Pls remove the story completion requirement for Specialization weapon collection

"So you have to actually play the entire story on the specialization? You can't, for example, run the story on holosmith and rerun the final instance on mechanist?"

Actually, no. I did the final fight as a Dragonhunter because I cannot get the hang of Willbender, but right after finishing off the final boss I switched to Willbender. After I finished that story instance, I got credit for the specialization weapon. 

That said, I think this requirement to play through the whole story for the specialization weapon, even if I can do it on my preferred spec, is too onerous. I really enjoyed doing the collections in previous expansions, but I have no desire to repeat the story. 

Edited by SDSkuld.9352
Quote did not work.
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, SDSkuld.9352 said:

"So you have to actually play the entire story on the specialization? You can't, for example, run the story on holosmith and rerun the final instance on mechanist?"

Actually, no. I did the final fight as a Dragonhunter because I cannot get the hang of Willbender, but right after finishing off the final boss I switched to Willbender. After I finished that story instance, I got credit for the specialization weapon. 

That said, I think this requirement to play through the whole story for the specialization weapon, even if I can do it on my preferred spec, is too onerous. I really enjoyed doing the collections in previous expansions, but I have no desire to repeat the story. 

Ah, thanks.

Yes, I typically do the story max three times before I'm really done with it. I can't imagine doing it 9 just to get the nine weapon skins.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Slowpokeking.8720 said:

Just asking ,some collections require you to finish a certain instance, can you use others' story instance to do it?

No it have to be your own instance, you dont have to be the new spec tho just the same base class as the spec.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Slowpokeking.8720 said:

Just asking ,some collections require you to finish a certain instance, can you use others' story instance to do it?

You can for ones that are shared with strikes but it doesn't really matter since it doesn't work with the final instance.

8 hours ago, Slowpokeking.8720 said:

You can, but only if you are on that story step yourself. You can't just join an instance if you haven't played the story up to that point on the character.

I've been playing story with friends, and we all got achievement completion just fine, no matter who opened the instance. We all were on the same story stop though, just going into any instance that's not your personal active story step doesn't work.

• Like 2

Begging for this, ANet.  Doing the story 9 times?  Nope, won't do it.  I will forego the collections instead.

How many people would read the same book 9 times or watch the same semi-boring movie 9 times?  (So far I'm not a huge fan of the story; first chapter (ship/prison) was OK but since then I literally walk away while the dialogue goes on and on.)

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Witch of Doom.5739 said:

Begging for this, ANet.  Doing the story 9 times?  Nope, won't do it.  I will forego the collections instead.

How many people would read the same book 9 times or watch the same semi-boring movie 9 times?  (So far I'm not a huge fan of the story; first chapter (ship/prison) was OK but since then I literally walk away while the dialogue goes on and on.)

special mention to Joon Mansion puzzle lolz, puzzle aside, have fights extremely unfriend to "low intesity builds"..... But look at good side: ppl  will memorize the puzzle from doing it so much. LOLZZ.

Edited by ugrakarma.9416
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Null Hypothesis.5374 said:

Yeah, I suspect this won't get changed as it only affects those amongst us mad enough to do all of the collections, but it'd be nice if they offered up an alternative way of getting the required item. Doing the story 9 times does seem a bit much.

Anyway, back to trying to catch the mega prawn.... *sigh*

Yeah,  and hope they also make some change to the requirement that need you to finish a story instance/strike mission, make us be able to enter others' story instance and do it.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2022 at 6:44 AM, The Boz.2038 said:

Some classes (Mesmer, Revenant) need to do the DE meta for their espec collection.

Yeah, this needs to be changed imo. I don’t think it’s fair to lock two profession elite spec weapons behind the DE meta.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

This is as bad design as it gets. Honestly. How is it even remotely interesting or even beneficial to the game to force people to do this story 9 (YES, NINE) times? I can understand trying to catch a particular fish, finishing a particular meta or a map. 

But. Story. 9. Times. Is . Just. Too. Much. I sincerely hope this gets changed.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Voltekka.2375 said:

This is as bad design as it gets. Honestly. How is it even remotely interesting or even beneficial to the game to force people to do this story 9 (YES, NINE) times? I can understand trying to catch a particular fish, finishing a particular meta or a map. 

But. Story. 9. Times. Is . Just. Too. Much. I sincerely hope this gets changed.

I'm guessing they did it to keep players playing the new content, which is ironic because it's actually driving me away.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, Witch of Doom.5739 said:

I'm guessing they did it to keep players playing the new content, which is ironic because it's actually driving me away.

I'd rather see the espec-specific sub-collections added requiring you to complete some events, find some items around EoD zones and so on. Keeps people playing in new zones instead of closing them off in single-player instances and isn't that repetitive, considering each espec would have -at least partially- different collections. Not as easy as pasting "complete the same story 9 times" though 😄

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 6
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, Neo Mortem.3627 said:

If we didn't have the story completion, we'd have to craft like one or two expensive weapons, do a meta for a rare drop on a weapon or try to buy said weapon for a high price on the TP. 

except story completion takes like 10hrs+, at 20g/h would be 200g+, mystic weapons are 80g at best now

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

So is it the final fight that triggers it? I played through the story on my Holosmith and forgot about trying to switch it to Mechanist right at the end. So I replayed the Cycle Reborn, both the arborstone celebration and the small gathering afterward, but no credit. I take it I really need to do the final fight of The Only One to actually get the collection item?

• Confused 2