Guild wars 3

I think corporate directors often do not actually understand what goes on at their companies, especially when the company is split between many different languages and continents. I wouldn't be surprised if he just said what he thought was true at the time, which is that ArenaNet is making a sequel to GW2, but in reality he's talking about the future GW2 expansions that we know are currently in development. The actual distinction between a new game and an expansion isn't as important if you only think about video game content releases in terms of profits. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 6

I am...not thrilled.

But we do need to keep in mind the apparent context: it's said that the IDEA of GW3 is greenlit. As in, "Sure, maybe one day we can actively focus on its development; seems like a good idea in the future." Not "Okay, all systems go, let's actively start developing this thing!"

So that's reassuring.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

10 minutes ago, Knighthonor.4061 said:

What mmo developers can handle having more than one MMORPG than? Because they all have bugs 🐛, yet many studios still make multiple MMORPGs. That's never stopped ️ them before. 

They have the team sizes to do so, though, and likely operate through larger publishers. A single studio does not usually undertake the running of multiple MMORPGs simultaneously. Remember, there is a difference between Publisher and Developer. In the circumstances surrounding ANet they self publish, due to necessity likely from NCSoft West getting downsized pretty significantly several years ago, and any other NCSoft related MMORPGs (Blade & Soul, Lineage, Aion, etc) in the west are all run by their individual studios supporting them.

Currently really only Blizzard accomplishes this, technically, due to the fact that they have such a large studio it being under Activision itself. They operate several variations of WoW; Retail, Classic Hardcore, Classic Season of Discovery, and Classic WoTLK (soon to be Classic Cataclysm).

• Confused 3

To be honest, I will not believe it until ANET is giving us information, until that day it also can be an early April 1st hoax.

But ...

... if it's true ....

First of all, I will not start another MMORPG all over again, did that before and it will not happen again, I'm just too old for that.

Second, I will consider GW2 a dead game the day GW3 is officially announced by ANET and I will not put any more money in a dead game. Period.

Edited by eMKa.8096
  • Like 10
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Anet need to confirm or quash this right away.

Right now the feeling is that if GW3 is in the works, gw2 is devalued. No point spending time and money grinding out stuff, buying skins, working on legendaries.

How long is Anet committed to GW2? how many expansions will they commit to?

If GW3 in the works, AT ANY STAGE (no corporate kitten about reviews and such). And if so when would a projected timeline be.

Just the existence of this information is harmful to Gw2.

• Like 19
  • Confused 2

Personally I have great doubts about the feasibility or interest I could bring to such a project,
not only because the current state of Guild Wars 2 leaves much to be desired, but also in terms of how they have treated their community for several consecutive years with indifference. It is unimaginable to me to envision a Guild Wars 2 based on the disastrous foundations of what Guild Wars 2 has become, and yet have no idea what era it is (past before Guild Wars) or thinking of a future (Aurène Awakening?). I have a hard time imagining how they can correct the defects of the second opus. For the rest nothing says that it will necessarily be an MMO (RPG), what is certain is that with such ads they have interest to put theirs, and that it is qualitative, I would have no pity in this regard, Otherwise I would not even put a toe if the results do not suit me.  I left Guild Wars 2 since the announcement of SoTo (which I followed very quickly backstage via YouTube) not regretting my departure so far. They’re going to need a lot of arguments and a lot of work if they’re going to convince the people who left. Guild Wars 2 died for me and ArenaNet lost my trust.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Cameirus.8407 said:

Anet need to confirm or quash this right away.

Right now the feeling is that if GW3 is in the works, gw2 is devalued. No point spending time and money grinding out stuff, buying skins, working on legendaries.

How long is Anet committed to GW2? how many expansions will they commit to?

If GW3 in the works, AT ANY STAGE (no corporate kitten about reviews and such). And if so when would a projected timeline be.

Just the existence of this information is harmful to Gw2.

Why would the GW3 devalue GW2? GW1 is still out there for those of us who want to enjoy it, thus I don't see why GW2 couldn't also survive while 3rd one would take it's own turn in the world of Tyria. It's commendable that players have spent thousands of hours into GW2, but it's not something that should keep the franchise from moving forward.

When we hopped from GW1 into GW2 the player base did change quite a bit, as GW2 was nothing like what us GW1 veterans were used to. Still bunch of us stayed due to wanting to experience Tyria on a new age. People will keep investing time and effort into GW2 as long as they find it enjoyable, and perhaps even the GW2 players will get Hall of Monuments style achievement safe to gain some cool extras on GW3 also, thus being able to carry over some cool titles and gear to the next game.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1

As a long-term veteran of GW1 and GW2 with a significant amount of progress unlocking skins and crafting legendaries, I'd probably skip out on GW3, unless that stuff was able to be carried over to GW3.  I'm also not a fan of the likelihood of a GW3 MMO fracturing the playerbase, similar to what happened with GW2's launch.  However, if GW3 happens to be a singleplayer or 4-player co-op game that doesn't compete with GW2 as an MMO, then I'd be fine with it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 6
  • Confused 1

well that will be the end of guild wars for me, unless they transfer everything over to gw3 (charcters/legendaries/achievements etc.) which i know they wont do.  Won't start a new game from scratch and they wont make any new content for gw2. So yay?

Edited by Jumpin Lumpix.6108
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 2

if they make gw3 i will be done with NCSOFT games, unless they transfer all of the stuff from our gw2 accounts to gw3.  In my opinion THey should overhaul gw2 graphics and fix all the code and expand it.  Especially since it is a horizontal progression game.

Edited by Jumpin Lumpix.6108
  • Like 8
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Jumpin Lumpix.6108 said:

well that will be the end of guild wars for me, unless they transfer everything over to gw3 (charcters/legendaries/achievements etc.) which i know they wont do.  Won't start a new game from scratch and they wont make any new content for gw2. So yay?

it will be like gw1 it still exist but the big party is at gw3.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

Just now, Balsa.3951 said:

yah they did this once, its sad i never play gw1 anymore cuz i already did everything in the game.   If they had kept making new content for gw1 i would still play it but they ditched it, which is probably what they will do to gw2

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

56 minutes ago, Balsa.3951 said:

gw3 comming

No, it's not...

It was mentioned at a shareholders meeting and that's literally it.

A possible GW3 game is in the review stage, which means Ncsoft will look at it and at some time may decide to greelight or not.

It's really not more than "hey, what about GW3? - Yeah, we could look at if it makes sense some time".

Edited by kiroho.4738
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

GW2 is old. Really old. The engine is old, the graphics are old, the community is old and the coding is a mess as a result of being old. Does that mean it's time to move on? Not if you're comparing it to WoW Classic, or OSR. Feel free to point out other successful old MMOs, but the age of this game is NOT subjective.

I think we should give it a chance. Even if it's just prettier Guild Wars 2.  Let's see what they're cooking.

• Like 11
  • Confused 12

5 minutes ago, Thundabolt.8541 said:

GW2 is old. Really old. The engine is old, the graphics are old, the community is old and the coding is a mess as a result of being old. Does that mean it's time to move on? Not if you're comparing it to WoW Classic, or OSR. Feel free to point out other successful old MMOs, but the age of this game is NOT subjective.

I think we should give it a chance. Even if it's just prettier Guild Wars 2.  Let's see what they're cooking.

I agree, lots of  speculation going on, it'd be nice to hear from Anet.

• Like 6
  • Confused 2

People in this thread are taking a statement out of context. It's really a huge assumption to to jump to conclusions when ANet has already made clear that they are planning expansions out to 2025 now, and that was at the end of 2023, so likely the next expansion in 2026 is already in the brainstorming phase.

If there is a GW3 my money is it being on a phone game that is basically just GW1 but for phones.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

Personally, Id love a guild wars 3 with better graphics/models and better combat closer to BDO but without their horrid progression system. Keep what made guild wars 2 great and the awesome additions they've made and build upon them

• Like 2
  • Confused 9

If GW3 actually became a thing in the future, it'd probably kill both GW2 and itself.

Splitting the player base into players moving over to GW3, players staying in GW2 and people completely moving away from the franchise won't be beneficial for anyone.

1 hour ago, Balsa.3951 said:

It'd probably be a medium-sized party at most.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 11
  • Confused 2