Are you going to force us to do Strikes to finish the EoD story?

Quoted from the blog: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/guild-wars-2-end-of-dragons-strike-missions-balance-and-rewards/

You’ll be introduced to each encounter and their core mechanics as you play through the story chapters, and access to each Strike Mission will be permanently unlocked for your account once you complete each relevant chapter in the Story Journal. By integrating these encounters directly into the story, we’re looking to grow the Strike Mission audience and encourage as many players as possible to give them a try.

Also to mention, there are 4 strikes, and they are designed for 10-player squads.

Will these be required for the story?

1) Anet has slowly learned over the years, (from Zhaitan story mode dungeon) that people want to be able to solo the story without being forced to group up. LWS2 feedback indicated that people didn't want default hard mode story episodes (imo, offering story instances a hard mode as a reward for completing normal mode is totally fine, and i recommend it). IBS showed that Anet wanted to offer season 1 style, map-wide events, but repeatable, scaleable to allow people to solo the instances for the story (these are known as dragon response missions, or DRMs)

2) with the Fractal community, many groups get together to do Challenge modes, and many Fractal groups like to speed-clear the fractals. the same can be said for strikes, after awhile, those familiar with them won't want to do normal modes for lack of rewards. this will cause problems for people trying to do the story in the future. People already complain about toxicity in raids, strikes, and fractals. those people will riot if they are forced to deal with that toxicity for STORY.

so, please give us more information about how these 10-player strikes are integrated into the story. will there be solo-modes for the story like Zhaitan dungeon and DRMs? Or will we be forced to group up for the story?

• Like 9
  • Confused 12

"Normal difficulty Strike Missions are intended to be an entry point into the world of 10-player content in Guild Wars 2. These instances are designed to be something you can tackle alongside both close friends and new allies, pitting you and nine others against jazzed-up, remixed versions of epic, exciting bosses from the Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons story."

"You heard it right on the End of Dragons First Look livestream: Challenge Mode difficulty is coming in Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons Strike Missions. Challenge Mode takes the normal difficulty Strike Missions and further expands on their mechanics, remixing them further to create even greater challenges while introducing new surprises that keep players on their toes."

Should have 3 versions of the same boss.

1. Boss in story instance
  2. Boss in normal strike
  3. Boss in CM strike

Essentially giving you easy, normal, and challenge modes of the same boss. 

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/guild-wars-2-end-of-dragons-strike-missions/

Edited by Sigmoid.7082
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Sigmoid.7082 said:

"Normal difficulty Strike Missions are intended to be an entry point into the world of 10-player content in Guild Wars 2. These instances are designed to be something you can tackle alongside both close friends and new allies, pitting you and nine others against jazzed-up, remixed versions of epic, exciting bosses from the Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons story."

"You heard it right on the End of Dragons First Look livestream: Challenge Mode difficulty is coming in Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons Strike Missions. Challenge Mode takes the normal difficulty Strike Missions and further expands on their mechanics, remixing them further to create even greater challenges while introducing new surprises that keep players on their toes."

Should have 3 versions of the same boss.

1. Boss in story instance
  2. Boss in normal strike
  3. Boss in CM strike

Essentially giving you easy, normal, and challenge modes of the same boss. 

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/guild-wars-2-end-of-dragons-strike-missions/

Thanks for posting this. I had completely missed the announcement you linked. Personally, I do not like strike missions and very much do not like being forced to do them to progress the story. However, having a range of difficulty levels does make it more palatable. At 73 years old, with a number of health issues, I am NOT looking for challenging, "git gud" content. A lot of people are looking for that though, so to me, the best approach for Anet is to offer a range of possibilities that allows folks to play on whichever level they are most comfortable with. It seems like that is what they are doing with these new strike missions and that eases my concerns about being forced to do them as part of the story.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I interpreted it as the strikes using bosses from the story, not that the strikes themselves will be required to progress the story. So the story version will be the same as other story bosses - not necessarily easy for everyone (and maybe with some mechanics you have to follow to beat it) but designed for a solo player. Then the strike version will be the same boss fight, but scaled up for more players.

I suspect the intention is that if a new/casual/less confident player sees someone asking for people to help with a strike they'll remember the name from doing the story version and either remember what to do or at least know they've beaten it before - so it seems like something they can do rather than an unfamiliar area of the game they know nothing about and probably aren't ready for.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Forgotten Legend.9281 said:

Quoted from the blog: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/guild-wars-2-end-of-dragons-strike-missions-balance-and-rewards/

Also to mention, there are 4 strikes, and they are designed for 10-player squads.

Will these be required for the story?

1) Anet has slowly learned over the years, (from Zhaitan story mode dungeon) that people want to be able to solo the story without being forced to group up. LWS2 feedback indicated that people didn't want default hard mode story episodes (imo, offering story instances a hard mode as a reward for completing normal mode is totally fine, and i recommend it). IBS showed that Anet wanted to offer season 1 style, map-wide events, but repeatable, scaleable to allow people to solo the instances for the story (these are known as dragon response missions, or DRMs)

2) with the Fractal community, many groups get together to do Challenge modes, and many Fractal groups like to speed-clear the fractals. the same can be said for strikes, after awhile, those familiar with them won't want to do normal modes for lack of rewards. this will cause problems for people trying to do the story in the future. People already complain about toxicity in raids, strikes, and fractals. those people will riot if they are forced to deal with that toxicity for STORY.

so, please give us more information about how these 10-player strikes are integrated into the story. will there be solo-modes for the story like Zhaitan dungeon and DRMs? Or will we be forced to group up for the story?

Considering IBS is a thing where they put public instances as your story instances (which was so dumb) till DS, it looks like its going to be like DS where they are as lazy as possible and use Strike missions inside the story but you solo in them for easy lazy story content, so that we all can experience strikes. 
When did they get so fixated on strikes anyway? 

• Like 4
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I interpreted it as the strikes using bosses from the story, not that the strikes themselves will be required to progress the story. So the story version will be the same as other story bosses - not necessarily easy for everyone (and maybe with some mechanics you have to follow to beat it) but designed for a solo player. Then the strike version will be the same boss fight, but scaled up for more players.

I suspect the intention is that if a new/casual/less confident player sees someone asking for people to help with a strike they'll remember the name from doing the story version and either remember what to do or at least know they've beaten it before - so it seems like something they can do rather than an unfamiliar area of the game they know nothing about and probably aren't ready for.

Yes pretty much: "You’ll be introduced to each encounter and their core mechanics as you play through the story chapter".

This directly addresses one of the point that people have brought up as to why they don't do raids of if they had an easier boss with the same mechanics then they could at least learn it so they know what to do on the more difficult versions. So instead of learning "this will be as difficult but its a different mechanic and encounter" its "this is the same mechanic you are used to just the encounter is harder".

• Like 2

It works in the exact same way as Dragonstorm. Story mission is the super easy version that gives you an idea as to how the World Boss version is gonna go down. 

EoD Story Bosses will be the super easy mode that gives you an idea as to how the boss mechanics will work for the Strike Mission if you wanna do them. Strike Missions won't be essential in any capacity with the story. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, DarcShriek.5829 said:

I don't think Anet will make the mistake of forcing players to do group content again.  The Arah dungeon didn't go over so well with many people.

More so DRM's if anything. I'd do Arah 100 times over if it meant DRM's were removed from IBS's story 

• Like 5
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Gorem.8104 said:

More so DRM's if anything. I'd do Arah 100 times over if it meant DRM's were removed from IBS's story 

The problem with DRMs was not that they were a group content (because they scale really well for solo play). The problem is that they were:

1. boring

2. practically the only content in Champions. You just kept jumping from one DRM to another with next to nothing in-between.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 5

16 hours ago, DarcShriek.5829 said:

I don't think Anet will make the mistake of forcing players to do group content again.  The Arah dungeon didn't go over so well with many people.

That's because it was a buggy mess requiring raid-level skills and co-ordination that aren't learned on the way up to 80.

Still, it sounds like every new strike is going to be like Boneskinner on steroids ("a series of pass or fail mechanical checks"), so they'll probably go down just as well. (especially when LFG fills up with groups requiring 250 proof of kills)

• Like 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

48 minutes ago, Nazarick.9653 said:

That's because it was a buggy mess requiring raid-level skills and co-ordination that aren't learned on the way up to 80.

Still, it sounds like every new strike is going to be like Boneskinner on steroids ("a series of pass or fail mechanical checks"), so they'll probably go down just as well. (especially when LFG fills up with groups requiring 250 proof of kills)

Luckily everyone is free to create their own squads with whatever requirements they want -and that includes creating the squads with no requirements at all.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

12 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

The problem with DRMs was not that they were a group content (because they scale really well for solo play). The problem is that they were:

1. boring

2. practically the only content in Champions. You just kept jumping from one DRM to another with next to nothing in-between.

Indeed.

I enjoyed most of the boss fights, but getting to the mission boss was always a drag*, especially in combination with the achievement grind. A very monotonous experience overall.

*) the only pre-event phase I enjoyed was Lake Doric for some reason, the others were, "Ugh, how much longer again?"

I am super excited for the upcoming Strikes, though, as I only recently started getting into Raids more frequently and am having tons of fun there.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, mythical.6315 said:

I'm really confused by this thread.  How is something unlocked from doing the story required to do the story?

By having to play through it once in the course of the story in order to unlock it? Also, by having to play through it on each character in order to be able to progress in the story on that char?

• Confused 8
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

By having to play through it once in the course of the story in order to unlock it? Also, by having to play through it on each character in order to be able to progress in the story on that char?

Read the OP. They think the article said strikes are required to complete the story despite the very blog they linked stating that the strikes are unlocked by completing the story. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

20 minutes ago, mythical.6315 said:

Read the OP. They think the article said strikes are required to complete the story despite the very blog they linked stating that the strikes are unlocked by completing the story. 

Uhm... I had read the OP, but you seem to be the one confused here as both statements are correct: you need to play a version (variant?) of each new strike mission during the story in order to progress the story and unlock the respective strike mission for your account.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Uhm... I had read the OP, but you seem to be the one confused here as both statements are correct: you need to play a version (variant?) of each new strike mission during the story in order to progress the story and unlock the respective strike mission for your account.

What you play during the story isn’t a strike mission. Strike missions are 10 player instanced content in case you were not aware. 

Edited by mythical.6315
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1