Mechanist Feedback Thread

Fire Attunement.9835

On 11/27/2021 at 10:31 PM, LucianDK.8615 said:

So far what is the mechanist leaning towards?  Condi or Power?

Well....they are trying to make mechanist fitting in all 3 roles. Support, power and condi.
Atm its mostly condi and support tho.

Imo its bad that they try mechanist to fit in all 3 roles since we already got 2 power specs and 0 condi specs.
So why they had to make mechanist also power to have 3 power specs?

It would even cause far more variety in the 2 roles (support, condi) if the power traitline would not exist. Maybe i ll get some hate for it from people wanting power mechanist but thats my opinion.

Edited by SeTect.5918
  • Like 3

There is urgent need to custom jade robot to other colors. It just crushing with fashion! 

Also how bout making engineer's light sable color customizable?
Maybe jade tech sable to match green with green?

And a inquest red laser light sable?.
Just put out the versions if devs can't make them customisable...

Edited by medivh.4725

On 11/27/2021 at 11:59 PM, SeTect.5918 said:

Well....they are trying to make mechanist fitting in all 3 roles. Support, power and condi.
Atm its mostly condi and support tho.

Imo its bad that they try mechanist to fit in all 3 roles since we already got 2 power specs and 0 condi specs.
So why they had to make mechanist also power to have 3 power specs?

It would even cause far more variety in the 2 roles (support, condi) if the power traitline would not exist. Maybe i ll get some hate for it from people wanting power mechanist but thats my opinion.

100% agreeing with you here.

We needed a spec which gives us more variety for condition damage. Condi builds will still keep getting locked into a full kit set up, while mechanist could have given us more freedom if they just had focused the spec more on condition damage. 

As you said, we already have 2 elite specs for power damage, so there really wouldn't have been any problem to forego power damage for this third one here...

• Thanks 1

On 11/28/2021 at 9:59 AM, SeTect.5918 said:

That is technically false since you can play condi holosmith which makes 2 power 1 condi.

Plus condi Mechanist isnt much different from condi Holosmith or core engi which is 4 kits. All you need to do if I remember correctly is that Mechanist has to spam the F ability off CD.

I hope power Mechanist will still be good

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Alcatraznc.3869 said:

That is technically false since you can play condi holosmith which makes 2 power 1 condi.

Yes but holo is still a power e spec, just that this power e spec has lots of burning. I mean which of the traits in holo supports condi? 1 trait out of 11-12.

Also sword, the e spec weapon of holo, is completely unplayable on condi.

My point is that it has a condi build but its a power e spec.

8 minutes ago, Alcatraznc.3869 said:

Plus condi Mechanist isnt much different from condi Holosmith or core engi which is 4 kits. All you need to do if I remember correctly is that Mechanist has to spam the F ability off CD.

Condi mechanist Was not planned to be 4 kits. Thats also why they buffed the condi signet.

Imo condi mechanist is different from holo or core, its just that in every condi build on engi will always be kits bc they r the best option for condi. 

12 minutes ago, Alcatraznc.3869 said:

Yea me too, if they give it a power traitline, they should also make it viable even if i would like to have no power traitline on Mechanist at all.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Alcatraznc.3869 said:

Holosmith can be played as condition because basically everything can be played on engineer as condition as long as it provides just 1 additional stack of a condition.

Because we are severely lacking in condition trait lines. In core, we basically just have 1 trait line which is really useful for condition builds (firearms). All other lines either provide nothing at all (alchemy, inventions, tools) or very little (explosives with the only condition trait being shrapnel) to condition builds.

But holosmith really isn't a hybrid spec, it favours power damage way more than condition damage. For example, the highest damage amplifier it has with laser's edge applies to strike damage only. Looking at the photon forge, there is literally just one single skill which deals condition damage (photon blitz), meanwhile auto attack, corona burst and photon blitz are all pretty good damage abilities for power builds.

So basically, anything which offers at least 1 additional stack of bleeding can be used for condition builds on engineer, simply because we are that starved of options for condition builds...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, SeTect.5918 said:

Condi mechanist Was not planned to be 4 kits. Thats also why they buffed the condi signet.

Imo condi mechanist is different from holo or core, its just that in every condi build on engi will always be kits bc they r the best option for condi. 

There are ways to free us from that stuff...

The big problem why we are locked into kits for condition builds is simply because we have no viable condition damage utility skills outside of kits.

• Turrets: just one condition damage turret (flame turret), which deals terrible damage. The rest favours power damage because of their toolbelt skills (rocket, surprise shot, rumble).
  • Elixirs: buff based, so almost all don't favour any damage type except elixir x, which favours power.
  • Gadgets: majority of them favours power damage (AED because of toolbelt, personal battering ram, throw mine). Just rocket boots adds to condition damage thanks to it's toolbelt skill.

And looking at this stuff... the utility skills we have which are not kits and add condition damage are dealing very little damage (flame turret, rocket boots).

Power builds on the other hand have more options. Rocket from rocket turret and surprise shot from rifle turret deal good power damage. Mine field can deal alot of power damage. Launch personal battering ram deals good single target damage and can get used for static discharge builds.

Then our elite specs added more choices like shredder gyro and laser disk, which are strong ticking power damage skills able to compete with damage output from kits for a slot.

We needed this stuff from a new condition damage spec. New condition damage focused utility skills which are able to compete with kits for a slot. Mechanist just adds one single condition signet which, frankly, is not enough to tackle the problem of kits dominating condition builds.

I hope that we can get a future elite spec some day which can achieve this... by giving us preparations/traps or something with alot of condition damage baked in.

Out of curiosity, why doesn't the mech just enter a form of defense mode when It's health is depleted, It could even play into the mechanist gameplay to make it do things in that state with a separate set of defense mode abilities as opposed to it just flying off and deleting half the mechanist.

(also, flamethrower mech that gets to benefit from juggernaut, everybody likes flamethrowers)

Edited by Stalima.5490
  • Like 2

Mace 3 and Rocket Punch deals zero power damage in PvP simply because they have stun. Which is terrible, because it is supposed to be the hardest hitting skill of Mace.

Mace, for some reason, applies Confusion - the worst condi in the game and Engi has zero traits to improve Confusion.

Mech power-damage skill on F2 deals zero damage because it has knockback.

I don't understand Anet at all. They force Mechanist to use Mace - they even connected a mech skill to mace skill. But at the same time most damaging power-based skill of mace and of mech are both gutted in pvp because they have CC, while condi mace has zero synergy with engineer's condi traits.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Kodama.6453 said:

The big problem why we are locked into kits for condition builds is simply because we have no viable condition damage utility skills outside of kits.

10 hours ago, Kodama.6453 said:

Elixirs: buff based, so almost all don't favour any damage type except elixir x, which favours power.

There are a couple of very inpopular traits in Alchemy traitline. I think they could be replaced with something that improves condi builds without.
For example, one trait could improve combat effectiveness of Elixir gun, while other trait could replace toolbelt Toss Elixir skills with Elixir Bomb skills that apply different conditions and all have Explosion tag and pretty short CDs.
These to changes would open an opportunity for a condi spec that uses only one kit and a lot of elixirs, but instead of buffing allies with Toss skills it would hurt enemies with conditions.

Also, if Static Discharge trait would apply condi too, it will also have an synergy with this "alchemist build", because Elixir Bombs are toolbelt skills.

I mean, there are a lot things could be improved in Core Engi to allow players to have wider variety of builds.

1 hour ago, Bomboed.5697 said:

Mace, for some reason, applies Confusion - the worst condi in the game and Engi has zero traits to improve Confusion.

Tbh I dont have a that big problem with confusion.
I actually like it, while in PvE its not that useful, its very good in PvP/WvW. However also in PvE like 10% of my dmg was confusion on the heropoint under tarir in auric basin.
I think the biggest problem is that we, as you said already, have no traits to improve confusion somehow.

I actually wouldve liked to see a 33% confusion duration increase to match the bleeding and burning of firearms. Well if you play mace/pistol and flamethrower, bomb kit, superconducting signet + overclock signet the only condis you deal are confusion, bleeding and burning.
While bleeding and burning both r at 100%, confusion will be stuck at 67%.

Also a little bonus on confused enemies would be nice.

Actually I like confusion, its a condition with an interesting effect, even if its not that useful in PvE.

So version 2.

It feels better, and i find the golem more responsive and less clunky compared to first time: Not interrupted skills or mech not knowing what to do. (Still has some bugs staying in animation) the damages are cool too.

One major concern: The elite skill. Really. I dunno if reduce golem resummon is okay as elite.

Indeed when mech is here, it is a laser that deals good damages, their should be an equivalent for no mech like the elite skill trigger a salve of rocket fist prototypes if mech not here. Because if no mech, in term of DPS or damage dealt, the elite without mech is USELESS.

I just have two minor concerns:

1-What we do if mech is dead? REALLY, you should think about adding a toolbelt with secondary signets effects maybe.

2-Specialization traits don't affects any weapons and builds other than "Rely on your mech" and this is a VERY BAD thing. It means, players should rely on mech and signets that indirectely buff mech too. Turrets, Kits or Elixirs play is not reinforced by the specialization, no diversity of play. But I kinda understand if other trait lines can affect mech i think of explosives trait line as example: Are mech attacks considered explosions, can they pierce?

I found the playstyle fluid, I like the mech, its skills, the signets. I just point those two mini concerns if other peoples share them too, but I would say overall, good job, very good job Arenanet, that spec is still good. 🙂

Edited by hugo.4705

You shouldn't have to choose which stats the mech inherits by picking traits. It should just inherit everything all the time, since it's already limited in which stats it can apply based on which skills it has. No other profession has to choose to ignore most of its stats for its profession skills.

I would like to play hybrid mechanist builds such as diviner or trailblazer, but currently this is not feasible because it's designed to ignore most of the stats on hybrid sets. You have to go fully into support or power or condi. Very uninteresting from a build perspective.

Rocket Punch also shouldn't be restricted to Mace 3. That trait already has an ICD attached to it. It should be able to proc from any weapon or kit 3 skill. Again, this change is needed to allow for more build variety. It also seems like a glaring mistake to have a mandatory trait that does nothing unless you're using a specific weapon.

The outright removal of Jade Siphon is very noticeable. Please add it back and allow F1-F3 to interrupt whatever the mech is doing instead of just getting rid of it. The mech is an elite specialization mechanic, and it is the only profession mechanic that the mechanist has since the tool belt is gone. Compare it to core rangers, who get two swappable pets, and you'll see it's already a simpler mechanic even with Jade Siphon. Stripping it down risks making it boring. If the interrupt problem can't be solved, it should still be added back and proc off of a weapon skill like Rocket Punch.

Lastly, the mech should work underwater. I mean, this is really just a silly one. You're shipping an expansion with (at least?) two mastery lines that are designed to work in aquatic spaces, and the mechanist loses their profession mechanic underwater? I'm sorry that this sounds like an insult, but getting in the water and seeing the entire mech disappear and be replaced by a single damaging skill just makes it feel like the spec ran into budget cuts. It feels bad. What happens if I'm sailing in a skiff and an aquatic enemy destroys it? I'm just screwed?

Edited by Tulki.1458
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

These latest changes are awful.

The lack of auto skills from the mech is really noticeable. Not just in damage, but also dynamic. It felt like the mech was doing things before and now it feels like a braindead ai following us. Bring back auto skills or tie rocket punch to every weapon's (pistol and rifle) 3rd skill, not just mace. Rifle has always felt like a dull weapon in pve, so adding rocket punch on the 3rd skill would help to remedy that too.

There's already been a lot of feedback that power mechanist has been nerfed into uselessness, but the fact that the trait that makes the mech ranged is in the same tier as the one that makes the mech inflict bleed is now a problem.

The mech has become more railroaded since last beta and it's worse for it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Little Leota.5849 said:

I had a problem with my mech during Shadow Behemoth.  I dismounted from my siege turtle (single occupant), and my mech would not show up.  Not sure if I was doing something incorrectly, but I haven't had this problem until now.

that happens because the mech cannot enter water... like at all... even an inch of water and the mech will REFUSE to go anywhere near it... it behaves the same way flesh golem used to... before they made it a shark in the water.

• Like 1

Some quick feed back on the Mechanist from a some one who often plays a Ranger.

During the first beta with the Mech, it could solo defeat Veteran level 80 monsters quickly, and only lose 25% of their health in the process.  

In this Beta the tankyness has been reduced. When the Mech now solos Veteran Level 80 monsters it is down to 10% health when it wins and it takes at least 3 minutes.  It can still solo kill  regular level 80 monsters solo is under 30 seconds with taking no more than 5% damage.

I decided to compare my best Ranger Pets directly with the Mech vs Sand Sharks in Desert Highlands this evening.

Here are the results with me providing zero damage or involvement, simply sending either a Ranger Pet or a Mechanist Mech in to fight solo.  I tried various Ranger Pets; Jacaranda, Bristleback, Brown Bear, Smokescale, and Jungle Stalker.  They all performed about the same.

VS LEVEL 80 SAND SHARK
Ranger Pet(s)      3 wins no losses,      match length average 1 minute 24 seconds
Mech                    3 wins no losses,     match length average 23 seconds

VS LEVEL 80 VETERAN ENRAGED SAND SHARK
Ranter Pet(s)       0 wins, 3 losses,       match length average 30 seconds
Mech                    2 wins, 1 loss,           match length average 3 minutes

As you can see the Mech is superior to any Ranger Pet. 

As a ranger I want to know the justification for this.

Why can't Ranger Pets be designed to perform this well?

Edited by Jalad Lantana.3027
formatting
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

4 minutes ago, Jalad Lantana.3027 said:

Some quick feed back on the Mechanist from a some one who often plays a Ranger.

During the first beta with the Mech, it could solo defeat Veteran level 80 monsters quickly, and only lose 25% of their health in the process.  

In this Beta the tankyness has been reduced. When the Mech now solos Veteran Level 80 monsters it is down to 10% health when it wins and it takes at least 3 minutes.  It can still solo kill  regular level 80 monsters solo is under 30 seconds with taking no more than 5% damage.

I decided to compare my best Ranger Pets directly with the Mech vs Sand Sharks in Desert Highlands this evening.

Here are the results with me providing zero damage or involvement, simply sending either a Ranger Pet or a Mechanist Mech in to fight solo.  I tried various Ranger Pets; Jacaranda, Bristleback, Brown Bear, Smokescale, and Jungle Stalker.  They all performed about the same.

VS LEVEL 80 SAND SHARK
Ranger Pet(s)      3 wins no losses,      match length average 1 minute 24 seconds
Mech                    3 wins no losses,     match length average 23 seconds
VS LEVEL 80 VETERAN ENRAGED SAND SHARK
Ranter Pet(s)       0 wins, 3 losses,       match length average 30 seconds
Mech                    2 wins, 1 loss,           match length average 3 minutes

As you can see the Mech is superior to any Ranger Pet. 

As a ranger I want to know the justification for this.

Why can't Ranger Pets be designed to perform this well?

That's not an apples to apples comparison.

The ranger has a weapon swap, the mechanist does not.

The ranger has two pets, the mechanist has one.

The mechanist is more dependent on its pet than core ranger is.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1