What will EoD be remembered for?

I will remember EOD for being so thrilling in all aspects that after a few weeks I finally got around to getting Legendary Defender of Ascalon on my ele that's been lounging in pre for years. And got a new mesmer in pre to 18 following a handy dandy LDoA guide before taking a pre-break. Gotta re-charr-ge a little there, so to speak. Ahem. Also finished up GW Beyond, which consisted mostly of wading through the insane insanity of Winds of Change in (shudder) hard mode. Then I finished capping all the elite skills in Nightfall on my skill-capping necro, who now has the skill-capping titles for all three original Guild Wars campaigns. Woo hoo! Plus got the bonuses on all Nightfall missions on the same necro. Along the way I sprang for the 3 Mercs pack thing because why not. Got a second ranger (slash paragon) to 20 in Elona and have been doing the EoTN Norn stuff. Deleted a second assassin (alas, only made it to level 11) and used the empty slot to make Mercs with the PVP character thing. So, yeah. Great expansion! Very memorable. Keep 'em coming.

/e ba dum tisss

• Like 4
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

On 6/3/2022 at 9:36 PM, SexyMofo.8923 said:

Worst expansion ever. 

This.

Story content is a waste of resources, didn't enjoy any part of it.

ZERO WVW content. WVW is the only thing I play the game for.

Super disappointing Ele spec (hammer catalyst).

So bad i tried to get a refund but they refused, even though it's against the law in Australia (anyone want to join me for class action, PM me).

I will never pre-purchase an Anet expac again, that's for sure.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

For me, the magic of an MMO is if it can convince me I've stepped into another world. I don't have much experience with living world, but the core game, HoT, and PoF succeeded well enough in this endeavor. EoD however, I never felt convinced that it was a place. There were a couple times when I'd venture to the outskirts of Kaineng where I started to feel immersed, but something would jolt me out of the game world again. I think Cantha became so peaceful, and the language so similar to modern American dialect, that it felt like a bunch of American's were hired to dress up in traditional Canthan garb for a tourist attraction. Sorry if you're reading this Anet, I did really enjoy HoT and PoF. HoT was actually revolutionary for an MMO with the multiple levels of elevation, and the feeling of being in this vast, dangerous jungle that no other RPG has been able to replicate. But this one was a miss for me.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 2

On 6/14/2022 at 5:00 PM, scerevisiae.1972 said:

So bad i tried to get a refund but they refused, even though it's against the law in Australia (anyone want to join me for class action, PM me).

That's a little overdramatic, isn't it? How long did you play the Xpac before asking for a refund?

You do know what the law in Australia says regarding this issue? I did a brief google and this is what I found:

Consumer guarantees : Products must: match descriptions made by the salesperson, on packaging and labels, and in promotions or advertising

...the consumer guarantees do not apply if you got what you asked for but simply changed your mind, found it cheaper somewhere else, decided you did not like the purchase or had no use for it. - ACCC

Unless you can demonstrate that they did not deliver what they advertised, your chances of success will be somewhere between None and None.

Edited by Silent.6137
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

• First expansion, where I didn't even play the story on the new profession of my main (Catalyst), because it is so frustrating to play
  • Fishing started out fine, but soon turned out to be kind of a waste of time (5 min dusk/dawn window, where you don't catch the stuff you need & those non-regional collections your are still stuck with)
  • End of Dragon's meta with all the bad stuff associated with it (way too long to prepare and horrible to hot join; low chance of succeeding; all that achievement related stuff you can only do after a successful meta etc.)
  • Turtle, pretty much useless compared to other mounts
  • Nothing for WvW at all, Alliances still "in the works", reward issues with WvW not even partially addressed
  • In competitive play, you either play a "poster child" (Willbender, Harbinger), poop so many boons (an ever escalating problem of GW2) or go to down state quickly
  • Positives? Yes... The new maps look great and invoked more "uhhhs" ... "ahhs" than PoF maps did.
  • GW2 still runs fairly well on my old potato PC, which kind of surprised me
Edited by Gorani.7205
typos & grammar
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I'm actually kind of happy that many players are speaking out loud about what this expansion ended up being.

Whatever happened inside ANet, I have no clue. But it seems there's no leadership, no talent, and no care except for –mostly– political ideas.

And it actually showed before its release: in every beta, in every e-spec preview, one could see where the Devs were going and how they didn't seem enthusiased at all about the gameplay. But there were so many players wishful thinking that almost all criticism was drowned, or even worse, censored. We don't need any of that. What we need is developers, artists and creators that actually enjoy playing the game and care about it and its players, not about playing real-world politics.

It's unforgivable what they did to Cantha and the overall Faction's legacy in the name of God-knows what.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 3

For me I feel like EOD was too political. I think I actually agree with the devs politics, but I don't want or need the products I consume to confirm or refute my political opinions. For me it is the various opportunities the devs too to insert real world political opinions into the story that I will remember EOD for.

The rest of the expansions I think was the weakest of the three expansions, but hits the minimum requirements of a story, 4 maps and new especs.

Edited by ovenglove.9528
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Every new releases, expansions or Living World episodes will always have a very small group who absolutely hate them and a very small group who absolutely love them. The rest of the player base will treat them as just new contents to entertain themselves.

Check the forum history and you'll find many posts complaining about how bad each of the releases were. The current favorite of some of those who dislike Eod, Drizzlewood, is no different. The complains were rather similar: meta's too long, the map's too hard, the rewards are not worth farming the map for, not enough time to gather the loots, etc., etc. Many seems to forget how much they used to hate Drizzlewood but now use it to support their arguments.

Give it time, a few tweaks here and there and an expansion or two, these same players will be complaining about the new maps. And will be using EoD to support their arguments.

Remember when some were using the win-rate data from GW2Efficiency for DE meta when it was fairly new to prove that it's the worst meta and EoD is the worst expansion? Was less than 7% then.

Some interesting statistics from GW2Efficiency (June 18th 2022):

• Dragon Pacifier (DE meta)(Released February 2022): 60,775 of 370,720 (16.394%)
  • Citadel Crasher (Drizzlewood meta) (Released July 2020): 48,089 of 370,720 (12.972%) - (10 times needed for achievement)
  • The Battle of Dragonfall (Released May 2019): 13,838 of 370,720 (3.733%) - (25 times needed for achievement)
  • Mouth of Mordremoth Slayer (Dragon's Stand meta) (Released: October 2015): 241,358 of 370,720 (65.105%)
  • Powered Up (Auric Basin achievements) (Released October 2015): 154,114 of 370,720 (41.572%)
  • Gerent Slayer (Tangled Depths meta) (Released October 2015): 231,503 of 370,720 (62.447%)

More interesting statistics:

• Seitung Province Insight: Dreary Caves: 110,438 of 370,720 (29.790%) - Highest
  • Echovald Wilds Insight: Altrumm Mines Catacomb: 48,601 of 370,720 (13.110%) - Lowest
  • Drizzlewood Coast Insight: Northern Camp: 126,159 of 370,720 (34.031%) - Highest
  • Drizzlewood Coast Insight: Frost Citadel: 94,422 of 370,720 (25.470%) - Lowest
  • Dragonfall Insight: Skyscale Eyrie: 190,506 of 370,720 (51.388%) - Highest
  • Dragonfall Insight: Dragon's Snare: 102,979 of 370,720 (27.778%) - Lowest
  • Crystal Oasis Insight: Amnoon Bazaar (PoF): 289,891 of 370,720 (78.197%) - Highest
  • Desolation Insight: The Mouth of Torment (PoF): 165,656 of 370,720 (44.685%) - Lowest
  • Verdant Brink Insight: Heartless Pass (HoT): 296,115 of 370,720 (79.876%) - Highest
  • Auric Basin Insight: Burnisher Quarry (HoT): 180,120 of 370,720 (48.587%) - Lowest

What does the above statistics prove? Absolutely nothing. Just thought it's interesting that no matter how easy some of the achievements are to get, a good portion of players do not bother. More likely they are no longer active. Also, approximately 99.96% of the players have no clue what GW2Efficiency is and are not included in the statistics. And 99.95% of the players play this game because they like it, both the good and the bad (% from my magic crystal ball).

Lastly, the same % of the player base will be complaining about the next expansion on the forum

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 15

23 minutes ago, Silent.6137 said:

Every new releases, expansions or Living World episodes will always have a very small group who absolutely hate them and a very small group who absolutely love them. The rest of the player base will treat them as just new contents to entertain themselves.

Lastly, the same % of the player base will be complaining about the next expansion on the forum

I don't really think it's like that this time. You think it's just "har har always that same amount of complainers never happy about anything"

No.

People were rightfully upset about the "SELLING features" of this expansion even on pre-order page. I've never thought of refunding anything from this game before but here we are.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, vanfrano.1325 said:

I disagree, the negative reaction towards EoD is clearly not usual and I place my bets that Anet knew their expansion was bad and that's why they directly announced that there would be another expansion.

Do you seriously think they decided on the spur of the moments? This is a business. Major corporations have a roadmap. They based decisions on what their goals are. Any expansion plans would have been discussed and formulated a while ago.

No businesses would suddenly decide to make an expansion or base their decisions on a few complains from the forum.

2 hours ago, vicky.9751 said:

I don't really think it's like that this time. You think it's just "har har always that same amount of complainers never happy about anything"

No.

People were rightfully upset about the "SELLING features" of this expansion even on pre-order page. I've never thought of refunding anything from this game before but here we are.

Try searching the forum. You'll see the same complains after every releases. Just because you decided to get a refund this time doesn't make it any more unique. There will always be people that are unsatified and will demand a refund no matter what the product is.

Edited by Silent.6137
  • Like 4
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 9

Hmm...HoT will be remembered for gliding , epic zones that you needed gliding for, a great story , and the birth of raids.

PoF will be remembered for mounts and Joko the most benevolent >_>  also the feeling of open spaces of the desert after the hellish trek through the jungles.

EoD will be the return of Cantha, The mother of all dragons......and the void, boats and fishing , the tears of dragons end, and the death of raids/cry and waiting for alliances ...soon™

Edited by Artemis.8034
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Silent.6137 said:

Do you seriously think they decided on the spur of the moments? This is a business.

You said it yourself, this is a business. They can lie, they can do damage control, they can change their plans later and make up excuses.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Easy gold from Antique Summoning Stones lol.

More seriously though, I do believe it has some mechanics that could be very memorable if they went back and polished them. Like if they made Jade Bots and Research Notes more enjoyable somehow. There are ideas in it that have potential, but were not given enough time and iterating.

In general, I would like to see them review metas and rewards for both Path of Fire and End of Dragons. EoD isn't dead like PoF is, but it doesn't seem like there's a lot to hold people's interest in it once it's no longer the shiny new and I see it becoming much like PoF over time. HoT has managed to have staying power that the others lack. PoF has pinata crowd, but that's about it.

I also think it's getting to the point they may need to consider something like a daily rotation for metas across the game that encourages doing certain clusters of them over others in a given day (not restricts, just incentive). Just cause the more metas there are, the more overlapping timers; meaning, no matter how good the rewards are for a given meta, if it conflicts with someone's efficient meta train they like to do, they may never do it.

Edited by Labjax.2465
phrasing
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, vanfrano.1325 said:

You said it yourself, this is a business. They can lie, they can do damage control, they can change their plans later and make up excuses.

Damage control based upon an extremely low percentage of players complaining on forum? The number of players that frequent forum, let alone those that complains on forum on any releases would not even come to 0.001% of the total player base, and I'm sure I'm being pretty generous on that figure.

Edited by Silent.6137
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 12
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Gorani.7205 said:
  •  
  • Nothing for WvW at all, Alliances still "in the works", reward issues with WvW not even partially addressed

Yeah, what's up with that? I need to change my sig to them saying "Alliances this year" in 2021. Almost a year now since we had an update to wvw, which all it did was make rewards worse as we have had LESS options for getting participation and less pips if you have been on a low pop server all this time that "Alliances" was supposed to fix. Not even to mention them bugging out siege use on terrain touched by water. 

So we got an update to wvw, making it worse, a few beta's, and then silence. 

Also to others, this seems to be the only eod thread atm, I've not been paying attention - do we have a way to avoid doing the strike mission for the useless turtle yet? 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 2

19 hours ago, Rivindor.7258 said:

For me, the magic of an MMO is if it can convince me I've stepped into another world. I don't have much experience with living world, but the core game, HoT, and PoF succeeded well enough in this endeavor. EoD however, I never felt convinced that it was a place. There were a couple times when I'd venture to the outskirts of Kaineng where I started to feel immersed, but something would jolt me out of the game world again. I think Cantha became so peaceful, and the language so similar to modern American dialect, that it felt like a bunch of American's were hired to dress up in traditional Canthan garb for a tourist attraction. Sorry if you're reading this Anet, I did really enjoy HoT and PoF. HoT was actually revolutionary for an MMO with the multiple levels of elevation, and the feeling of being in this vast, dangerous jungle that no other RPG has been able to replicate. But this one was a miss for me.

Yes you're right it does feel like a tourist attraction even the npcs comment like it is.. I get that same vibe. Cantha in Guildwars 1 felt like a real part of Tyria totally unique, here now no it feels like we entered some futuristic Jurassic park style theme park with Robots instead of Dinosaurs.

I never realized till you said that.

2 hours ago, Silent.6137 said:

Damage control based upon an extremely low percentage of players complaining on forum? The number of players that frequent forum, let alone those that complains on forum on any releases would not even come to 0.001% of the total player base, and I'm sure I'm being pretty generous on that figure.

What you see here is echoed across the community in game.. Say what you like but it is.

Edited by Dante.1508
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Dante.1508 said:

What you see here is echoed across the community in game.. Say what you like but it is.

Hush. Let me listen. Nope, don't hear any echoes. Mapchat is pretty silent regarding this. So's any guildchat.

The only place you hear it is on the forum posted by the same few individuals on virtually every single thread about EoD. Only those who are very dissatisfied with Eod will come to forum to air their grievances. The rest can live with it, flaws and all.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 11

21 minutes ago, Silent.6137 said:

Hush. Let me listen. Nope, don't hear any echoes. Mapchat is pretty silent regarding this. So's any guildchat.

The only place you hear it is on the forum posted by the same few individuals on virtually every single thread about EoD. Only those who are very dissatisfied with Eod will come to forum to air their grievances. The rest can live with it, flaws and all.

It's always weird to me when people cite map chat in reference to complaints not being there. People are busy playing the game, they don't have much time to stop and type out a complaint. Doesn't mean they have none.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Labjax.2465 said:

It's always weird to me when people cite map chat in reference to complaints not being there. People are busy playing the game, they don't have much time to stop and type out a complaint. Doesn't mean they have none.

Oh, everyone have complains, including myself. EoD is by no means perfect. In fact it's far from it but isn't it just as weird to assume what you see on a few threads of forum is representative of the whole player base? Most won't even give it much thoughts.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 9

On 6/18/2022 at 5:22 PM, Silent.6137 said:

That's a little overdramatic, isn't it? How long did you play the Xpac before asking for a refund?

You do know what the law in Australia says regarding this issue? I did a brief google and this is what I found:

Unless you can demonstrate that they did not deliver what they advertised, your chances of success will be somewhere between None and None.

I agree it sounds dramatic but I didn't like it at all, so asking for a refund seemed like a perfectly reasonable thing to do. Played first 2 betas. I think the expac differed significantly from the (hyped) description, but there is also a statutory warranty in Australia that also applies that the product in question is of merchantable quality, I don't think it was.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/15/2022 at 9:00 AM, scerevisiae.1972 said:

This.

Story content is a waste of resources, didn't enjoy any part of it.

ZERO WVW content. WVW is the only thing I play the game for.

Super disappointing Ele spec (hammer catalyst).

I will never pre-purchase an Anet expac again, that's for sure.

Are they allowed to refuse? I know I saw many people claiming they were able to get it refunded, unless of course so many did that they had to change policies to prevent the write off being much larger. But might be that by now its too late and counted as too far off the release date for a refund, unless you just bought the expac itself. 
Honestly, most were citing the reasoning being one of the expansions biggest selling features, the thing on the front page, the thing in all their adverts, one of the things even in a beta test, one thing surrounded in hype, was locked behind the final meta at launch and still locked behind a strike mission instead of you getting it during the story. A lot of people were miffed at that. 

Edit: And that all before we found out just how bad the Turtle as a mount was anyway. 

Edited by Gorem.8104
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1