Which profession gonna be your spear main?

Which profession gonna be your spear main?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Now that all spear previews are out, which profession will be your spear wielding main?

• Guardian
    • Revenant
    • Warrior
    • Engineer
    • Ranger
    • Thief
    • Elementalist
    • Mesmer
    • Necromancer
    • None of the above (state your reason)

I chose Ranger (specifically Soulbeast), but the beta will show, if I stick with sword/axe + hammer or if the latter will be replaced by spear. It will be really tough for spear though, because hammer has lots of AOE, CC and a buffremove.

So far my favourites are Engineer's and Revenant's spears.

But if the melee gimmick ends up being just a small portion of the damage, Warrior's spear may end up being my favourite.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 1

Ranger is my main so I will definitely check out spear on them extensively.

However, with spear becoming a ranged power option for Ele, I will take a look into Weaver and Catalyst again.
I played Weaver with sword for a while, but the fast rotation plus everything melee was never that fun to play on squishy Ele.
I tried Catalyst a bit with hammer and didn't really like it. Mainly because of hammer (and melee again) I think.

With spear being ranged (even if it's only 900) I hope for more gameplay options I like.

• Confused 1

I am definitelly trying spear/staff ranger, I am definitelly trying spear/staff warrior, I am considering spear/staff guardian, I am considering trying spear on my virt. Other classes spear either does not fit the vibes of my character of said class, or flat out I do not own character of that class.

On 6/21/2024 at 6:35 AM, phandaria.4891 said:

Or you can wait till the beta before answering. 😉

Well, my main has always been Guardian and that won't change regardless of whether I like the spear or not.

• Like 3

I have like 3k hours in Rev, it's almost all I play. Spear looks awful. Every single skill is abysmally slow, the range is too limiting, the costs of skills meant to be spammed is too high (5 Raze casts on a boss to stack it would be 50 energy), having no cover condis for pvp/wvw make cleansing your dmg trivial. Spear is dead on arrival for Rev if, at the very very least, the Speed and Costs aren't addressed. The range really should be as well, but I could live with spear being basically just a melee weapon if it wasn't so slow. The hybrid power/condi nature makes the lack of cover condi slightly less bad, too, but also probs needs to be looked at

• Like 1

I am zero excited for spears untill I have tried them out myself, so my current guess would be Guardian, because I will play through the story with him. Ele spear does look like it has potential to somewhat make me want to play Elementalist again, and Necro and Thief looked interesting, too.

• Confused 2

Posted (edited)
On 6/22/2024 at 4:44 AM, Zera.9435 said:

None, because I haven't tried any of them out yet. Delete this post and bring it back on the day before release. You'll get real responses then.

Well, at least we will have a dataset to show the expectation from the preview. The poll after beta test can be another dataset to see whether those expectations are met or not.

At the moment, seems like Elementalist spear is in the lead.

Edited by phandaria.4891
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

I main Guardian even though we didn't get as much of an exciting spear concept as Thief, Elemntalist or Ranger, I will still mainly use it on my Guard. 

But I will for sure go for a 100% map completion and WvW roaming on my Thief as I consider Thieve's spear as the best design concept. 

Edited by Assic.2746

After the live stream, only the spears for Mesmer and Engineer remained somewhat interesting to me.

But I don't like the Clarity mechanic on Mesmer's spear, so if that has too much impact on the overall tuning of the spear, that one falls through for me, too.

• Confused 1

ele, its good that after 12 years, 4 new melee/close weapons and 3 new melee/close elite specs

Anet have realized that people picking the mage class might have picked it because they want to stand back and sling ranged spells...

WHO KNEW RIGHT?!

still disappointed that we need to play the mage class hurling spears instead of getting a staff rework, but hey, we'll work with what we have.

now if they can just make overloads 1200 range ground target skills we might actually have a functional ranged ele.

Edited by Liewec.2896
  • Like 3

Visually I love Mesmer the most, and it looks to have some fun play.  I won't know until the beta what new alt I'm making to center around spear use, though.  But probably it'll be Warrior, Necro, or Mesmer, based on the preview plus my nixing medium ones since I've not made that legendary armor set yet.  If I had the armor, Ranger would be in the running too.