Remember the The Wayfarer's Henge?

It has come to my attention that a lot of people are angry over the fact the Skyscale collections are timegated.Personally I'm not in the same boat as I only finished the medicine collection so far.But I still don't understand the rage here, I get it you want your new mount as quickly as possible, however I see no reason to be so angry.With that in mind I would like to remind you about The Wayfarer's Henge it's an ascended back item from LW3 E5, which you earned by also completing a time gate collection chain.It is very annoying as you need at least 16 days to complete the whole chain. Not only that but each of these 16 days you need to complete all 5 heart quests in Draconis Mons.Now that is unreasonable, because it's just a back item and we already had plenty of those before and we keep getting new ones. So the only reason to acquire it is for the unique skin it provides.However the Skyscale is a new mount and as with all mounts in GW2 it functions in it's own way, so it's unique. So it's not something we can find an alternative for with a different look.It's not a skin, it's a completely new feature, meaning it's alright to require some effort to acquire, even if part of that effort is patience.The real reason why everyone is so angry is because they can't wait to get it. Like what do you actually expect will happen once you do? You will just fly around on it for a few hours and get bored of it soon after. And maybe you'll get the chance to brag for a month or two to those that don't have it yet.So everyone just chill, I know you are hyped to fly it around LA, but really it's not worth your nerves, the hype will drop very soon as it did with other mounts and stuff the game has to offer.

Yeah, that was awful when it came out and it dawned on people how long it would take.

However, I think it's not that people are impatient but that they expected that it wouldn't take nearly as long, leaving many disappointed and disgruntled. Not once was it ever mentioned how long and drawn out the collection(s) would be.

Wayfarer's took time, but it did not block some mastery, nor was it annoyingly long. You didn't have to do hours over hours on a bazillion of collections with horrifically bad hints.

The beetle was really bad. This one is worse. Whose idea was that? And why did nobody stop for a second saying 'do you remember how much people hated the beetle collection and the map afterwards?'

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:Wayfarer's took time, but it did not block some mastery, nor was it annoyingly long. You didn't have to do hours over hours on a bazillion of collections with horrifically bad hints.

The beetle was really bad. This one is worse. Whose idea was that? And why did nobody stop for a second saying 'do you remember how much people hated the beetle collection and the map afterwards?'

The beetle one wasn't nearly as bad as people make it sound. It was simply many events being fairly obscure and/or bugged that caused any issues. On it's own it was largely inoffensive and simply brought you around the world for a bit.

@Witch of Doom.5739 said:I think I expected -- I don't claim to speak for everyone or even most players -- the collection to be similar to that of the last PvE mount we could acquire, the Roller Beetle. Now I understand why the team wouldn't tell us about the acquisition requirements of the Skyscale.

Agreed. I think they also saw feedback about legendary stories and thought this was their chance to do more of that.What they failed to understand is;

• those stories are not what everyone likes (I love them, but most have no real interest probably about little stories)
  • legendaries are niche appeal, the mount is universal appeal
  • the mount was prob the biggest selling point of the episode and it is understandable players would want to get it as soon as possible and get playing with it and customise it with skins and masteries as soon as available.

Of course they likely just wanted the positive login metrics regardless of any longer term resentment.

As I have said before, they need to understand and interpret community feedback better. Whether through improved engagement or setting more time aside to look at what players are saying. That would help greatly with anticipating and minimising potential problems (impossible to completely avoid given the size and breadth of the community)

Then they shouldn't have hyped it up like it would be available on the patch day. Cause it wasn't. And the only other PvE mount acquired from Living World didn't have a huge gate like this, which is what many of us assumed this would be like: a few collections where you run around and do things and done. Also, haven't done the Henge backpack but I'm under the impression the only time gated thing...is the doing the hearts every day. Doing a few hearts once a day until you have enough runestone things doesn't suck up a ton of your time on any particular day. And you don't have to wait for reset for anything else to my knowledge. The Iggy collections in Sandswept are similar and I don't have a problem with that.

Well you can only do hearts once a day and they reset at reset so...the same? And since I didn't bother doing it right away when I found I needed it for Aurora it was a downer but eh. Memories. It certainly made me far more familiar with Draconis Mons.

Well the back item from sandswept isles was also time gated but that collection felt more natural with its time gating. With skyscale I don't feel its natural. You miss 1 little detail like talking to Gorrik (coz it doesn't pop in collection of search all eggs) and you're busted for a whole day... At that backitem collection you also needed to talk to some npc but at least they mentioned it at ending the step, and not in the big chain of collections in collections. And that one also gave you an exotic backpack each time you completed a part. I don't intend to rush skyscale but it is a too abrupt time gate. As for Wayfarers, at least you would do the daily hearts to get the map currency already so it doesn't feel like a time gate so much. It is just something you would do already for x days in a row. I also have no problem with "easy enough obtainable" timegated crafted items. I didn't find Mawdrey's timegate annoying. But skyscale is timegate in timegate...

Henge: 19 days of at least an hours worth of content every day with new lore tidbits here and there.

Skyscale: 2 days worth of content with new lore tidbits here and there, then 4 days worth of pressing skill 3 a total of 3 times if you have the quartz or 22 days worth of gated wait time to craft daily cooldowns.

They're really not comparable beyond a point. If Gorrick told me new things about the skyscale every day as I fed it, this would be substantially more interesting, but all that asura does is show my my achievement progress.

@Rikimaru.7890 said:With that in mind I would like to remind you about The Wayfarer's Henge

A back item that you don't really need, as you already have plenty with the same stat options, is not the same as waiting to unlock something with Masteries, especially if that something is a new mount that works differently from any other mount we already have in the game.

This is definitely a lot like The Wayfarer's Henge. It goes a bit beyond that even on tier with Aurora. Maybe the devs felt like they wanted more people to utilize the time it takes to make such an ambitious collection. Perhaps each collection should have awarded something special other than AP.

@Rikimaru.7890 said:It has come to my attention that a lot of people are angry over the fact the Skyscale collections are timegated.Personally I'm not in the same boat as I only finished the medicine collection so far.But I still don't understand the rage here, I get it you want your new mount as quickly as possible, however I see no reason to be so angry.With that in mind I would like to remind you about The Wayfarer's Henge it's an ascended back item from LW3 E5, which you earned by also completing a time gate collection chain.It is very annoying as you need at least 16 days to complete the whole chain. Not only that but each of these 16 days you need to complete all 5 heart quests in Draconis Mons.Now that is unreasonable, because it's just a back item and we already had plenty of those before and we keep getting new ones. So the only reason to acquire it is for the unique skin it provides.However the Skyscale is a new mount and as with all mounts in GW2 it functions in it's own way, so it's unique. So it's not something we can find an alternative for with a different look.It's not a skin, it's a completely new feature, meaning it's alright to require some effort to acquire, even if part of that effort is patience.The real reason why everyone is so angry is because they can't wait to get it. Like what do you actually expect will happen once you do? You will just fly around on it for a few hours and get bored of it soon after. And maybe you'll get the chance to brag for a month or two to those that don't have it yet.So everyone just chill, I know you are hyped to fly it around LA, but really it's not worth your nerves, the hype will drop very soon as it did with other mounts and stuff the game has to offer.

Wayfarer's henge was part of Aurora, the legendary trinket. People were angry, but also expected it to be long. It was a legendary after all. This is just a mount.

Reminding people about something else that annoyed them isn't a good argument for why this thing shouldn't also be considered annoying.

Timegates are an artificial inflation of play time that should be reserved for things that affect the game's economy or otherwise present some level of imbalance in the game as timegates are a form of protection. They should not be used to stunt progress on the acquisition of skills/mobility (as mounts provide), especially not when the natural gate of layered collections is present.

I would have been perfectly happy to work through the collections at my leisure and would not have been bothered in the least about how fast or slow other people chose to complete those objectives. Other people's mounts and gaming schedules do not impact my ability to play the game nor do they provide unfair advantages that can't already be had with existing mobility options.

I think context matters. Anet wants players to hatch, raise and bond with their skyscale, while Players want to... y'know... play with the damn thing (or, at the very least, work on the mastery). While Wayfarers Henge was a desirable reward for some, it wasn't the star of the episode and lacks the same widespread appeal due to lack of perceived utility.

Apples and oranges.

@Daniel Handler.4816 said:

@Rikimaru.7890 said:It has come to my attention that a lot of people are angry over the fact the Skyscale collections are timegated.Personally I'm not in the same boat as I only finished the medicine collection so far.But I still don't understand the rage here, I get it you want your new mount as quickly as possible, however I see no reason to be so angry.With that in mind I would like to remind you about
The Wayfarer's Henge
it's an ascended back item from LW3 E5, which you earned by also completing a time gate collection chain.It is very annoying as you need at least 16 days to complete the whole chain.
Not only that but each of these 16 days you need to complete all 5 heart quests in Draconis Mons.
Now that is unreasonable, because it's just a back item and we already had plenty of those before and we keep getting new ones. So the only reason to acquire it is for the unique skin it provides.However the Skyscale is a new mount and as with all mounts in GW2 it functions in it's own way, so it's unique. So it's not something we can find an alternative for with a different look.It's not a skin, it's a completely new feature, meaning it's alright to require some effort to acquire, even if part of that effort is
patience.
The real reason why everyone is so angry is because they can't wait to get it. Like what do you actually expect will happen once you do? You will just fly around on it for a few hours and get bored of it soon after. And maybe you'll get the chance to brag for a month or two to those that don't have it yet.So everyone just chill, I know you are hyped to fly it around LA, but really it's not worth your nerves, the hype will drop very soon as it did with other mounts and stuff the game has to offer.

Wayfarer's henge was part of Aurora, the legendary trinket. People were angry, but also expected it to be long. It was a legendary after all. This is just a mount.

Actually, OP has stated that the time gate is for an Ascended piece of back item, not for Aurora in general. And there are, you have to agree, plenty of Ascended back items. Also, OP has stated that the mount offers a unique feature (and he is right) that NO OTHER ITEM in the game can offer, thus it is more uncommon item than the Asc. back from Draconis Mons, yet it has less time gating.

@Witch of Doom.5739 said:I think I expected -- I don't claim to speak for everyone or even most players -- the collection to be similar to that of the last PvE mount we could acquire, the Roller Beetle. Now I understand why the team wouldn't tell us about the acquisition requirements of the Skyscale.

When they didn't say anything about that before hand should have been a clue in hindsight.

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:Heh, I remember the big forum meltdown when Ascended Gear and its time-gate was released.

This, too, shall pass.

This.

So many people have devolved into divas, it's insane. No one focuses on the actually cool parts of how you are raising your Scyscale from scratch, all the places you need to visit (less significant for veterans, but try to look at this from a newer players perspective), the revitalization of some events and maps. All people focus on is "wah I wanted it NOW".

Even the Charged Quartz time gate can be bypassed by buying items off the TP (and the prices have been taking hard dives of 30% per day, so for any person with a fraction of patience this becomes a non issue).

Yet, at the same time people are looking forward to WoW Classic with literally 0 patience or self control. Man I can't wait for that meltdown to happen.

There had to vent, sorry. I love the details which went into the skyscale and episode overall which get drowned in internet trolls and whines.

As far as Wayfarers, that one was a pain. Man was I glad I had done it before Aurora came out. Yet even that time-gate nightmare was survivable and the episode it came with had one of the most beautiful and well made maps in the game (imo).

You mean that backpiece that took me six months because I started it way later than everyone else and on my Day One, map chat was full of "RIP THIS MAP TOMORROW!" and "Never coming back when I get mine!"?

Yeah I remember. I remember the LFGs. I remember asking for people to help me. I remember no one wanting to or not being able to get enough people. I remember doing the meta and everyone fighting the boss I didn't need the item from every time. Six months and I completed it randomly by stumbling onto a map where a group was killing the boss I needed.

Not fun, should be soloable.

@"bOTEB.1573" said:

@Rikimaru.7890 said:It has come to my attention that a lot of people are angry over the fact the Skyscale collections are timegated.Personally I'm not in the same boat as I only finished the medicine collection so far.But I still don't understand the rage here, I get it you want your new mount as quickly as possible, however I see no reason to be so angry.With that in mind I would like to remind you about
The Wayfarer's Henge
it's an ascended back item from LW3 E5, which you earned by also completing a time gate collection chain.It is very annoying as you need at least 16 days to complete the whole chain.
Not only that but each of these 16 days you need to complete all 5 heart quests in Draconis Mons.
Now that is unreasonable, because it's just a back item and we already had plenty of those before and we keep getting new ones. So the only reason to acquire it is for the unique skin it provides.However the Skyscale is a new mount and as with all mounts in GW2 it functions in it's own way, so it's unique. So it's not something we can find an alternative for with a different look.It's not a skin, it's a completely new feature, meaning it's alright to require some effort to acquire, even if part of that effort is
patience.
The real reason why everyone is so angry is because they can't wait to get it. Like what do you actually expect will happen once you do? You will just fly around on it for a few hours and get bored of it soon after. And maybe you'll get the chance to brag for a month or two to those that don't have it yet.So everyone just chill, I know you are hyped to fly it around LA, but really it's not worth your nerves, the hype will drop very soon as it did with other mounts and stuff the game has to offer.

Actually, OP has stated that the time gate is for an Ascended piece of back item, not for Aurora in general. And there are, you have to agree, plenty of Ascended back items. Also, OP has stated that the mount offers a unique feature (and he is right) that NO OTHER ITEM in the game can offer, thus it is more uncommon item than the Asc. back from Draconis Mons, yet it has less time gating.

The ascended back item is part of crafting a legendary. The fact you can craft it and not go on to make Aurora is irrelevant.

@Daniel Handler.4816 said:

@"bOTEB.1573" said:

The Wayfarer's Henge
patience.

The ascended back item is part of crafting a legendary. The fact you can craft it and not go on to make Aurora is irrelevant.

No. The Wayfarer's Henge exists as its own item, and is its own goal. There was also two and half months were people worked for and aquired Wayfarer's Henge with no knowledge of the coming Aurora.

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:

@"bOTEB.1573" said:

The Wayfarer's Henge
patience.

No. The Wayfarer's Henge exists as its own item, and is its own goal. There was also two and half months were people worked for and aquired Wayfarer's Henge with no knowledge of the coming Aurora.

But the developers did.