[Suggestions]QoL (Quality of Life) Ideas [Merged]

ginryu.3026

There already are a variety of both passive and active speed boosts available from low levels via skills, traits, runes etc. so if they just want a way to go faster than the default running speed the option is already there.

If they're concerned about not having a mount specifically because they're coming from games where that was a big progression/reward system or some kind of prestige thing I think it would be better for someone to explain that GW2 doesn't work that way, they don't need a mount for anything before PoF and give them a bit of an introduction to how this game and it's reward systems actually work.

If they understand that and just want it for the novelty...that's when it might be worth using a boosted character to unlock one.

• Like 3

They can rent them at festivals and try them.  Mounts are one of the big selling points to PoF and gives many a reason to buy it besides just more areas.  If leveling to 80 and having to waypoint and walk it is that discouraging, they may be in for a bit of a shock for other areas of the game that require some effort.  I agree it's a bore to walk everywhere, but since it's part of the storyline I'm not really interested in seeing mounts implemented for fresh players.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Danikat.8537 said:

There already are a variety of both passive and active speed boosts available from low levels via skills, traits, runes etc. so if they just want a way to go faster than the default running speed the option is already there.

If they're concerned about not having a mount specifically because they're coming from games where that was a big progression/reward system or some kind of prestige thing I think it would be better for someone to explain that GW2 doesn't work that way, they don't need a mount for anything before PoF and give them a bit of an introduction to how this game and it's reward systems actually work.

If they understand that and just want it for the novelty...that's when it might be worth using a boosted character to unlock one.

I'm mainly talking on the points of novelty. Speed boosts and such were just an idea of what a simple mount "could" do if able to get one. I just think an early mount is a boost in morale for a new player to keep wanting to continue. I've met a lot of people along the way since mounts, and that is their biggest complaint I've noticed is all. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

You know, the thing with these questions i have is ... we all played gw2 whitout mounts. And in the beginning, you really don't need them. And when you want them, you can get the raptor easily by playing the first pof-story-part. Or let a friend do it for you and disable the sounds when you don't want spoilers.

I have nothing against the wish of comfort, it's understandable when you see all this people with there mounts. But this is a game, and you have to do stuff to get comofortable in games. And you can't expect from a game, to do the same as other games do. The one game gives you a mount at the start, the other game not, so simple. And when you get encouraged because you have no mount, gw2 is not to blame for this.

And again, i get it. I hated how many times I was late on Season of dragon bounty achievements because I didn't have the Skyscale and people just rushed through and burstet through.
But then I just played and tried to make the best of everything. And then I caught up on bounties after i got my skyscale.
And think about it. Another mount, or a toned down mount for starters would need recources, would net time for a mount that people use the least amount of time.

Instead of wanting a mount, you should show them what speed-buffs every class has. Also you get free speed-boosters while leveling. Teaching /learning the class you play on the way, is the most helpfull thing you can do.

Edited by Fuchslein.8639
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

"does next to nothing"
"just for fun"
"novelty"
This game has plenty of novelty items available before 80 is this is your real concern.

15 minutes ago, HellsPriest.6745 said:

I've met a lot of people along the way since mounts, and that is their biggest complaint I've noticed is all. 

The biggest complaint from new players is that they don't have a novelty mount that does next to nothing, just for fun?

:doubt:

• Like 3

1 minute ago, mindcircus.1506 said:

"does next to nothing"
"just for fun"
"novelty"
This game has plenty of novelty items available before 80 is this is your real concern.

The biggest complaint from new players is that they don't have a novelty mount that does next to nothing, just for fun?

:doubt:

Considering a lot of this game is based upon skins and looks and people like the idea of that, you can doubt it all you want. Opinions are fine, negativity is unnecessary.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, HellsPriest.6745 said:

Considering a lot of this game is based upon skins and looks and people like the idea of that, you can doubt it all you want. Opinions are fine, negativity is unnecessary.

Ok then

My opinion is that trying to position your personal desire (for something you admit yourself has little value) as something with wide appeal is transparent.

• Like 2

I can personally attest that when I (briefly) came back recently and did some leveling, having people in lower level zones who could do cool stuff with mounts when I couldn't made the maps seem bigger and all the running everywhere seem more tedious. I didn't even know you have to wait until that far in to get a mount, the game didn't hold my attention long enough for me to get PoF; glad I didn't purchase it then.

Especially as the game gets smaller in population, it can create a feeling of being left behind by the few other people around. That plus the contrast of knowing that in theory, you could be going significantly faster, it makes the age of the old zones show even more. This is in many ways designed as an organically cooperative game, which is a big appeal of it, but as far as I can tell, the mounts system and the glider system both are individualist design and the two styles don't mix well. You can see similar cracks in the system in the way waypoints have worked for as long as I've known, that if your character is new to a zone and you want to help with an event near an undiscovered waypoint, there is no organic way for you to hop in to help. You are stuck either ignoring it (breaks the sense of camaraderie) or desperately trying to run there in time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Im not sure if these appeals for mounts are on behalf of new players or from those people "event farming with the least effort", since I see an awful lot of players on mounts just running through event circles without stopping in core tyria maps or just waiting on the mount for you to finish off the event with them not assisting before they woosh off to the next event circle. These aren't normal low level players.

Giving any players mounts in core tyria would also reduce sales of Paths of Fire, meaning less money for Anet.

Perhaps if they want some novelty, give them two coconut halves as per Monty Python to clip clop together....

Edited by Andy.5981
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think having a "bad" mount will be more discouraging  than having none. Also I think development time would be wasted on something that 1) won't be needed by many players since leveling up in GW2 is done rather fast and 2) will not help new players learning about game mechanics as fighting for your life against some Lvl 15 Boar can teach you things where rushing from A to B will not.

Edited by lokh.2695

6 minutes ago, Super Hayes.6890 said:

I am totally on board with a basic mount iiiiiif:

It is two coconuts that you bang together while galloping around (think Monty Python and the Holy Grail) I know you can all get on board with that! I'm actually serious, I want this 🤣

Finally... a forum suggestion I can get behind.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Dear ANet,

Will you please just remove stealth from thieves or this game once and for all?

It's making everybody else's experience of this game very unpleasant. 

Especially when they can kill you with one hit. 

That's not on, and frankly I am getting extremely annoyed and frustrated with the matter.

In occasions, you 1on1 with other classes, and if you win, along comes his buddy thief to ruin the rest of your WvW session.

I can't stand that class anymore.

I had 5 thieves and reduced them to just 2, which I kept because of RPG purposes... otherwise would have delete them all by now.

That's how much I hate the class.

Please realise once and for all that thief is too overpowered. 

Would you please listen?

You can't do anything in WvW without them ruining our joy of this game. 

They have too much dps, speed, blindness, evades, cc, shadowsteps, and the freaking invisibility that just doesn't go away.

All we other players do is avoid these nonsense, nightmares that spoil and drain the fun out of everybody else playing this game.

Can't you see that?

They are like an pest fly, that really annoying friend that everyone avoids, a plague amongst this game.

Please, for the love of God and all the other 99% of players... remove stealth from this game.

Thanks.

Edited by SoulGuardian.6203
  • Confused 3

24 minutes ago, Andy.5981 said:

Giving any players mounts in core tyria would also reduce sales of Paths of Fire, meaning less money for Anet.

Nope, you just tie access to PoF. Pretty sure the point here is to give new players a way to get a mount earlier, not get one without owning PoF, which would actually make PoF more appealing to buy since you can get gameplay benefit from it sooner. Honestly surprised to hear this isn't already the case. Gliders I understand since they aren't very useful outside of HoT map design, but mounts are a more generic kind of feature that are seen as a given in a lot of other games.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Nothing wrong with carrying people around on a mount.  I did it on WoW, and would dump them off in obscure places if they afk'd....great fun!

When I started the game, I really liked seeing all the mounts in core Tyria.  I very consciously played core map on foot, HoT with only the glider (yikes yeh I love going back with a mount now), and then PoF I acquired the mounts.  Personal choice to play the game as originally designed.  If that's discouraging to you to see other people with them, then you must be very sad also about their equipment, achievements, collections, etc. because there is always someone who has more and has played longer.  Is it really only about having all the shinies right off?  

Also, if they had novelty/limited use ground mounts, would you also hand over the flying mounts which are achievements in their own right?  I took the time and gold and investments to have those, why devalue from that experience?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

58 minutes ago, Labjax.2465 said:

Nope, you just tie access to PoF. Pretty sure the point here is to give new players a way to get a mount earlier, not get one without owning PoF, which would actually make PoF more appealing to buy since you can get gameplay benefit from it sooner. Honestly surprised to hear this isn't already the case. Gliders I understand since they aren't very useful outside of HoT map design, but mounts are a more generic kind of feature that are seen as a given in a lot of other games.

If you tie it to PoF, then the new player can simply go into PoF and get the raptor mount.

Gliders are very useful outside of HoT.  Not sure what game you're playing?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Brought this subject up many times before and I still believe that the best way to do it without putting resources into a new "beginner mount" is to simply make the Warclaw function as the first and only core game mount.

It is already a little diminished in PvE compared to the PoF mounts making it a fitting first mount.

It's accessible through WvW which is core game content, so you do not need expansions to play it.

If the Warclaw did become a core game mount it would be a massive incentive for players without expansions (free accounts) to try WvW, even if it is just to unlock it.

Making the Warclaw more available like this would also help lessen the mobility difference between those who have mounts and those who do not.. and not just in PvE but also WvW.

Also if the Warclaw was a core game mount, it would also add more incentive for players to purchase expansion content to get the better PvE focused PoF mounts as well.

There are a lot of pros to doing this imo.
Warclaws should be a core game mount, they're the best choice for it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Anet could make raptor unlocked for free players since you still need PoF to lvl the masteries to make it any good. That way warclaw could still be abtainable for free players in wvw still without having to change much. Anet already announced they are going to make gliders free for everyone anyway.

Also, i think anyone that says that no mount should be used for free players, or new players, just forgot how difficult it is to do anything without the mounts. I play the game for about 7 years and also forgot how difficult the game was without mounts, you can bypass almost anything with them. Sure, we didn't need them back then, but back then not having a mount was a rule that everyone had to follow since there weren't any. Just recently that i bought the game for a friend could i see how discouraging it is for new players to continue playing the game, i even felt the need to stop using my mounts while playing with my friend just so they didn't get even more annoyed and understand that they just needed to get to lvl 80 and bypass the whole personal story, living world seasons and 1 expanssion just to do a quest to get a raptor. Can you imagine how little you feel seeing so many players zooming and flying past  you, doing all events for daily completionist while you have to depend on someone else if you even have someone else to help you find the events for completing your daily. Sure, you can use a lvl 80 booster, you'll just skip the "tutorial" that getting your first character to 80 is supposed to be, just to get a mount that you can't even have at full strength because you still need its masteries, just for the hope that you can keep up with everyone else. You'll have siege turtle now, sure, but still those that don't have anyone to help them will still be left behind to fend of for themselves.

Edited by Noenp.2041
  • Confused 1