Suggestion: The Fourth Expansion.

Very pleased to hear about 4th expansion.  

Here are some ideas.

A. Location

1. It should be an expanded, revamped Underworld.  The 2 warring factions should be Menzies (if he was dead, do not recall a confirmation of this, then resurrect him) and Palawa Joko (since Balthazar is dead, and should stay dead IMHO).

The method to gain entry into the revamped Underworld is defeating the Shadow Behemoth in Queensdale in a specific, novel way...which leads to a temporary portal opening to the revamped Underworld.

B. Key maps to include.

1. Restored presearing Ascalon.  Will provide lore closure to Adelbern and Rurik.  Conflict driving map: Ascalon versus Charr.

2. Restored, pre-Kralkatorrik Kodash Bazaar.  Provide some humorous lore closure to the fate of the 3 Vabbian princes, Ahmtur, Bokka and Mehtu.  Conflict driving map: The three princes warring against each other.

3. Restored Raisu Palace.  Conflict driving map: the battle between Shiro Tagachi and Emperor Kisu rages beyond death.

4. Restored Orr.  Orr in all its glory before Vizier Khilbron and the Cataclysm.  Conflict driving map: King Reza versus Vizier Khilbron.
C. Enemy AI to focus on.
Assemble groups or 'parties' of enemy npcs that have specialized roles as found in GW1. Such a composition will add a level of strategy to the combat when taking down groups.
D. Core expansion features.
1. Mercenaries - Allow players to designate alternate characters to be AI controlled party members.

2. Vanquishing - bring back hardmode map clears as found in GW1 and of course add the requisite reward system.
E. New elite specs for every profession. 
Because of course.  Do not be afraid to take a weapon from the core profession and turn it into the new elite spec's weapon...ie hammer for warrior.
F. Primary Antagonists
Both Menzies and Palawa Joko.  Another possibility could be whoever is leading the new void creatures to be a third unforseen antagonist who is disrupting the Underworld and time as a whole.
G. Final Boss Meta.
Players capture and hold a fortress.  Notable Tyrian heroes assist, ie Turai Ossa, Prince Rurik, and Master Togo. Then, on opposing sides of the fortress, the full forces of Menzies (western side of fortress) and Palawa Joko (eastern side of fortress) converge on your fortress.  Their forces include mobile siege, large beasts, as we as mounted warriors.  Keep the fortress defenses alive (a damage bar signifying health of fortress cannot be fully diminished, lest the meta fails), survive and defeat the armies, then face both Menzies and Palawa Joko at the same time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 13
  • Sad 1

I have an even better idea, taken straight from Steve Danuser notebook! In the next expansion we discover that there are even elderer dragons than the elder dragons and we will now have to hunt down and kill the elderer dragons before they wake up the elderest dragon. It's fool proof!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 13
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Just now, Mortime.1359 said:

I have an even better idea, taken straight from Steve Danuser notebook! In the next expansion we discover that there are even elderer dragons than the elder dragons and we will now have to hunt down and kill the elderer dragons before they wake up the elderest dragon. It's fool proof!

When we learn that Soo-Wan was actually grandgrandgrand daughter.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

If we want to talk potential expansion settings, I'd like to see Dominion of Winds (maybe with some additional locations in the ocean if the Dominion isn't big enough by itself) with playable tengu.

If a new playable race isn't in the cards, then how about expansions focused on one of the current playable races? HoT had a sylvari focus, and PoF and EoD (from what I've played so far of EoD) have a human focus, so let's do one focused on one of the other races.

Both asura and norn lend themselves to similar stories: with their respective dragons dead, both races are starting to recolonize their ancestral homelands. The settlers stumble across some new big threat, and the Commander needs to ride to the rescue. Asura give us an expansion in the Depths, while the norn would give us more of the Far Shiverpeaks.

Charr don't really have a 'resettling lost lands' angle, but you could still have some new threat emerging from the east, and the Commander needing to travel deeper into charr lands to deal with it. Ascalon is Iron Legion territory, and Grothmar Valley gave us a taste of the Blood Legion's lands, so maybe do an expansion set in the Ash Legion's territory.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

19 minutes ago, mythical.6315 said:

I want the next expansion to cover a region not covered in GW1.  

How about we go further west?

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/thumb/a/ac/Tyria_world_fan_map.jpg/1200px-Tyria_world_fan_map.jpg

What a great idea!  While I'm usually all about the nostalgia, revisiting Cantha and the upcoming return to LS1 should scratch that itch.  I agree that it's time to see someplace completely new.

• Like 2

My one suggestion for expansion 4 is to lower the stakes.

Give us a personal villain. Limit their threat to a region, at most, instead of yet again facing the end of the world or the very fabric of the universe.

Do everything you can to resist solving story problems with a spur of the moment technological breakthrough. Similarly, avoid making us "ascend" or carry the divine fire or channel our dragon's magic to solve things by temporarily becoming demi-gods.

Make the next GW2 story relatable.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

Let's see, we've got tropical jungle, soutwest North American desert, generic European fantasy plains, alpine, volcanic island, North African desert, East Asian island, old growth forest, and arid plains.

What kind of biome would people want to see next?

What about a bayou kind of area? We have areas like Godslost Swamp and Michoan Marsh, but they're small portions of zones. What about a swamp region over several zones? It'd give us more use for skiffs and fishing with the predominance of water.

If they do revamp underwater combat, a zone of extensive coral reef could be sweet.

• Like 6

58 minutes ago, mythical.6315 said:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/thumb/a/ac/Tyria_world_fan_map.jpg/1200px-Tyria_world_fan_map.jpg

Agreed. I am an enormous GW1 fan, but we have been to all places I love. I always wonder what is going on on that big island on the west. Or even the east mainland looks so kitten big we havent even covered half of it.

• Like 5

I'm very against other realms/time travel. theres a lots of interesting places in tyria to explore yet, like janthir isles.

Time travel is the cheapest plots normally happens when writers run out of creativity or the base lore has accumulated so many contradictions that only "big resets" with time travel can put things in place and make lore a bit more organized(like Mortal Kombat plot).

Edited by ugrakarma.9416
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheWaternymphHC.1847 said:

Can we please not have these sorts of threads for the next three to five years until the next expansion actually gets unveiled? Or at least post them on sites like reddit or mmo-champion, where that sort of stuff belongs.

These kind of threads very much belong on these forums. If you dislike them then simply ignore them. 

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, WRay.2391 said:

Idea: you enter new expansion map without coordinated 50 ppl squad and insta-die from unavoidable mechanics. Everybody will love it.

Lets make it a split phase requiring 2 squads of 50 so 100 coordinated people! Double or Nothing!

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Kayberz.5346 said:

As if they dont already have the location of the 4th expansion set in stone.

Thats not how this works, they wouldn't be confirming a 4th expansion if it wasn't already decided what it will be

While this is certainly accurate, the devs still might read here and take a few inspirations from those suggestions. Never say never.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

My one suggestion for expansion 4 is to lower the stakes.

Give us a personal villain. Limit their threat to a region, at most, instead of yet again facing the end of the world or the very fabric of the universe.

Do everything you can to resist solving story problems with a spur of the moment technological breakthrough. Similarly, avoid making us "ascend" or carry the divine fire or channel our dragon's magic to solve things by temporarily becoming demi-gods.

Make the next GW2 story relatable.

The reason why Dragon Age 2 is my favorite Bioware story - it focus more on personal, local stakes instead of universe-ending dimension-spamming god-killing stakes.

All the constant epic-style stuff gets old, and trying to constantly "out-epic" the previous storybeat leads to absurdity.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I posted this in another thread already but here it is again-

Considering some of the story elements/dialogue and direction etc in EOD, I would expect the the 4th expansion to be something like this -

Tyria is facing disastrous climate change with [Aetherblades/dredge/insert recycled antagonists here] cutting down forests for some reason. 

Charr factories spewing out CO2 are making it worse and their leadership believe climate change is a hoax.

At the same time a virulent poison plague spread by some doctor is decimating populations and conflict erupts between those that are willing to take condition reduction potions and those that believe the potions will exert mind control over them somehow.

Protests erupt all over Tyria in support of and against action on climate change and a movement begins in support of SLM (skritt lives matter).

Our intrepid commander and [insert preferred pronoun here] guild mates must navigate though all this and save the world yet again while as a side quest [insert preferred pronoun here] saves a critically endangered species of choya.

• Confused 4

54 minutes ago, jamesg.7128 said:

I posted this in another thread already but here it is again-

Considering some of the story elements/dialogue and direction etc in EOD, I would expect the the 4th expansion to be something like this -

Tyria is facing disastrous climate change with [Aetherblades/dredge/insert recycled antagonists here] cutting down forests for some reason. 

Charr factories spewing out CO2 are making it worse and their leadership believe climate change is a hoax.

At the same time a virulent poison plague spread by some doctor is decimating populations and conflict erupts between those that are willing to take condition reduction potions and those that believe the potions will exert mind control over them somehow.

Protests erupt all over Tyria in support of and against action on climate change and a movement begins in support of SLM (skritt lives matter).

Our intrepid commander and [insert preferred pronoun here] guild mates must navigate though all this and save the world yet again while as a side quest [insert preferred pronoun here] saves a critically endangered species of choya.

No.  I'm sure there are a lot of players who play this game to get away from things going on in the real world.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

For me I'm all yes for exploration of never discovered land of Tyria. everytime I open the map in game, I see that huge mass of land at East that is mocking me 😛. Oh ! and "that" Island at full west...

Also the Malyck case anyone ?

Edited by Mithrilos.8036
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, mythical.6315 said:

I think growing beyond the legacy of GW1 would be a great idea. It could end, or at least side-line, all of the, "this area was done better in GW1," (valid IMO) complaints.