This game is going to look like Tera.

Aodlop.1907

On 11/24/2022 at 2:34 PM, Aodlop.1907 said:

This is a "muh immersion!!!" thread.

I don't like how they keep adding oversized cat pillows, arcade mounts, legendaries that shoot rainbow unicorns, and all that awful stuff. 

Immersion matters in MMOs. It just does. This isn't Fortnite.

What do you mean "muh immersion"? It's an RPG! Treat it like one!

But yes, all of that is obnoxious. And don't forget, Anet is a subsidiary of NCSoft. And NCSoft loves their cheap, tacky, Korean-based grindfests.

• Like 2
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Aodlop.1907 said:

This is irrelevant.

The issue isn't the existence of maid outfits in the world of GW2, it's using them as combat outfits that causes an immersion problem. 

I am just going to say this. Have you seen how core light armor looks which is all lore friendly? People fight in that all the time, so seeing a maid in combat makes more sense actually because it shows that armor is more or less for looks and not functionality in the game. 

• Confused 4

On 11/25/2022 at 7:38 PM, Freya.9075 said:

What does Asian anime got to do with cute stuff?

There isn't just one type of cute. What one considers cute the other considers bad taste/kitsch (which those fugly Miss Kitty assets and annoying cartoon ghosts are to me). And it's that same type of "cuteness" that is presented in those equally fugly Asian kid animes.

Mind you, I have seen Asian animated movies with wonderful stories and well designed characters and environment, but these cutesy-wootsy, creepy-big-eyes styles and "let's just mix stuff that doesn't go together" ain't it.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 3
  • Confused 3

On 11/26/2022 at 5:29 PM, Ashantara.8731 said:

There isn't just one type of cute. What one considers cute the other considers bad taste/kitsch (which those fugly Miss Kitty assets and annoying cartoon ghosts are to me). And it's that same type of "cuteness" that is presented in those equally fugly Asian kid animes.

Mind you, I have seen Asian animated movies with wonderful stories and well designed characters and environment, but these cutesy-wootsy, creepy-big-eyes styles and "let's just mix stuff that doesn't go together" ain't it.

*thinks about "Grave of the Fireflies"* Aye, that is true. *sad Tsakhi noises*

Back on topic, I can see where the OP is coming from, but I don't think that it will ever get to the point that Tera has reached. Namely because Tera is geared towards specific types of gamers: Grind-fest with a side order of over-sexualization and an actually fun (in my opinion) battle system. We can learn a lot from Tera, including what not to do. I think the developers should be given more credit in regards to that. As for the eye kitten that is infusions, I do wish they would tone that kitten down or enable disabling it; I think that this has been recommended so many times that it should be strongly considered. 

Edited by Tsakhi.8124
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Aodlop.1907 said:

Not really.

Pretending something isn't there doesn't make it disappear. 

Well, using your imagination to ignore visuals would be pretending. Toggling an option on your client so that the visuals are actually replaced with default visuals would be something else entirely.  

I do remember an incident where a player was being obnoxious in map chat and everyone either blocked him or ignored what he was saying. He no longer existed verbally. He was like some sort of angry mime jumping around.  I could not be upset at his words because I could not perceive them anymore.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Project Danny.9478 said:

VERY SIMPLE

add a button that hides all cosmetics all outfits wings effects eveything from gem store.

Everyone's happy

Hrmm @Danny.9478 are you trying to get your thread merged with this one? Because injecting your thread's premise into another, similar, thread is a great way to do that.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

7 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

That was my point. There are different kinds of cute , and I’ve yet to see anything anime about the cute stuff in gw2. That’s why I asked. 

people have different taste. That’s part of life and in an mmo, should they not cater to all of them? It includes natural or plain looking fashion, scary or dark fashion, shiny and funny fashion, sexy and cute fashion. So I don’t see the issue with adding any of these fashions in the game as it makes players happy.

Expecting immersion in an mmo with so many players and different opinions is unrealistic. These things are part of mmos and always have been. From the beginning of multiplayer games, players have always found ways to make their characters look and seem out of place. With whatever option they got. From names to character creation to the clothes they wear depending on what’s available. If I want true immersion I play single player games. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Well I saw the cat pillows yesterday and those are really atrocious.  Oversized, standing out in a bad way and very low quality. At first I thought they are a low res  2D texture joke anomaly.

It might sound strange but all the SAB atuff and plush raptors and whatever fit much better the game style as these pillows. They just look so out of place and low quality.Was it done by the same developer as the new cursors?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

On 11/26/2022 at 7:13 AM, HotDelirium.7984 said:

Some people just don't get it. Guns in this game based off any magical or inventive capacity is still within the logic of the game. Adding an exact copy of an AK-47 or M16 rifle skin would not.

Tbh, I wouldn't mind having some more realistic rifle skins that don't crap out particle effects everywhere.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Cuks.8241 said:

Well I saw the cat pillows yesterday and those are really atrocious.  Oversized, standing out in a bad way and very low quality. At first I thought they are a low res  2D texture joke anomaly.

It might sound strange but all the SAB atuff and plush raptors and whatever fit much better the game style as these pillows. They just look so out of place and low quality.Was it done by the same developer as the new cursors?

Dunno, for me the pillows look more natural than the Vermilion thrones... At least the pillows have the small details like BLTC label, small stiches, natural looking fur...

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 11/25/2022 at 3:02 PM, Frangild.1749 said:

...and female combatants running around in mainly bralettes and boob shaped plating probably hadn't broken your immersion.

The boob shaped plating not being functional and having weak spots because of it is an urban myth that has been debunked for years now, so that shouldn't break immersion. The main reason why we don't have a lot of historical boob plating is simply that females weren't allowed to be knights or soldiers.

But to be honest, this is not a historical setting and has magic and all that, so people complaining about immersion breaking stuff is a bit silly. Personally, I don't care much for contemporary cosmetics because that does belie the fantasy genre, but I've accepted that as part of the deal. I just don't use it myself and when I see it, I just ignore it. Besides, if I think that most people have a horrible fashion sense and that includes immersion breaking cosmetics, then I just feel even more proud of my (perceived) fashion wars game 😄

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

On 11/24/2022 at 10:35 PM, Artemis.8034 said:

You see the influx of more fluff items and the game going to a lighter place rather than the dark murderous themes before.

I could picture that as a meme with ice brood saga stuff like the pile of creepy human bodys on the bjora map.

The game is about violence in every story and content. Killing, killing, killing. And chatting, chatting chatting.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

This game's aesthetic has always been about 'shiny sparkly'. So many of the armours and outfits and weapons are utterly OTT and camp.

I think you either take that as 'the game' and get on with it, or it puts you off. I dislike most of it, I always preferred the more sober LOTRO cosmetics and their flexibility, but I find enough here that's 'low key' I can get by and I stick around because I have family and friends that play, and there's a lot to do I enjoy.

I imagine that they look at the data for new cosmetics and adjust what they make according to the RoI. If it's what the players are buying, they'd be stupid not to carry on with cosmetics I find garish. I'm a F2P dev, it's what I'd do 🙂

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 11/25/2022 at 12:09 AM, Tom.8029 said:

We’ve had this conversation before. Everything released on the gem store is developed by the Black Lion Trading Company and is thus canon. 

I don’t get why this post is so confusing. The items are made by in-game characters.  So it’s impossible to ruin your immersion if something is in universe. That’s like saying unicorns ruin your immersion of real life because they were made up by some person. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Tom.8029 said:

I don’t get why this post is so confusing. The items are made by in-game characters.  So it’s impossible to ruin your immersion if something is in universe. That’s like saying unicorns ruin your immersion of real life because they were made up by some person. 

Because the ending of Game of Thrones wasn't good just 'cuz it was official. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1