Turtle mount requires strike mission?

13 hours ago, Obliviscaris.6937 said:

I've reached Dragon's End, and not one single time were strike missions even referred to  in the slightest throughout the story, even in the way that they were introduced during the Icebrood Saga (which I quite like, as I happen to like Strike Missions). But don't go telling people they're a core component. Because they really aren't.

EDIT: For context, this is like saying that sPvP is a core part of the expansion. There's actually no difference in saying this. 
Strike Missions should have been introduced organically, but they weren't.  

They are literally part of the main story.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

I'm personally okay with the achievement requiring you to do a strike mission, especially when the strike is one of the easier ones. If it required you to do Harvest Temple strike then I could see more people complaining. All the runs I been on for the Kaineng Overlook strike has been pugs and we learned as we went and cleared it with at most 5 players being killed. Just be patient with the strike and if you never want to do strikes again afterwards then that's fine.

Edited by Kantharr.2308
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

15 minutes ago, AlCapwnd.7834 said:

They are literally part of the main story.

If you want to make the argument that "story missions are strikes" then they should count as such. Otherwise you're implying that there is a meaningful difference between them which would render the "it's the same thing" objection invalid.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

Just now, Tails.9372 said:

If you want to make the argument that "story missions are strikes" then they should count as such. Otherwise you're implying that there is a meaningful difference between them which would render the "it's the same thing" objection invalid.

Huh? No argument. I just said that the strikes are based of the main story. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

3 minutes ago, AlCapwnd.7834 said:

Huh? No argument. I just said that the strikes are based of the main story. 

Being "a part of" and being "based on" something are two completely different things as the former implies that the main story requires you to play strikes while the later does not.

• Like 3
  • Confused 4

Just now, Tails.9372 said:

Being "a part of" and being "based on" something are two completely different things as the former implies that the main story requires you to play strikes while the later does not.

You're thinking way to much into this my friend. Just enjoy the game. 😃 its fun.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

On 3/16/2022 at 6:47 PM, raykor.6723 said:

I realize some people like learning all the mechanics of raid fights but that sort of content just doesn't interest me.

you know, there is one item called gift of battle (GoB), obtainable only in WvW. So, if you just play PvE and want to craft some legendaries, oh boy, swallow up and go waste time on something you don't like for HOURS minimum. This alone is THE ONLY reason i don't do legendaries, i don't like WvW and nothing will change that. Same thing with doing strikes because of turtle. If they really change that, i'm gonna scream so loud to change gift of battle too. BTW new legendaries also requires GoB, so i already know im not gonna get those. Nothing will force me to play there.

Funny enough, gift of mastery (correct me if im wrong) is used for legendary armor and you can buy this easly in PVE for tokens. buying tokes also takes time sure, but at least i dont have to do something i despise. I don't get it why we can't do the same for GoB. 

They can clearly change those things. (new way to obtain turtle).

• Confused 1

On 3/16/2022 at 7:02 PM, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

I gotta go and find the guy I laughed at for saying people will now complain about the Strike and apologize to them.

Indeed. 200 map currency is already a joke, it's nothing. Now people also want to not have to do another challenging piece of content.

Why not serve the Siege Turtle for free on a silver platter, with a cherry on top of it? :classic_rolleyes:

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 3
  • Confused 3

Just now, Ashantara.8731 said:

Indeed. 200 map currency is already a joke, it's nothing. Now people also want to not have to do another challenging piece of content. Why not serve the Siege Turtle on a silver plate, with a cherry on top of it? :classic_rolleyes:

On Monday someone made a thread asking for a title for those who got the turtle the ""original"" way, by doing the meta. Even though I got my turtle on the 4th I was happy with these changes, since a Guildmate could get the turtle without all the hassle involved in the meta. I made joke of that thread twice in the responses.

Now after running my mouth about getting people through the Strike and doing Kaineng like 4 times a day for absolutely no rewards just so people can get it done for their turtle... I'm starting to symphatize with the person who made the thread... 

I got burnt out of trying to help people through this Strike, like, I don't care if you slap Li twice then get ran over by the Canthan Orient Express disguised as a Strike boss. Just don't say a thing, don't go "this takes ages" while lying dead on the ground and more importantly don't rage quit from the Strike you joined for your turtle. 

3 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Why not serve the Siege Turtle for free on a silver plate, with a cherry on top of it?

Honestly surprised that a turtle sundae wasn't one of the first skins they tried to sell.

Here's the thing though, people aren't asking for stuff in EoD to be free, they're asking for access to major expansion features to be on par with what's been offered in previous expansions or, with regard to the turtle specifically, a method of getting it that's 'comparable to the roller beetle' since that's what ArenaNet told them it would be before they laid their money down. I certainly didn't 1-1-1 my way through HoT or PoF, and I don't think anyone expected that in EoD either, but we also weren't expecting... whatever's going on currently.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

The strike mission is not for casual players. I've tried it.  Most casuals do not have ascended gear. When you die, that's it. And only 10 players to start with. Casuals are not prepared for this.  It's hard to see what to do with so much stuff on the screen.

And this after waiting for a long time to get a mission. Then watching to see whether the remainders are going to be able to finish the mission in spite of the losses.

So, is this fun? No. Anet will lose people over this.

I noted, by the way, that some of the people advertising a group were speaking in the jargon and abbreviations that only a raider would know. Between that and the lack of ascended gear, Strike missions really shut out casual players.

Edited by Almaden.6782
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

7 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Indeed. 200 map currency is already a joke, it's nothing. Now people also want to not have to do another challenging piece of content.

Why not serve the Siege Turtle for free on a silver plate, with a cherry on top of it? :classic_rolleyes:

You mean the way we got all other mounts in the game?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

12 hours ago, morsdood.1987 said:

I'm sure you can find someone who will happily carry you through it for 500mc

Alternatively maybe just give it a go and you'll see it's nowhere near as hard or involved as you seem to think it is

Gave it more than one try. You obviously are not aware of the gulf between equipped elite players and casuals.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

I certainly didn't 1-1-1 my way through HoT or PoF, and I don't think anyone expected that in EoD either, but we also weren't expecting... whatever's going on currently.

Okay, I get your point: people had different expectations and now are feeling let down.

I'd just like to point out, once more, that this is the least appealing of all existing mounts. It doesn't do **** to assist you in exploring maps on your own, which is what people do 99% of the time -- it is too big, too slow, too impractical all around, it doesn't have any skills that help you explore or fight on your own. This mount is merely a two-player taxi. Only when you have a cannoneer it is of any real use, and even then only under certain circumstances.

Therefore, this incredibly exaggerated drama over the past two weeks has been pointless in my eyes.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Okay, I get your point: people had different expectations and now are feeling let down.

I'd just like to point out, once more, that this is the least appealing of all existing mounts. It doesn't do **** to assist you in exploring maps on your own, which is what people do 99% of the time -- it is too big, too slow, too impractical all around, it doesn't have any skills that help you explore or fight on your own. This mount is merely a two-player taxi. Only when you have a cannoneer it is of any real use, and even then only under certain circumstances.

Therefore, this incredibly exaggerated drama over the past two weeks has been pointless in my eyes.

I totally understand that you don't see a lot of value in the turtle, and therefore don't understand why people care enough to register their complaints. I also want to say that I appreciate your contributions to this forum as one of the people who writes calmly and thoughtfully.

I did have fun on the turtle during the beta in Lake Doric. I enjoyed my son raining down fire on those pesky mesmers while I drove. The stomp cleared Jade Cannon force fields significantly faster than our skill CC, which was also fun. Something about the turtle is also appealling to my 13 year old daughter in that particular way pets call to the souls of 13 year old girls.

And yet. Even though I've been repeatedly defending the position that this open world feature shouldn't be locked behind instanced group content, I'm not in a rage about it. My frequent posts are a result of my love of this game and a lot of little bits of time while I am waiting for a computer to render out things I've created.

Beyond the turtle and tier 3 gliding boost and rescue protocol being locked behind strikes, I'm more concerned about what that indicates going forward. I can ignore the turtle. The gliding boost is a nice little tool, but does nothing for me that I can't do with my skyscale. But if they are symptoms of a design direction to which ArenaNet is wholly committed, then by a death of a thousand paper cuts, so to speak, I don't see my family's time in the game lasting a lot longer.

At the moment, I've chosen to stop spending any more money on the game, not because we desperately need the siege turtle or tier 3 bot upgrades, but because a game that locks more than cosmetics behind instanced group content doesn't fit my family's interests. I'm waiting to see if ArenaNet will keep heading down this path.

And I post in these threads for the same reason. If we slowly stop playing as well as stop paying, I want it to be as clear as I can make it to ArenaNet why that happened for at least these three players.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Gibson.4036 said:

[...]

You have a valid point there. If I was in awe over the Siege Turtle and not someone who likes to engage in endgame content, I'd probably felt "betrayed" as well.

I also agree that ArenaNet should have seen this coming and should have approached the acquisition of the Turtle differently (or made a proper announcement beforehand). I wouldn't have minded had they put a different unique reward behind the DE meta.

P.S. Thank you for your kind words. 🙂

• Like 8

On 3/18/2022 at 6:57 AM, Ashantara.8731 said:

I'd like to thank you for this post and I mean that literally.  Exploring maps on my own is indeed what I do probably 90% of the time, plus HoT metas and a few minutes of WvW here and there for dailies towards GoB.  My trying to get the Siege Turtle would be a waste of my game time and resources.  So thanks for helping me to make my decision to forget about it.  I've seen other players using it of course and I think it looks ugly and clunky.  Skyscale forever!

Edited a year+ later to add:  I changed my mind and decided to go for the turtle for completion's sake, but cannot bring myself to do the Strike Mission because I hate Strikes.  I'd really hoped by now that there would have been an alternate method of acquiring that one part.  So I guess it will remain nothing but a giant annoying turtle following me around Arborstone.

Edited by Witch of Doom.5739
updated
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2