looking back 10 years, i wish i had rolled an ele or necro

Invoker.5462

All classes seem to have had their hour of fame.

But ele and necro have always had a place in all aspects of the game. At no point would wonder if a necro or an ele will be a useless addition to a group.

Unfortunately, not everyone has picked these two classes.
In fact, a human elementalist would have been the most likely to stick around the longest. As the human has the best camera angle, and elementalism has never suffered an identity crisis in any part of the game. 

They would have saved a lot of production money had they removed professions and races and had the human elementalist the only playable thing in the game. It seems as though this profession is used as a benchmark for every other profession, and has recieved the largest number of minor tweaks throughout the years.

The necro, in a similar vein, has always been a safe bet. You'd be safe in your assumption that a group of necros and ele's could get through 100% of the content in gw2 without much of a struggle.

Unfortunately i mained warrior and engineer, and have been constantly cut down from being a fan boy to completely and totally pessimistic about class balance for this game.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 34
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, lezbefriends.7516 said:

I find it amusing that the two spellcaster classes are melee. Really turns away strategical players.

I main everything. This isn't that other MMO, where you're stuck with what you picked.

Most players aren't going to realistically have the time or the mental bandwidth to make the most of every class in the game and their specializations. This is especially true for completionists  

• Like 4
  • Confused 13

1 minute ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

So, those times in first years where being a necro (or a ranger) might have gotten you kicked from a dungeon party did not exist. Duly noted.

Actually, i was there for the first couple of years and that didn't happen at all for necro. Ranger yes, but there was never a situation where a necro wasn't a good addition to a party within any game mode, unless there were already too many of them in the party 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 26

9 minutes ago, Invoker.5462 said:

Actually, i was there for the first couple of years and that didn't happen at all for necro. Ranger yes, but there was never a situation where a necro wasn't a good addition to a party within any game mode, unless there were already too many of them in the party 

yeah no you defo got kicked out of some dungeon groups as a necro in vanilla. Its one of the oldest memes in the game and me and alot of my friends have experienced it myself lmao.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Invoker.5462 said:

Yea necros got kicked aswell mate, the reason for that was necros conditions do not work on structures  in said dungeons go into ascalon catacombs with a core necro team and find out.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Invoker.5462 said:

A friend of mine made a guardian specifically because his necro main was getting kicked so often. I think you are misremembering.

The usual dungeon groups were: warrior, mesmer (later replaced by another warrior) and elemtalist (especially for those that focused the ice bow shots into a small area or used fiery greatsword into a wall).

The usual fractal groups where similar with more of a focus on having 1 guardian or mesmer, especially for Volcanic and reflect. Elemenatlists where good to have for mass aoe blind, especially in Cliffside.

Necro and ranger where pretty much bullied out of any instanced content with some LFGs specifically mentioning not wanting those classes (next to AP requirements, level 80, etc.).

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Invoker.5462 said:

Most players aren't going to realistically have the time or the mental bandwidth to make the most of every class in the game and their specializations.

This is just false.

This is especially true for completionists  

And "completionist" doesn't mean what you apparently think it does.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

Unfortunately i mained warrior and engineer, and have been constantly cut down from being a fan boy to completely and totally pessimistic about class balance for this game.

From a PvPers perspective:

I played a significant amount of every class over the years since launch, and the biggest issue with trying to apply hindsight is that you might have ended up even more disappointed if you did pick a different class even one that's been 'good' longest.

For me, I've immensely disliked the 'redesigns' many of my favorite classes have gone through. Engineer was my main and so many amazing playstyles were flat out removed, same with necro, and ele, and dragonhunter, and thief.

Stuff I miss:
Back when necro's were gods at corrupting boons.(PVP)
Back when Dragon Hunters actually had reaction time on LB#3 and dmg with CC's.(PVP)
Back when Engineer had fun traits(dodging preventing CD on toolbelt skills: 60s cooldown, HGH: Condi cleanse), Elixir R being a stun break, day one mortar kit before they gutted the dmg by 23% or something)
Back when Ele's could do burst dmg with their AoE field attacks before the 10% stacking dmg reduction per hit(PvE). Also some of their support traits gutted.(PvP).

I could go on for days about what was taken from classes that leave them feeling like an empty shell of their former glory. So my recommendation is to look on whatever bright side there is for your situation and roll with it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

I'm sure at some point in those last ten years, OP had the opportunity to play noe of the other classes, seeing that, even w/o the gemstore, players have 5 character slots available.
Also: I remember the "no necros"-days of the lfg.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Invoker.5462 said:

They would have saved a lot of production money had they removed professions and races and had the human elementalist the only playable thing in the game. It seems as though this profession is used as a benchmark for every other profession, and has recieved the largest number of minor tweaks throughout the years.

I smell a hint of sarcasm or is it me ? yeah it's so good on a static golem you see them everywhere in endgame ... back before tempest was a beast cause of might sharing , but today all support belch might like no tomorrow ...

59 minutes ago, Randulf.7614 said:

Maining human Ele since 2012

And I still suck with it 😄

I share that feeling 😢

Edited by zeyeti.8347
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, zeyeti.8347 said:

I smell a hint of sarcasm or is it me ? yeah it's so good on a static golem you see them everywhere in endgame ... back before tempest was a beast cause of might sharing , but today all support belch might like no tomorrow ...

I share that feeling 😢

Bizarrely though, Weaver is the one I can get the best out of, but I am loving my Catalyst right now

2 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:
4 hours ago, Invoker.5462 said:

Most players aren't going to realistically have the time or the mental bandwidth to make the most of every class in the game and their specializations.

This is just false.

So... Most players make the most of every class in the game and their specializations in this game?
Cool. This game sounds like a really simple and very special MMO. Thank you Captain Anet!

• Confused 7

13 hours ago, Invoker.5462 said:

But ele and necro have always had a place in all aspects of the game. At no point would wonder if a necro or an ele will be a useless addition to a group.

lol
rofl, even

maybe a lmao if I care to

Necro was pretty much instakick from anything until Scourge appeared.
Ele was meta before elite specs, and then disappeared for half a decade.

• Like 10

14 hours ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

A friend of mine made a guardian specifically because his necro main was getting kicked so often.

Exactly the same here, I literally just made a Guardian (which then became my main for years) for getting into endgame group content, because the kick rate for playing Necro was so high for about 80% of GW2's lifetime. 

Hell, I remember joining groups while happening to be on my Necro, and being kicked so fast that I was already gone by the time I had instantly logged onto another profession that I actually intended to join with.

13 hours ago, Omega.6801 said:

Also: I remember the "no necros"-days of the lfg.

Yep, actually was a thing.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Halandir.3609 said:

So... Most players make the most of every class in the game and their specializations in this game?
Cool. This game sounds like a really simple and very special MMO. Thank you Captain Anet!

To be perfectly fair, what is meant by "most players"?  Is it the same as the poster that insisted that the tutorial needed to run to level 80 because "nobody dodges"?  I mean, I had my guildmates in swtor asking me what the hell I was doing, because my character would suddenly take a couple of steps in a seemingly random direction, because I was trying to dodge...  Or, maybe it's the "everyone I know says" thing, where we're not supposed to question how many people that actually is?

I mean, for myself, I found that in some daily events, I wasn't getting participation because I couldn't close fast enough to get any tags on mobs, so I went to my dual pistol build for the back bar, so that I could range some mobs to get credit for being there.  I don't do group content here, in fact, I specifically play here to get away from it, since it's not required for anything but achievements, that I don't really care about.  Yet, I can still adapt my builds for content, when I need to.  Saying "most people don't" seems very hyperbolic, because I'd be willing to bet that the OP, or yourself, haven't played with "most people" in the game.  I freely admit that I have no idea whether most people do or not, but I also don't try to take my limited experience to say one way or the other.

• Like 1

Necro didn't used to be a safe bet.

In PvE Necro used to be the worst class in the game for groups and events. For the first year (or two?) when poison only stacked duration, bleed only went to 25 stacks on a single mob. Maybe you could have one necro - but after that they started to cancel one another out. Got to the point where they were specifically forbidden on half the LFGs.

• Like 2

This is and always was a game were it is advantageous to have and play all classes. If there is something to regret, than that you fixated on a main class for a longer time and ignored the other.

Edited by Dayra.7405
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

You main warrior. Be glad you did not make the mistake of prostrating yourself before the lowly elements or the foolish dead. You are a warrior! Hold your head high and look to the horizon, where the infinite world of opportunity awaits only those who have dedicated themselves to the tribulations of war and dominance. 
Ask your self; would you really be content being carried by impotent icicles or the contemptible curses? Do you really want to submit yourself to the folly of fire or the drudgery of death? 
Nay! No self-respecting person would! How much sweeter it is to drag your sword up the rocky path of tribulation, to feel your legs grow strong and thick with each plateau you mount and conquer, until you stand at the glory of the heights peak looking out upon a view that the lesser professions shall never see for themselves. 
Listen, my brother of war, when doubts creep in, dash them against the rocks like infants during a winter solstice. Remember that you are warrior! Pain and suffering, they are your lifeblood, they are your purpose. Through the doubts and the misgivings you shall grow bigger, grow faster, grow stronger. Until all shall cower before your hulking figure and flee in the face of your overwhelming force.

Edited by oscuro.9720
  • Thanks 3