Is the skyscale worth it?

I checked the required grind to get it. And it's absolutely insane. The end reward doesn't seem like much.

In terms of horizontal mobility, it's laughable. I overtake skyscales with my beetle or gryphon all the time during metas. I can even overtake them with the jackal if I use the vigor buff.

Vertical mobility is better. Obviously superior to the springer. Might be useful if you are going for map completion and can't be bothered to find the bouncing mushroom or the place where to jump with the springer. Currently I got no plans on doing map completion. I did it with 1 character and that was enough for me.

• Like 3
  • Confused 11
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Godfather.9058 said:

I checked the required grind to get it. And it's absolutely insane. The end reward doesn't seem like much.

In terms of horizontal mobility, it's laughable. I overtake skyscales with my beetle or gryphon all the time during metas. I can even overtake them with the jackal if I use the vigor buff.

Vertical mobility is better. Obviously superior to the springer. Might be useful if you are going for map completion and can't be bothered to find the bouncing mushroom or the place where to jump with the springer. Currently I got no plans on doing map completion. I did it with 1 character and that was enough for me.

Like everything in this game it depends on (A) what you value as worth your time and effort and (B) what you want to do in this game.

If you are playing only raids and that kind of instanced content then you don't really need a Skyscale (if  game mechanic isn't expecting it), but if you are doing Inner Nayos map or Convergence then you might want a Skyscale to get around and to shot down in air turrets (Dash to remove their shield and hit them with the new Fireball skill which you can only get from having a Skyscale).

You also seem to miss out that it is possible to combo Griffon and Skyscale (+Gliding) to get around on maps much faster. With Bond of Faith and some other Mastery unlocks you can now change between mounts while being in air (reset HP on mount).

Bouncing Mushrooms are great when you are set in Combat and can not summon a mount, the same with Oakheart's Reach which let you target a surface and use it to swing yourself up to another place or get to places that you  wouldn't be able to get while only be using Gliding.

There are layers that you simply wont understand until you unlock those Mastery and skills/abilities and start to use them.

Ignore Skyscale if you don't find it useful or worth your time, but don't get surprised that other players might find Skyscale still useful even with Griffon.

It is the same as Jade Bot have its own use and players make use of it to get higher up without having the need that Bouncing Mushrooms exist on that map they are playing on. Some players find it a waste of time to get and use Jade Bot, other find Jade Bot have its use for the game play they enjoy.

EDIT:

FYI I have unlocked all mounts on two accounts including skills like Stealth 2.0, so yes it might take some time, but it isn't "insane" amount of effort to farm what you need to unlock. What I get from having all mounts and their special skills unlocked is flexibility to get around on maps, to faster reach some Jumping Puzzles that would take much more time to complete etc.

Edited by ShadowCatz.8437
  • Like 3

Up until SotO it was a matter of preference, with the Skyscale being more the jack-of-all convenience mount.

With SotO the following things are tipping the scale:

- second way of acquisition (which while not free is faster than the original one)

- maps designed with the Skyscale in mind

- specific events which require the Skyscale Fireball

- Wall climbing and updraft use make the Skyscale the superior vertical movement mount versus bunny in many situations

- Combat launch is unique in that it allows disengage from combat via mounting

The Skyscale is still no "must have", but the scales are tipped.

• Like 7

I'd say just go get it. Skyscale and griffon combo just completely changes travel. Don't ask any more questions. Just get it. Seriously.

EDIT: Think of the skyscale as an escalator, and the griffon as a roller coaster.

If you have just the skyscale, you're just slowly getting to places on an escalator. You can go where you need to go, but it's slow and not very exciting.

If you have just the griffon, you basically have to manually climb a cliff before you get to the roller coaster. You're an amazing climber and can climb faster than an escalator, but you will want to kick a bunny every time you slide back down.

Add the two together, then you'll realize how much you needed this. Seriously, just go get it! Don't think, just do it! Did you get it yet? Go get it!

Edited by BlueJin.4127
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Tiamat.8254 said:

Totally worth it. Makes so many things in the game much more accessible. Always you a lot more freedom for exploration. The sad thing is that you then rarely use these springer mount.

Springer is still better to get up in places or scale different elevation and also to provide a CC for meta bosses with Defiance bars or Rift hunting.

It is more likely you haven't set up an easy to use key bind for Springer and therefore tend to use the other mounts instead.

Don't forget that in Desert Highland you have auto pickup of Carrots while mounted on Springer - pretty fast Heart completion if you need a Heart for Daily Wizard's Vault: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Help_out_around_Highjump_Ranch

4 minutes ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

Up until SotO it was a matter of preference, with the Skyscale being more the jack-of-all convenience mount.

With SotO the following things are tipping the scale:

- second way of acquisition (which while not free is faster than the original one)

- maps designed with the Skyscale in mind

- specific events which require the Skyscale Fireball

- Wall climbing and updraft use make the Skyscale the superior vertical movement mount versus bunny in many situations

- Combat launch is unique in that it allows disengage from combat via mounting

The Skyscale is still no "must have", but the scales are tipped.

Add to that list Volatile Magic (VM) Orbs (and all other types of Orbs that works as paths in air) that exist in maps that are easy to farm.

All in air Orbs, Updraft and Ley-Lines works for both Griffon and Skyscale where one can reset Flight meter, so with some skill to control each mount you can now stay in air much longer.

With Combat Launch you also can get automatically Launched in air and mounted on Skyscale from some ground area (marked with a large AoE and indicator for Launching onto Skyscale - even when your own Combat Launch skill might be on cool down [60 seconds]) in SoTO maps and I would expect that this will also be part of future maps where you will just have to walk to those ground based nodes where you will get Launched up into air and mounted onto Skyscale.

1 hour ago, Leger.3724 said:

Some people like manual transmission cars. Others prefer automatic. Skyscale is the automatic. You're not getting the same level of performance but you're not putting in anywhere near the same effort.

You know, that is the best analogy Ive seen in a very long time. Thank you.

• Confused 2

Mounts I rarely use since I have skyscale: griffon and jackal
SotO is an exception for the griffon, used it plenty there while I played it (dont play it atm anymore, waiting for the story to complete before I pick it up again)

Mounts I use daily: raptor and skyscale

The SotO skyscale is easier to achieve, I'd recommend it.
The classic way was hell for me.

Edited by Lucy.3728
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Godfather.9058 said:

You do realize you can use the skyscale in combination with other skills like bond of vigor, bond of faith, and the jade bot lift, right?  For example, you can angle upward and use bond of vigor to gain quite a lot of altitude.  Enough to use the griffon dive and zoom even from flat ground.  You can also out-distance the raptor or jackal over shorter distances this way by chaining bond of vigor and then bond of faith using the altitude and momentum to launch yourself forward, not even taking into account the impact of rough terrain that give the ground mounts trouble.

It's not great for traveling long distances, but for that you should be using the beetle or griffon anyway.  And the skyscale makes using the griffon a whole lot easier.  Is it worth it?  Yeah, it's worth it.  It's the most useful mount by far.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Leger.3724 said:

Some people like manual transmission cars. Others prefer automatic. Skyscale is the automatic. You're not getting the same level of performance but you're not putting in anywhere near the same effort.

I've used the comparison that Skyscale = work truck, Griffon = sports car. Basic git-r-done utility vs. wheeeeeee, speed! Same basic idea. 😆

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I think it's worth it just for the ability to hover.

About a month ago I finished getting access to the PoF Skyscale, not SoTO.  My roommate and I just chipped away at it a little at a time over the course of a few months.  Was the best way we could figure not to get burned out obtaining it; the time spent in Dragonfall being the most tedious for us. 

~EpWa

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, EphemeralWallaby.7643 said:

I think it's worth it just for the ability to hover.

About a month ago I finished getting access to the PoF Skyscale, not SoTO.  My roommate and I just chipped away at it a little at a time over the course of a few months.  Was the best way we could figure not to get burned out obtaining it; the time spent in Dragonfall being the most tedious for us. 

~EpWa

I was just going to say the same thing, being able to hover for those times when you are called away from the computer is really valuable for me.  I love my skyscale.

I did the original skyscale PoF quests on my main account and also just chipped away at it a little at a time to avoid burnout.  On my alt account I did the SoTO version, and looked up what it took on the wiki.  I bought the provisioner tokens every day when I could to have when I was ready for them.  I got  enough of the other currency just by playing the game.  The thing that felt the most frustrating to me was  finding the freaking egg to start the whole thing off.

Edited by Kaliwenda.3428
  • Like 2

For you, I suspect it'd only be worth it (maybe) if you get it using the SotO unlock. But if you don't have SotO and aren't interested in the LWS4 unlock method, just stick with your beetle and griffon. You seem content with them anyway, and having fun with the game in your own way is much more important than unlocking a thing just because everyone else has it.

For me, it was a matter of unlocking everything -- I'm one of those completionist types, to a degree -- and I like certain grindy gameplay. Plus, I do use it when I have a lot of lumpy terrain in front of me that might be less fun to traverse with my preferred jackal, and I don't have the verticality to really get going with the griffon.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Godfather.9058 said:

It's a mount that does everything but not as well as the other mounts.  Using other mounts in situations where they are advantageous will still be optimal by a wide margin.

• Like 2

Extremely worth it. The verticality means it’s the most convenient for travelling over cliffs, ridges, hills. Even acquiring via the ls4 route, the acquisition method is tiny vs what you will gain from it. What it lacks in straight line speed it more than makes up for in traversing over any obstacle. Where are a raptor goes around, the skyscale can just go straight over.

Its only disadvantage is that’s it’s so convenient it means the world can feel small and it’s easier to fall into the trap of rushing around. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, Godfather.9058 said:

That is false, its not insane at all, actually its rather easy. just a timegate . If you have been doing the zones as  you go then you have most everything you need. It not insane , it dont require you to  kill raid bosses, become and area top player, kill HTCM , I would say its not a lot considering what you get in return. And they have lessened the grind even more. You will be surprised how fast everything starts flowing once  you follow the guides and get going, instead of sitting and brooding over it. I have done the skyscale on 3 accounts, 2 of those accounts back when it came out before anet lessened the impact. As for is it worth it? for me it is,  ymmv but its the mount i use the most. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

For all such long achievement chains I would recommend you just start it and go for it. Just chip away at it slowly. Soon you'll found out it's not that bad at all and it can be quite fun if you're not in a hurry. 

Just don't look at all the requirements and contemplate how long it will take. You'll never even start it that way. 

• Like 1

On 12/31/2023 at 11:44 AM, enigmatic.3576 said:

It's a mount that does everything but not as well as the other mounts.  Using other mounts in situations where they are advantageous will still be optimal by a wide margin.

Yes, but the skyscale also has its own areas where it outperforms other mounts. By also incorporating the skyscale, it makes travel even more optimal by a wider margin.

EDIT: And not just travel, but the ability to fly above enemy aggro is just too convenient.

Edited by BlueJin.4127
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, BlueJin.4127 said:

Yes, but the skyscale also has its own areas where it outperforms other mounts. By also incorporating the skyscale, it makes travel even more optimal by a wider margin.

Only in situations where there's no ledge for the springer to use or you need to go both vertically and horizontally at the same time which results in a time savings.  Those situations are not as common for incorporating it to be more optimal by a wider margin compared to not incorporating it.  Yes it still provides a benefit when someone does happen to run into those situations but it by no means more optimal by a wider margin.

Just for clarification, I read it as you saying that the benefit that skyscale provides is greater than the benefit all of the others provide.  If that was not the case then disregard the above.

Edited by enigmatic.3576
  • Confused 1