How will "Hide player visual effects" impact gem store items?

As someone who has spent quite a bit of money on gem store items, I see a lot of people saying they are going to disable player visual effects.

What I am understanding is that "visual effects" includes minis, pets, etc. "Disable player item sounds" already impacts instruments. To me, it sounds like what it is going to do is just set everything to their default models and what not. At which point, what is the point of buying visual items on the gem store if probably half, if not more, of the player base wont even see it?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 16
  • Confused 21
  • Sad 3

36 minutes ago, FelixWolf.2348 said:

As someone who has spent quite a bit of money on gem store items, I see a lot of people saying they are going to disable player visual effects.

What I am understanding is that "visual effects" includes minis, pets, etc. "Disable player item sounds" already impacts instruments. To me, it sounds like what it is going to do is just set everything to their default models and what not. At which point, what is the point of buying visual items on the gem store if probably half, if not more, of the player base wont even see it?

Dont you buy them because you like them?

What do it matter if other people dont see them.

Abit extreme but this is why ppl want to disable other peoples effects.

Edited by Linken.6345
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Dont you buy them because you like them?

What do it matter if other people dont see them.

Abit extreme but this is why ppl want to disable other peoples effects.

I do like them, but part of the fun is to be able to show them off to people.

While I understand infusions and what not can be obnoxious, I don't think all visual items should be disabled. What I am getting from the idea is that all visual items will be disabled, not just the really big/heavy visual items.

Edited by FelixWolf.2348
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 10
  • Sad 1

I thought this would only affect skill effects in combat? Not things like infusions or weapon and armour skins. It's a way of allowing you to see enemies, red circles etc. in big groups, not enabling standard models in PvE.

But even if it does affect gem store stuff I agree the simple answer is to buy things you like, just because you like them and not worry about what anyone else thinks. But even if you are worried about other people's opinions the likely solution is that only people who don't want to see those things are going to turn on this option, so it's not going to make a difference to people seeing and liking what you've done with your character.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

I hope it affects all, or at least most, of the Gem Store bling bling, as well as ingame earned bling bling. You buy the unnecessary increase in shininess for yourself, exclusively for yourself.

Others should not have to see your passive particle vomit, if they don't want to. It's long overdue that something beneficial is being done on that front.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 4

9 hours ago, FelixWolf.2348 said:

Just so you know, there is already an option to set every player to default character model. There is a good chance that most ppl already sees your character in that default model 😄

Edited by sokeenoppa.5384
  • Like 13

2 hours ago, sokeenoppa.5384 said:

Just so you know, there is already an option to set every player to default character model. There is a good chance that most ppl already sees your character in that default model

People with bad computers even don't have to chose that option actively 😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 10
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, sokeenoppa.5384 said:

Just so you know, there is already an option to set every player to default character model. There is a good chance that most ppl already sees your character in that default model 😄

Model limit would could make you entirely invisible

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, FelixWolf.2348 said:

The point is you buy it because you like it. You don't know if others can see it or if they even care. For all you know they only see the generic armor and weapons because of visual settings. Based on that fact alone, spending gold/money on gemstore items to show off to other people sounds completely pointless. Do you buy your clothes irl only to show off to people, or because you actually like the clothes? It's the same pointless principle. But if it makes you happy running around in gemstore items, assuming people can see it and actually take the time to, you do you.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

"Disable player item sounds" already impacts instruments.

It does not. Player instruments have a separate slider.

To me, it sounds like what it is going to do is just set everything to their default models and what not.

I doubt that, but I agree that there should be separate options for a variety of visual noise causing things, not just one general option setting.

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

On 5/28/2023 at 9:14 PM, FelixWolf.2348 said:

You do realize that you are spending money so that the character will look the way YOU want it to look?  If you want to be a gigantic glowing Norn who is max height and size, that doesn't mean the rest of us who bought the game should be forced to look at it.  Not to mention the potential seizure inducing effects that a lot of the game has going on.  So, why should anothers' ability to turn off the distraction so they can actually see the game affect you or gem store sales?

The game is 11 years old, and I still don't know what any of the bosses in the game look like because every fight is like a giant disco exploded on the boss.  This is a welcome, and long overdue change.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

If you buy gemstore items to show off, you’re doing it wrong. If this setting hides these items (which I don’t think it will since it did say skill effects) and people choose to hide them, they are not interested in seeing your shinies anyway. And they will not be impressed by your purchases but rather appalled by it. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

11 hours ago, TheNecrosanct.4028 said:

The point is you buy it because you like it. You don't know if others can see it or if they even care. For all you know they only see the generic armor and weapons because of visual settings. Based on that fact alone, spending gold/money on gemstore items to show off to other people sounds completely pointless. Do you buy your clothes irl only to show off to people, or because you actually like the clothes? It's the same pointless principle. But if it makes you happy running around in gemstore items, assuming people can see it and actually take the time to, you do you.

I've always been in the camp that half the point of looking good is for other people to see me.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 2

I think people should be allowed to pick what they want to see and what they dont wanna see .. that way i think u make most happy. But big backpacks legendary trinkets and infusions effects they are the most annoying for most 

Edited by Nightcore.5621
  • Like 7

Buy them because YOU like them, not just to peacock.  Some people really are affected by the excess of particles, especially in combat.  Those who wish to see I'm sure will have it as normal. 

Personally, I have my character for my visual interest, and if someone else likes it that's great, but ultimately I'm the one who looks at it for x hours per day.   I have no issue if someone else doesn't want to see my radiance.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Kind of a selfish mindset tbh regardless of how it works. Not everyone's PC or eyes/ears can handle certain effects. Not everyone's going to use the options anyways. Accessability is more important than someone's vanity. I just hope there's a large variaty of options to choose from, but it's probably just going to be like FFXIV's or less.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

On 5/29/2023 at 11:14 AM, FelixWolf.2348 said:

My thoughts too. It's like you bought an expensive dress, all shiny and pretty but only you are able to see all its shine and glamour, the rest of the salty World would choose to see your dress in dull black and white because they couldn't afford it. Won't be buying expensive dresses anymore for sure... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 11