Would you like a new Race?

New playable Race...  

115 members have voted

1. 1. New playable Race and starting area?

• No. I think at this point it's too much.
    • Yes. I think it would be exciting.
    • Impartial... not sure.
    • Wait. Let me think...

I'd like it, but I don't expect it to happen.

I like making new characters, not just as another set of build slots, inventory space etc. but actually to come up with a new character and play through the story from a different perspective. I don't do role-playing a group very often but I do give all my characters a backstory and personality and that influences their choices, even for builds. (I ended up making a second engineer because I wanted to play a holosmith but it was totally wrong for my existing engineer.) So for me a new race would add a lot, especially if it came with a new personal story and starter zone.

But I don't expect it to happen because it would be a lot of work for Anet (and add some additional work to all future releases, another 2 voice actors per language at least) and I suspect overall the benefit is relatively minimal.

• Like 5

Rather than new playable race, I'd rather Arenanet spend time adding story sections for each races. I see a lot of potential interesting storyline involving the different races, or even the old WoW style reputation to delve in each races.

As much as I want more contents here, quite clear to see there is a resource limitation on the Arenanet side. I'd rather focus exploring the culture and background of the races instead of making one playable.

Some ideas:

1. Tengus, the obvious culprit. Dominion of Winds as new explorable zone.

2. Kodans, Quaggans, Largos home.

3. Sylvaris borne not from the Pale Tree.

4. Olmakhan Charrs

5. Inquest Asurans

---

The best workaround for playable is race to make a fully functioning tonic for everything. Combat tonic, for example, is not compatible with mount. Can Arenanet develop a full gameplay tonic to roleplay as different races in every facet, such as mount, fishing, etc?

Edited by phandaria.4891
  • Confused 1

The only way I see it happening is if new races can start with a different, much shorter, personal story so they don't have to record all the past Commander story.

They they would either not be able to replay old story, or they could select an NPC version of the commander (like Duncan and Anja) at the point of the story at which they are introduced to them and join their adventures, and visit the scrying pool in the eye of the north to see their story as visions of the past, thus using pre-existing voice lines.

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, Kozumi.5816 said:

The amount of races is already far too high and causes Anet issues when making cosmetics.

NEVER add new races to a MMO. It's always a bad idea.

well if they add AI to the mix, it might be easier to alter old clothing styles to fix to new character designs. but we all know their nuked code might not be able to handle it.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, phandaria.4891 said:

Rather than new playable race, I'd rather Arenanet spend time adding story sections for each races. I see a lot of potential interesting storyline involving the different races, or even the old WoW style reputation to delve in each races.

As much as I want more contents here, quite clear to see there is a resource limitation on the Arenanet side. I'd rather focus exploring the culture and background of the races instead of making one playable.

Some ideas:

1. Tengus, the obvious culprit. Dominion of Winds as new explorable zone.

2. Kodans, Quaggans, Largos home.

3. Sylvaris borne not from the Pale Tree.

4. Olmakhan Charrs

5. Inquest Asurans

---

The best workaround for playable is race to make a fully functioning tonic for everything. Combat tonic, for example, is not compatible with mount. Can Arenanet develop a full gameplay tonic to roleplay as different races in every facet, such as mount, fishing, etc?

no. don't waste time with boring story. short story chapters work fine. I'd prefer they get into the meat and potatoes of their game.

As far as wow stlye rep grind. I wonder why they never did that with their 3 reps they have(warriors, book people and sneaky stealth stuff- yea i forget their names) 😄. I always wanted to see some kind of blackmarket TradingPost free of taxes based on Rep grind. but the gods likes their tp taxes so that prob a big no.

As far as cultural background I want to see more of the map. I mean is there not lore that goes into these areas already? they seem to be making up new stuff rather then going to old areas of the map we've never been to before as a gw2 player. I was always disappointed with Hot. Vanilla had all these maps and we got so few with HoT and every xpac there after keeps getting less and less. I 'm pretty sure the game will die before we reach every where on this continent. They've already invented new islands that weren't on the world map before, so i mean they could always invent a whole other continent if they explored everywhere on this one first!

If they did Kodans, i'd at least hope they revamp what they look like a little more.

A big NO to stingray winged Largos humans. We don't need more human races. We all ready have big humans = Norn.

Quaggons would be fun. so many things brainstorming here. Think of a massive underwater city deep in the ocean somewhere - which would be why no one has seen them before as a playable race. and another reason why the gods would say no to this. underwater- doh. But armors would be easy. they'd be almost non existant. 😄

Edited by Kelly.7019
  • Confused 1

I'd like a new race.

I'd also like my house paid off, a trust fund that provides a comfortable yearly income, and free tuition to the university of my choice so I can retrain into a new career.

Out of those four things, the 2nd is the only one likely to happen, and it'll be another 10 years or so before it does.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Haha 2

i highly doubt alliances will actually happen, their betas are what MONTHS apart... how the heck can you tell the player base about alliances years ago and they still aren't out? it's like they work on it every so often , get frustrated stuff isn't working. shelve it, then come back to it weeks later when they've cooled off and try again and get pissed off again and shelve it again. that seems to be the cycle. Remember when players heard about alliances they thought it was weeks to a few months away. Alliances is a joke. (a new netflix special!)

Edited by Kelly.7019

On 9/21/2023 at 1:05 PM, Kelly.7019 said:

we all know their nuked code might not be able to handle it

This is the answer right here. New race would mean new personal story. Problem is, they tinkered with the personal story several years back, broke the game as a result and had to undo the change.

Character creation is core-game code, so I'd bet there's roughly a 0/1,000,000 chance that they'd be willing to risk it.