Its not a gun-BLADE!

xXMapcoXx.9614

Just now, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

I assume I missed something here, what gun-sword?

I think OP's post is talking about the Warrior's new elite spec. They really do have a gun...sword...blade? saber?...thing, that looks like a gigantic bayonet jammed onto the end of a relatively dinky pistol.

It looks interesting, that's for sure.

• Like 2

Did i hear Saber...Riders  (if i remember correctly the Black Knight Saber shoots "some times" layser from the tip)?

11 hours ago, Vilin.8056 said:

Sorry, the weapon name was set 22 years ago.

https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Gunblade_(weapon_type)

Captain Harlock had the first Sword/Gun (1978) , but didn't named  it  !

Edited by Solitude.2097
  • Confused 1

I was going to say surely bayonets on rifles were the earliest example of gunswords (they date back to the early 17th century) but apparently pistol swords were developed around the same time, which I suppose makes sense; experimenting with combining different forms of guns and swords.

Either way it's not something that originated in any video game, movie etc. (But for what it's worth I think the coolest example is Ezra Bridger's lightsaber.)

I am curious about how the warrior spec will work, especially after finding out this is a profession mechanic and not just weapon skills you get with a pistol and a sword equipped. I've always found warrior fairly dull, so I'm hoping this will make it more interesting for me.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I was going to say surely bayonets on rifles were the earliest example of gunswords (they date back to the early 17th century) but apparently pistol swords were developed around the same time, which I suppose makes sense; experimenting with combining different forms of guns and swords.

Either way it's not something that originated in any video game, movie etc. (But for what it's worth I think the coolest example is Ezra Bridger's lightsaber.)

I am curious about how the warrior spec will work, especially after finding out this is a profession mechanic and not just weapon skills you get with a pistol and a sword equipped. I've always found warrior fairly dull, so I'm hoping this will make it more interesting for me.

I was gonna say, bladed guns, or swords with guns started being made almost as soon as guns got invented. They are old, and a gunblade is a perfectly fine name for them. -shrug-

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

We're not talking about the dual function weapon, where gun and blade are put in a single package. We're talking about the blade that has a gun-type mechanism with special cartridges that, instead of firing bullets, are used to enhance blade attacks. That's exactly what FF gunblade is (and the linked by you pistol sword is not).

And yeah, it is exactly as dumb as it sounds, which is why it is not a historical weapon, but a purely fictional one.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

We're not talking about the dual function weapon, where gun and blade are put in a single package. We're talking about the blade that has a gun-type mechanism with special cartridges that, instead of firing bullets, are used to enhance blade attacks. That's exactly what FF gunblade is (and the linked by you pistol sword is not).

And yeah, it is exactly as dumb as it sounds, which is why it is not a historical weapon, but a purely fictional one.

Whhhaaaaatt! So ur telling me that I have to run around in the fully imaginated fictional fantasy world slaying fictional beasts and Dragons using a weapon that's not realistic? Wtf anet.

1 hour ago, Psycoprophet.8107 said:

Whhhaaaaatt! So ur telling me that I have to run around in the fully imaginated fictional fantasy world slaying fictional beasts and Dragons using a weapon that's not realistic? Wtf anet.

...that was a comment about why this weapon is a game idea (from Final Fantasy series) and not something historical (as some people claimed). That it would be dumb in real world exactly because it requires fantasy elements to even work, and thus it can make sense only within a fantastic setting. It was not a comment about the setting itself.

Still, in the end it is a Final Fantasy gunblade.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1