Gyala Delves Feedback [Merged]

Well that was a major dissapointment. 

First of all what was done right - map looks decent, not great, but still decent.

Thats it. I cant think of a single good thing about this content drop aside from visuals. 

Now where it gets bad:

1. The story. The introduction to a story is bad. Its basically "oh look we are all on retirement and getting bored, so lets go check on jade brotherhood for no reason". The story itself is one dimentional: "so we kept digging and suddenly people started to go crazy". Like that has been used in books and movies from the beginning of times. The story failed to catch my interest in any way. I didnt care for Gorrik/Rama (you did a splendid job at making me not care about one of the best characters of EOD), that demony-thing, the whole jade brotherhood etc. No mysteries, no strings that could lead to something interesting. Like cmon the whole "OH WHOAH" thing of the story was a ley-line in that cave. Now who would expect a ley line (literary an energy line that coveres the whole Tyria) to be located in cantha? I dont know, everyone?

The end boss with 3 identical phases... Are you serious? You have put a large HP sponge with the same attack pattern and made us fight it three times? WHY? It was a horrible concept. Not bad, no, HORRIBLE! 

2. Map. Im not talking about visuals, like i said earlier, visuals are decent (like always, ur visual designer team does a good job). But the mechanical part of the map is horrible! The meta event and recurring events are not rewarded properly at all. You get far less keys than chests. You guys managed to ruin a single thing you have always done right - "finish a meta/event here are ur chests enjoy". Instead you made it "oh you finished a meta/event here are some chests, but no keys, enjoy". Thats frustrating as hell. Ive done the whole meta and at the end of the map when i get shovered with chests and i couldnt even open 50% of them. Thats a major fail. 

The air filtering system is such a bad concept i dont know how it got past QA. That system is not introduced in any way to the player. There are no clear indications on when a stack is consumed. Like ive done meta events that didnt consumed a stack. And some events did a 30-0 in 5 secs. Some mob attacks get stacks off, some invisible puddles get stacks off, some random debuffs get stacks off. No clear indication on the "rules" by which we have to play. And the 3 variations of the filters is not balanced at all. If that was supposed to be a risk/reward system or a "choose ur difficulty" thing then it had to function differently. Low risk low reward - 30 stacks, no stat boosts/low stat boosts. Medium risk rewards - 20 stacks, some stat boosts (like 5-10% to all stats or so). High risk, high reward - 10 stacks, large stat boost (20% to all stats for example). U are giving up slack on the base mechanic, but you get something to compensate for. Atm it doesnt funtion that way, you just get the 30 pack and thats it. There is literary no point in taking lower stack packs. 

The map lacks interactable content. No collectibles (except the fox thingies which most people are already fed up with), no story, no rewarding achievements. 

3. Lack of content. You didnt expand on any lackluster mechanics EOD introduced. Siege turtle is still useless outside from niche use (even with the new "mod"). Jade bot still has one core, and one BiS module in each slot. No variety, no rebalance, no nothing. Skiff is useless outside of fishing. You didnt even add a single mastery. No strikes, no fractals, no nothing. 

4. Lack of rewards. Ok the new weapon skins looks horrible (not the legendary ones, but that turtle themed ones). I dont know why the skins you put ingame are always horrendous. And the ones u put in Cash shop looks good. Can we mb get some nice skins for a change into map rewards?

Some offtopic thoughts:

Now you have chosen a really bad time to ship content of this quality. A few weeks ago you anounced that you will be shifting away from large expansions to smaller ones with occasional content drops. A lot of people were concerned about the quality of that content. Not me. I was hyped. All you had to do is to drop decent quality content to prove them wrong and assure people that everything would be ok. And you know what? I dont even know how those people feel now, but me myself went from "ima buying them expansions no matter what, i trust anet" to "if thats the quality of expansions/content drops we would be getting, im out". That was a big fail. The quality of this content drop is not on par with living world releases, its FAR worse and FAR beneath living world content releases. 

A bit of a Homm3 reference here: "Astrologers proclaim the week of Doomers. The population of Doomers is tripled!"

• Like 15
  • Thanks 16
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, TheAgedGnome.7520 said:

This. Maybe it was supposed to be some kind of DPS check - kill mobs before your filters run out?? But all that would do is discourage smaller groups from running the meta.

The filters add nothing of value.

Remove the filters.

add a permanent one instead 

• Like 1

I have not fully played it so far - did the meta once and still having to do the last story step. Then doing it on another char maybe and doing the optional achievements. (Same old stuff where you need to camp/wait for certain events maybe.)

The detective's thing - with the story ... feels nice. I liked the story of season 2 where you also did investigating. No big end boss in sight yet.

The map setup ... feels boring though. Similar to drizzlewood an unlocker + progress thing with a meta that takes some (for people that do not want to play a lot ... too much again maybe) time to complete. Similar chest design - a keycard as key. Not too interesting. Then research notes being used there but they are not in the chests (they should be!).

Having to re-buy the air filter ... only adds an annoying thing (not really interesting as mechanics) to it. Only doing it for the major achievements I guess.

Edit: Visually and from the theme/design I liked the map though - together with the investigational stuff from the story. I just wish they had made a map that expands even slower over the release. (Afaik dry top got released in 3 parts?) Here we might just get a western part and then it is done. Unless they decide to split that again (then people comlaining that it might not be enough new content if too slow paced at the releases.) As long as the western part does not have a meta tied to the eastern part ... it might still be okay. Main problem in Drizzlewood was that you had to do the southern part to get to do the north part (if achievements were needed from there) ... or being lucky to join  a map that already had progress.

Edited by Luthan.5236

6 minutes ago, Inubis.1376 said:

This new one is just bland, to many trash mobs spawn, not enough keys, no interesting loot. It will die within a month.

I agree on lack of the keys, but speaking about rewards, wasnt it bugged? I think the chests didnt drop all supposed loot i might be wrong tho

"Fixed an issue that prevented Gyala Delve Mining Caches and Ancient Outcast's Mining Caches from awarding rare unidentified gear."

Edited by soul.9651
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, soul.9651 said:

I agree on lack of the keys, but speaking about rewards, wasnt it bugged? I think the chests didnt drop all supposed loot i might be wrong tho

It drops a ton of loot but its same unidentifed gear as always plus some raw gems for crafting. There is nothing special about it.

• Like 6

The story was short. Reallly one of the shortests of short. Reminded me of the Ice Brood Saga after they cut development time for it and assigned devs to other things. I guess this is happening right now, too. I know the story would be short, so I took my time, explored the map, played the map meta, did not rush through story and meta and I was done with it way faster than in other episodes.

The map feels unfinished and in fact it is unfinished (it is only half a map that is released in the actual episode). It is not the first time Anet releases half a map for OW content and I had hoped Anet had learned from their past experience .... but they don't.

And the story  pacing and the "boss fight" were anti-climatic. I waited for the "big end boss" but the story (and map meta) ended before it because there was none.

It does feel like the platform fights were intended mostly as strikes/cm-strike fights with interesting mechanics and then they just removed the interesting mechanics and toned everything else down too much for OW meta and story instance and they became boring sponge mini-bosses that drag for too long.

And the new filter mechanic is not fun but just annoying.

Edited by Zok.4956
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

As ive said in multiple post before, it feels like cheap content, low resources and that we wont get any major stuff. Like Spvp, raids etcetc...

Cantha was the most sold expansion of GW1, it deserved quiteeee more than what weve got so far.

Edited by Izzy.2951
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, soul.9651 said:

Dont blame anet for this, blame every single open world cry baby who complained about dragons end meta and some still complaining till this day.. they are the reason why anet made final phase of this new meta a "HP sponge"

Actually no, you CAN put SOME blame on the community because since the dawn of time, people have complained about the difficulty of open world. Literally. You can go as far back as Triple Trouble and beyond. While yes, Anet is ultimately the creators of said content, WE are the ones that give them feedback and tell them what we want with our wallets. WE dictate what they create next through encouragement of money. And what did this community put their wallet towards?

Mount skins
Armor skins
Outfits
Chairs
Overall just more cosmetic/gold-making rewards
The energy to complain that things such as Triple Trouble, the Soo Won meta, Drakkar, Mordremoth fight.

It's a 50/50 blame at this point, but people are convinced they weren't the ones that would come on here and say: "WELL, OPEN WORLD SHOULD BE EASY. WE SHOULD BE REWARDED. WE SHOULD BE THIS AND SHOULD BE THAT-". This is a perfect lesson of: be careful what you wish for. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 10

I'm not really a fan of needing filters so I don't die from the Asbestos but otherwise it's uh.. decent I guess and looks neat. I wish the refill terminal was faster, like the Jade Protocols... opening the menu and buying it is an unnessasary design imo, and idc about the research note variants, I need my notes.

But I haven't really explored it too deeply much yet because of the Asbestos and the fact I can't really stop anywhere without getting aggro but I did the meta a bunch to finish two Soo Won weapons. The final boss is kind of odd; splitting up people just for the sake of it, I guess solely so effects don't consume it like a ley line anomaly ball of light~ I struggled to get a good look at him in the crowd. And he doesn't really do a whole lot of mechanics. He just stands there.

I don't like that the bonus bosses all spawn at the same time since it causes people to miss some of them if others scurry off to a different one. Drizzlewood timed theirs apart, which avoided that issue. And I pretty much been conditioned to only open big chests already cuz lack of keys so locked chest everywhere is meh.

Edited by Doggie.3184
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, soulknight.9620 said:

Some offtopic thoughts:

Now you have chosen a really bad time to ship content of this quality. A few weeks ago you anounced that you will be shifting away from large expansions to smaller ones with occasional content drops. A lot of people were concerned about the quality of that content. Not me. I was hyped. All you had to do is to drop decent quality content to prove them wrong and assure people that everything would be ok. And you know what? I dont even know how those people feel now, but me myself went from "ima buying them expansions no matter what, i trust anet" to "if thats the quality of expansions/content drops we would be getting, im out". That was a big fail. The quality of this content drop is not on par with living world releases, its FAR worse and FAR beneath living world content releases. 

A bit of a Homm3 reference here: "Astrologers proclaim the week of Doomers. The population of Doomers is tripled!"

Yeah i really hope that their mini expansions will focus more on the Living Part (PvE Worlds) as it used to.

People wants a better PvE encounter and it evidently that the Encounter Dev is working in other projects (Strikes)

Edited by Woof.8246
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

As for the "emptiness" of the map, you have to realize this is a sea floor uncovered by mining after decades of being burried under the jade. The more interesting are the Depths, which will have more areas added in the second part of the map. Like you have liquid jade there, a RIVER of ley magic (have you ever seen a river of ley lines?!), strange demon rocks very possibly formed by an unknown mist portal to the Realm of Torment (same as Ember Bay and Mouth of Torment).

I must say, I would welcome the opportunity to check the surface of the Jade Sea up there, let it be even just nearly plain, similary to the edge of Dragon´s End, but let me walk there and pew pew few whatever things roaming there.

But hey, another, hopefully nearly as big, second part of the map is going to be added in... few months? So, few months must mean there really are multiple areas going to come.

Therefore, I´d recomend rating the map at the moment of it´s completition. This would be like rating the Silverwastes without the Vinewrath.

Also, put few Destroyers down there. I don´t care why. Just put them there. Gorrik wanted to rename them after all and he is already in the place.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Dreams.3128 said:

It's a 50/50 blame at this point, but people are convinced they weren't the ones that would come on here and say: "WELL, OPEN WORLD SHOULD BE EASY. WE SHOULD BE REWARDED. WE SHOULD BE THIS AND SHOULD BE THAT-". This is a perfect lesson of: be careful what you wish for. 

Easy doesnt mean bland and unispired. I dont see people complaining about dragonstorm for example. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

My issue is the lack of keys for playing the map. Chest spawn everywhere with no way to get keys unless you burn material. It like they took the model for black lion chest and put it in game.

Also the oni are missing their iconic sounds from gw1. They sound they made turnly made them terrorizing when they spawned on top of you.

12 hours ago, Kimppari.9427 said:

Here are my current impressions from the current map after leading a squad on it:

Pros:

1. The map looks visually very interesting
  2. The story is a fresh new start and certainly a change from the previous narrative, so I am excited to see where that leads us.
  3. I like the idea of having map progress at tiers, like Drizzlewood and maybe introduce this camp capture trend further, but the implementation was just poor in this case (imo).
  4. The mechanic of recharging the air filters seems interesting, and I would love to see that one being expanded even more, with masteries maybe unlocking different sections of the map (optional quests/events) to be completed. Similar to Dragon's Stand from HoT.
    1. I wish this had a bit more depth to it from the start, but hopefully we will see a change during the other part of the map.

Cons:

Breaching the camps and using turtles:

1. Killing the power cores and then breaching the gates feels terrible boring. This is simply Echowalds Research Facility Meta + Drizzlewood. Neither are interesting, and hence why the Echowald is rarely being done. Drizzlewood is at least very profitable.
  2. You could have added a new mastery or something (like the Warclaw door chain pulling mechanic from WvW).  No protective turrets that need to be destroyed or any real pushback to be fair.
  • Capturing the areas + Champions:
  1. The champions are not challenging at all and de-spawn once the area has been captured. Which makes killing them not even necessary.
  2. Capturing the areas is just AoEing a bunch of filler mobs for way too long = not enjoyable.

The individual Champions and "mini bosses":

1. These felt less challenging than bounties in PoF. I was really hoping for something challenging. The "mechanics" are also absolutely the same as the PoF bounties (the orbs, the lasers)
  2. No coordination of big breakbars were needed, no extra support adds that need killing, no enrage timers or no special mechanics. No new mechanics, either.

The last "bosses"

1. Those were just golems. Those didn't deal any damage whatsoever, and just had a humongous amount of HP for "dps golem".
  2. This was so underwhelming that I just feel bad for spending time on it.

The "loot":

1. The system with dozens of chests spread across the map for killing champions or finishing events is just plain out annoying. Getting the loot either combined at the end or in a few batches directly, without having to buy keys and open caches, is such a better concept. I really hope you revert away from this trend of making each META a chest opening fiesta. The keys for the caches are ridiculously expensive and all you get is green UI Gear and corals.
  2. Every single person in the squad reacted the same way at the end of the META, when it came to loot. Not a single Antique Summoning Stone or Amber Chunks or Gold or anything worthwhile, the amount of time it takes.

I really wish this was actually something better. Hopefully this feedback will change the rest of the map, as I highly doubt that the existing META will get buffed.

Cheers.

Here is an updated impression from the META post-patch after the rare gear has been added again.
Full squad of 50 people.

Pros:

1. The map really feels fast-paced without any long downtimes where you need to wait for NPC talk, which gives it a nice feeling.
  2. - The part of destroying these gates and opening the further caverns with the turtles seems like a good design to me
  3. - The rare gear certainly makes things a bit better (post-patch)
  4. The improvement of camps spawns chests, which can be seen on the minimap. From Tier 1 to Tier 3, the amount of chests spawned increases.
  5. The mushroom queen and similar side champions are a fun thing to incorporate to a META like this, so it doesn't feel like the whole time you are on the same track. It adds some variety. I would suggest uncapping the miner key cards for those.

Neutral: 

1. Post-META champions: Nothing really do add here. Neither good nor bad. If anything, the only bad thing (IMO), is the fact that you need a lot of miner's key cards to open the chests. If that is fixed (as mentioned below), this can much more exciting.

Cons:

1. The Air filters: The additional 2 different filters that add concentration and magic find are a bad design/implementation in its current form. They replace the existing one, removing 30 charges.
    1. Change: A better idea would be to increase the research notes price from 5-20 and then stack the filter charges with the improved concentration and magic find. 
  2. Jade Miner's Keycard from Events: seems to be capped at a number seemingly low (30-50) per day per account. If true, this is horrible.
    1. Uncap the amount of key cards you can get from the events.
  3. Ancient chest: 35 chests per account.
    1. Uncap as well.
  4. Capturing points and Champions: the champions don't seem to drop anything worthwhile, even when scaled to the maximum. The best drop was: green UI gear and x2 canthan backpacks.
    1. Champions despawn once the zone is captured. Terrible design in my opinion, as you can just ignore them and capture the point. I hope this is a bug.
    2. Champion loot bags or extra miner's key cards to the champion drops are necessary in my opinion to make those actually worth doing.
    3. This applies to all the champions outside of camps as well.
  5. The end boss: mechanics still non-existent. So here is some feedback + suggestions.
    1. The souther platform boss does a slash that covers 40% of the platform, which does only very little to no damage and a knock back. Change: make it an instant downstate or push of the platform.
    2. The phases are just way too many. No need for that many phases, especially when NOTHING changes over the course of the next phase. Change: Reduce the number of phases on those last mini-bosses.
    3. Killing them individually or at the same time doesn't seem to make any difference. Change: Add enrage mechanics whenever one of the three has been killed. Similar to Voice and Claw (Strike Mission), the Southern platform miniboss can start spamming the knockback attack around him, once of the other two has died.
  6. Loot: Here is the loot I gathered after a complete rundown of the META from start to finish in approximately 40 min:
    1. 40 blue UI gear, 135 green UI gear, 35 rare UI gear, 12 bags of stolen loot, 3 Canthan Backpacks, 1 Jade Tech Lockbox, 1 x Mini Void Brandbeast, 2 Luxon Hunter's Weapon Caches, 1 x Long-Lost Tahkayun's Weapon Stash.

Conclusion: If key cards are not capped for doing events and all the events and champions drop 3-5 key cards each time, as they normally would do before the cap kicks in, I think this can be a good META to do.

Spoiler

My guess: We haven't seen the real boss yet, so I would cut them some slack on those 3 DISGRACES of "legendary" monsters.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Well, having done this "chapter" and not LW6, as short and boring as rain, there is nothing going on, visually the map is nice, but not especially amazing either(For depths, I was still more marked by the Tangled Depths with the Chaks...), the exploration is blocked by the meta-event because we depend on people to do it, but it is also uninteresting, there is literally no interest, no lore, and a very linear exploration as with the raid maps. When the map will be deserted, we will all be stuck at 1/5 (+ similar second part), destroying any possible solo exploration, but since there are at best only 5 points of interest to explore, very uninteresting...

I finished everything and this map in about 1 hour, waiting 1 year for this is clearly taking us for idiots, so to think that we'll pay for the same thing (with at least 2 masteries, and 1 map more), it's abused, the scenario won't hold either... we'll have adventures as secondary and less developed than a raid, for the price of 27$ instead of 30$. It's clearly uninteresting, this thing brings nothing, we might as well deliver 1 more map in a mini-extension at this rate, rather than making a "fake-container" that is only there to make it look like there are regularly. The dialogues, the scenario itself as said above are also uninteresting, it's empty chatter, we learn strictly nothing, we have to check the history of the energy problems of the technology by a vulgar line of force..., in check mode, which was clearly logical from the beginning, and on top of that it was said that there was one just under the Temple of Harvest, it's ridiculous...

I hated this chapter, and I won't go back there, this area will be emptied quickly, and those who want to try something will be blocked because there will be no one there anymore....
If this is what mini-extensions are all about, I won't be doing it, because it's clearly a scam. 😠

Edited by rylien.3824
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, Raizel.8175 said:

Sorry, but the average GW2 player isn't all that great gameplay-wise. What you're writing simply means punishing people for bad other players. It also seems that some of the defiance bars are too strong - but maybe I just had bad luck with the players I've done the meta with yesterday.

The average gw2 player has encountered break bars many times before reaching this episode. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Shadowmoon.7986 said:

My issue is the lack of keys for playing the map. Chest spawn everywhere with no way to get keys unless you burn material. It like they took the model for black lion chest and put it in game.

Someone should use the mask that has 10 charges and Magic Find (protect you from conditions on internals) and create a spreadsheet . It sounds like the IBS "hardmode debuffs" and they might offer more key or get punished more by the bosses attacks , or they are  might be bugged

Edited by Woof.8246
  • Confused 1

Hello,

I am underwhelmed with the content we got for this patch on February 28th. I hope we get some fixes soon to make this better, as I am not hoping this is the level of content we get from now on for my most played game with almost 12K  hours in it, playing it from day one. So curious to see what Anet does and if the listen to what we prefer. Things I would like to change:

- Gyala Delve map:the Idea of a dragonstand kind of map is fine with me. But you can only run it once per day. Anet keeps bragging of all the content they have, but next to some raids, the daily strike and running some drizzlewood or infusion trains there is not much to do (not fan of pvp / wvw) The new map with the mechanics are fine, but we dont have enough Jade miners keycards. Buying these keycards with research notes is rediculous as it does not pay off. You even lose money.... Its fine to pay with karma, but loose the research notes...

If I compare this with drizzlewood it does not even come close to a fun rewarding map now. And if you make content, make it fun in the long run. If we had more Drizzlewoods, or maps like Gyala the amount of keys now I would get. But as most maps are standard and when you completed it, you never come back, there is actual a problem with the amount of content in this game. 

People should decide for themselves if they want to run Gyala delves 10 times per day or only once. But now its waste of time with no keys. So lose the research notes, or give more drops of keys (or like in drizzlewood soms chest with keys). 

- I got a few crashes when at the end of the meta. When i log back in. I cant get in as map is closing, while some extra bosses needs to be killed still. I cant open the chests anymore. So ran like 45 minutes and then no access to the map cause of crashes. Fix this, or make it possible to come back in

- The soo Wun (or how it is spelled) legendary weapon skin is sooooooo bad.. So super underwhelming. My god. I am soo dissaspointed with this. We already have an ice variant. Its like the same, but more blue and bit water coming out of it. Its almost copy paste of the jormag one. I was hoping for a corrupted version. More black ghostly style like in DE end boss or the enemies. Sooooooo very sad this. Would look cool to have a ghostly kind of weapon for like my necro. 

It will probably not change, but this is really a bummer. And what i read on reddit and see on youtube people are not really happy.

So to sum up:

- more keys for the new map (for instance not to pay with research notes / or more drops). all those maps and content is quantity not quality maps. so give us the keys so I have some change and not only have to run drizzlewood

-  Fix those crashes (oh and i still get mail from that vendor)

- do something about that last legendary skin instead this copy paste action

I am sad to see where this game is going. Hopefully some changes will be made.

I cant stop talking about how bad this soo wun skin is.. so sad!

Well propbly waste of my time this... would be suprised as veteran of this game to get a response....

Regards, 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

I have not explored the entire map yet as I'm still finishing the story, and joined as the last part of meta was going so I did that instead.  

So far though, the story is a nice change from elder dragons and champions and I'm interested to see where it goes.   

The map is lovely and interesting, I look forward to a full exploration.  However I am not loving the air filters...they really need to stack.  End of the meta and I was gasping with no way to get back to a recharge station.  Keys need to be more plentiful, so many chests everywhere.  I did get a nice pile of mats, stuff to sell, and a mystic coin from...somewhere?  Most people seemed to be enjoying the Drizzlewood style of the map.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Farohna.6247 said:

I have not explored the entire map yet as I'm still finishing the story, and joined as the last part of meta was going so I did that instead.  

So far though, the story is a nice change from elder dragons and champions and I'm interested to see where it goes.   

The map is lovely and interesting, I look forward to a full exploration.  However I am not loving the air filters...they really need to stack.  End of the meta and I was gasping with no way to get back to a recharge station.  Keys need to be more plentiful, so many chests everywhere.  I did get a nice pile of mats, stuff to sell, and a mystic coin from...somewhere?  Most people seemed to be enjoying the Drizzlewood style of the map.  

You are supposed to recharge the air filters after each camp capture. There is a Jade Battery and another Vendor for the filters at each camp.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Haven't done it yet.

Is there a possible Mesmer portal strat to keep everyone in air filters?

No. The filter replenishers are often too far away and you need an unused Jade battery nearby. It’s a mess of a system which doesn’t work and needs removing asap whilst they think of a more suitable and natural mechanic 

• Like 13