227 members have voted

1. 1. Did you enjoy beta?

• Beta was amazing and looking forward to the release
    • It was slight improvement from normal WvW
    • Don't really think it was better or worse
    • It wasn't great. Missed old system.
    • Betaweeks were absolutely terrible for me

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/24/2023 at 04:55 PM

Considering my log in time probably isn't great, I still don't miss the old system, but I'd take that over these past couple of weeks. I have seen some organized squads and blobs rolling around but it feels like it's all repositioning until 3 sides melt away before anything happens, or it's one side far out pacing the rest and killing a bunch of runners. 

I gotta try to get our main guild to scoop up as many NSP usuals as they can because I'm gauging these new allies' capabilities and effort wrong when we hit up anything. That would still only fill up a small part of a Team though. 

• Sad 2

11 minutes ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

Despite me choosing my Guild for the Beta, i didnt get on the correct Server. Like many others.

When i got my second chance to choose the second week, it didnt work at all.

Since there was no "second chance" on the second week, I'd wonder if the first time choosing was done correctly.

Once you've selected a WvW Guild, you would follow it for the entirety of the season (can go up to 8 weeks, this time it was 2 weeks) and have the same team with the same allies (random pugs, other guilds) for the same amount of time.

Selecting a Guild for WvW is not just representing it, but make sure to have it checked in the World Restructuring tab - there was also a visual bug sadly.

• Sad 2

6 minutes ago, ManiacMika.9851 said:

Since there was no "second chance" on the second week, I'd wonder if the first time choosing was done correctly.

Once you've selected a WvW Guild, you would follow it for the entirety of the season (can go up to 8 weeks, this time it was 2 weeks) and have the same team with the same allies (random pugs, other guilds) for the same amount of time.

Selecting a Guild for WvW is not just representing it, but make sure to have it checked in the World Restructuring tab - there was also a visual bug sadly.

I got the option to choose a team again shorty before the reset for the second beta weekend.

It did even tell me "please choose a team".

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Riba.3271 said:

Rate your experience past 2 betaweeks. Did you have good time?

I had fun exploring with my 3 accounts the different leaders that were all mixed in random teams.
Cool [ff] leading btw!

The WvW was WvW. Nothing different in my eyes.
And I truly believe the sole intention of Anet was to see if 1up-1down works.
It does work.

Some bug was discovered with the queue.
I think there was also the Locks bug at reset.
Those will probably get fixed in the next Beta.

Can't wait to see how the Alliance system will work with
- Single-member guilds
- 400+ member guilds
- Casual PvX guilds

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

I got the option to choose a team again shorty before the reset for the second beta weekend.

It did even tell me "please choose a team".

That was a bug.  It was mentioned in the Known Issues post Anet made.

"Some players are experiencing an erroneous message during Weekly Reset indicating that “WvW Information is not visible”. This message is expected in the time gap between the end of one matchup and the beginning of the next. If the message persists after the match has started, you can resolve the issue by relogging or changing maps."

WvW information not visible.  So your panel thinks you can join a team again.

Edited by Chaba.5410
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I wonder how much of the votes correlate to how well their server did in the match up vs how well they do regularly.

I put slightly positive because in my estimation, my assigned server did slightly better, which means I got more pips/tick than I normally would.

But for those that did worse, I would expect that to also get reflected in the vote.

But one negative I do have is that on the server based assignment, I know some of the regular commanders, who have been around for many matchups.  But for this 'reshuffle based on guilds every 8 weeks', unless there is a commander in your guild, you'll potentially be seeing new commanders every 8 weeks, and not really have an idea which ones know what they are doing and which don't.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chaba.5410 said:

That was a bug.  It was mentioned in the Known Issues post Anet made.

"Some players are experiencing an erroneous message during Weekly Reset indicating that “WvW Information is not visible”. This message is expected in the time gap between the end of one matchup and the beginning of the next. If the message persists after the match has started, you can resolve the issue by relogging or changing maps."

WvW information not visible.  So your panel thinks you can join a team again.

Ohh ok. Thx for the info.

Ja-ja, we no-sayers still „dont unsterstand“ how the WR system is supposed to work 😉 What the yes-sayers including Anet Devs still dont understand, even after the 10th or so Betas, is how the WR stystem will truely work. When they claim that Betas and WR have better balance:

(1) major reason: its because there are no mass transfers after team-creation

(2) major reason: there are enough link partners for everyone (EU needs to open 3 more servers)

(3) both things could easily be implemented by Anet without destroying servers and their long-grown communities

(4) Anet should have and most likely would have tested and implemented that already 4 years ago, but it is delayed because they try to implement this completely stupid garbage called „World Obstructioning“

(5) shrinking the big servers to basically mini-servers (aka Alliances) does not contribute to match balance, because you not just limit servers to 500 accounts, but you give the players full control, so they just stack 500 professionals, or 500 off-time PPTlers etc. and again dominate

(6) deleting the server communities also screws skirmish balance,

because most casuals dont have a guild or alliance, so they lose their access to server voice and public raids with above-average Coms and now face

full-organized professional Alliance blobs vs. homeless unorganized randoms 🤣

(7) if every team has such Alliance blobs, it can result in equal warscore and K/D at the end of the match, but that just turns WvW in a completely unbalanced version of EotM 2.0 with endless Karma trains

1 hour ago, Solvar.7953 said:

But one negative I do have is that on the server based assignment, I know some of the regular commanders, who have been around for many matchups.  But for this 'reshuffle based on guilds every 8 weeks', unless there is a commander in your guild, you'll potentially be seeing new commanders every 8 weeks, and not really have an idea which ones know what they are doing and which don't.

Yup, that is a big downgrade. Also the Coms dont know their followers, and there is no server-based voice chat. So, this Beta was just a big waste of time for me, where I tried to find out what the Com is up to, only to find out that they either suck or just want to play their own made-up game mode like „solely open-field PPK“.

Same with scout calls, and language differences in general, low motivation to upgrade and defend stuff for the „team“, and so on . . .

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

Was sorta meh, but on the plus side I get to kill my server mates so there's that.

Hey, that boot that you left on my face, it smells like moldy cheese, you should see a doctor about that. That or we should have some greens ready for server pasta night, that blue-cheese dressing will be a hit on those bitter greens. Blue-cheese dressing is subpar unless it makes you angry while you eat. 🙂 

• Haha 3

Beta Weeks are always great, because you get to have the buff for more WxP. Other than that (and missing the first week completely due to RL stuff), I did not have a lot of fun:
- single/small group roaming was dominated by people rushing camps with 2 min of RI and killing off dollies as fast as possible, caring not an ounce for other allies visibly closing on on the camp or dolly. This happened a lot and repeatedly and I haven't seen that kind of behaviour on my server or in older betas.
- actual kill trading between larger guild groups for an extended period of time. I could witness them wiping each other repeatedly, giving a few survivors time and space to rezz and going on repeat. In the meantime most of the map got taken over, while two "allied guilds with 15+ people each had "fun" near south camp. I have never seen that on my regular server and I am not looking forward to seeing it again.

On top of that, my main WvW guild had some guild drama, the higher ups did reshuffle ranks and I got put into a rank with no claim rights etc. without warning or a head's up.

• Like 2

Well, it was just another beta in phase 1 because the Alliances (phase 2) weren't ready for the beta yet, but they were announced as beta for the summer.

Therefore, nothing significantly new was really tested that could have been evaluated. It was just a "let's mix it all up" event to give some variety in WvW and you could have done "Did you enjoy zerging" or "Rate your last link" polls as well.

My guess (because there are always losers and winners): The survey will be relatively balanced.

It has been two awesome weeks. I've joined a PvE guild a while ago, with a small ambition for WvW. We have some more and less experienced players as well as some people who have never set foot into WvW. We ran private squads, not to mess with the real professionals. Did a couple of WvW nights with larger groups of the guild. Everyone in the guild had a good time and we did get a lot of loot. We have probably sparked an interested in this game mode for a handful of players, who may continue after the beta as well. 

The player-cap situation was OK, but not so great. A lot of times we were not able to switch maps with the entire group. Looking forward to the next beta.

Edited by HnRkLnXqZ.1870
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Beta was slightly better than the current matchup, because of less/no queues and enemies not getting run over all the time (my current world is pretty overpopulated due to linking and bandwagoning), but not much change compared to my overall long term WvW experience, so i picked the neutral option.

For solo roaming and small scale with guildies population balance and "pug population" isn't that relevant, as long there is some action to be had, so i don't expect alliances to change much for me. And so far my beta experience matches that expectation.

8 hours ago, enkidu.5937 said:

(5) shrinking the big servers to basically mini-servers (aka Alliances) does not contribute to match balance, because you not just limit servers to 500 accounts, but you give the players full control, so they just stack 500 professionals, or 500 off-time PPTlers etc. and again dominate

One difference balance-wise is that while players can stack an alliance they cannot stack an entire world as players have no control over the other alliances and players that they get grouped with.  If we assume 2500 players per world an alliance will make up at most one fifth of the world population so I would expect that stacking will be less of an issue than currently.  On the potential upside there is the potential for two alliances with 500 "professionals" each to be facing off against one another which should make for pretty great gaming.  It will be interesting to see how things play out and whether 500 gamers can actually be corralled into coherent 500 player alliances.

• Like 1

I voted not great, though my team won both weeks. Reasoning for my negative vote was there was an overabundance of activity seen from my server and all enemy servers, except that activity felt more like I was in Eotm back in 2014. There seemed to be more players than ever but most just had the karma train mentality, and while I know anet wanted as many people as possible for this test to make sure guild selection and resetting matchups for 1u1d could work between automatic matchup resets, I am sad that we still aren't at the point where they are testing the population balance aspect and have normal wvw populations that aren't inflated with call to war buffs and the like.

This mixed in with that stream of their balance of what they think boons and boon rips should be make me start to waver.

• Like 1

I voted "Don't really think it was better or worse" last evening, but after one night of rejoining the Gandara night train after these two beta weeks, I have to say beta was definitely worse. The reasoning being that beta felt more like filling time, often solo/duoing things late evening/night but trying to profit from the Call of War buff by flipping paper keeps, while this one night of the Gandara train really felt like coming home and was more fun than any day of the beta since it was way more fast paced and the fights against Baruch were organised from both sides, something that simply didn't happen during the beta (and I played a lot during the beta, like 40-50 hours/week and going up nearly 500 wvw ranks). Servers just offer way more structured gameplay compared to alliances at the moment. 
The only really fun time during the beta was when the other two teams kept coming for SM and we kept insta wiping both of them for like 30-45mins straight until they finally went to other objectives.

For me the two most positive things about the beta were the Call of War buff and that I finally learnt how thieves are exploiting sword 2/staff 5 to get into all of the keeps and some of the towers because up until the beta, we were reporting thieves for months while not knowing how they actually got in. Now at least I can say with 100% confidence that it's not by hiding when a wall happened to be open or while the other team was capping, but by exploiting. I happened to be thrown into an alliance that had at least two thieves that were doing it in plain sight for everyone to see so now at least we know what spots the scouts need to look out for thieves, since reporting them doesn't do anything. Reported them multiple times the first two days of the beta even though they were in the same team, but two weeks later after they've been doing the same things day in/day out, they were still there. I guess bans don't exist anymore or the ones handing them out have been on holiday for the past two weeks :classic_ninja:

• Like 2

Much better experience for me, as the population was more evenly spread out during all 24 hrs, and the zergs on my team can actually put up a fight this time, which means I can hop in any time of the day, expect no que, and some action here or there.

I expect a poll put up on the forums to always end in a negative result, since that is the nature of online opinion expression.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

they they to work on the balance of the 3 servers in the matchups  as their were no large guild on ours as well as the coverage. we were at such a disadvantage that most of the guilds gave up by the second day of the week. when its 50+ vs 30+ your odds are low on winning.

• Like 1

You did not have an option that covered my opinion, someone might have said what I am saying, but I did not feel like reading everything, feel free to down vote me for this.  The balance seemed bery bad, it might have leveled out if the beta had gone longer to allow settling to happen.  Basically, 2 weeks is still not enough to determine if the system can create teams that will be balance enough to, eventually, create 4 interesting tiers in such a way that teams are not trying to not move up because they know they will be slaughtered.

Well. My vote goes based on the population from my friends list that played the beta.  And i detected that 1/3 of the regular players from my friends list never joined the beta. That is a 33% loss of regular players from my list.  Around other 1/3 were always there, the hardcorde side mainly, they will play it even if the alliances is the most sh*t ever. They live there literally severals hours each day, so it doesn't matter how good or bad allliances are, they'll play anyways.  So i was curious of the other more or less 33% that regularly plays  from my friends, so i whispered them about it, etc ,etc. And part were curious but the majority were playing for the beta achievements.  So my feeling is not good, and also that the achievements masked the real impact of the change.

Let's see the next beta.... Hopefully i'm going to return to my server from now and enjoy playing with them and also getting my last leggy before the alliances hit again.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2