World Boss Portal Device [Merged]

• ArenaNet Staff

@Scarlett.1605 said:

@Witch of Doom.5739 said:Does this work for HoT and PoF events/bosses, or only central Tyria? Want to make sure before I buy. thx

Only for Central Tyria Bosses.

Thanks so much. Dang, just went from "must buy" to "eh." :-(

@Gaile Gray.6029 since this only works with central tyria bosses, could/would you inquire about new bosses added or if there will be new devices created for each respective expansion (HoT/PoF)?

Hey there. I actually sorta answered this earlier, but I was testing accounts and it got wonky. Here I am not testing accounts, and I can say I did share this thread and your thoughts about the device and your general approval of the concept, which the devs appreciated very much. The short answer is that there aren't plans to expand or duplicate this device for other bosses or for the expansion packs. I imagine the team is always considering new ideas, though, so please do share them now and in the future! Plans can change, good ideas can be revisited -- you know how that goes. :)

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a question for Anet regarding portaling to (previously) locked way points, unlocking them for that character - Is this intended behavior? I know that this works because I've tested it several times.
If using this device to unlock way points is a bug that Anet is going to fix, I want to know because I will ask for a refund. To me the functionality of this device is being able to quick;y join a group with a character that doesn't have the WP and there isn't time to run, or to help alts get to places they haven't visited yet. If that functionality was to be taken out, I would not consider this device to be worth the price. So I would please like to know if the WP unlock is intended functionality , or a bug to be removed .

This has come very nice features, and some of them have not been yet explained very well.

1) This device will let you set up or disable account-wide alerts for threats(World Bosses) that are "Approaching"(25 minutes out) and "Imminent"(10 minutes out) The alerts come in on the chat console in yellow text.(Just like the update messages - I wish they'd please change the color or font)2) When activated device will display a list of "Approaching" and "Imminent" threats and let you choose which one you want to travel to. If two threats are scheduled at the same time, you have both as options.3) The device will transport you to the way point nearest the World Boss, or in at least one case (Sunset Cove) a place near the way point. If you do not have the way point, it will transport you anyway, and that way point will be unlocked for that character. If the way point is contested, you will still be transported there.4) The device only works for level 80 characters. I dislike this, but I guess it is to keep the functionality simple. There is no needed for device to compare character level versus area level, etc... I really wish you could use this for characters that matched or exceeded the level of the Boss/area, but I can live with it.5) You can only select "Approaching" and "Imminent" threats to travel to. It doesn't display a list of all possible destinations like a Living Story Portal Tome, only upcoming bosses.(those coming up in 10 or 25 minutes)<edit, clarity>

@Elden Arnaas.4870 said:I have a question for Anet regarding portaling to (previously) locked way points, unlocking them for that character - Is this intended behavior? I know that this works because I've tested it several times.

If using this device to unlock way points is a bug that Anet is going to fix, I want to know because I will ask for a refund. To me the functionality of this device is being able to quick;y join a group with a character that doesn't have the WP and there isn't time to run, or to help alts get to places they haven't visited yet. If that functionality was to be taken out, I would not consider this device to be worth the price. So I would please like to know if the WP unlock is intended functionality , or a bug to be removed .

I would imagine, if the WP is open, this would be similar to using a Teleport to a friend to get to a map or WP you do not have. Unless you mean portaling to a contested WP?

Just a small feedback. Device is cool. But it benefits only owner. Rest of your party-squad, who do world boss with you, won't even notice it.

There should ability to send alert to party\squad chat about threats. No need to be autonomus, just on demand.Ex. of alert send in party chat: Imminent Threat - Claw of Jormag [waypoint] in 'ETA time'

Party-Squad alert can be imlemented in Right-Click on Device.Right-Click - Send Alert to Party\Squad (if you are in squad, squad higher priority over party) - Send approaching threat\current active threat.

P.s. if not for party-squad only, alerts can go into your current active chat-channel.

Yeah my suggestion would be is to get this to work with bounties too and then make them both reward nicely to some degree based on where it is that you are killing these from. Since both of them seem to reward less than WvW does lol. Anyways with current events/holidays that sort of thing making special limited time world bosses so even if you do this every day that there are some that aren't the same thing. Also having some that fight each other like the jormag claw and the bohmoth fighting each other in divinities reach or something like that.

Anyways I kind of like the device but at the same time feel like its another gem item that will collect dust on a storage character if it doesn't have some ummphh added to it.

no need even if it's cheap, i have my browser to open boss timer when starting up my computer, having it opened on my secondary screen

the big question is...... does it make you skip the queue into populated maps?

kinda pointless if it just port you into an overflow that's gonna fail

we need map queuing like WvW when trying taxing into full map so it's first come first serve basis, not who gets lucky...... and spending 15mins spamming join map instance is destroying my mouse buttons :disappointed:

One more suggestion. I don't know if it is implemented. But so far i didn't notice Device saying this.Remember Tresure Hunter collection for Home Chest Node? Please add notification about Eye of Zhaitan event, Ogre Wars Event and etc. And also Orr Temple events.Notifications like: Ogre Wars Pre-Event started. Lyssa Temple Defense\Capture started. Eye of Zhaitan Pre-event Started.

@Aeon.4583 said:One more suggestion. I don't know if it is implemented. But so far i didn't notice Device saying this.Remember Tresure Hunter collection for Home Chest Node? Please add notification about Eye of Zhaitan event, Ogre Wars Event and etc. And also Orr Temple events.Notifications like: Ogre Wars Pre-Event started. Lyssa Temple Defense\Capture started. Eye of Zhaitan Pre-event Started.

I really don't think those are technically possible as they're not on a timer. Each instance of a map have those events at different times, and the game doesn't seem able to transmit a map state outside the active map.

@Aeon.4583 said:

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:I really don't think those are technically possible as they're not on a timer. Each instance of a map have those events at different times, and the game doesn't seem
able
to transmit a map state outside the active map.Ley-Infused Lodestone does that without any problems.

Those events (Anomaly) are on a timer. Anything that's on a timer is simple, as all versions of a map will start the event at (roughly) the same time.

Look instead at Levvi's Device for the Bloodstone Crazed animals - it does two things: checks against a timer (beast is scheduled to spawn) and report on the state of the current map (beast has been killed on this map instance).

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:Report on the state of the current map (beast has been killed on this map instance).State of the current map This is what important from all what happens on Tresure hunter bosses. Ok if it is impossible to make automatic alerts, as you imply here. Then seperate section in Device UI with information about those zone will be atleast something.

@Aeon.4583 said:

@"Tanner Blackfeather.6509" said:Report on the state of the
current
map (beast has been killed
on this map instance
).State of the
current
map This is what important from all what happens on Tresure hunter bosses. Ok if it is impossible to make automatic alerts, as you imply here. Then seperate section in Device UI with information about those zone will be atleast something.

Oh absolutely! Something like a "Chaotic" section with a notice like "These threats are less predictable and thus can not be detected from great distance (you must be in the same map to recieve information)" showing state of those events! That would be a huge QoL item!

@"Elden Arnaas.4870" said:The alerts come in on the chat console in yellow text.(Just like the update messages - I wish they'd please change the color or font)

It's almost certainly because it's a "system notification" class of message, just like the "new build soon" and "new build ready, kicking you in 4 minutes and 33 seconds"(1) messages. The obvious solution is to change the class of message, perhaps to a new class that's for items like this.

(1) You can only get this specific time period if your character is called John Cage. :p =) B)

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:

@"Aeon.4583" said:

Oh absolutely! Something like a "Chaotic" section with a notice like "These threats are less predictable and thus can not be detected from great distance (
you must be in the same map to recieve information
)" showing state of those events! That would be a
huge
QoL item!

When you use Phasic Distortion Reader, Ley-Infused Lodestone with active Invasion\Anomaly, those items show you text with word 'Active'. This 'Active' is not locked under strict timer, but yet items still show it. So Device does some thing, until 'current threat' Boss is not done. The very example of current event scan.

Adding event check on Tresure Hunter bosses will be a big QoL change. Tresure Hunter hard enough to complete as it is. Little heads up to those events without jumping from one map to another will be atleast nice if not GREAT. Mechanics of event scans already present in game, it won't hurt to add few new ones.

But, as for current thread about Device. Tresure Hunter event checks are less relevant for me (tho it will be nice), unlike sending alert to party or squad.

P.s. Fo ex. Ogre Wars is one meta-event with few other side events. Status of event changes like:Ogres control Bloodgorge Watch and Sapper's Delve.Charr forces are assaulting Foulbear Kraal and its leaders. Additional support can be gained by taking Sapper's Delve.Etc.This is what can be used for tracking Ogre Wars status.

@Aeon.4583 said:Just a small feedback. Device is cool. But it benefits only owner. Rest of your party-squad, who do world boss with you, won't even notice it.

There should ability to send alert to party\squad chat about threats. No need to be autonomus, just on demand.Ex. of alert send in party chat: Imminent Threat - Claw of Jormag [waypoint] in 'ETA time'

Party-Squad alert can be imlemented in Right-Click on Device.Right-Click - Send Alert to Party\Squad (if you are in squad, squad higher priority over party) - Send approaching threat\current active threat.

P.s. if not for party-squad only, alerts can go into your current active chat-channel.

If this was ever added it should really only be for your party/squad - people who are grouped with you and therefore doing the same activities. I really don't want 1/2 of map chat, or all my guilds being spammed with world boss messages every time one is coming up, when I'm doing something else entirely and could't care less that a world boss is happening. There's always at least one up, and if I want to know which one it is there's plenty of ways to find out already.

Alternatively, if you think your guild or other people in the map or whoever will want to know you can always tell them when you get the notification.

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:

@Witch of Doom.5739 said:Does this work for HoT and PoF events/bosses, or only central Tyria? Want to make sure before I buy. thx

@Gaile Gray.6029 since this only works with central tyria bosses, could/would you inquire about new bosses added or if there will be new devices created for each respective expansion (HoT/PoF)?

Hey there. I actually sorta answered this earlier, but I was testing accounts and it got wonky. Here I am
not
testing accounts, and I can say I did share this thread and your thoughts about the device and your general approval of the concept, which the devs appreciated very much. The short answer is that there aren't plans to expand or duplicate this device for other bosses or for the expansion packs. I imagine the team is always considering new ideas, though, so please do share them now and in the future! Plans can change, good ideas can be revisited -- you know how that goes. :)

There could be items one can buy in expansion vendors to upgrade it. You could go to Dragon's Stand, go to the vendor there, buy an upgrade, use it, and now the Portal Device works for the Mouth of Mordremoth world boss.

This way the device won't work to go there unless you've been there before.

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:

Hey there. I actually sorta answered this earlier, but I was testing accounts and it got wonky. Here I am
not
testing accounts, and I can say I did share this thread and your thoughts about the device and your general approval of the concept, which the devs appreciated very much. The short answer is that there aren't plans to expand or duplicate this device for other bosses or for the expansion packs. I imagine the team is always considering new ideas, though, so please do share them now and in the future! Plans can change, good ideas can be revisited -- you know how that goes. :)

Since this is basically for Central Tyria, I hope the team considers adding Ley-Line Anomaly to it. My suggestion would be to drop the player on the central most waypoint for the map it will spawn in during that time.

It needs to cover events a little further out, like any within the next hour.

Alternatively, an option at the bottom to select any world boss location on the rotation and go there whenever we want.

As it stands now, it's not super useful for Teq, if you like to get there early in a specific instance before it fills up. Which, is one of the most important places for it to work, since that fu..uh..riendly (?) WP is always contested. :#

Archived