Make Gift of Battle avaliable in PvE

23 hours ago, Drizzly.4562 said:

Do you have an argument of why you *should* have to spend time engaging in an entirely different game mode you don't like other than "you currently do, and that's that"?

What do you say to strictly pvp players about acquiring a GoE?

Saying that WvW is that far removed from pve, in your words an "entirely different game mode" is deliberate misrepresentation. I'm not a fan of WvW, and while it may seem like it's a waste of time, you can go there an earn exp toward a reward track only engaging in pve combat. I know, pretty big stuff to wrap your head around, but it's true.

So, it has nothing to do with "this is the way the game is and thats that" because in the end, players who ultimately refuse to engage in WvW are simply just being fussy. The idea that your expectations should be fulfilled in an "easier way" because you refuse to do a thing that results in you fulfilling your expectations on your own just because you perceive the current way as being more difficult is entitlement, not a point made or a side in an argument.

I sometimes feel like players who claim to dislike WvW simply haven't played WvW. And while I can agree with WvW being a kind of rag-tag game mode, the only reason players who claim to dislike WvW would go there is for a GoB. And if you only go there to earn a GoB, your biggest waste of time is making up arguments for why you dislike WvW and that you should be able to earn a GoB in pve - you probably could have had a couple GoB by now. 

It's not like ANet is deliberately gating the GoB behind WvW to spite you. Contrary to what you believe, there are many players who engage in all aspects of GW2. And just because a small group of players refuse to engage in WvW for a GoB doesn't mean the GoB is in the wrong place.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheNecrosanct.4028 said:

All legendaries should be accountbound on acquire. 
Shards of Glory are supposed to be tradeable, just like Memories of Battle. They always were. But legendary gifts, that's another matter. In fact, if ANet really wants people to engage in all 3 game modes they should introduce a legendary gift obtainable through PvP.

Appeals to authority/tradition, but only when it does what he likes.

• Haha 6
  • Confused 3

23 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

I have been playing this game from the very beginning, and engaging with forums for as long, and i have yet to see a satisfactory answer to that question. In fact, most people do not even try to find a reason, they just either appeal to status quo ("because it is set up that way") or authority ("because Anet decided on it, so must be so"). Or not even bother with that and use deflection of some kind to avoid answering.

I agree that I haven't seen a compelling argument for why things should remain as they are, but to me, that's missing the point.

Rather than needing to defend the status quo, I think those wishing to change the way GoB is acquired need to say something other than "I don't like WvW." I have yet to see anything that isn't some form of that complaint. And no, I don't consider that argument compelling in the least.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7
  • Sad 3

8 hours ago, Azakael.3019 said:

Except I've seen people mention in this thread that there should be an option for giving WvW players the option to trade GoB for GoE. Alternatively, add in repeatable reward tracks for Ascalon, Kryta, Shiverpeaks, Orr, and Maguuma Jungle. Each one has material rewards related to their region, and at the end of each one they have a "Gift of [Region]" that can be traded in with the other four Gifts for a Gift of Exploration. Heck with boosts, it'll probably be faster than most people can do a full Central Tyria exploration.

And there are those that don't. I am one of those saying that if they opened it up in pve then they'd have to reciprocate with the pve gifts being available in wvw. To not do that is disingenuous. As it stands it is a wvw item, it is not difficult nor time consuming to get compared to the other gifts, and these kinds of threads are unwarranted in the end.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 3

12 hours ago, Solvar.7953 said:

So I guess on the one side, it isn't hard to get GoB (I have 26 now), but does it add anything to the game to make players waste their time to get something that really takes minimal, but uninteresting effort?

I also wonder how many folks who are strongly in favor of GoB remaining WvW exclusive are also players who actually like to play WvW, so have a bit of a biased perspective.

If they get what they came for it's the opposite of a waste of time.

I am in favor of GoB acquisition remaining as it is. I'd also be the first to stop going to WvW if there was another way of obtaining it, because GoB's are the only reason I do WvW. I'm a PvE player through and through. I don't hate WvW and I fully participate when I go there because I'm not a leecher, but nothing draws me there, except this one reward. So, while I'm not a fan I also don't see it as an insurmountable problem. By way of comparison, let's take Final Fantasy X and its ultimate weapons. I hate blitzball, much more than WvW, but you have to play a lot of it to get Wakka's ultimate weapon. And the others are hardly easy to get either, involving some frustrating mini games ((like the chocobo race you have to finish with 0 seconds on the timer). But I want those ultimate weapons for everyone, so I do what I need to to get them. It really is just a matter of how much you want the final reward. The people who forgo legendaries because they don't like WvW, to me are people who don't want legendaries as much as they think they do.

I also agree with what voltaicbore.8012 said. Instead of demanding a good reason for GoB acquisition to stay the way it is, give a reason for why it shouldn't stay this way besides "I don't like WvW, I feel forced", because that is not a good enough reason. It's a selfish reason based purely on personal dislike. If that is a good enough reason for them, than status quo/tradition is a good enough reason to be against it. At least the latter isn't based on personal likes/dislikes. And asking for it "in the name of everyone who hates it" doesn't make it any less selfish. That's just an easy cop out, or a way to use other's discontent for your own purpose. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, soul.9651 said:

I would uninstall if i had to suffer ow exploration every time for GoB instead of getting it in a day while farming loot bags

I wasn't saying to remove it from WvW. I would rather get two GoE than one of each, but for those who prefer suffering through map completion then they have that option. And, to make it fair to WvWers, they can add a Map Explorer reward track that gives a GoE. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

I play the game to have fun. Any content that doesn;t fulfill that is, in the end, a detriment to that primary goal, and thus a waste of time.

We all do and no one is forced to do anything that he doesn’t think is fun.

btw, you still haven’t answered my question what server you are on where all the WvW guilds quit when the warclaw came out 🙂 

Edited by yoni.7015
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, TheNecrosanct.4028 said:

I also agree with what voltaicbore.8012 said. Instead of demanding a good reason for GoB acquisition to stay the way it is, give a reason for why it shouldn't stay this way besides "I don't like WvW, I feel forced", because that is not a good enough reason. It's a selfish reason based purely on personal dislike. If that is a good enough reason for them, than status quo/tradition is a good enough reason to be against it. At least the latter isn't based on personal likes/dislikes. And asking for it "in the name of everyone who hates it" doesn't make it any less selfish. That's just an easy cop out, or a way to use other's discontent for your own purpose. 

Okay, so here's mine.
I don't enjoy WvW. I *do* however enjoy Raiding and Strikes. I have spent hours gearing my characters, learning the fights, and raiding with my static (Which, aside from some frustrating 1% wipes I enjoyed the entire time.) I have already earned and spent the 900 Legendary Insights to get my full Leggy Armor and Coalescence. Now all LI does is go into my wallet and sit there (at least it doesn't take up space anymore?) Nothing that players can use it for can be traded or sold. They cannot be used it to make a second set of Legendary Armor since the Legendary Armory precludes that (Not. Complaining about that, mind you. Fantastic QoL improvement.) They cannot be used to make a second Legendary Ring (which means you still have to WvW if you want to get a full set of Legendary Trinkets.) There are no further uses for it. However, if they let players trade LI for a Gift of Battle, I think that would make a lot of raiders (and, I will not lie - me) happy. It's effort to get - not an, "Oh, this is easy mode versus WvW." It takes longer to get than leeching with boosts would in WvW, but it might bring players to try out raiding and find out they enjoy it. Players who might not have otherwise tried the mode.

Edited by Azakael.3019
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I'm not sure if I'm seen anyone who is advocating for making GoB available in PvE having any issue with GoE being available in WvW.  Figuring out fair costs for either is what is hard.

Which is why I'm always advocating for making pretty much everything tradeable on the TP.  IMO, the TP is one of the best features in GW2, but the amount of account bound stuff undermines it.  Making such gifts tradeable on the TP doesn't add a new source for them - all of them there would still have been earned (vs making them buyable via AA does add a new source).  And if the perceived difficulty of getting of GoE is 10 times that of GoB (not saying it is, but using this as an example), one would expect the price of the GoE to be 10x that of the GoB.

Not sure what having mystic clovers on the TP has to do with this - I'd actually be fine with those being on the TP also.  Anet recently added a bunch of additional ways to get them without the randomness of the mystic forge.  But most of the components (mystic coin, ectoplasm) are already available on the TP.  Obsidian shards are available through various means, though I suppose some players may be short of those and spirit shards.  I don't really see how mystic clovers being tradeable would break anything - I suppose it might let people who have large stashes of obsidian & spirit shards use that to convert to mystic clovers and make some money, but I suspect the actual TP cost of mystic clovers be slightly higher than the cost of the ectoplasm and mystic coins, but not hugely higher.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, TheNecrosanct.4028 said:

I don't agree with buying/selling completed weapons either, not did I ever say I was. All legendaries should be accountbound on acquire. Period. ANet had the right idea with gen 2 legendaries.

Shards of Glory are supposed to be tradeable, just like Memories of Battle. They always were. But legendary gifts, that's another matter. In fact, if ANet really wants people to engage in all 3 game modes they should introduce a legendary gift obtainable through PvP.

The fact that you're fine with all components being tradeable on the TP is outrageously funny.

It seems to go around...

This guy gets it

I know they never would at this point, but I absolutely wish they would make all legendaries account bound. Earn it or bust. And incorporate account bound PvP components

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 12
  • Sad 1

On 9/20/2023 at 7:25 PM, Luthan.5236 said:

But people like you told me to play WvW - why so angry?

I wouldn't be angry, why would I? Because you don't run a meta build with a meta squad?
You cap camps.
Better than those who just run against walls in the keep.
And you'll probably be done after 2 days anyway.

So please, do your thing and thank you for taking care of the camps.

Edited by Lucy.3728
  • Like 5
  • Confused 1

On 9/19/2023 at 1:54 AM, Luthan.5236 said:

The best solution would be to add a PvE-only legendary weapon set that does not require GoB at all. With this they could keep everyone happy.

Wait, but that already exists and doesn't even require any particular game mode.  They're all on the trading post and many gen 1s have dropped below 2k gold. All the ones involving on the craft kits are 1300 gold~

I've really never understood the problem with weapons. You can grind gold in any game mode and thus avoid all the stuff you don't like. The account bound parts (Gift of Battle/Map exploration) is worth maybe 600 gold compared to the mats you'd have to use anyways.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

Wait, but that already exists and doesn't even require any particular game mode.  They're all on the trading post and many gen 1s have dropped below 2k gold. All the ones involving on the craft kits are 1300 gold~

I've really never understood the problem with weapons. You can grind gold in any game mode and thus avoid all the stuff you don't like.

But they want to craft one and not do the things required to craft one! /halfjoking

I don't get it either. 😐 It'll take them less time to get the GoB than to grind the gold (sans swiping the almighty Visa) for a legendary, but that's a "grindy" method they can use to get around the GoB issue. So far as I can tell (I'm not in the position to look at the current reqs), the new OW legendary armor won't require WvW. It uses the provisioners tokens gift, doesn't it?

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, QueenKeriti.5176 said:

But they want to craft one and not do the things required to craft one! /halfjoking

I don't get it either. 😐 It'll take them less time to get the GoB than to grind the gold (sans swiping the almighty Visa) for a legendary, but that's a "grindy" method they can use to get around the GoB issue. So far as I can tell (I'm not in the position to look at the current reqs), the new OW legendary armor won't require WvW. It uses the provisioners tokens gift, doesn't it?

Well I suppose the reward track could take much longer if one doesn't know what they're doing. But that's really not the game's fault either. I do think the reward tracks are tedious but this will not help anyone that actually doesn't want to do WvW.

It's more that I think it's too much to worry about a 0% increase over ascended weapons, with the only advantages being the skin (I sometimes even skin over the weapons), stat changes, and free sigil swaps (you could make legendary sigils which aren't weapon specific anyways) There's also infusion swapping, but since there's only 2 types of infusions, one being WvW ones.... not really useful if you don't WvW.

The new Obsidian Armor will not require WvW.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Obsidian_armor

"This will be the first set that doesn't require heavy investment into raids or competitive experiences—instead, the various crafting components come from open-world gameplay in the expansion."

Although the "heavy investment" part sounds a bit sus.

And you should definitely stock up on provisioner tokens. Funny enough, WvW is a pretty good source of them, or at least less annoying to me than parking random alts at vendors.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480

my personal view:

yes , please! i would vote for alternative pve only methods to get the item , or an alternative item for the weapon recipes. 

for me personally its a pain to get this reward track , and i dont have time to stand arround and flip camps like stupid just to get "the time invest - even with boosters" needed for the reward track.

i dont enjoy the game mode blob vs blob.  i always land in a large queue (when i have time to play) and when i get in there is no squad or its hidden behind someones discord.

i also like the idea from a post before to buy it from LI , since there is just nothing you can do with it when you have all 3 envoy sets

wizards vault also sounds good

any change to include pve without wvw would be a good one

• Like 3
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, QueenKeriti.5176 said:

Like fully half the comments in this thread have said they want to be able to buy/sell GoBs/GoEs, meaning they want to engage with the content they enjoy and make meaningful progress towards it without having to do content they don't enjoy.

I would absolutely, positively flood the market with GoBs and buy GoEs if I could, and the o-forums are the only place with people that think that is a crazy idea.

As you and the person you quoted pointed out: you can already sell the full weapons.  What, exactly, is wrong with wanting to sell the components?

7 hours ago, QueenKeriti.5176 said:

😐 It'll take them less time to get the GoB than to grind the gold

Enjoyment of the process is important.  I no longer find map completion fun.  I can do it reliably in around 10 hours.  I'd absolutely farm for a week or two to avoid doing it ever again.

Some people don't like flipping camps.  same concept.  This is not mysterious.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

11 minutes ago, Drizzly.4562 said:

Like fully half the comments in this thread have said they want to be able to buy/sell GoBs/GoEs, meaning they want to engage with the content they enjoy and make meaningful progress towards it without having to do content they don't enjoy.

I would absolutely, positively flood the market with GoBs and buy GoEs if I could, and the o-forums are the only place with people that think that is a crazy idea.

As you and the person you quoted pointed out: you can already sell the full weapons.  What, exactly, is wrong with wanting to sell the components?

Enjoyment of the process is important.  I no longer find map completion fun.  I can do it reliably in around 10 hours.  I'd absolutely farm for a week or two to avoid doing it ever again.

Some people don't like flipping camps.  same concept.  This is not mysterious.

I'm almost done with GoB in ~5 hours, running around with groups/friends. Flipping camps really is a personal choice and is the least desirable way I'd do WvW, but I can't control how people play.

I'm not particularly fond of GoE, especially the heart in one of the Charr zones that doesn't spawn enough things for the heart, especially if other people are there, but I can see why Anet did it. And why they made the GoB the way they did. And why legendary weapons use it (especially if the history of legendaries is considered).

Honestly, I really don't give a kitten on if Anet makes them sellable or not. I just find it interesting, but, I mean, some people want Anet to make legendary armor sellable to skip the entire process of making something themselves, so who knows.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

9 minutes ago, QueenKeriti.5176 said:

I'm almost done with GoB in ~5 hours,

Again, the time is irrelevant.  You're not going to make someone who doesn't like the content see anything but a timegate, and every time someone mentions that the time gate is short, all someone who doesn't want to do the timegate is going to hear is it's arbitrary.

Let me sell those people GoBs. I finally get rewards for my preferred game mode, they stop making posts that give oforum regulars aneurysms.  Win win, literally no downsides.

Edited by Drizzly.4562
"still" to "sell"
  • Like 6
  • Confused 4

4 minutes ago, Drizzly.4562 said:

Again, the time is irrelevant.  You're not going to make someone who doesn't like the content see anything but a timegate, and every time someone mentions that the time gate is short, all someone who doesn't want to do the timegate is going to hear is it's arbitrary.

Let me sell those people GoBs. I finally get rewards for my preferred game mode, they stop making posts that give oforum regulars aneurysms.  Win win, literally no downsides.

Anet needs to let people sell the skirmish tickets, so I can skip the timegate and get my WvW armor now. \o/ Win-win for me

The thing is, people will find new things to post about to give the forum regulars aneurysms. 😞 That's just the nature of people. Anet could give a PvE way to get GoBs (that would likely be difficult/painful), and people would complain about it the way they are the we-still-don't-have-enough-info OW legendary armor. 🫠

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

How about they add a Mystic Forge recipe for Gift of Battle that involves 250 Badges of Tribute? That way WvW players would make bank on Badges of Honor getting inflated in value and PvE players don't need to touch WvW if they got that PvE gold. It would take less time to just play the game to get Gifts of Battle in WvW, but I think it's fair to trade off semi-AFKing PvE players going for instant reward track potions via pips for PvE players giving us WvW players gold.

• Like 2
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1