Blissful Skirt is....cringe.

NeutralBurn.3829

On 10/1/2024 at 5:38 PM, NeutralBurn.3829 said:

First...why "Blissful" (extremely happy, full of joy, providing happiness, etc)? Why not...PLAID skirt? Tartan skirt? Etc.

Seriously, apply blissful to any other clothing thing, and it's just bizarre. Joyful pants. Extremely Happy robe.  Ew.

Second...clearly modeled on Humans/norns, with Asura and Charr as an afterthought. As usual.  Any movement for Asura or Charr, and you're just looking at underpants. Repeatedly.

I just don't get it. It's not related to Janthir, Mad King, or anything else going on.

😬

I agree. I have chars of each race and gender and it's just ugly on all of them. The boots look stupid, they wouldn't stay on your feet when you walk, and the skirt/leggings are a horrible shape- especially on sylvari. The swish physics are nice, but that's the only positive i have for this awful design.

• Confused 1

For some reason it amuses me to point out that: sylvari don't have sexual organs.  They have recreational organs.  Only the giant trees produce sylvari.  The sylvari themselves are technically sexless.  With no procreative motive the sylvari are quite free to be whatever, and to wear whatever.  Sylvari mains obviously made the superior choice in regards to fashion and lore.

Edited by Zebulous.2934
i
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 10/1/2024 at 9:38 AM, NeutralBurn.3829 said:

I just don't get it. It's not related to Janthir, Mad King, or anything else going on.

😬

Blissful 

adjective
adjective: blissful
  1. extremely happy; full of joy.

Opposite miserable

To understand it, you'll have to not be miserable some of the time. One advice would be to save misery for important things, and generally that does not include fictional underpants

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

On 10/1/2024 at 9:38 AM, NeutralBurn.3829 said:

Seriously, apply blissful to any other clothing thing, and it's just bizarre. Joyful pants. Extremely Happy robe.  Ew.

if none of your clothes have ever made you happy, perhaps you might like to experiment with some different clothes. see if you can find an outfit that makes you happy.

"Does it spark joy?" ~ Marie Condo

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

Hello and happy Wednesday! Quick reminder!

What we are gonna do: Enjoy it if you love it and tune in next week for different items if you don't love it. Enjoy yourself in game. (Because that's why we're all here anyway: we enjoy the same game!)

What we are not gonna do: Yuck someone else's yum and/or declare that your preference is the only objectively correct one. 

The vast majority of this thread is already doing this, so keep it up and thank you! 

Please acknowledge that disgust is an involuntary reaction.  Albeit one that is not shared equally among the population.  Expression of disgust is legitimate, and like all other emotions is deserving of consideration.  

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 13

6 hours ago, Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:

Please acknowledge that disgust is an involuntary reaction.  Albeit one that is not shared equally among the population.  Expression of disgust is legitimate, and like all other emotions is deserving of consideration.  

"If you don't have anything nice to say, it's best to say nothing at all" and "It isn't hurting anyone, so mind your own business" come to mind. An early social cue you are supposed to learn as a kid is when it's appropriate to outwardly express disgust and how to express that disgust. Maybe also take a minute to ponder why you have a disgust reaction to this in general. 

There are legitimate complaints to be had with the skirt (clipping, dyes, anachronistic, rigging limitations stopping the socks at the ankles), but being wearable by males in the year of our Lord 2024 ain't it, and, if seeing a guy in a skirt bothers you to the point of disgust in a video game, that might be something worth unpacking with a professional.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 9
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

I agree with OP that the name is just some random, completely unrelated, title to some kind of clothing.

(It just doesn't matter to me though)

On 10/1/2024 at 7:06 PM, Farohna.6247 said:

It's autumn (for the northern hemisphere), it's a plaid skirt and boots, it's cute and cozy with a sweater. 

Seen plaid in spring just as much as in fall and winter. Not as skirt though.

On 10/1/2024 at 8:20 PM, Kaliwenda.3428 said:

Will preview it on my other characters when I log back in tonight.

I thought it looking good on male Norn.

As good as plaid can look.

gw582.jpg.b0fe842818850391f94d2159faadd2e1.jpg

😆😆😆

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

19 hours ago, Omega.6801 said:

My problem is that it's another skin that doesn't fit the overal aesthetic of the game and goes for the lowest bar available. I know we have abandoned the aesthetic coherence ship years ago, so I'm not even angry about it. But I understand how people can be. We're only a few "suggestions" away from police uniforms, STOP-hammers and rubber duck helmets.

I just want to point out that I completely agree with this core principle, and am also concerned about crossing the line into ridiculous, Asian-money-grubbing-MMO levels of incoherence.

I just happen to believe we're a lot farther off from it than most games of this age could be. At least for human characters, I feel like enough care was taken to ensure the skin at least looks good, and could have come from the mind of a particularly imaginative Tyrian.

While I'm fairly forgiving of most armor skins (especially those that imitate clothing, it's really only imagination/culture that limits designs there), I am much more ready to draw the line on more technologically-related skins. The most recent example is the speedboat skiff. I look at that thing and immediately have the "oh this isn't from Tyria, it's purely an IRL insert," feeling.

Edited by voltaicbore.8012
  • Like 3
  • Confused 3

33 minutes ago, voltaicbore.8012 said:

I just want to point out that I completely agree with this core principle, and am also concerned about crossing the line into ridiculous, Asian-money-grubbing-MMO levels of incoherence.

I just happen to believe we're a lot farther off from it than most games of this age could be. At least for human characters, I feel like enough care was taken to ensure the skin at least looks good, and could have come from the mind of a particularly imaginative Tyrian.

While I'm fairly forgiving of most armor skins (especially those that imitate clothing, it's really only imagination/culture that limits designs there), I am much more ready to draw the line on more technologically-related skins. The most recent example is the speedboat skiff. I look at that thing and immediately have the "oh this isn't from Tyria, it's purely an IRL insert," feeling.

That boat sailed many years ago with a bow that fires unicorns 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

It's one skin out of a bajillion.  Anet has released a ton of spiky outfits, obnoxiously glowy outfits, and much, much more sexualized clothing than a skirt and some thigh-highs.  Is it immersion breaking?  So is everything.  Who cares?  I'm surrounded by 10-foot-tall people with glowing halos and huge wings made of knives and I'm working on a legendary spear made out of a shark.  It's nice to have something that is just cute for a change.  And oh, no, boys might wear it.  There's a lot of Char and Norn warriors wearing pink tutus and maid outfits out there already.  I think we'll live through it.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

As a Scottish man (indeed, of Clan Scott) who regularly wears a kilt and long socks, this conversation is amusing to me. 

Most of you appear to take this as a matter of modern sexuality... exploration, but for me, it's hilariously traditional old school.  Kilts are a traditional form of dressing for men in my family and modern pleated skirts were invented so women could participate in cultural heritage festivals, both because women traditionally did not wear kilts and to simultaneously allow them to maintain their femininity.  That's why kilts have tartan, but pleated skirts are usually just plaid.  In reality of course, nowadays no one is going to be stopping a woman from choosing to wear a kilt if she wants to, but usually you only see it in pipe bands or military outfits.

However, my in game character clearly never learned how to sit properly with a kilt.  Gentlemen, if you ever decide to wear a kilt the traditional way, do NOT sit like that.  Highlanders tend to not have much patience with such.

**edit:  sorry, it's the /sleep **

Edited by PixelHero.5849
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, PixelHero.5849 said:

However, my in game character clearly never learned how to sit properly with a kilt.  Gentlemen, if you ever decide to wear a kilt the traditional way, do NOT sit like that.  Highlanders tend to not have much patience with such.

that's what the sporran is for, weighing down the centre so you don't flash the world

• Like 2

5 hours ago, QueenKeriti.5176 said:

"If you don't have anything nice to say, it's best to say nothing at all" and "It isn't hurting anyone, so mind your own business" come to mind. An early social cue you are supposed to learn as a kid is when it's appropriate to outwardly express disgust and how to express that disgust. Maybe also take a minute to ponder why you have a disgust reaction to this in general. 

There are legitimate complaints to be had with the skirt (clipping, dyes, anachronistic, rigging limitations stopping the socks at the ankles), but being wearable by males in the year of our Lord 2024 ain't it, and, if seeing a guy in a skirt bothers you to the point of disgust in a video game, that might be something worth unpacking with a professional.

Those mantras roughly equate to "Sit down, shut up, and don't complain about what I'm doing to you."  Anyone who tells you that you're not allowed to voice your protests does not have your interests, nor your well-being, in their mind.  That is one of those social cues that it is best to un-learn, because otherwise you'll be pressured Milgram Experiment Style into horrible things because, by golly, it's just never the appropriate time to complain.  

Personally I don't feel disgust.  But, others do.  There's been multiple studies that have shown that feelings of disgust, reversion, offense, etc, are actually features that are hard-wired into the brain.  More importantly, these features are not evenly distributed among the population.  A great deal of the political strife in the western world can be broken down into two groups: people with the disgust response, and people without it.  When Rubi makes a statement like "don't yuck other's yum," she's effectively telling half the population that your concerns are illegitimate, your worldview and lived experiences are invalid, you are not worthy of consideration, we do not want your money, even if all of that is involuntary on your part.  Except instead of being upfront about it, it's coached in cutesy speak.

Even your own statement about the appropriateness of expressing disgust is sneaking in the presupposition that those who are disgusted are not as legitimate or worthy of respect as those who aren't.  You're arbitrarily putting weight of one person's feelings over another.  Maybe take a minute to ponder why you think this way in general, and consider unpacking with a professional this inclination of yours.

I don't expect Rubi to change her views.  I want everyone to acknowledge what Rubi is doing here.  I'm one of the few people with the knowledge to understand what is happening, and sheer gall to say it.  By saying we're not allowed to declare our preferences as an objectively correct one, that is itself a preference she is declaring as objectively correct.  Her statement isn't in ambiguity or impartialness.  It is heavily biased toward one political demographic, hidden in childlike diction.  I'd much prefer Rubi be straight with us, rather than slyly hoping nobody's noticed.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 10