Why are the gun noises so goofy?

Was trying to get my friend into the game. 

Showed him my character with "The Predator". Awesome look!

Then he hears it shoot and just dismissed GW2 as a goofy Korean MMO.

What's with the "PING PANG POW ZING!!" 1960's Batman comic noises. Of all the guns...this gun should have an intimidating sound.

They could literally use basic public assets of rifle shot noises and it would be better than current...and that would take a single dev about an hour of work lol.

Edited by Luclinraider.2317
  • Like 8
  • Confused 9

29 minutes ago, Luclinraider.2317 said:

Was trying to get my friend into the game. 

Then he hears it shoot and just dismissed GW2 as a goofy Korean MMO.

What's with the "PING PANG POW ZING!!" 1960's Batman comic noises. Of all the guns...this gun should have an intimidating sound.

They could literally use basic public assets of rifle shot noises and it would be better than current...and that would take a single dev about an hour of work lol.

Even melee weapon doesnt sound convincing. A sword sounds like metal rod bashing a wood crate or something.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

If that's what your friend is going to judge a game on (and what an odd thing to show to get someone into the game) I'm pretty sure I'm not terribly worried. Who judges a game on a sound effect of one single weapon.

The predator has a different sound that most rifles in the game and I, for one, like that sound.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 7

6 minutes ago, Vayne.8563 said:

If that's what your friend is going to judge a game on (and what an odd thing to show to get someone into the game) I'm pretty sure I'm not terribly worried. Who judges a game on a sound effect of one single weapon.

The predator has a different sound that most rifles in the game and I, for one, like that sound.

I mean...showing him a character and some combat....what else should I show him lol.

And a lot of people judge games on different factors, be it gameplay, visual or audio.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 5

54 minutes ago, Luclinraider.2317 said:

I mean...showing him a character and some combat....what else should I show him lol.

And a lot of people judge games on different factors, be it gameplay, visual or audio.

So was this the flavor of the month power mechanist dps?

Dident they just update that sound design and all?

Edit

After thinking about it awhile, OP you should have said oh you think that is goofy let me show you the gen 1 gun or shortbow.

Edited by Linken.6345
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, Luclinraider.2317 said:

I don't show people a character and some combat. I usually show them a world boss or something more like that.  Still to poo poo the game over one single sound seems judgmental to me. To blame the sound, a sound that some people really like, is even  more silly.  I can't imagine a single sound that would have stopped me from enjoying any game, and normally I wouldn't have judged a game based on that. It's just very shallow in my opinion.

• Like 6
  • Confused 2

Understandably that he doesn't like it but to write off the game seem harsh

I dont like HMS Divinity because it look goofy even the cannon ball projectile doesnt save it, but doesnt stop me from enjoying the game in general

Until your friend give more reasons to dismiss the game, my expression 😒

• Like 5
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Ultramex.1506 said:

Understandably that he doesn't like it but to write off the game seem harsh

I dont like HMS Divinity because it look goofy even the cannon ball projectile doesnt save it, but doesnt stop me from enjoying the game in general

Until your friend give more reasons to dismiss the game, my expression 😒

I tried to show him the PvP....but that always goes the same for anyone who really enjoys PvP MMO's.

No one ever takes GW2 PvP seriously due to the downed system...but they are never changing that so.....

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

53 minutes ago, Luclinraider.2317 said:

I tried to show him the PvP....but that always goes the same for anyone who really enjoys PvP MMO's.

No one ever takes GW2 PvP seriously due to the downed system...but they are never changing that so.....

They removed the downed state from WvW for the duration of an event a few months ago.  Seems to me they were seeing how pvp folks would react to it.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Luclinraider.2317 said:

I am a bit confused, you showed your friend your character with a legendary which has CUSTOM sound effects. He dislikes those sounds effects which are UNIQUE to that legendary. You do not change skins to show him that regular gun fire sound effects are different?

Meanwhile your own opinion on an item you likely cherished up till that point changes?

Did I summarize that adequately? Not sure anyone here can help you there m8. Your friend is missing out on a great game, but that is his decision.

EDIT:

and in case you didn't know or get from that above https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Predator has custom sound effects and animations which differ from other rifles. As most legendary items do. So your friend basically judged the entire game around 1 weapon sound. Now if it was Quip, I would have understood the reaction, but over this? 🙄

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

As for the gun sound effects I suspect they made them silly in order to keep the game's rating lower than mature in some regions.  I bet "realistic guns" is a criteria for the mature rating tag, somewhere.  Politicians will do anything to be elected, so if strict game rating systems are fashionable Anet needs to anticipate politicians copying each other and passing ignorant laws.  
Besides there are plenty of shooters with ultra realistic guns. There are even a few that have created, and patented, gun designs that would work irl if a manufacturer decided to buy the design.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Antycypator.9874 said:

There's an option to disable all unique sounds (including lege weapons).

This. Sound options -> my / other players unique item sounds -> mute projectiles only. I use this option because of the rainbow unicorn "nyaaah" bow (the Dreamer).

• Like 3

I can understand one factor influencing your initial interest in a game, I first got interested in GW1 because I saw the charr, but that wasn't enough to make up my mind, just to ask for more information. Giving up on a game you were considering playing because of one effect seems odd. My first impression based on your story is that your friend had no intention of playing GW2 but didn't want to turn you down immediately so he watched what you wanted to show him looking for any excuse to say he didn't like it.

But if you think he really was put off by the special sound effects unique to 1 skin the first step is to demonstrate how other rifles sound (with the Predator you can do this easily because you can reskin it for free) and show him that you can disable other players unique item sounds (and your own) so he doesn't need to hear the one he doesn't like.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, XenMaster.7165 said:

Even melee weapon doesnt sound convincing. A sword sounds like metal rod bashing a wood crate or something.

My family has laughed together at the "Claang!" sound greaswords sometimes make. It's like you're fighting a large soup pot.

7 hours ago, Jukhy.2431 said:

This. Sound options -> my / other players unique item sounds -> mute projectiles only. I use this option because of the rainbow unicorn "nyaaah" bow (the Dreamer).

I had no idea this setting exists! First thing I log in next, I'll be free of the Dreamer. Thank you!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Mesmer Scepter sounds like someone hitting 2 wood sticks together.

It's fantasy. I don't want a realistic assault rifle sound in a game about dragons and exploding clones into butterflies etc.

It's supposed to be a bit silly because it's PG13, and that's perfectly fine.

Your friend just probably didn't like the game and looked for an excuse.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Vayne.8563 said:

seems judgmental to me

As opposed to judging someone because they didnt care for an example of the game's aesthetics. Surely that isnt judgemental right?

Ultimately aesthetics matter. If a game struggles to get something that matters to a player right then it is appropriate for them to choose to give that game a pass. 

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

. I don't want a realistic assault rifle sound in a game about dragons and exploding clones into butterflies

Based on class representation statistics and developed design/balance the game is far more about assault rifles than it is about clones shattered into butterflies.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1