The Gates of Arah Defense Event

15 minutes ago, DarcShriek.5829 said:

No, under no situation is successfully completing an event trolling.  The trolls in this case are the devs.  Of course, this is assuming that reports that the step can only be repeated with a failing event.

That's just silly.

This is the refuge of every bully ever. "It's allowed, so it's not wrong."

By all means, people should do the event. But if they are doing it just to irritate others, they are still trolls.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

Anet has made it pretty clear time and time again that events are not meant to be failed.

The problem isn't players completing events as intended, it is the Orr metas not being updated to reset after the Megaserver was implemented.

The simplest solution would probably be a 15 min timer and then closing the maps, like in Dragon's Stand, but I would prefer an actual reset like in Verdant Brink, with a fixed schedule and  the defense events moved to the night time so they always happen, and so players always know when they can find the event they need.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ogwom.7940 said:

Nope, not true. As I said, you there are tolls who are waiting multiple hours to make the defense event succeed, and then gaslighitng people in map chat. 

Of course no kidding thee will be people who aren't trolls. And when I tell them to stop doing the event, they stop. The trolls don't do that, and go on long tangents for multiple hours in chat while ruining every single defense event that sprouts. The SAME EXACT people do it.

If you and the 2 other guys above want to not believe me and call me a liar and that these aren't trolls. Go ahead. But at least come to Cursed Shore before you do that. I invite you to come right now. Many people will disagree with you.

It does not matter how many people agree or disagree, completing content as it is designed to be played is not trolling.

• Like 6
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

Agreed.

I blame anet for not having an option to report griefing, which is exactly what these people, and one in particular, is doing. He knows it messes up the event, laughs about it in map chat and does it over and over because it's allowed. This isn't a case of someone not realizing they are breaking the event, it's 100% intentional. To me, that's griefing. And there is no option to report griefing. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

Gaslighting other players and bragging about preventing them in succeeding at a task certainly is not behavior which is beneficial to the game and should not be defended or condoned. Completing events on the other hand is a perfectly fine practice and in most cases the "intended" approach to content both in terms of reward payout as well as logical progression.

Meanwhile the fault lies almost entirely with the developers here. This situation is not new. We were here before with many of the tier 1 precursor achievements. Changes were made back then to better align recommended tasks with actual realistic to be expected game play. It's unfortunate that the wheel needs to get reinvented once again.

Let's hope this gets adjusted down the road and notes are made about giving players multiple avenues to complete certain achievement steps without encouraging or requiring intentional failure of events.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, mindlord.3147 said:

Has Anet even addressed this yet? I and 40 other ppl just had to sit thru another gate defense succeed by one player who knew very what they were doing and bragged about trolling us.

My guess is that if we don’t see anything tomorrow  then it will be with the next patch in a couple of weeks. Or possibly much later if it’s deemed not an issue worth resolving at this time. 

2 hours ago, Ogwom.7940 said:

Nope, not true. As I said, you there are tolls who are waiting multiple hours to make the defense event succeed, and then gaslighitng people in map chat.

Every time Anet makes that mistake the very same things happen.

1. The group of players want to do the new collections/achieves, and so goes in in order to wait for the defence event to fail

2. at the same time a number of players on the same map are playing the game the usual way, often not even knowing there's a new collection or what it requires.

3. The players from the first group get angry at the players from the second group

4. Words get exchanged, often very heated ones.

5. someone from group 2 takes offense, and decides to stick around in order to "pay back" people that just called him names.

6. someone from group 1 comes to foums/reddit complaining about trolls.

7. Meanwhile, the real cause of everything is short memory of Anet's devs that do not seem to learn on past mistakes.

Funny how that works.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1

45 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Every time Anet makes that mistake the very same things happen.

1. The group of players want to do the new collections/achieves, and so goes in in order to wait for the defence event to fail

2. at the same time a number of players on the same map are playing the game the usual way, often not even knowing there's a new collection or what it requires.

3. The players from the first group get angry at the players from the second group

4. Words get exchanged, often very heated ones.

5. someone from group 2 takes offense, and decides to stick around in order to "pay back" people that just called him names.

6. someone from group 1 comes to foums/reddit complaining about trolls.

7. Meanwhile, the real cause of everything is short memory of Anet's devs that do not seem to learn on past mistakes.

Funny how that works.

Nope, not how that happened. That is your personal interpretation. You somehow don't want to beleive that there are actually toxic people in GW2. 

There are people (the same exact people. I have names) literally waiting 6-8 hours for multiple events just to fail the event. At the same time they are saying in map chat and gaslighting players. 

If you would have actually read my comments, you would see that I stated this already, AND that the people NOT trolling will be apologetic and stop doing the event. I have NO problem with those people, as they had no knowledge prior. 

I have an issue with TROLLS who are trolling the event. You should actually go there in real time before saying I am a liar and that there are no trolls. Most of you guys, go wait 8 hours. I openly invite you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 5

You guys are openly denying me and saying I am a liar, when so many people are being held back because of a few trolls who have been there for at least 10 hours, bragging in chat how they are trolling. The same exact people. Have fun waiting like I did because of them.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 7

2 hours ago, Karna.6021 said:

I blame anet for not having an option to report griefing, which is exactly what these people, and one in particular, is doing. He knows it messes up the event, laughs about it in map chat and does it over and over because it's allowed. This isn't a case of someone not realizing they are breaking the event, it's 100% intentional. To me, that's griefing. And there is no option to report griefing. 

Yes, blame ANet for putting rewards behind event failure. Completing content as designed is  not griefing, but taunts in map chat might be.

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Like 6
  • Confused 2

11 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

Yes, blame ANet for putting rewards behind event failure. Completing content as designed is  ot griefing, but taunts in map chat might be.

It is griefing. They are in map chat stating they will do it again. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

14 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

How is playing an event as intended considered trolling?  As has been said in this thread, the fault lies with Anet, not other players.

So apparently you are saying that 3 players who stayed for at least 10 hours straight, intentionally  completing the defense event and then bragging of how they are trolling, while being condescending to and gaslighting  other players who begged them to stop, is not considering "trolling"? 

Yes, events are intended to be completed, and this one was on ANet for not making the last item of the collection obtainable form both the Defense AND the capture events. I already said this in my post, and I will not repeat this again.

Regardless, not of that changes the fact that there are people out there with malicious intent. To deny that this never happens is ridiculous and absurd, as it obviously happens everywhere, all the time in the world.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

Emphasizing that the ultimate fault lies with ArenaNet.

One of their core game design philosophies is that you should always be happy to see another player in the open world.  As demonstrated by the bickering in this thread, ArenaNet broke this pillar.  

It's disappointing that they don't QA to ensure that their core game design philosophies aren't broken by new content.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Rogue.8235 said:

One of their core game design philosophies is that you should always be happy to see another player in the open world.  As demonstrated by the bickering in this thread, ArenaNet broke this pillar.  

It's disappointing that they don't QA to ensure that their core game design philosophies aren't broken by new content.

So much this.

• Like 4

Two large groups of people finally got this step done. How? One was when new build released and a fresh map opened. Hours later after the SAME trolls were there and blocked yet another one, a fresh map opened and we all got it finished.  That is the only reason anyone got theirs done today. And that event was a lot more fun than the defend one was.

You can beat it to death that they were playing as intended and did nothing wrong but the trolling in map chat and say coming from them and the frustrated base just made it worse. I've said it in another thread but you had to be there to see and feel the toxicity. They really didn't care what they were doing, highlighted by the fact that they were there over the course of the whole day. I cleaned house, took a nap, did open world bosses but would return at around the 2 hour mark to try and finish this off.

99% of my time in Guild Wars 2 has been a very positive one. I prefer PvE and open world meta events, people offering to help others is a very common thing as far as my experience in returning to the game after a hiatus.

Today was my worst experience ingame in how some thrive on ruining it for others.

All it would take is to change the requirements for completion to be like the first step at Zephyrs in Malchor's Leap. A GM asked us ingame if we had posted about this issue yet and we said yes so they are aware of the issue and trolling.

Edited by Karna.6021
typos and clarity
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

On 5/25/2022 at 5:47 AM, mindlord.3147 said:

It’s rough right now half the folks are pleading with ppl not to defend the gate to let reset and the other half Zerg thru it and can’t out why they didn’t get the achievement. This is on YOU Anet.

Choya brains. Choya brains everywhere.
Including Anet for repeating past mistakes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Rogue.8235 said:

ITs like DE all over again, they only make that mistake recently and now we right back to them going against their own design philosophies. Failing an event should never be a requirement, completing the defence event should have been enough. Just like the Twilight Pre collection there. All it would take is a quick update from Anet to change it to make the defence event count and poof, all this ends. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

That's just silly.

This is the refuge of every bully ever. "It's allowed, so it's not wrong."

By all means, people should do the event. But if they are doing it just to irritate others, they are still trolls.

No, in this case the trolls are the devs that created the situation and the players that are demanding the event fails.  Taunting is allowed in this game.

Demanding that other players intentionally fail an event makes you the troll.  

Go ahead, report the players for griefing.  What do you think Anet's response will be?  Do you really think they'll ban someone for taunting a troll that demands they intentionally fail an event?  That's actually kind of funny.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3