Hidden unspoken rules for WvW ?

GoldenPants.1870

3 hours ago, GoldenPants.1870 said:

So uh, I dunno what it is recently, but one of the servers I am facing seems reaaaaaallllly salty if you go out of combat, then re-engage them.. Like…

Do they expect me to just let them keep killing me or something ? Do they think there is a rule against going out of combat then re-engaging them, like the entire roaming world would be duels only or what ? 😂

They probably expect you to not waste their time if you plan to keep resetting every time your hp drops low.

At least in my opinion this is really annoying and counterproductive for both parties. If you need more than one ooc reset, then I'll just leave and probably whisper you "let's not waste each others time, ty". I personally roam to have decent engaging fights, not to play tag for 15 minutes. But to each their own, I suppose. 

Edited by mage from the hood.5129
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Widmo.3186 said:

Theres nothing wrong with running from fights, either if you engage or if enemy engages. But if you keep engaging 1v1, then losing, going ooc and repeat - Id honestly start being toxic as well, and siege your right after.

Well first two times our 1v1 was interrupted by an enemy spellbreaker, on his team, and when I had to disengage, he procceded to /laugh spam, so I decided to go at it again, I was winning, until again, same spellbreaker comes back to the exact same spot, I had to disengage, he repeats /laugh, and I decide to for a third time to go at it, but after fighting for like.. 5 minutes, I just decide to disengage, not fun fighting a soulbeast that had a 75% uptime on all boons with insane healing, perma protection and 25 might.

And then was the block and whisper

Edited by GoldenPants.1870
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, GoldenPants.1870 said:

So uh, I dunno what it is recently, but one of the servers I am facing seems reaaaaaallllly salty if you go out of combat, then re-engage them.. Like…

Do they expect me to just let them keep killing me or something ? Do they think there is a rule against going out of combat then re-engaging them, like the entire roaming world would be duels only or what ? 😂

Have you not immidiately answered your own question? 🙃

Either the issue is with them being upset for no good reason, or the issue is with you breaking some unspoken rule (like making people think it is a duel) or the issue is with balance (and whether they can put some more speed on their build to solve the issue). I think you can ignore most issues and just play.

Edited by subversiontwo.7501

31 minutes ago, GoldenPants.1870 said:

Well first two times our 1v1 was interrupted by an enemy spellbreaker, on his team, and when I had to disengage, he procceded to /laugh spam, so I decided to go at it again, I was winning, until again, same spellbreaker comes back to the exact same spot, I had to disengage, he repeats /laugh, and I decide to for a third time to go at it, but after fighting for like.. 5 minutes, I just decide to disengage, not fun fighting a soulbeast that had a 75% uptime on all boons with insane healing, perma protection and 25 might.

And then was the block and whisper

All he was trying to do was goad you into over committing. It is usually a tactic employed by tanky people who plan on holding out until they get some help from an ally to secure the kill (or otherwise prey on weaker skilled players who can't keep up with the sustain). 

The block whisper combo is just what he resorted to after the emote spamming failed to get the results he wanted. 

The only "rule" of wvw here is "players are only human and manipulating them into making a mistake is always an option." 

Edited by saerni.2584
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, saerni.2584 said:

All he was trying to do was goad you into over committing. It is usually a tactic employed by tanky people who plan on holding out until they getting some help from an ally to secure the kill (or otherwise prey on weaker skilled players who can't keep up with the sustain). 

Tanky sure was an understatement.. permanent protection, regen, 25 might, fury, swiftness, super stab uptime, and ontop of all of that a celestial gear.

Like others before, I consider "repeated OOC resets & re-engages" to be bad behaviour, for all the reasons already mentioned.

But since OP asked about "unspoken rules", I consider those to include:

- attacking enemy players waiting for Veteran dailies or killing them after you both took the Veteran down
- stomping enemies when you (accidentally) interfered with a "duel" (as many wait for the downed to recover to start the next round of the duel), although I expect people to duel "off dolly routes" and not next to camps
- if you get spared from a stomp after a defeat (in a 1v1) and the "winner" turns away and leaves you to recover, you don't follow him/her for a backstab attack
- if an ally comes in to help you in a (fair) fight you are about to lose, you don't run away and let him/her deal with the fight you struggled with, sacrificing him/her because you saw a chance to get away

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Gorani.7205 said:

attacking enemy players waiting for Veteran dailies

I dont think this is a rule, not even a hidden one, I've engaged such people before, be it 1v1 or 1v3. Usually it goes well.. Usually.

3 minutes ago, Gorani.7205 said:

- stomping enemies when you (accidentally) interfered with a "duel" (as many wait for the downed to recover to start the next round of the duel), although I expect people to duel "off dolly routes" and not next to camps

A pretty known rule I think, atleast for people who duel.

3 minutes ago, Gorani.7205 said:

- if you get spared from a stomp after a defeat (in a 1v1) and the "winner" turns away and leaves you to recover, you don't follow him/her for a backstab attack

I mean yeah, usually it only happens in a duel tho.

4 minutes ago, Gorani.7205 said:

- if an ally comes in to help you in a (fair) fight you are about to lose, you don't run away and let him/her deal with the fight you struggled with, sacrificing him/her because you saw a chance to get away

I mean yeah, that's obvious.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Personally, in situations like you've described, 9 times out of 10 if someone disengages a fight on me I take the opportunity to leave. I'm not interested in playing tag and I don't care if they think I'm giving up. I view it as them telling me they care more about winning than enjoying our fight, and I get in to fights for the combat not for the clout.
And of course I mean 1 on 1, not duel. 

Everyone's got their own honor code. Whether they follow their own rules or not depends on the person. The problem is when people expect others to know of or respect these things when it's all in their head, and they start feeling cheated or insulted when someone plays a way they don't like.

Your enemy owes you nothing, and as soon as you demand respect you'll get just the opposite. 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Shroud.2307 said:

Everyone's got their own honor code. Whether they follow their own rules or not depends on the person. The problem is when people expect others to know of or respect these things when it's all in their head, and they start feeling cheated or insulted when someone plays a way they don't like.

Well personally my honor code is do everything not to lose, and I expect the opponent do the same.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, GoldenPants.1870 said:

Well personally my honor code is do everything not to lose, and I expect the opponent do the same.

That's fair, and much less of a high horse position than what I take. To be clear, I wasn't insulting you for what you did, though I realize it may sound that way now. 

My point really is that your whisper blocker was either trying to get a rise out of you like @saerni.2584 said, or they were mad you dishonored their "unspoken rules". Either way, nothing wrong was done on your behalf.

• Like 4

imagine caring about salty whispers kek. or trying to rationally explain one of them, like what do u expect? also idk what they expect of course, if u play any of the very mobile specs, every potatoe should know by now that u won't catch them.

that's one reason why i don't roam, it's a lot of wannabe heroes that run to narnia if they cannot gank u anyways. i cannot get salty if they run, as its just normal. with this wet noodle dmg, only few classes and builds can kill fast enough for the mobile sets to not just run.

ergo, why would u care? it is what it is.

the only unspoken rule is to /bow if u duel. then, u should probably not full disengage till one gets downed. otherwise, this honor blabla doesn't exist. u kill what u kill, if it runs, u didn't kill good enough.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, kamikharzeeh.8016 said:

the only unspoken rule is to /bow if u duel. then, u should probably not full disengage till one gets downed. otherwise, this honor blabla doesn't exist. u kill what u kill, if it runs, u didn't kill good enough.

I do the /bow when they jump me and I trounce them into the ground.  It is like "what were you thinking, and thank you for the loot" 😁.  I have also done the /bow and wandered away after a duel.  If they come after me, they go down all the way.  I kind of feel bad if someone else comes up and pins them after I walked from a duel.

1. Usually siege is built from left to right, but sometimes this isn't always the case, in which case, build the better siege with the most build % and always check what siege is chucked down. If I had a dollar for every time someone chucked down an arrow cart instead of a flame ram, well, I wouldn't be rich, but I'd have enough money to buy a group of people some icecreams, that's for sure. The worst part is, a lot of the time, players use their supply on it, and it gets wasted. So always check to make sure the correct siege is placed down before spending your supply.

2. Mini's aren't stealthed if YOU are stealthed, this means the enemy can see where you are roughly, via your mini that isn't stealthed. I tend to not follow this as and when I feel like it though, because it's nice to see some mini's in WvW, you only live once, and most of the time I'm not in a zerg big enough to warrant hiding my mini because I play Soulbeast and shoot from the back anyway, so I hardly ever get stealthed by others. But it is a hidden rule, kind of, to hide your mini's in WvW.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. There's more no doubt but I can't brain right now.

• Like 1

If they're here to waste your time with some sustain bunker with no mobility, then that's their problem. You are not around to entertain them and they're just trying to goad you in for some crap anyways.

Nobody is ever entitled to a fight with you and if they're going to act childish like that, then they don't deserve anything.

But yea OOC'ing 100 times could be annoying to people.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Plenty of rules.

If in a duel area.

1. Bow to ask/start a duel.
  2. Don't interrupt unless friendly is downed, or asked, or another enemy joins, if enemy attacks you then go ham, but many don't care either way these days.
  3. If you interrupt a fight, don't be surprised if your team mate sits back and watches you die instead, don't cry about it after, you made the decision to jump into it.
  4. If someone keeps resetting the fight in a duel, then walk away, they're not good enough to beat you without an advantage, they're scared to die in a videogame.
  5. If you keep resetting the fight in a duel, then walk away, you're not good enough to beat the other person without an advantage, you're scared to die in a videogame, and don't really want to improve just a bragging bag.

Open field, random encounter, random numbers.

1. Anything goes, up to you to not put yourself in a bad situation.
  2. (Funny story time) this one time, at nw camp, went to cap the camp by dragging all the npcs to behind the supply stack to aoe them down, when an enemy scrapper comes by as it started capping and decides to stand on the other side by the wall nwt side, unbeknownst to him my zerg was currently descending down into the camp from nwt, and right on top of him. He tried to insult me in whispers after about how did I get a high rank from being a chicken. I guess he expected to kill me in the 5s we stood staring at each other and neither of us had moved, but I was the chicken! More like I was aware what was about to happen to him since I was facing the tower. See rule one again. 🤭

For zergs.

1. Don't use minipet, they don't stealth.
  2. Don't run on mount or unstealth or with golem, with stealth group, big duh.
  3. Don't close walls in middle of battle if your team is still on the wrong side of the wall.
  4. Don't use siege you don't have mastery for if others are around.
  5. Don't repair walls or gates being actively attacked, unless stalling for time from an immediate attack, if your team is responding.
  6. Priority defense siege use, on enemy siege first, players if no siege exist. You shooting one guy with the cannon over the zerg with catas or rams up makes you the biggest dummy on the server.
  7. Stop using walmart siege, there's a number of ways to get superior siege cheap or free.
  8. Build siege left to right, although a lot of commanders tend to drop siege right to left, so I tend to build first down first supplied. Also build as soon as siege goes down, why are you getting supply if you're not going to use it?
Edited by Xenesis.6389
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Ubi.4136 said:

Thief is the most forgiving class in the game.  You can make the most mistakes of any class and still just walk away from a fight.  As the above poster said, duel = it's bad form, other than that, every one expects a thief to just blow cd's and when they don't win because the other player is better, they just run away.

SInce the Thief is fragile, has few options as defensive weapons - dodges, evasion ,blindness, stealth, teleportation capacities, it is not strange when the Thief carefully fights any opponent. A few mistakes can spell the Thief's doom.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Sylvia.4870 said:

SInce the Thief is fragile, has few options as defensive weapons - dodges, evasion ,blindness, stealth, teleportation capacities, it is not strange when the Thief carefully fights any opponent. A few mistakes can spell the Thief's doom.

Sort of though.  Most classes in an even fight, make 1 mistake and the fight is over.  Player stomped.  Thief can make 1 mistake, then another, then another, ad infinitum, and reset any time they want.  The only doom is that they had to leave, not that they died.

14 hours ago, GoldenPants.1870 said:

going out of combat then re-engaging them, like the entire roaming world would be duels only or what ? 😂

No, but it is certainly looked down upon. If you leave combat its basically admitting the fight was lost and when you do it multiple times when its obvious you wont win, yes it will get you a bad name. If someone leaves combat on me I just disengage them and refuse to fight.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, Telgum.6071 said:

If you are in a duel yes, that is considered honorless behaviour.

Wasn’t a duel, no. Who in their right mind would ever want to duel a celebeast ?

7 hours ago, Ubi.4136 said:

Thief is the most forgiving class in the game. 

I played engineer as I said earlier.

5 hours ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

But yea OOC'ing 100 times could be annoying to people.

Well it was 3 times, 2 times a spellbreaker joined said man, third time I just got bored of the 5+ min fight because anet somehow decided that celestial soulbeast is a thing that is allowed to exist. 

3 hours ago, Xenesis.6389 said:

Plenty of rules.

Yes but these are quite obvious ! That’s why I said hidden unspoken rules.

• Like 1

1. If you go ooc, I will teabag on your corpses

2. Men puke, men sh*t, men leave sweat, blood and tears on the Borderlands, men do not escape every five seconds

3. If you jump on warclaw, I jump back to say "hi"

4. If you jump on warclaw and dismount, it's considered as invitation to a duel

Aaaaand that's it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2