CM = Challenge Mode = you are being challenged, hence the time limits and mechanics are fine.

^) before it was updated at least

You know, come to think of it Drizzlewood was pretty exhausting as well... especially when the north meta first arrived. Good point.

• Don’t get in the mindset of having to grind them. I started out trying to train through and do all drms and cms in one sitting and realized that is exhausting. I stopped that and just do a DRM cm just by doing one or two of dailies, and moved on. Some I soloed, some I grouped. I have done the first four achievements leaving the last 3 where I have done 1 or 2. I just finished where I had enough for the stretch emote. No sweat, no grinding.

• I tried the first one when it came out. Didn't like it and haven't been back to any of them. People still play these?

• Ra Ra.9423Ra Ra.9423 Member ✭✭✭

I quite like them. However, I think what makes them 'boring' is farming them over and over to get the exorbitant amount of Prismaticite necessary to craft the weapons. (for those that are doing so). I think it's a good thing to have some repeatable content that can be used over the years, and by new players when they get there. I could see future events for DRM's as a bonus thing periodically - like the Boss Rush.

Admitted Alt-aholic
    Darkhaven, Asuran Gaters[ZPM]

• @HotDelirium.7984 said:
    Once again its like people are just left to their own devices and there's no management calling the shots. Advertising is all about "selling it" and they just aren't doing it justice. You can "sell" a grind of weapon skins or even Dragon response missions if you really wanted to and I don't know why they don't want to. Create more content videos about each DRM, a lore story written up, maybe even an announcement that DEVS will be joining DRMS to help out!....literally something and/or anything. WHY do we need these new weapons? Somebody tell us WHY. Make us care...

I imagine people would be more interested if more effort were put into the content. You can "sell it" all you want, but it doesn't change the fact that recycling old maps into a handful of story-ish instances and expecting us to repeat them over and over doesn't even come close to the expectation set by previous story releases.

We all know why it's happening, but I don't blame them for not trying to sell this. It would almost be insulting.

• Cuks.8241Cuks.8241 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2021

It's just low quality. Much lower than fractals and also many story missions. They are like generic world events. You do those once and move on. Not content you would want to repeat often.
    I like the idea of story missions that can be played by up to 5 players with challenge motes. Many players were asking for this after Hearts and minds. But make quality missions with the story, interesting mechanics and diverse fights.
    Look at Forging Steel. It has long pre-events, it's long in general. It's essentially just a long escort mission with a boss. But it's quality and interesting and I repeat it often. I know what's it about and I don't usually follow story much. I hardly distinguish the first 3 DRMs from each other and did play them enough to get all the CM achivs.

edited February 19, 2021

I just wish they had made them a bit less tedious since release, but nothing happened.
    Their HP is still too big of a sponge.
    Their CC spam still is to much.
    Their AoE spam still is too much.
    They still throw around too many conditions.
    The bosses have no interesting mechanics.

Arenanet needs to stop doubling down on the things that make encounters bad.

@Wolfhound.4381 said:
    I tried the first one when it came out. Didn't like it and haven't been back to any of them. People still play these?

Yes, people still do them.

• It is more the old PiTA MMORPG trope of trash mobs that serve no purpose but to delay the key encounters.

• Atomos.7593Atomos.7593 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited 5:44AM

Sadly DRMs have affirmed that instanced content in GW2 is not for me. I have found them so boring that I don't think I will ever give any type of instances a go again in this game, despite having enjoyed instances and dungeons in other MMOs.

I am struggling to even complete them all once to get the Champions story chapter done - not because they are difficult, but because they feel like such a mindless slog. The one in Thunderhead Keep is just urgh.

If one of the intentions of DRMs was to get players to play more instanced content, they have certainly failed for me. I think I'll just stick to the open world for PvE.

Edit: What's particularly concerning is that great and extensive feedback has been provided on how DRMs could easily be improved. However, from what I can see, very little has changed.

edited 6:18AM

@Atomos.7593 said:
    What's particularly concerning is that great and extensive feedback has been provided on how DRMs could easily be improved. However, from what I can see, very little has changed.

I feel like all ten of them had already been developed before Chapter 1 even hit the game and Arenanet is just staggering their release to give an illusion of content release.
    At such a point, any feedback would be too late to implement.
    That aside, changing things according to community feedback happens rarely in this game anyway.

• Atomos.7593Atomos.7593 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Fueki.4753 said:

@Atomos.7593 said:
    What's particularly concerning is that great and extensive feedback has been provided on how DRMs could easily be improved. However, from what I can see, very little has changed.

I feel like all ten of them had already been developed before Chapter 1 even hit the game and Arenanet is just staggering their release to give an illusion of content release.
    At such a point, any feedback would be too late to implement.
    That aside, changing things according to community feedback happens rarely in this game anyway.

Yeah, I was thinking that Anet may be putting the vast majority of development resources into the new expansion and would rather not spend too many resources on the content beforehand anymore. If that's actually the case I won't mind too much if the expansion turns out to be quite good.

In the meantime I guess I can keep myself occupied mostly with other PvE content.

Having played WvW for many years, it was clear that the devs rarely changed things from feedback, at least for that part of the game. I just wasn't expecting this to become the case in PvE too, perhaps a bit naively.