Anyone else impatient for a Q1 2023 Road Map?

10 minutes ago, Randulf.7614 said:

Sobx is correct. The implication is on free quarterly updates as part of paid, mini, more regular expacs.

That suggest buying content annually or at least less than every two years

10 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Yes, exactly what you quoted. Which says nothing about quarterly paid expansions (that's what you initially meant, right?), but instead about -as in the very thing you've quoted- "additional content for those expansions through quarterly updates".

lets see what we get when the price model is introduced.

atm it sounds like season pass to me just they dont use that wording.

is like "our game is no grind we have collections and legendary gear"

calling it different wont change the intent.

• Like 5
  • Confused 5

Going by other games, I would assume those minor expansions will be at around 1 per 3/4 or per 1 year.

That's what you see in ESO for example. So:

- mini expansion release

- update to that mini expansion 3-6 months after

- next mini expansion release (probably a few months after the update)

- update to next mini expansion release

- etc

Price wise we will see. We can assume that those mini expansions will be smaller than EoD, so maybe a reduced price as well (15-30 Euro). Then again inflation has hit hard, so the future price might reflect that.

Overall though this is a stronger tie in of:"money for content" which a lot of players have been asking for and I personally agree with, if the frequency can be upheld. Think season pass which brings more regular content with it.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, roederich.2716 said:

Hopefully it will increase the pressure not to repeat the errors of EoD. Frequent charges will only cut it if the content and delivered updates are better than it has been. I get they had difficulty trying to balance things and modes suffered and it’s great they are trying to improve things, but we are in the midst of what I regard their weakest quality since LS1. That has to change to sustain even annual expacs.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Nine Inch Snails.7963 said:

Seems like they are basically taking living story, calling it a small expansion and then charging for it.  It will be interesting what the cost will be.  I don't know.  I don't see this being very popular. 

Pretty much but in this case they provide players with points of return every few months (or more likely per year) versus every few years. Players are free to come in later, say once the extra content has released. Buy the previous expansion and enjoy all content.

This will definitely be a step up price wise for players who enjoyed the completely free living world approach though.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, roederich.2716 said:

Seems like a missed comparison in relation to what you've initially were talking about? You were saying there will be quarterly purchased expansions, but according to what they wrote there won't be, it's purchased expansion and then quarterly updates to it which you don't pay for. Yes, the initial expansions will be smaller, but the point here is: you won't be purchasing content quarterly (according to what they said).

[unrelated to quoted above post, just personal perspective on what it will be from now on]

I also wouldn't really try to equate it to having expansion + LS releases, more like -paradoxally, maybe even slightly bigger?- expansions cut into pieces (for example in "1/2+ 1/4+ 1/4" portions) and then released gradually. Considering what they wrote about those releases containing more diverse content, I think it might be overally an improvement, but that really depends on the actual quantity and quality of content within those releases, so whether or not I'll like it remains to be seen.

e:

13 minutes ago, Nine Inch Snails.7963 said:

Seems like they are basically taking living story, calling it a small expansion and then charging for it.  It will be interesting what the cost will be.  I don't know.  I don't see this being very popular. 

Well, maybe this is a better way of describing it -if those expansions have no especs then I'm sticking with your version. 😅

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Deja vu?

"We're restructuring how we do things at the studio and this is going to let us turn out better quality," feels.... familiar.

I'm glad that the "here's the rest of the content that wasn't in the expansion" is now going to be availalbe whether you're around or not at the time. That means I can take the wait-and-see approach I've learned from EoD. Let the early adopters tell me whether the expansion is worth it, and then pick it up later.

Cool that we're going to deeper into the jade sea. I was kinda disappointed that EoD's Jade Sea zone was really Jade Sea mostly at the edges. I'm still hoping for some open areas of jade waves we can bounce along full tilt on roller beetles.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

15 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Seems like a missed comparison in relation to what you've initially were talking about? You were saying there will be quarterly purchased expansions, but according to what they wrote there won't be, it's purchased expansion and then quarterly updates to it which you don't pay for. Yes, the initial expansions will be smaller, but the point here is: you won't be purchasing content quarterly (according to what they said).

[unrelated to quoted above post, just personal perspective on what it will be from now on]

I also wouldn't really try to equate it to having expansion + LS releases, more like -paradoxally, maybe even slightly bigger?- expansions cut into pieces (for example in "1/2+ 1/4+ 1/4" portions) and then released gradually. Considering what they wrote about those releases containing more diverse content, I think it might be overally an improvement, but that really depends on the actual quantity and quality of content within those releases, so whether or not I'll like it remains to be seen.

e:

Well, maybe this is a better way of describing it -if those expansions have no especs then I'm sticking with your version. 😅

lets see the pricing then.

expansion every year with some content updates after for 20-30 dollars and there it is the hidden subscription in other wording and charging model...

• Confused 5

13 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

I wonder what this means for expanding the professions going forward. Are we done with new elite specs being added? Or will they appear every three to four expansions?

They didn't mention elite specs specifically but I assume that will be included in the "new gameplay and combat features" which they said will come with expansions. Probably not every time, but every so often there will be new specs included and then other types of combat features with other expansions.

Just now, roederich.2716 said:

expansion every year with some content updates after for 20-30 dollars and there it is the hidden subscription in other wording and charging model...

For me (as someone who does not get on with subscriptions for games) there's 2 important differences between this and a subscription:

1) Once I've bought an expansion it's there whenever I want to play it. If they bring out a new one and I pre-order it because I want the bonus stuff that's included but then I'm away or busy when it's released I haven't missed anything. Everything I paid for will be available, at no extra cost, whenever I'm able to log in and play it.

2) If I choose not to buy an expansion when it comes out I will still have access to everything I've already bought. I won't be locked out of the game because I haven't paid for permission to log in this month, or have anything I had before removed or restricted, I just won't have the new stuff.

I have no idea if I'll consider the prices for these "mini expansions" reasonable or if I'll get them, I won't know that until they tell us how much it costs and what specifically is included and then it'll only tell me if that expansion is worth it. But that's the same with the previous expansions. But if I decide it's not worth it for whatever reason I can simply ignore it and keep playing the stuff I've already got. You can't do that with a subscription.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Raknar.4735 said:

Reminds me of the ESO DLCs & Chapters. Well, let's see how this model will work.

That was my first thought as well. But at least it sounds like this time each update is going to include a mix of content. In ESO I end up skipping 2 of the 3 DLC each year because it's nothing but dungeons and I don't play dungeons often enough that it's worth buying more of them.

Although that's the other difference - in ESO you have to buy the expansion packs (chapters) and then pay seperately for the other releases either by buying the DLC or subscribing. In GW2 the other updates are free, and apparently in future will be free for everyone, not just people who log in early enough to get them. So it's only the 'mini expansions' where players will need to decide if it's worth paying for.

(It rarely affected me, especially after the release windows got longer, but I think that will be a big improvement. I doubt they ever got much money from the Living Story episodes because the majority of players likely got it free, but it meant those who did have to pay for it were unhappy about it.)

33 minutes ago, roederich.2716 said:

Ok, I don't think that's a fair comparison either. For monthly subscription, you have to pay every month in order to play the game at all, whether it gets new content/expansion or not. In this case you can keep playing with spending literally 0 additional money on the game and the only time you're paying is if you want more content to play. It is not a "hidden subscription", it's not a charging model and it doesn't change what we were paying for anyways (content expansions).

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Once is EoD is complete I'll probably just play the old content for a bit and see how any new content works before I dive in and pay for any new "expansion".

Their description of the future could go either way  all depends how many quarterly updates there are per expansion and how much content's in them.   Could end up feeling like just a small expansion spread thinly or worse like an annual subscription.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

Now they released a kind of a road map thing ...

which seems extremely underwhelming. When they announced another real expansion in the past (for after EoD) I thought we'd get a real one again. But it seems they are going to move into something in between maintenance mode and full development ...

with the new development style probably being something where they push copy-paste stuff + trying to cash in regularly (by selling that stuff as mini expansions that you have to buy for money where it is not possible to earn gems bought with earned gold). I fear that the game will get overloaded with a lot of stuff that feels either too much (if they add a ton of more masteries that can be used anywhere) or useless (if it is masteries that only can be used in the new maps).

Unless they actually try to focus on other game modes - giving WvW and PvP a bigger overhaul (maybe making that stuff part of the expansions as well ... would drop the playerbase there if people had to buy it though) ... the "game mode" stuff in the news though seemed like they wanted to add more PvE mini game stuff.

Edit: I can understand that they have ot earn cash though. With inflation and increased prices everywhere in the world and them still having offered sales (though at less extreme discounts) + keeping the prices of gems per real money the same. Will annoy players that preferred to farm a lot of ingame gold to trade it into gems to buy living world seasons ... now that this gets completely turned into expansions (= buying with real money only). Though the exchange rate will be affected by this and it will balance - since there is also a lot of other stuff in the gem store where people might trade the gold <-> gems.

Edited by Luthan.5236
  • Like 3
  • Confused 5

17 minutes ago, Luthan.5236 said:

Now they released a kind of a road map thing ...

which seems extremely underwhelming. When they announced another real expansion in the past (for after EoD) I thought we'd get a real one again. But it seems they are going to move into something in between maintenance mode and full development ...

Anet: "We will get new map and story content on February 28..." (which is in 2 weeks) "...and we'll change development cicle so we can have new content releases more often than before"
Some guy on the forum: "sounds like something between maintenance mode and full development..."

🤦‍♂️

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6

Guess raids are dead content. It's *very clear* the intent now. Strikes ARE NOT raids. I'm sorry, they're not. They're yawn content with bosses that we *already did* in the main/living world story (name one example we did not, boneskinner was covered in open world), sometimes with the same mechanics, just now balanced for 10-man content (which is literally just two fractal comps put together). And the CM's are usually just the same things but now with a timer, with some exceptions.

If I wanted to re-fight a boss from the main story, I'll just go and use the existing replay features of the story content you provided (which I appreciate by the way! it's a sensible implementation).

This is a rather lazy approach to satisfy raid and high-end PvE content players. If they were actually new, unique encounters with actual background of what we're doing (aka a story which raids provided) and new mechanics and things to do, then I'd be singing a different tune. Fractals aren't the same either to satisfy that. And slapping the new mechanics and all that into a Challenge Mode is not a good solution either. It just become prohibitive content.

Raids had a certain difficulty tier that made them challenging, but not so prohibitive you might as well not bother unless you have a certain kind of players for your comp and have to play very particular classes to satisfy said requirements. I do not see these with strikes by any means.

Also that pricing model....yikes. This screams just increased monetization, which I suppose is a good thing as long as the health of the game is *actually improved*.

Edited by Seraphis Zurvan.6839
  • Like 3
  • Confused 7

1 hour ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Anet: "We will get new map and story content on February 28..." (which is in 2 weeks) "...and we'll change development cicle so we can have new content releases more often than before"
Some guy on the forum: "sounds like something between maintenance mode and full development..."

🤦‍♂️

More like, sounds like something we’ve heard multiple times over the past decade. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Bast.7253 said:

More like, sounds like something we’ve heard multiple times over the past decade. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Pretty sure we did not. 🤦‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2