POLL: The Quest for The Skyscale: The Long and Grindy Road

Silent.6137

The Quest for The Skyscale: The Long and Grindy Road  

285 members have voted

1. 1. Do you find the quest for Skyscale adequate, too easy or too hard?

• It's too easy to obtain. Need more collections categories
    • It's fine the way it is especially for a premium mount.
    • Could do with a little tweak. Fewer collection steps.
    • Too grindy. Get rid of any time-gates and reduce collection steps drastically.
    • I want a Skyscale but I don't want to put in any effort at all. Make it a NPC item.
    • Put it on Gem Store. I'm rich, you know.
    • I don't need no stinking Skyscale. I have my Griffon, Roller Beetle and Raptor.
    • Others: Please specify.

Didn't see any poll for this but a few topics complaining about the quest. Curious to see if there are indeed that many who dislike it or just a select  few posters repeating it. Please try to keep any comments short. Argue in the other thread if you want.

Edited by Silent.6137
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

• Silent.6137 changed the title to POLL: The Quest for The Skyscale: The Long and Grindy Road

It took me about 2 months to get the skyscale, which is a long time compared to some other players, especially when you consider I did almost nothing else when I was online because for me a dragon mount is an absolute must-have so any other goals I had were put on hold until I got it.

Even so I think the collections are fine overall, and I actually liked the process of getting and hatching an egg and seeing the hatchling grow up. The time-gates weren't an issue for me because the time I have to play is limited anyway, I think there was only once when I knew I'd hit a time gate, and then I was going to stop soon anyway. (By the time I got to the time-gated step they'd updated it to use in-game days, so about 2 hours between each phase instead of a real day.)

I'd like more detailed hints for the sick skyscale and egg collections. I was able to find the scales just using the hints in the game but for the sick skyscales and the eggs it only gives you the area of the map, so I had to use the Wiki to narrow it down. If it was up to me I probably wouldn't have put 3 almost identical collections back-to-back.

I think they could also reduce the currency requirement for the saddle, because that took a long time. Although I think the 'return to' achievements help with that, because they give large amounts of map currency.|

Other than that though I don't remember any of it being a problem for me.

• Like 5

I don't have mine yet - haven't gotten to the part in LSW4 where I can get it - and I fully expect it to take me a long, long time to do so, especially with the glacially slow pace at which I play games. XD

And that's fine!

It deserves a lot of effort for a pretty darn good reward.

I'm looking forward to chipping away at this goal, bit by bit, whenever I actually do get there.

• Like 2

I played for years with the four basic mounts and got along just fine. The only reason I got the skyscale was because a guildie offered to take me and another guild member through the whole process, step by step. Doing it together like that was fun. Since I have a full home instance, I already had the mats needed. So yeah, the process was long and complicated but it wasn't horrible for me. At this point I now have all the mounts and I use the skyscale, the jackal, and the skimmer the most, depending on what I'm doing. The skyscale is a useful convenience in some situations for me but by no means do I consider it essential. So I don't think anyone has to do the grind if it is really too much for them. Still, I'd have no problem with it if Anet made the whole process significantly easier. For me, the skyscale is simply not as premium as a lot of people seem to think it is.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Chichimec.9364 said:

I played for years with the four basic mounts and got along just fine.

For me, the skyscale is simply not as premium as a lot of people seem to think it is.

I probably use Skyscale 50% of the time. Raptor 30%. And the rest: Springer, Roller Beetle , Griffon, Skimmer, Warclaw & Jackal 20%  total. So, for me, it is definitely a premium mount.

Aside from those who plays mostly WvW, Skyscales will be the main mount of majority of the players who have them. If it is your main mount, then it is a premium mount.

Edited by Silent.6137

43 minutes ago, Rovaeden.8546 said:

Clearly there are an awful lot of elitists out there with their "I had to suffer so you do too" attitudes about this collection, judging by the vote tally.

OR: There are players, like me, that really liked (most of it) the Skyscale collection when they did it and believe that the collection is fine.

There is no need to attack others just because they do not  share your opinion.

47 minutes ago, Rovaeden.8546 said:

I have played an awful lot of mmos over the years and Skyscale was by far one of the most tedious and un-fun grind fests I have undertaken.

That is a valid opinion based on your own experience. But there are other, also valid, opinions about the Skyscale quest/collection.

12 minutes ago, Rovaeden.8546 said:

Did you bother to argue facts?

Did you? Your opinions are not facts.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 6
  • Confused 1

39 minutes ago, Rovaeden.8546 said:

Cyninja.2954,
Did you select the "It's fine the way it is especially for a premium mount. " option in the poll?

In fact, I did because I do think it's fine. You will simply have to live with the fact that other players disagree with your opinion, in some cases even without using insults or blame to try to make a point.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 9
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Rovaeden.8546 said:

I have played an awful lot of mmos over the years and Skyscale was by far one of the most tedious and un-fun grind fests I have undertaken.

Is this some sort of bait ?

This "grind" is nothing to people familiar with original Lineage or Miragent grind in Aion for example.

And I can understand the complaints but it's nowhere near being "most" tedious and un-fun. 

Edited by Hindenburg.3415
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

With the addition of Jade Bot Gliding Assist level 3 , I just jump off my Springer and ride my griffon mid-air  plenty of Zip-Lines in EoD too. Never started skyscale collection I feel like I can do better and more fun things in my playtime and in the end its just another mount that is not required for anything, its a premium mount you get it if you want it and if not, nothing happens at all.

Also once you start knowing the layout of maps Roller/Jackal/Raptor become faster options. I usally see people in EoD meta who use skyscale fall behind.

While I dont have it myself, I think its the most well implemented mount in any game ever it actually has some story and context, you help them , you feed them, then you saddle them, and then it  becomes your loyal beast, sure some collections are annoying but it is perfect the way it is.

Its not something that should be buyable from your local stables or just given to you like 95% of the content in this game  😁

Edited by keykey.9182
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Rovaeden.8546 said:

Clearly there are an awful lot of elitists out there with their "I had to suffer so you do too" attitudes about this collection, judging by the vote tally.

Clearly there exists players who enjoys this collection and thus see it to be fine. I did not "suffer" while doing the collection, I enjoyed it. Should I vote against my own opinion just to please the few players who thinks it's agony to do these? Would you vote it's fine just to please the players who like it? I think not.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 2

Obiusly it is a premium mount, that once you learn how to use it and get the mastery to climb on walls its like a "hack" that can get you nearly everywhere. So it is understandable that is grindy.

Tho this poll is gonna be voted by veterans 95% that already have the skyscale so they are gonna say its just fine, cos indeed they (we)  all did the grind already.

Edited by Izzy.2951
  • Confused 1

Other: Design a questline that is fun and enjoyable

There is so much fun and enjoyable content in this game that I would not mind grinding to unlock a bunch of cool stuff. I have literally spent years unlocking my legendary armor and did not mind that a bit. Unfortunately, Anet has since PoF decided that they will go play fetch with you if you want cool mounts, gizmos, legendary trinkets and so much more. So you are either stuck spending hours, and in some cases days working yourself trough the dullest content in the game, or you stop caring about unlocking things and progressing your account.

Edited by baseendje.8452
  • Like 1
  • Confused 4

My son got his skyscale back when he was playing a couple hours a week.

The only thing I found unpleasant when I did it was the grind for a full stack of each zone currency. ANet has since changed that with the Return achievements.

There’s already a chunk of the collection you can skip with treats bought with gold, if you hate JPs.

So many players already have their skyscale. More are getting it every day as evidenced by how fast skyscale related items move on the TP.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Silent.6137 said:

How is this poll biased if it provide all options?

The bias of a forum poll doesn't neccesarily come from missing (or biased) options (but this could add further bias), but is a neccesarily conseqeunce of the fact that only a small fraction of GW2 players use the forum, and that this is not a random sample, but a biased sample.

This is similar to the bias all these phone-surveys have. If you call the home at 10am, you never get the opinion of someone working at that time (before corona, since you get home-office people as well) nor those of home(-phone)-less.

Edited by Dayra.7405
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

18 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

My son got his skyscale back when he was playing a couple hours a week.

The only thing I found unpleasant when I did it was the grind for a full stack of each zone currency. ANet has since changed that with the Return achievements.

There’s already a chunk of the collection you can skip with treats bought with gold, if you hate JPs.

So many players already have their skyscale. More are getting it every day as evidenced by how fast skyscale related items move on the TP.

When I returned I honestly thought skyscale is a EoD mount because so many people have it.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Dayra.7405 said:

The bias of a forum poll doesn't neccesarily come from missing (or biased) options (but this could add further bias), but is a neccesarily conseqeunce of the fact that only a small fraction of GW2 players use the forum, and that this is not a random sample, but a biased sample.

This is similar to the bias all these phone-surveys have. If you call the home at 10am, you never get the opinion of someone working at that time (before corona, since you get home-office people as well) nor those of home(-phone)-less.

Ah, but I'm polling forum posters. Not the whole GW community. As I said, to gauge if the general consensus here is that it's too grindy or just a few posters constantly repeating this mantra on various posts.

It is not meant to be a scientific study to accurately show the sentiments of the GW2 as a whole. Especially since those who has not even started the journey yet would hardly have a formed opinion of their own other than from what they had heard.

It can, however, be a reflection of the GW2 community if the data is heavily skewed one way or another. Not perfect but a reflection.

Edited by Silent.6137
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

What??  It would have no validity at all.  What's the point, then?

Validity or not is irrelevant. The point is Curious to see if there are indeed that many who dislike it or just a select  few posters repeating it. Also, as a general interest.

That's the whole point of a forum. To interact and carry on a dialog amongst people of the same general interest.

Edited by Silent.6137
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1