In this update, we are reworking the Shadow Arts trait line for thieves. As a support- and survivalist-focused line, we wanted to refocus it around stronger themes as well as improve the potency of its minor traits. Many of the more passive traits have been adjusted or rebuilt to have more active effects, while some of the more niche traits like Merciful Ambush have been adjusted to have more general-use applications. Meanwhile, new traits like Shadow Savior and reworked traits like Rending Shade will help to provide new ways to approach combat. Thief trap skills are being retired for now and replaced by a new type of ability: Preparations. See below for their more information on those skills.
- Dagger Storm: Reduced the casting time by 30%. Increased damage by 33% in PvE only.
- Smoke Screen: This skill now creates a ring instead of a line.
- Infiltrator's Signet: Increased range from 900 to 1,200.
- The following skills have been removed: Needle Trap, Tripwire, Shadow Trap, Ambush.
Traps (Skill Category): This category has been replaced by a new skill category: Preparations.
- Preparations will function in a similar fashion to trap abilities, but they will not fire unless the thief chooses to trigger them. Each preparation will have a radius of 240 and will produce a variety of results, including the introduction of a portal-type utility that can ferry allies to a location.
Prepare Pitfall: This new skill will mark your current area with controlling magic, readying the location to crush enemies when released.
Pitfall: This new skill will unleash your pitfall on an area, knocking down foes and delivering constant damage over time.
- Prepare Thousand Needles: This new skill will mark your current area with inhibiting magic, readying the location to poison enemies.
- Thousand Needles: This new skill will unleash a hail of needles that immobilizes enemies on impact and repeatedly strikes foes over a short period of time.
- Prepare Seal Area: This new skill will mark your current area with stifling magic, readying the location to seal enemies in.
- Seal Area: This new skill will seal your marked area, blocking projectiles and preventing enemies from entering or leaving.
- Prepare Shadow Portal: This new skill will mark your current location with shadow magic.
- Shadow Portal: This new skill will unleash the shadow magic at your prepared location, creating a one-way portal that you and your allies can take. Allies traveling through the portal will be granted stealth, and foes around the portal's exit will be weakened. This skill is split between game modes, allowing 5 allies through in PvE and WvW, while only allowing one ally through in PvP.
Uncatchable: This skill now also casts Lesser Caltrops when you take falling damage in addition to when dodge rolling, and it also reduces falling damage by 50%.
Deadly Arts: This line has had some traits reworked due to the removal of Traps as a skill category. Preparations will not be receiving a trait at this time and will instead be balanced as though they are traited already.
- Dagger Training: This trait no longer inflicts poison on dagger attacks.
- Trapper's Respite: This trait has been reworked and renamed Deadly Ambition.
- Deadly Ambition: Inflict 2 stacks of poison for 3 seconds when striking a foe, with an internal cooldown of 3 seconds in PvE, 5 seconds in PvP. Gain +120 condition damage when this trait is equipped.
- Deadly Trapper: This trait has been reworked and renamed Even the Odds.
- Even the Odds: Inflict 5 stacks of vulnerability for 10 seconds on targets you steal from. Gain 5 stacks of might for 10 seconds when you hit an enemy with a stealth attack.
Shadow Arts: Shadow Arts traits have been reworked and moved. The new traits are as follows.
- Concealing Restoration: With this new trait, casting your heal skill grants 2 seconds of stealth.
- Meld with Shadows: In addition to extending the duration of stealth, this trait now also increases movement speed while in stealth by 50%.
- Shadow Siphoning: This new trait causes all stealth attacks to siphon health if they hit. Cannot occur more than once per second per target hit.
- Merciful Ambush: This trait has been moved to the adept tier. It no longer increases revive speed and instead causes applying stealth to an ally to heal and revive them over 3 seconds.
- Shadow's Embrace: This trait has been moved to a different slot in the same tier. Its functionality is unchanged.
- Hidden Thief: This trait has been moved to the adept tier. It no longer increases movement speed while in stealth. Instead it grants 20% recharge reduction to deceptions.
- Shadow Savior: This new trait causes you to heal yourself after shadowstepping. Nearby allies are healed for double the amount you are.
- Leeching Venoms: This trait has been moved to new slot in the same tier. It no longer reduces recharge of venoms. Instead it causes the thief to stack spider venom automatically while in stealth.
- Flickering Shadows: This new trait grants 33% damage reduction while revealed.
- Cloaked in Shadow: This trait no longer grants immunity to critical hits. Instead it causes blinding a foe to siphon health.
- Shadow's Rejuvenation: This trait has not changed.
- Rending Shade: This trait no longer reduces damage from boonless foes. Instead it inflicts fear in a small area if it hits a boonless foe.
@Karl McLain.5604 said:
@Karl McLain.5604 said:
Being that the notes have gone out early and the theorycraft is in full swing, I want to add one additional note on Preparations.
This ability type still carries similar functionality to other abilities that have arm-times. For preparations, the arm time is set at 3 seconds, with the activation being instant for non-damaging ones and 1/4 second for the damaging ones.
These abilities have a few unique aspects to them. We're looking forward to seeing the builds and gameplay that you come up with!
Just to make sure I understand; Would it take me 3 seconds to place the preparation (as in, be rooted in place) and it's ready to be activated after that or do I place it instantly but can move away and I just can't activate it until 3 seconds have passed?
It's a fairly quick 1/2 second cast. I'll look to edit the post and incorporate this info.