Who else spends a thousand years coming up with character names?

Surely I can't be the only person who spends ages to come up with a character name right? I've been sitting here trying to think of something now for over an hour. Pretty soon the game is gonna kick me out of character creation. 🤣

• Like 12
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

It can take me a long time to name permanent characters, but I usually start the process before I go into the character creator. I always have a theme for my characters which influences what they look like, how they play and helps me decide what their name is, so I'll usually at least have some ideas before I get there. Sometimes it changes slightly depending on how they end up looking or how the name looks written down in the game, or because it's taken and I have to tweak it slightly. But even then it helps a lot to have an idea of what I'm going for before I need to type it in.

With tempoary characters I will usually put a lot less thought into it. Sometimes it's still tied to a theme but I'm not so worried about if it's a perfect fit or something I really want to use because it's only tempoary (although some of my permanent characters started off as tempoary ones I kept remaking). Sometimes I'll literally just type things that look like names into the box until I get a result which isn't taken.

• Like 5

I'm the opposite, I've got a list of fantastic toon names but I don't need any more toons and can't bring myself to buy a new slot just bc I have an awesome name I want to use . . .

I do check the list from time to time tho, just to make sure the names are still available ; )

• Like 2

All my toons named in 2013 when was into a certain fiction series. 

But now I look at my character names that sounds more like old school D&D roleplay names and I stand out for being too immersive in a sea of names that look more leet speak ...like JoesBigHairyCharrs!

Wait.....! No one take that name...till I get a new character tab!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Xperiment.6923 said:

like JoesBigHairyCharrs

That's because everything else they tried was taken and after 4 tries and hours of thinking they just got impatient. I've an Asura with such a stupid name and I've an item for changing the name and everytime I think of something and try to rename it... it's taken. It's kitten taken. And I use German for names, not even English (must be worse in English). Even the German names consisting of two parts, I try, are taken.

Edited by Lucy.3728

11 hours ago, circuitnerd.5863 said:

Surely I can't be the only person who spends ages to come up with a character name right? I've been sitting here trying to think of something now for over an hour. Pretty soon the game is gonna kick me out of character creation. 🤣

https://www.fantasynamegenerators.com/

It even has a section specifically for Guild Wars race names which can be found from the main page by clicking on the "Pop Culture" heading then Guild Wars.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

online generations are your best friend, theres tons of it for things u can't even imagine.

once time i wanted a spanish souding name, but i had rout out of ideas.

of course don't need stick to it, but surely it can help you "unstuck" of unimaginative situation.

Edited by ugrakarma.9416

I make a list of potential names first - usually from baby name sites. 
Of course they are all taken, so I now make titles based on the character concept to go with the names. 
Titles are things like "The Bold" "The Traveler" "The Alchemist" "Of Darkness" "The Joyful One" 

For one character I combined letters from my real life name for a truly unique name. So if your name was John Smith - You could get Jost, Thon, Mith, etc. 

20,000 Names is a good website to peruse if you're struggling with names as well. Can sort by special categories/themes and most names come with origins and definitions.

If you're rolling a Sylvari, you can always tack on their birth cycle to the end in case the base name is taken. IE, "-Of Dusk", "-Of Dawn", "Nightbloom", "Noonbloom", etc.

For other races, you can include similar titles or ranks to try and get around ones that are already taken. One of my engies has "Researcher" in front of his name for that very reason lol.

Me! my names must be thematic and some what unique..  Nothing too meme like.

Rangeologist Kiarra or Wraithologist Zheen For my Asura names etc Human are Ember Agarian etc, Norn i generally fit Animals into and Sylvari plants like Orchid etc.. I don't normally play Charr.

Edited by Dante.1508

I wanted to name my Sylvari after unique Tasmanian plants and all of them were taken. Every single Tasmanian plant I tried, whatever version of the name, all taken. So on one hand yay other people in Tassie love Sylvari as much as I do but BOO YOU TOOK ALL THE NAMES 😞

On the other hand coming up with names that sound like Skritt invented them is quite fun and my new naming obsession.

On 7/23/2023 at 2:05 AM, circuitnerd.5863 said:

I take forever also.  I can't decide whether I want to give all my characters unique names, or give them a common name.