Shrine Guardian Jackal Skin

@Aulendur.4036 said:

@"Abelisk.4527" said:Amaterasu!

Inari? I mean, I'm sure the similarity with Okami is deliberate, but it's a fox, right?

It looks great, but I'm confused: which Tyrian shrines are guarded by foxes? I was expecting
when I saw the title.

Amaterasu no Okami was always depicted as wolf and well.. one part of the shrine jackal depicts that fairly well. The mountfit itself is quite a well done combination of wolf and kyubi tbh and it's actually the first mountfit I actually bought. Good job ANet I guess. But they have to thank Okami (PS2) for that (at least in my case). One of the best games ever made. Good old PS2-times. Actual games, awesome library and no live-service-trash.

Well even though many people will recognise Kyuubi from Naruto or the wolf from the game Okami (which I haven't played, but I just saw what it looks like), I don't think ANet wanted to make a reference to these stories specifically ^^ I think this Jackal skin is no more than the original Kitsune from the japanese folklore, described as having up to nine tails when it ages - they are associated with the kami Inari, whose kitsune are white and often serve as guardians of his shrines.This explains the mount's name, but yeah we still have to find the link with Tyrian shrines (I'd have guessed they come from Cantha, like the Kirins from gw Factions).

Exactly. ANet doesn't have to thank any game as inspiration. All those games need to thank Japanese mythology as inspiration, because that's where the many-tailed fox originally comes from. But it was to be expected that people would use pop culture references instead of referring to the actual source of the creature.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Aulendur.4036 said:

Inari? I mean, I'm sure the similarity with Okami is deliberate, but it's a fox, right?

It looks great, but I'm confused: which Tyrian shrines are guarded by foxes? I was expecting
when I saw the title.

Amaterasu no Okami was always depicted as wolf and well.. one part of the shrine jackal depicts that fairly well. The mountfit itself is quite a well done combination of wolf and kyubi tbh and it's actually the first mountfit I actually bought. Good job ANet I guess. But they have to thank Okami (PS2) for that (at least in my case). One of the best games ever made. Good old PS2-times. Actual games, awesome library and no live-service-trash.

Well even though many people will recognise Kyuubi from Naruto or the wolf from the game Okami (which I haven't played, but I just saw what it looks like), I don't think ANet wanted to make a reference to these stories specifically ^^ I think this Jackal skin is no more than the original Kitsune from the japanese folklore, described as having up to nine tails when it ages - they are associated with the kami Inari, whose kitsune are white and often serve as guardians of his shrines.This explains the mount's name, but yeah we still have to find the link with Tyrian shrines (I'd have guessed they come from Cantha, like the Kirins from gw Factions).

The nine-tailed fox does seem to appear in Canthan culture: there's an Assassin skill called Nine Tail Strike, which is unblockable (the same bonus that the Assassin's "fox" skills get). But as far as I know there weren't any shrines guarded by foxes in Factions - in fact I think this is the first fox to appear in-game.

@Tommo Chocolate.5870 said:

when I saw the title.

The nine-tailed fox does seem to appear in Canthan culture: there's an Assassin skill called
, which is unblockable (the same bonus that the Assassin's "fox" skills get). But as far as I know there weren't any shrines guarded by foxes in Factions - in fact I think this is the first fox to appear in-game.

It's not a fox. It's still a doge, just with nine tails. xD

@Tommo Chocolate.5870 said:

when I saw the title.

The nine-tailed fox does seem to appear in Canthan culture: there's an Assassin skill called
, which is unblockable (the same bonus that the Assassin's "fox" skills get). But as far as I know there weren't any shrines guarded by foxes in Factions - in fact I think this is the first fox to appear in-game.

You're right, I forgot about this skill! But yes both the mount and skill are inspired by the mythological kitsune, that doesn't necessarily mean that they refer to an in-game lore-friendly nine tail fox/dog/wolf/whatever. Many things in this game (or others) may act as simple Easter eggs or are in this universe without any proper explanation (for example many legendary weapons don't have any precise background story).But it would indeed still be better for all these things to have a reason to exist in this lore!

Issue I have with this skin since I purchased it: When summoning it, I see myself on the basic jackal skin after 2-3 secs he turn into the shrine guardian skin like if the game is thinking "Here is your jackal, oh! wait! this isn't the good ones...". I see it on other players too.

@"hugo.4705" said:Issue I have with this skin since I purchased it: When summoning it, I see myself on the basic jackal skin after 2-3 secs he turn into the shrine guardian skin like if the game is thinking "Here is your jackal, oh! wait! this isn't the good ones...". I see it on other players too.

GPU sometimes takes a moment to catch up. You see it all the time with players as well, loading in with the default models, then changing to their actual ones.

@"hugo.4705" said:Issue I have with this skin since I purchased it: When summoning it, I see myself on the basic jackal skin after 2-3 secs he turn into the shrine guardian skin like if the game is thinking "Here is your jackal, oh! wait! this isn't the good ones...". I see it on other players too.It also has the base red glow effect when you do the jackal teleport abilility. It changes to your dye color after a second but it still happens.

Haven't paid attention to particles colors during teleport, surely. I agree that the GPU takes a considerable time, but as example, when I use a glider, when deploying it, I see directly the blood stone glider skin not the basic one. So can't tell if it's an issue or just the time to wait.

@"hugo.4705" said:Issue I have with this skin since I purchased it: When summoning it, I see myself on the basic jackal skin after 2-3 secs he turn into the shrine guardian skin like if the game is thinking "Here is your jackal, oh! wait! this isn't the good ones...". I see it on other players too.

It does this with all mount skins, both yours and other people's. I notice it most when I go into my guild hall - there's a lot of stuff to load so when I hop on my mount it shows the default skin for a while then switches to the Branded one I'm actually using.

@Drarnor Kunoram.5180 said:

GPU sometimes takes a moment to catch up. You see it all the time with players as well, loading in with the default models, then changing to their actual ones.

it's more the client part, the more players the longer it takes to load it up.i have a 1080 but it still does that, in unpopulated areas i don't have this problem.

@Ayakaru.6583 said:

@Ayakaru.6583 said:It just kinda screams
CANTHA

Nah, that's just the community you hear screaming, because of one single skin based on a Japanese legend. Hype and jumping to conclusions. Common behavior.

A Canthan can dream,

Of course you can. But don't get your hopes up. In this overly PC age, I would find it highly unlikely that we get a Canthan expansion. The first time they did it there was a backlash as well. That certainly will not go down better in today's climate.

Very pleased with this skin, and doubly so that it is available through BLC.

After the Grand Lion, Resplendent Avialan and now this... I hope they don't release any nice springer or skimmer skins any time soon or I'm in trouble. :'(

@TheNecrosanct.4028 said:

CANTHA

Nah, that's just the community you hear screaming, because of one single skin based on a Japanese legend. Hype and jumping to conclusions. Common behavior.

A Canthan can dream,

Of course you can. But don't get your hopes up. In this overly PC age, I would find it highly unlikely that we get a Canthan expansion. The first time they did it there was a backlash as well. That certainly will not go down better in today's climate.

Really, because I also heard a lot lf voices that asians loved Factions.But I think thats such a silly reason, borderline completely stupid.Germans weren’t angry with the kurzicks?Greeks weren’t angry with the krytans?Turks, arabs, africans, none of them were angry with Elona.

@Ayakaru.6583 said:

CANTHA

A Canthan can dream,

Really, because I also heard a lot lf voices that asians loved Factions.But I think thats such a silly reason, borderline completely stupid.Germans weren’t angry with the kurzicks?Greeks weren’t angry with the krytans?Turks, arabs, africans, none of them were angry with Elona.

I don't know if it's true but what I heard is some Asian people were unhappy with the way Cantha lumped all Asian cultures in together as if they were the same thing, or at least interchangeable. Apparently it's something they're particularly sensitive about.

So it doesn't mean Anet (or any other company) can't do an Asian themed area, just that they need to either pick a country to base it on or make it original enough that it's difficult for anyone to identify things as being obviously Japanese or Chinese or Korean or whatever.

@Danikat.8537 said:

CANTHA

A Canthan can dream,

I don't know if it's true but what I heard is some Asian people were unhappy with the way Cantha lumped all Asian cultures in together as if they were the same thing, or at least interchangeable. Apparently it's something they're particularly sensitive about.

So it doesn't mean Anet (or any other company) can't do an Asian themed area, just that they need to either pick a country to base it on or make it original enough that it's difficult for anyone to identify things as being obviously Japanese or Chinese or Korean or whatever.

but thats just where the sillyness continues.In this logic, asians think the campaign is set in chinoreapan, instead of Cantha.You're not supposed to think of it as part china, korea and japan. It's just Cantha. Just Cantha. Not china, Cantha. Not japan, Cantha. Not korea, Cantha.It's a culture that looks a bit like them, but it's not it.Do asians somehow think that asian themes are only allowed if they choose 1 style and dedicate 100% to it, without any form of artistic freedom or adjustments?

@Ayakaru.6583 said:

CANTHA

A Canthan can dream,

but thats just where the sillyness continues.In this logic, asians think the campaign is set in chinoreapan, instead of Cantha.You're not supposed to think of it as part china, korea and japan. It's just Cantha. Just Cantha. Not china, Cantha. Not japan, Cantha. Not korea, Cantha.It's a culture that looks a bit like them, but it's not it.Do asians somehow think that asian themes are only allowed if they choose 1 style and dedicate 100% to it, without any form of artistic freedom or adjustments?

Looks a bit like them? Have you ever been to an Asian country? Have you ever googled Asian architecture? It looks exactly like the real thing. Besides, it's not up to us non-Asians to decide what's proper and what's not when it comes to their culture and architecture. If they feel it's inappropriate, then it is. It's their culture, after all. ANet also can't afford to alienate the Asian market. So unless they find a way to use 1 particular country as inspiration (really not that difficult: just use Japan or China, for example and we'll all recognize it as Asian; there's no need to take elements from all the different Asian cultures), or make it so that it only has elements of it but is made into its own thing, they're going stir something up. That's exactly the reason why the Canthan district in Divinity's Reach was changed to the Great Collapse, because Asian prefer their cultural representations to be uniform, not mixed up.

It's just that the Far East mindset is very different from our western mindset, something people often don't understand. It's part of their identity. So it's not up to us to say it's silly. Of course you can have that opinion, but the opinion of a westerner on the representation of Asian elements in a game really doesn't matter that much, because the culture doesn't mean anything to you personally. In fact, that's rather reductive. History, legacy, ancestry is much more important there than it is here in the west, where people don't seem to care for it that much, or at all. And yes, I'm sure there were Asian people who liked Cantha. It's not like they're a hive mind. They can have differing opinions. But there's war history between the countries and the way some of those countries deal with their war history (looking at you, Japan) doesn't engender much respect from other countries, like China or Korea. It's mostly those last 2 countries that had problems with Cantha, and they're are not always on the best of terms. Compare it to how relations between Britain and France used to be with all the wars that went on between them. Or Germany and a lot of Europe. Or how about lumping 19th century Confederate States of America in with the rest of them. I'm sure that last one will still trigger a lot of people, especially in today's climate.

So, no. Just calling it silly is reductive and shows how little you know about Asia and the history of all the different cultures there.

Also, this is going off topic now. Let's leave it at this and talk about the new mount again.

@Myrdreth.6829 said:I got the Shrine Guardian Jackal Skin after using 15 BLC keys. And not only that. Those 15 keys also gave me the advanced leather rack, 2 guaranteed wardrobe unlocks, a guaranteed weapon unlock, the exalted gloves skin and a few other things. I feel really lucky today :D

I am in love with the Shrine Guardian, he's so cute and a perfect fit for my guardian ^^

I certainly hope you went out and bought a lottery ticket too! GRATS.

Archived