Overly Bright Dyes & Item Effects [Merged]

It's getting more and more common to have these ridiculously blindingly bright characters in game these days! Please add a setting to REDUCE player dyes/glow effects.

It doesn't matter whether you play on max settings or minimum settings, these stupidly bright effects can be extremely annoying! What about people with disabilities? Those of us who prefer to play in a darker room with low light on the screen to help with headaches, are suddenly overcome with the blinding bright light from these players have no control over!

Example

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 2

To the OP, have you tried altering the Character Model Quality setting within the in game graphic settings and seeing if that helps a little? If you set it to lowest, you end up just seeing a generic model for light/medium/heavy classes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, Sparetent.9756 said:

It's getting more and more common to have these ridiculously blindingly bright characters in game these days! Please add a setting to REDUCE player dyes/glow effects.

It doesn't matter whether you play on max settings or minimum settings, these stupidly bright effects can be extremely annoying! What about people with disabilities? Those of us who prefer to play in a darker room with low light on the screen to help with headaches, are suddenly overcome with the blinding bright light from these players have no control over!

Example

I agree, I would like to have a standard models setting for PvE.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Jin.8501 said:

Sad part about this is the glowy people think it's cool 

Some of it is. I’ve seen well designed glowy, even though a lot is not.

Also, I’m sure not every player with a lightshow character thinks it’s cool. Some are clearly going for humor or just reveling in the gawdiness for gawdiness sake. It’s kin to camp and drag.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

It's quite useful to easily see players who put much of their self-esteem into making pixels eye-wrenchingly bright. Makes it more fulfilling to crafting a non-shiny consistent look more fitting to the game setting.

As long as there are players projecting themselves completely into a game, the easier a gameplay experience the rest of us.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

I love this game, but if MMOs have taught me anything, it's that most people have really, really, really bad taste. Playing GW2 as someone with even a rudimentary understanding of color theory is it's own special kind of Greek hell.

Hopefully once the DX11 migration is complete, they can start adding more graphics options and separate the post-processing effects. Would go a long way to even just be able to turn down the Elder Scrolls: Oblivion levels of mid 2000s bloom lighting.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Well.   Many players wear bland attire nine hours a day, five days a week, at their jobs.  Many players are spending most of their adult life surrounded by muted or dark colors  It is small wonder many players would chose to wear flamboyant effects and vibrant colors in game. 
I used to think that players simply needed to be educated in aesthetics. Now I think that the eye piercing effects and colors are a release of sorts.  At least in Tyria players can wear what they want, in the colors they want, and no one can really stop them.   Irl many people visually conform, even in their casual clothes, even during their free time. At least in Tyria a player can't easily be shunned or peer pressured into changing clothes.

• Like 3
  • Confused 4

I have to say: this game is more and more unplayable, thanks to all visual clutter caused mainly by new Legendary Weapons.

I hope ANet will understand that we NEED to see the game and enemies, not flashy effects. I want to play Guild Wars 2, not Guess What's On The Picture. Of course I can lower character limit&quality to lowest, but it's not enough.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1