When will dungeons get some attention?

Shivan.9438

Yeah, there are threads about this already, but the fire has to be restoked.

Dungeons in this game are beyond horrible. 

7 years and no bug fixes?
Zerging through and skipping trash.
Bosses are weaker than 5 hour old kittens.
3 expansions and not a new dungeon? 
I solo story modes with a cookie cutter build condi mechanist.

Arena Net. - It's time someone told you this, from the heart. No trolling, no angst, no malice. Okay?

You failed.

You implemented Raids, Strikes, CM's, retuned fractals, and yet dungeons sit in this state of abysmal funk. Do you really like being compared to other MMO's? Do you like being told that other companies have done it better? Does it not bother you, as developers and so called gamers that your content has been skipped over, turned into speed clears and token farms? Make your own private server and run your dungeons with the elite specs from past expansions. Then say to yourself that dungeons are fine. Double dog dare.

When my grandfather couldn't fix and repaint something, he'd throw it away. Get rid of dungeons or fix them (EDIT: Add some new ones.)  Just do something.

Edited by Shivan.9438
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 13

2 hours ago, Shivan.9438 said:

Arena Net. - It's time someone told you this, from the heart. No trolling, no angst, no malice. Okay?

You failed.

Bit dramatic.  I for one am glad gw2 scrapped dungeons. While Fractals and Strikes are great instanced content, it's the open world stuff that keeps me playing GW2 PvE.

If I wanted long story dungeons/instanced content, I'd play FFXIV or ESO.

Edited by HowlKamui.5120
  • Like 3
  • Confused 3

One of the reasons I got into this game was because of the strength of the open world content and not having to have a full group for everything.

...but I still like dungeons. There's something they offer that even Fractals still don't. I think we have really been missing out by not getting dungeons in the Heart of Maguuma and Elona and Cantha.

The old dungeons have so many neat elements to them that don't exist elsewhere... they're also seriously broken. If old code makes it hard to update them, I still think it would be worth remaking them from the ground up. Doing some dungeons for the first time in forever recently, I am surprised at how weird the dungeons can be. There are so many situations where projectiles can't be reflected or attacks inexplicably hit during dodge, debuffs that don't follow the rules of Conditions and Boons, etc. It's like dungeons tried to break every rule that made the game consistent and learnable, but they don't have to.

At this point it might be best to tie them into the Fractal system somehow, but I think there's room for something a little more long form and with a little more narrative coherence (even if I don't think they have to have stories).

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

For the bug fixes, I guess it's a case of "do not break them even more while trying to fix them"

To be fair, I run them sometimes, but I have encountered more bug in Kaineng overlook than dungeon... 

Well, dungeon are fine when you do them with a team at level appropriate for the dungeon, not as optimized lvl80 with elite spec.

The problem is that if you balance it for the latter, it will simply become impossible for the former.

Also, story mode is the easy mode of dungeon, of course it will be easy if you go there with the most busted thing the game can offer right now....

About new content, like it was said, fractal is the new 5man content, so if they refocus on 5man content, it will be fractal, not dungeon. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Dungeons were replaced with Fractals, then (I guess) Fractals were attempted to be replaced by Dragon Response Missions?

But the players went back to Fractals because they were better than DRMs...

Dungeons could definitely use some love, but it only needs to be a relatively light touch balance pass, then they should add new stuff instead.

A new collection of fractals, a couple of new "whatever-they-want-to-call-5-player-content"s. EoD was absent of any new 5 player content as they focused on 10 player strikes instead :classic_sad:

I think 5 player content is the sweet spot and Anet should definitely create more of it. 10 person gets a bit flashy with all the AoEs and effects, 5 is mostly tolerable in that regard.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

The context-lite nature of Fractals makes them good for grinding, but they don't offer the fully-realized locations with stories behind them that Dungeons do.

Side plots like Saul D'Alessio can't really be done through Fractals, but work just fine for a Dungeon and wouldn't be too inaccessible that way.

Edited by Jokubas.4265
  • Confused 1

I've always thought that Dungeons salvation lay in being bundled into the Fractals somehow. 

Although there's a lot of work involved in solving their myriad problems, it's still a lot of content left sitting there and the worst part is that all of it can be redeemed with a some TLC and 2022 relevant rewards.

12 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

The agony systems alone makes dungeons vastly preferable. If you add the mess that are the instabilities, the difference becomes even bigger.

I like the instabilities, they lead to more variety. The agony system is not a big deal, it’s super fast and easy to get enough AR and after that you don’t have to worry about agony resistance anymore. I find dungeons just too boring, they are no challenge whatsoever and the rewards are terrible. And dungeons don’t have CM. 

Edited by yoni.7015
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Fractals are dungeons with a different label slapped onto them. So are raids and strikes. The original launch dungeons have been abandoned by ANet. The recent reward tweak is about all we are likely to see in my opinion so do the newer dungeons with the newer labels.

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

Fractals are dungeons with a different label slapped onto them. So are raids and strikes. The original launch dungeons have been abandoned by ANet. The recent reward tweak is about all we are likely to see in my opinion so do the newer dungeons with the newer labels.

Fractals also don't get new content anymeowre. When are they going to hold another Lion's Arch Election for new leader and fractal or does the term just last forever till they retire? ;o

• Confused 2

12 hours ago, Shivan.9438 said:

Do you really like being compared to other MMO's? Do you like being told that other companies have done it better? Does it not bother you, as developers and so called gamers that your content has been skipped over, turned into speed clears and token farms? Make your own private server and run your dungeons with the elite specs from past expansions. Then say to yourself that dungeons are fine. Double dog dare.

We could create an auto-group-matchmaking like any other MMO and then put an extra   Dungeons + Strikes daily gold reward .

For example people playing T4 could get 35gold daily  but manually creating their group , then play the LFR (chance either random fractal or dungeons) for an extra 10gold and then manually create groups in the Dungeon LFG for the 8x fastest fungeons ,  for an extra 10gold. The LFR ensures that different kind of people will meet each other , rather than using your static all the time .

We could put the requirement that you cannot use the LFR anymore at that day  , if you haven't complete the manually-gather-other members via the LFG

Edited by Woof.8246
  • Confused 3