Pls remove the story completion requirement for Specialization weapon collection

1 minute ago, Sobx.1758 said:

They might be faster, but they're linear, while in wvw you at least decide what you're doing and basically "create your content" (alongside your enemies). I don't think people would have a problem with "replaying the story" if the story was different almost every time they ""replay"" it.

Also unlike the vanilla story, you cannot skip most of the dialogue and it requires you to do some hearts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When doing the final boss fight for the story, I typed a better story in /say just to feel better. I had my character actually say stuff they should have said during the story, to make it make more sense then the story we got. It felt epic when I finished to actually fight the final boss, had time cause if you don't rez Kas that section doesn't continue like most of the story of EoD that can be AFK'd. Oh the story I made would have been great to play through but at least it made the final boss feel epic instead of a chore. 

The thing is, EoD story is like, 75% un-skippable dialogue you alt-tab and watch Netflix through. 5% of it is hearts you might have to actually pay attention for once and a house event that is really buggy - that and the end movement was all that was physically required actually being in the game for. as the other 20% was just strikes in the story. You can alt tab through most fights as the NPC's do them for you. When I entered Arborstone I alt-tabbed for awhile, came back and the boss was dead. EoD story is the worst story GW2 has ever seen. 

And they want you to alt tab through it nine times? The power of the Alt-Tab as my character spams skip in /say until the game stops them due to spam. 
I don't care much for skins and honestly wouldn't have completed this story if it wasn't a requirement for masteries. But totally understand the collectors frustrations, not even to mention 2 classes need successful completions of the worst meta the game has ever seen in DE. 

• Like 4

Hard agree on this. I would say I'd be okay to play throught the story 8 more times if I can skip the dialog but I can't and many story instances are nothing more than dialog. Anet needs to realized that their writer team is not G. R. R. Martin or CD Project Red. I saw the story once - there are no choices, no different paths, no changes based on class or race. This is my personal preference, but 80% of it is dialog gives me brain tumor of how juvenile it is. There is nothing that would remotely justify to play thought this badly paced mess more than a single time.

Unlock the story achievement on every collection after we completed it once and it will be totally okay.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I can't imagine what kind of self-flagellating masochist would choose to go through that story more than once.

Beaides the unskippable dialogs that I honestly don't care about, you have at least, overall, an hour of just walking. Slowly. As you follow an NPC. You can someimes run ahead, but you have to wait for them.

And I can't count the number of times an NPC was speaking to me about...something (I don't care - I've erased the banality from my memory bank)....and there's another loud conversation going on in the background at the same time. To be honest, I actually lol'd over that - so I did get some enjoyment, I suppose.

FInally finsihed the story, died once because I stopped paying attention for reasons. Will never, ever do it again. 

The completionist in me had to do the story though; however, I won't go back and do map completion in Echovald, or Dragon's End. It was painful enough completing Kaineng and all it's dead ends. Thank the lord for the Skyscale.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, misterman.1530 said:

I can't imagine what kind of self-flagellating masochist would choose to go through that story more than once.

Beaides the unskippable dialogs that I honestly don't care about, you have at least, overall, an hour of just walking. Slowly. As you follow an NPC. You can someimes run ahead, but you have to wait for them.

And I can't count the number of times an NPC was speaking to me about...something (I don't care - I've erased the banality from my memory bank)....and there's another loud conversation going on in the background at the same time. To be honest, I actually lol'd over that - so I did get some enjoyment, I suppose.

FInally finsihed the story, died once because I stopped paying attention for reasons. Will never, ever do it again. 

The completionist in me had to do the story though; however, I won't go back and do map completion in Echovald, or Dragon's End. It was painful enough completing Kaineng and all it's dead ends. Thank the lord for the Skyscale.

DE's map completion is quite easy since there are no hearts.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gorem.8104 said:

The thing is, EoD story is like, 75% un-skippable dialogue you alt-tab and watch Netflix through.

Fie on your Netflix-watching time-wasting, you Philistine, you!  While the story dialog was droning on and on (and especially during that tram tour of ... something... somewhere) I was productively fixing lunch, throwing a load of laundry in the washer, feeding the cat, and other IRL chores.  Gotta put that time to good use.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, misterman.1530 said:

I won't go back and do map completion in Echovald, or Dragon's End. It was painful enough completing Kaineng and all it's dead ends.

Most of it comes down to the route and making good use of the mounts, jade WP, and position rewinder.  For the hearts, it about knowing all of the tasks that progress it and which are the most efficient.

• Like 2

I am 99% PVE and love the story. I did both HoT and PoF three or four times each because I enjoyed it. I really want those collections but no way I am grinding the story nine times. I will get two or three of my favs. Then come back to the story next year when at a lull. 9 times is over doing it. 

• Like 2

Guesss i'm the weirdo/self-flagellating masochistfor replaying story on different races and gender to hear how each VAs perform

And, again, i'm must be the weirdo/self-flagellating masochist who only find that worthy of a replay

But i have to admit the unskipple dialogue is wearing me out.

• Like 1

Normally I go for the specialization achievements quickly (skins + ascended weapons = good) but have no plan on that this time. I liked the story well enough but cannot imagine doing it 8 more times, especially on classes I don't like. One, maybe two, others for easier story achievements but I'm not going to spend 9 x ~12 = 108 hours on it. I already spent about 50 hours on DE trying to win one time (and the goggles bugged out =/ ), I'm not spending another hundred plus hours on grinding out content I have no interest in.

I actually wonder if Anet is recording and reporting on the "engagement" of players by putting in such grinds as this sort of thing is a tactic used in shady and predatory games as a way to pump up numbers while burning players out. The story's fine but attempting to force people to repeat it 8 more times is extreme and will only turn players off of both the story and the game.

I never thought I'd say this but I prefer the DRM grind because it was faster. So much faster.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, Zephire.8049 said:

I actually wonder if Anet is recording and reporting on the "engagement" of players by putting in such grinds as this sort of thing is a tactic used in shady and predatory games as a way to pump up numbers while burning players out. The story's fine but attempting to force people to repeat it 8 more times is extreme and will only turn players off of both the story and the game.

I never thought I'd say this but I prefer the DRM grind because it was faster. So much faster.

Well, https://mmo-population.com/r/guildwars2 has the regular daily population of GW2 at 300k with a spike to 600k when EoD launched. Now it's back to 300k. If these numbers are in any way accurate, that's not a good sign. Player engagement seems to be waning. Again, not sure how accurate these numbers are, and since Anet never reports official numbers, I wonder, like you, if they are "recording and reporting on the engagement of players"...

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, misterman.1530 said:

Well, https://mmo-population.com/r/guildwars2 has the regular daily population of GW2 at 300k with a spike to 600k when EoD launched. Now it's back to 300k. If these numbers are in any way accurate, that's not a good sign. Player engagement seems to be waning. Again, not sure how accurate these numbers are, and since Anet never reports official numbers, I wonder, like you, if they are "recording and reporting on the engagement of players"...

It’s not accurate at all as they base their numbers off Reddit subscribers. 

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

I'd like to also point out that you have to do the story just to make the Legendaries because you have to buy the recipes with the Tales of Adventures, an item only given with completion of a story chapter.

I'm personally not in a rush for these weapons anyway seeing how most of my characters are still in the Personal Story despite being level 80 (maybe I shouldn't max level them right away anymore lol...).

so ALL my collections are at 12/14 now (missing story & the mystic forge one)

if this doesn't change, i MIGHT do the story with engi and mesmer (for achieves too), but definitely not the others

most of the skins arent anything special and takes way too long, considering you can craft/stat change most ascended for less than 40g

• Like 1

I'm honestly fine with doing the story on each character. It's obvious they did this to make players collect more of those legendary crafting items to put into the market.

My problem with this is that some instances bug meaning I have to restart and sit through dialogue. There are a couple classes I really don't want to play. I want their weapon skins so I put up with it.

Edited by Eloc Freidon.5692

On 3/19/2022 at 7:10 PM, Neo Mortem.3627 said:

I'd like to also point out that you have to do the story just to make the Legendaries because you have to buy the recipes with the Tales of Adventures, an item only given with completion of a story chapter.

I'm personally not in a rush for these weapons anyway seeing how most of my characters are still in the Personal Story despite being level 80 (maybe I shouldn't max level them right away anymore lol...).

You can just buy them off the TP.