I don't get why people are liking the requiem armors so much

The new armors are nice. The glow effects certainly make them stand out compared to many others. The heavy version is probably the best, though that is just my opinion.However...if you take a second glance you will see that the basic design, the way they look without all the flashy effects isn't that impressive. In fact, I'd argue the appearance of the chests and leggings is a bit lacklustre. Medium set in particular.

And since I don't find these sets THAT good looking, certainly not enough to justify all the hype, I wonder why everyone is out to get them. Yes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder yet those armors are rather...average?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And since I don't find these sets THAT good looking, certainly not enough to justify all the hype, I wonder why everyone is out to get them. Yes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder yet those armors are rather...average?Which is it? If you believe that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, then you must allow for the possibility likelihood that someone else does not think the skins are average.

@"EpicName.4523" said:The new armors are nice. The glow effects certainly make them stand out compared to many others. The heavy version is probably the best, though that is just my opinion.However...if you take a second glance you will see that the basic design, the way they look without all the flashy effects isn't that impressive. In fact, I'd argue the appearance of the chests and leggings is a bit lacklustre. Medium set in particular.

For any particular skin/skin set you love, probably 20% hate it, 50% think, "meh." For any skins you hate, 20% probably love it, and 50% think, "meh."

Personally, my rule of thumb is that I hope to be able to use 1 skin in 10. (Not love, not like... just not dislike enough to never want to touch it.) There are around 50 BL weapon skin sets, so the fact that I actually really like more than 5 is amazing to me. Armors are largely more complex (at least, in GW2), so I'd expect a smaller fraction of them to meet my incredibly low bar... and ANet's largely done worse (for me) than 1:10.

In particular, I never spent paid for gem shop skins. And largely, I've unlocked in-game armor skins for the AP (or just because I like checking off achievements) more so than the skins. Although, to be fair, I find myself using more of the skins since PoF. (I don't love them; they just meet my minimum standard.)

IMO is because they are different. They can look boring or lackluster to you... but for many people most GW2 armor looks over-adorned and tacky, and these ones are a relief.The mere fact that the Light one doesn't have a "Buttcap" makes it extraordinary. The medium one could be better, but it still stands out because it is not trenchcoat-like.

Were excess is the norm, sobriety (even this super shiny one) becomes special.

I got the impression a lot of people like them because they're not especially fancy or ornate. Some people complain that most of the skins we get are too over the top, too detailed, too big, too flashy etc. so they're happy when there's a new alternative.

Other than that I think it's mainly specific pieces people like - it's the second set ever with trousers for light armoured female characters and one of only a few where the male medium armour doesn't have a long coat.

@EpicName.4523 said:I wonder why everyone is out to get them.It's the flashy effects.

@"Ardid.7203" said:The medium one could be better, but it still stands out because it is not trenchcoat-like.It is, it's just a relatively short one. To this day the Glorious Brigandine is the only piece of medium chestwear that's not "trenchcoat-like".

I have not started on Requiem yet, but I can say I like them (well, chests/legs, the rest of the bits especially shoulders and gloves are meh for me) for a few reasons:They seem to add a little bit more in dye options and detail over the Elegy armor.They don't distort the Elegy armor; they stay in the same outlines and non-buttcape shapes.Most importantly, they offer an in-game way to gain new looks, with an associated journey of sorts causing more game play.

@"EpicName.4523" said:The new armors are nice. The glow effects certainly make them stand out compared to many others. The heavy version is probably the best, though that is just my opinion.However...if you take a second glance you will see that the basic design, the way they look without all the flashy effects isn't that impressive. In fact, I'd argue the appearance of the chests and leggings is a bit lacklustre. Medium set in particular.

And since I don't find these sets THAT good looking, certainly not enough to justify all the hype, I wonder why everyone is out to get them. Yes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder yet those armors are rather...average?

I quite like quite a few of the peices of the (non glowy) elegy set. They are tasteful, not overdone and give quite a few options. The dye channels are well done for the most part and they look every bit as great as a few of the gemstore "standards".I'm thrilled with them and very happy they were gained with a reasonable, fun, and story driven piece of content.

Anet scored a lot of points with me for the latest release. The "lacklustre" "basic design" you refer to was a really a treat for me.

Because believe it or not, not everyone wants to walk around looking like a flying disco ball.

It is a simple, but sleek looking set, which is attractive for a lot of people. I even use the Elegy pieces more than the Requiem because again, keep it simple, stupid.

The art team at Anet seem to suffer from "Square Enix Syndrome", where they literally over-complicate every part of an armor piece to the point where it just looks tacky/janky/bad. I actually hate most of the armors/outfits in this game for this sole reason. Same goes for the legendary weapons, especially that god awful legendary staff/longbow idk why anyone would un-ironically equip that trash.

Anet desperately needs to add more simple/sleek/clean (and also shiny/glossy) designs for armors because there is a severe scarcity of this type of gear in the game.They need to head over to the Aion department and start taking notes because that game has plenty of seriously beautiful, elegant, AND complex armor designs they could pull inspiration from.

@Tails.9372 said:

@EpicName.4523 said:I wonder why everyone is out to get them.It's the flashy effects.

@"Ardid.7203" said:The medium one could be better, but it still stands out because
it is not trenchcoat-like
.It is, it's just a relatively short one. To this day the Glorious Brigandine is the only piece of medium chestwear that's not "trenchcoat-like".

Except it's not a trenchcoat, or even 'trenchcoat-like.'

It's new. It's shiny. It's something else to work towards. And it's surpassingly rare for ANet to add more armor skins obtainable ingame instead of outfits that will make them money (more directly...)

Honestly i would still be trying to get it even if i knew i would hate it and that it would never work well with anything. completionism is a powerful force.

Personally, I prefer armour pieces that aren't flashy or overly tacky - too much detail puts me off, and too many sparkles throws off my ability to jump or play correctly since my eyes are always centered on my character rather than whatever I'm supposed to be attacking. Plus, to me, normal leather or cloth armour usually looks 10x better than edgelord spikes, metal skulls or fairy lights.

Although I can't find much of a use for the medium or heavy armours, I like the new (non-shinie) light armour - it looks like something someone in the setting would wear if they didn't want to get their head blown off by a forged sniper or accidentially impale nearby allies.

It seems people are confusing 2 different armor sets. The Requiem armor, that the OP mentioned, is indeed glowy and sparkly. Very much so. And it is certainly not free, or even cheap. They also have a distinct lack of a butt cape or trench coat that many players have strongly desired. A nice looking (by many peoples standards) set of very flashy armor.

On the other hand, the Elegy armor (the prerequisite for the Requiem armor) is pretty cheap for the first set, but does cost a bit to craft the second and third set, if so desired. The Elegy set is basically a toned down version of the Requiem armor without the glowy and flashy bits and again with a lack of butt cape or trench coat. A nice looking (by many peoples standards) set of fairly simple armor.

So, between the 2 sets released, they appeal to a wide crowd of people. People who like flashy and people who like a more simple look. That is the reason these armors are so highly desired by so many people.

@Diak Atoli.2085 said:

@"Tails.9372" said:

The medium one could be better, but it still stands out because
it is not trenchcoat-like
.It is, it's just a relatively short one. To this day the Glorious Brigandine is the only piece of medium chestwear that's not "trenchcoat-like".

Except it's not a trenchcoat, or even 'trenchcoat-like.'Sure it is, where do you think the belt is? Like I said it's not as long as the others (still you can barely see the leg piece and it's noticeably longer than the chest pieces worn by medium and heavy) but it's still a pseudo-trench coat.

Archived